Discussion Why do people not play Marshadow SHL?

Definitely an underrated card, but comparing it to shaymin? Nah...
Shaymin lets you potentially draw more, and has a built in way to return to your hand.
Bench space seems to be something that a lot of decks are struggling to find room for as well.

Do you think it would be a good idea to run 1 lele 1 marshadow in a stage 2 deck or is 2 lele better?

It is purely about the bench space. I play this card in most of my sky field decks as a one of disruption + draw pokemon because there is space. If I were to take this same card and try to utilize it effectively in standard, it would have to happen in a deck like Volcanion where you can *maybe* afford the bench space. I say *maybe* because I honestly think you *can't* afford the space on the bench even in that deck. TBH, about the only decks I can see this working would be Bulu (not worth it) or Ho-Oh Salazzle (also not worth it). Ultimately, it doesn't do enough in standard to justify the bench space.

The problem is that while Marshadow SHL is a good card, it's not the best card as Oranguru, Octillery, and now Zoarak GX will give you more draw over the course of a couple turns.

The difference between Shaymin and Marshadow is that Shaymin could be returned to your hand and could also attack, for a DCE at that. That basically translates to benchspace being a problem, and for that space, you could bench an Oranguru which has unlimited uses(granted the requirements are met). Marshadow is a great card, just not nearly as good when you consider specific situations. If we still had Sky Field, I guarantee you this card would see more play. I like it in Raichu(even though I dropped it), and it can be played in Empoleon once it drops

I don't like drawing just 4 cards, I see marshadow more as a disruption, like Judge was

I don't like drawing just 4 cards, I see marshadow more as a disruption, like Judge was

True, but of course judge wastes a supporter. Marshadow would be good combo'd with Delinquent to drain your opponent's hand.

The most important benefit of Marshadow over Shaymin EX is the sniping issue. How many thousands of matches have been lost by Lysandering out a Low-HP, 2-prize Shaymin EX?

Can't see Marshadow being a staple like Shaymin was, but it could work situationally.

The only time you need extra draw support from your pokemon is when you're looking for combo pieces. Shuffling your hand back into your deck and drawing cards is vastly inferior to drawing up to a certain number when you're trying to pick out your combos.

Then you consider the fact that marshadow only draws 4 cards.

For example, if you're in a situation where you need something like a rare candy + Stage 2 in order to win, and you already have one of those cards, shaymin has a pretty high chance of grabbing the other one. Marshadow doesn't just need to grab the other one, though. He needs to grab both at the same time in order to work, and he has to do it in about the same number of cards as shay would give you.

It's not a useless effect, but it is severely limited.

Last edited:
Back