• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format XY-On: Giratina EX / Hydreigon EX / Vileplume

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Adi

Aspiring Trainer
Pokemon: 19
  • 4 Giratina EX (ADR/ BDR)
  • 1 Shaymin EX
  • 3 Oddish (ADR/ BDR)
  • 3 Gloom ADR/ BDR)
  • 3 Vileplume (ADR/ BDR)
  • 1 Hoopa EX (ADR/ BDR)
  • 3 Hydreigon EX
  • 1 Milktank
Trainers/Supporters/Stadiums: 29
  • 4 Professor Sycamore
  • 3 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 1 Ace Trainer (ADR/ BDR)
  • 2 Pokemon Fan Club
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 3 AZ
  • 1 Team Flare Grunt
  • 3 Ultra Ball
  • 2 VS Seeker
  • 3 Muscle Band
  • 1 Trainers' Mail
  • 4 Giant Plant Forest (ADR/ BDR)
Energy: 12
  • 4 Double Dragon Energy
  • 4 Double Colorless Energy
  • 2 Grass Energy
  • 2 Psychic Energy
Strategy:

The main point of this deck is to get Giratina EX and Vileplume out and put your opponent in a item, stadium, special energy, and Pokemon tool lock while doing 100 damage with Giratina EX every turn. I run the Hoopa EX so when I play it on the bench I can immediately get stuff like Hydreigon EX and Giratina EX out. The Shaymin EX is there for more draw support when you can't use items to get stuff out. It is so important to get Giratina EX, Hydreigon EX, and Oddish out in the early game that I run 2 Pokemon Fan Club to insure I do. I run 4 Giant Plant Forest so that I can evolve Oddish in the early game to get the item lock as fast as possible. I appreciate all input!

Here is a link to all the Ancient Origins/ Bandit Ring (AOR/BDR) card translations.
http://www.pokebeach.com/tcg/bandit-ring

Last edited:
I think the Hex maniac will cause more trouble than advantage as it breaks the lock. The lack of search cards is gonna make getting vileplume very unlikely as well, I recommend more ultraballs and level balls to account for this. Trainers mail also seems like a waste.

Steven might be good in this deck granting you basic energy.

Pokemone center lady for defense.

Also have you considered Unowns for draw support?

Yeah I agree I was deck testing using proxies and never one did I actually use Hex Maniac but I posted a new list and I think it is much better than the one before. I never realized how good Hydreigon EX is and how much easier it makes playing against all the metal decks. I actually did consider Unowns as draw support but because I run one Shaymin EX and the Hoopa EX I don't think I need it, especially since my bench will pratically always be full. I appreciate your input and will continue to deck test with your ideas.

Why no Level Balls to enhance your bench setup speed?

Also, have you considered running Miltank (FLF) as an alternate, FAST to setup, non-EX attacker? For C energy cost, it can inflict 80 damage once Vileplume is in play.

I was actually thinking of adding some Level Balls, like maybe 2 but I am not sure what to take. I was thinking of dropping 1 Trainer's Mail, but I don't what else to drop. I have considered a Miltank and the reason I don't run one is because Giratina EX also puts them into a Special Energy, Stadium, and Pokemon Tool lock. I appreciate all input!

Last edited:
Why no Level Balls to enhance your bench setup speed?

Also, have you considered running Miltank (FLF) as an alternate, FAST to setup, non-EX attacker? For C energy cost, it can inflict 80 damage once Vileplume is in play.

Man i have been searching so long for the best non-ex basic for a giratina deck and that is actually perfect!

I have considered a Miltank and the reason I don't run one is because Giratina EX also puts them into a Special Energy, Stadium, and Pokemon Tool.

I don't understand this sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I edited the sentence so just read it again exxtrooper. I still can't decided what to drop for a second Level Ball, any ideas. I appreciate all input!

I edited the sentence so just read it again exxtrooper. I still can't decided what to drop for a second Level Ball, any ideas. I appreciate all input!

Thank you for the clarification! I'm currently doing a lot of testing with printed proxies, this is my current lise for vileplume and is what I'm going to be trying out tomorrow:

Pokemon (16)
  • 4 Giratina EX (AOR)
  • 3 Oddish (AOR)
  • 3 Gloom (AOR)
  • 3 Vileplume (AOR)
  • 1 Miltank (FLF)
  • 2 Unown (AOR)/Hydreigon EX
Trainers (32/32)
  • 4 Proffesor Sycamore
  • 4 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 4 Giant Plant Forest (AOR)
  • 4 Ultraball
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 3 Team Flare Grunt
  • 3 AZ
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Steven
  • 2 Xerosic
  • 2 Pokemon Fanclub
Energy (12)
  • 4 Double Dragon Energy
  • 2 Basic Psyichic Energy
  • 2 Basic Grass Energy

This list was gathered with the help of @TuxedoBlack through the ages.

I suggest trying to replace most of the items with supporters unless super necessary, some cards might be good on paper on a list but its easier to get a picture of the deck in practice, from what I gathered when the deck got working all the items were really dead weight, there just there for setup T1 at this point.

Last edited:
Trust me I have played against many competitive decks with my Giratina EX/ Vileplume and have never encountered a situation where my whole hand was dead because of items. Also many of the decks I have played against are XY-On, so the decks I have played with are decks I will most likely be playing against in tournaments to come. I hope this helps!

Trust me I have played against many competitive decks with my Giratina EX/ Vileplume and have never encountered a situation where my whole hand was dead because of items. Also many of the decks I have played against are XY-On, so the decks I have played with are decks I will most likely be playing against in tournaments to come. I hope this helps!

Not the whole hand, but for example i like the consistency of team flare grunts.

How did your tests go? Anything the deck did particularly good or particularly bad? How was it against M Ray decks? How was it against non Megas decks?

It actually did quite well against M Rayquaza EX itself, but it only won about 45% against Metal/ M Rayquaza EX, just because of a bad matchup I guess. Overall it did a lot better than I thought it would against all the decks including non Megas that it played against. I really liked the decks showing and think I have come up with a really good deck list. I hope this helps!

Pokemon (16)
  • 4 Giratina EX (AOR)
  • 3 Oddish (AOR)
  • 3 Gloom (AOR)
  • 3 Vileplume (AOR)
  • 1 Miltank (FLF)
  • 2 Unown (AOR)/Hydreigon EX
Trainers (32/32)
  • 4 Proffesor Sycamore
  • 4 Professor Birch's Observations
  • 4 Giant Plant Forest (AOR)
  • 4 Ultraball
  • 3 Level Ball
  • 3 Team Flare Grunt
  • 4 AZ
  • 2 Lysandre
  • 2 Steven
  • 2 Xerosic
Energy (12)
  • 4 Double Dragon Energy
  • 2 Basic Psyichic Energy
  • 2 Basic Grass Energy
While you are setting up, I suspect you would prefer to have the Miltank active after you have Vileplume in play. So, I'd suggest replacing both Unown with either Miltank or Hydreigon EX which have more HP than Unown and can possibly take more than 1 hit early game.

Btw, another thought I just had was using Gengar EX as a possible starting Poké. It's first attack drop damage counters (for C energy cost).

I plan to proxy my variation of this deck and test it this weekend; so, I should have some feedback early next week.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Unown, it only allows you to draw one card and usually your bench will be full before you even place it down if you run cards like Hydreigon EX. I prefer Shaymin EX also because if you run the Hydreigon EX, you can run Hoopa EX and pull the Shaymin EX and the Hydreigon EX's. Hope this helps!

While you are setting up, I suspect you would prefer to have the Miltank active after you have Vileplume in play. So, I'd suggest replacing both Unown with either Miltank or Hydreigon EX which have more HP than Unown and can possibly take more than 1 hit early game.

Btw, another thought I just had was using Gengar EX as a possible starting Poké. It's first attack drop damage counters (for C energy cost).

I plan to proxy my variation of this deck and test it this weekend; so, I should have some feedback early next week.

Actually, my line of thinking would be just to start with Giratina EX and power it up in hopefully two turns, but I take it this isn't actually the best idea?

Unown is there for jsut draw support, might replace them with two hydreigons.

Miltank is there to battle safeguard and aegislash or other lock types.

I'd say using two Hydreigons, if I start with either one Giratina, or one Hydreigon and a pokemon fanclub I'll be able to put all those three pokemon out and have them all with free retreat if needed, have hydreigon active until I have Giratina powered up, is that a good line of strategy or?

I'm just not sure what to do with a deck like this early game, if you have miltank out there is no way to retreat it.

After reading up a bit I have actually decided I'm going to run 1 Miltank because of the Safegaurd related Pokemon. I am going to drop the 1 Trainer's Mail for it and just hope the draw support is enough. I appreciate all input!

After reading up a bit I have actually decided I'm going to run 1 Miltank because of the Safegaurd related Pokemon. I am going to drop the 1 Trainer's Mail for it and just hope the draw support is enough. I appreciate all input!

Hydreigon goes through Aegislash, Pyroar and Safeguard pokemon though.

That is not true because Hydreigon only denies the effects of damage but if it isn't even allowed to attack then Hydreigon EX's attack does not work. If you would like though you can post your question in the Ask About A Card Ruling forum, I have already asked though. Hope this helps!

That is not true because Hydreigon only denies the effects of damage but if it isn't even allowed to attack then Hydreigon EX's attack does not work. If you would like though you can post your question in the Ask About A Card Ruling forum, I have already asked though. Hope this helps!
You asked in this thread: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thr...islash-ex-with-a-special-energy-on-it.124963/

Reply from:

"It does include Abilities. Shred will do damage as normal, with no reduction from Aegislash-EX's ability."

I think it goes through those abilites.

Actually, my line of thinking would be just to start with Giratina EX and power it up in hopefully two turns, but I take it this isn't actually the best idea?

Unown is there for jsut draw support, might replace them with two hydreigons.

Miltank is there to battle safeguard and aegislash or other lock types.

I'd say using two Hydreigons, if I start with either one Giratina, or one Hydreigon and a pokemon fanclub I'll be able to put all those three pokemon out and have them all with free retreat if needed, have hydreigon active until I have Giratina powered up, is that a good line of strategy or?

I'm just not sure what to do with a deck like this early game, if you have miltank out there is no way to retreat it.
After some additional thought, I better understand now why you'd want to start with a Giratina EX. (Note: my personal preference has typically been to have some type of attacker inflicting damage as quickly as possible).

In this deck's case, I believe the opening strategy may be:

• GO FIRST.
  • Start with a Giratina EX (low odds that it would be KOd t1). Play card search Balls and draw Supporter.
  • Bench another Giratina EX and Oddish; get Giant Plant Forrest into play; and evolve to Vileplume (t1).
  • Attach energy to benched Giratina EX.
  • Pass.
  • On t2, play AZ to pickup/recover possibly damaged active Giratina EX (or simply retreat it (for free) if you can), promote benched Giratina EX, attach necessary energy; and attack.
The locks are now in effect, get necessary Poké onto bench, attach energy, and maintain locks, etc... Win the game. In theory... lol.

Looking forward to some testing.

Last edited:
exxtrooper:
I think your are actually right about the Aegislash and Safegaurd Pokemon statement, but I realized why I actually run it is because of Dialga EX. If I can get the first attack off with a Muscle Band I can beat it, and I can do that because if my Hydreigon's are out I'll just free retreat into it. Hope this helps!

Tuxedo Black:
I have two things to tell you, for one I'm not sure that you could go from Oddish to Vileplume on your first turn even with Giant Plant Forest in the stadium spot. Correct me if I am wrong, also that is a really exact starting hand you would need to pull off what your saying, so even though in theory it is really good I don't think you will ever get off to that kind of a start. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back