Why play Pokemon?

Professor Palutena

The Queen
I was having a talk with one of my professors last week, and we got talking about motivation theories. To keep a long story short, we ended up talking about why we do what we do. I was thinking all weekend about my motivations for everything I do, and I recently started thinking about why I play competitive Pokemon.

I personally like playing it because it exercises my creativity. I like seeing what I can do with my options while still creating a viable team. A lot of people find OU limiting in the sense that such few Pokemon are actually good, but I think that's a good part of the challenge.

I also like the strategic aspect of the game. I love playing card games because I have total control over my outcome, and I love thinking turns ahead of what could possibly happen. Of course, luck is also a factor and it's pretty lame, but that's something to deal with.

So the question goes out to you guys. Why do you play competitive Pokemon?

For me, the competitive aspect of pokemon is definitely part of it - I enjoy strategy games, and Pokemon fits that bill perfectly. You get to think turns ahead, come up with a win condition, exploit weaknesses/play to your own strengths, etc. just like you would in any other strategy game. However the thing I think that motivates me most is the social atmosphere. For VG, I can skype call people from literally across the globe while we troll around on ladder, build teams, or watch each other compete, and we have a great time. For TCG it's even better - I get with a group of 4 or 5 of my best friends from Wisconsin, and we get to actually go out and travel the country to places like St. Louis, Boston, etc. The travel aspect is so much fun to me because I like to see new places, and I again, get to meet and make friends with people from across the country. It's the most fun in the world to me, and that motivates me more than any kind of a competitive drive probably ever will.

It's the great feeling of winning after a great effort in building a team and strategy. Watching the things you have worked on comes "to life" and success makes it more appeal than winning in a simple fighting game.

I play competitive Pokemon to enjoy some time with friends. I have friends at my college who play competitively and we all get together at the Video Game Club to battle each other in friendlies.

I play because I love Pokemon and the thrill of getting clutch Crits and Avoids with a team of Pokemon you carefully and meticulously labored with to get into top physical condition; can't really be put into words.

I just love to find new ways to make my favourites better in battle. I love that it needs to look up moves, stats and create new strategies by yuourself and watch mixed outcome in your Nitendo 3DS Wifi Battle Spot. To watch the team and your strategy alive.

For me, the competitive aspect of pokemon is definitely part of it - I enjoy strategy games, and Pokemon fits that bill perfectly. You get to think turns ahead, come up with a win condition, exploit weaknesses/play to your own strengths, etc. just like you would in any other strategy game. However the thing I think that motivates me most is the social atmosphere. For VG, I can skype call people from literally across the globe while we troll around on ladder, build teams, or watch each other compete, and we have a great time. For TCG it's even better - I get with a group of 4 or 5 of my best friends from Wisconsin, and we get to actually go out and travel the country to places like St. Louis, Boston, etc. The travel aspect is so much fun to me because I like to see new places, and I again, get to meet and make friends with people from across the country. It's the most fun in the world to me, and that motivates me more than any kind of a competitive drive probably ever will.
Wow! That actually sounds like a complete pokemon adventure in real world!

I never got too deep into the competitive scene until Gen 5. I never found too much challenge in the Battle Frontier in Gen 4. It felt hard, but it was not difficult. But when the Battle Subway proved to be a lot tougher than I expected, alongside the World Tournament in B2/W2, I found myself breeding for Pokemon with good natures and at least 1 perfect IV. Along with the Dream World Pokemon being given out, I was inspired to try new things and enjoy the game much more.

So competitive Pokemon became sort of a post-game enjoyment for me. Battling against others was already fun, but competitive battles feel like they're on a whole other level, and losses don't turn me away - they make me want to improve.

Just like with most games I enjoy, it's the limitations that the game sets and the ones I set on myself that make it fun, because "limits breed creativity," which is a quote from someone (might be maro) but I can't remember who for sure. It also helps that I get personally attached to some Pokemon and that leads me to trying them in every tier I can : P

Back