Which Card(s) Annoy You the Most?

DragonFlames

Aspiring Trainer
I was looking through my collection lately and noticed something awful. Something really, really awful. Think back to the time of the Diamond&Pearl and Platinum sets. And now think which Pokémon appeared in almost EVERY FREAKING SET!

The Sinnoh starters... they were EVERYWHERE back then. There were only three sets that didn't include at least one of them in their card lineup... and I just kept on pulling them. No matter which set, I just kept on getting full lines of these idiots... it got annoying really quickly. Didn't they have other Grass, Fire or Water Pokémon to include in their sets? Like, I don't know, ANYTHING other than these guys? There werde so many cool Grass, Fire or Water Pokémon up to Gen IV and they decided we needed like 50 different versions of the Sinnoh starters? Come on! This fact is the sole reason I hate the Sinnoh starters with a passion, now, because the cards weren't even that good in the first place.

Another Pokémon - or rather group of Pokémon -that I find mildly annoying whenever I see a card of them appearing somewhere are the legendary birds and their master, Lugia. They are among my favourite Pokémon of all time (Lugia is my favourite Pokémon), so I'm always sad when I see that the cards just suck.

There hasn't been a single good, or even decent, Articuno, Zapdos (especially Zapdos), Moltres or Lugia card. They all had some kind of drawback that made them nearly unplayable. Either they were too weak, needed too much Energy to even function or had only one deck you could even hope to use them in and then they still weren't usable. If I could make a wish, it would be for a decent batch of legendary bird cards and a decent Lugia...
Well, Bandit Rings Lugia-EX looks pretty good, so part of my wish is already granted, but my point still stands.

What kind of cards or Pokémon annoy you the most when you see them appearing? Share your opinion since it interests me what others think.
Do you agree with me? Or do you even know of a strategy to make the birds (and Lugia) usable? If you do, feel free to tell me!

Team Plasma Lugia EX was good. The drawback of discarding a plasma was very balanced and the card could OHKO almost every Pokemon during it's prime. The new Lugia EX doesn't look like a chump either. If you're a fan of Lugia, you should be happy with the competitiveness of it's EX cards.

There are many ways to approach this question. From a non-gameplay perspective, I find it disappointing when all the basic energy is included in a set and has nothing unique about it. XY did this. Just plain energy watering down every pack. Sure 'fairy energy' was new, but even so, no reason they need to look so...plain. Even a simple checkered background like BLW made pulling energy at least somewhat worthwhile. Also, if you can pull a basic energy, you should be able to pull a reverse foil basic energy.

Really the only thing that annoys me is the same Pokemon being spammed over and over, especially at the expense of Pokemon they never print at all. We've had THREE different Walrein cards in the last YEAR but the most recent Dewgong card was released six years ago. Come on.

Really the only thing that annoys me is the same Pokemon being spammed over and over, especially at the expense of Pokemon they never print at all. We've had THREE different Walrein cards in the last YEAR but the most recent Dewgong card was released six years ago. Come on.

I feel you. Its the same for Liligant, Ninetales and Arcanine as well. They keep on spamming Talonflame like there's no tomorrow and the last Arcanine or Ninetales card we had was during the early (?) BW era...

Also, the three Walreins aren't even that good, to be honest...

Team Plasma Lugia EX was good. The drawback of discarding a plasma was very balanced and the card could OHKO almost every Pokemon during it's prime. The new Lugia EX doesn't look like a chump either. If you're a fan of Lugia, you should be happy with the competitiveness of it's EX cards.

Huh... okay. Then I'm just bad at deck building. I have the Promo and Full Art version of Lugia-EX (Plasma) and tried to build a deck around it, but failed (kind of). Sure, I also felt that the card was pretty good, but I haven't found a way to make it work properly. If you can give me a tip on how to do that, I'd be very grateful :)

I feel you. Its the same for Liligant, Ninetales and Arcanine as well. They keep on spamming Talonflame like there's no tomorrow and the last Arcanine or Ninetales card we had was during the early (?) BW era...

Also, the three Walreins aren't even that good, to be honest...

Huh... okay. Then I'm just bad at deck building. I have the Promo and Full Art version of Lugia-EX (Plasma) and tried to build a deck around it, but failed (kind of). Sure, I also felt that the card was pretty good, but I haven't found a way to make it work properly. If you can give me a tip on how to do that, I'd be very grateful :)

Primal Clash had Ninetails

I hate when they make multiple copies of a dual type Pokémon but only focus on one type. One recent example is Inkay/Malamar. In all of XY we've had three different versions (that count is low high compared to others I realize) and yet all of those have been dark, why not make a psychic one? This doesn't include AT Malamar or Malamar EX.

And how many Tentacool/Tentacruel did it take before Primal Clash gave us psychic versions? Too darn long and to darn many.

I like Gyarados but the truth is that's one of the most over done cards as well.

Fire, Lightning, Darkness, Metal, Dragon and now I guess Fairy-type Pokemon get pretty consistent play because they represent only one (usually small) VG type. It's the Pokemon from the other five TCG types that tend to get lost in the shuffle pretty hard. I mean, the Lightning line that's been absent the longest from the TCG is Blitzle/Zebstrika, last seen in Boundaries Crossed, which is still at least part of the current rotation at the moment. Comparatively, the longest-neglected Water lines are Shellos/Gastrodon, last seen in Rising Rivals, and Goldeen/Seaking and Seel/Dewgong, last seen in Supreme Victors, but meanwhile we've had like five different lines of Lapras, Starmie and Walrein since BW started... >_>

Speaking of dual types they never use: Psychic Frillish/Jellicent. Which goes hand in hand with another pet peeve of mine: all of the existing Frillish/Jellicent cards are not only Water-typed, but have the male counterparts center stage while the females are shoved somewhere in the background. I'd love to see Psychic Frillish/Jellicent cards with the girls up front.

Another thing that annoys probably only me: when they create Trainer cards that have nothing to do with content from the games whatsoever, e.g. Paint Roller from Ancient Origins. There are so many existing people, places or things from the franchise that they could use, but choose to ignore most of it in favor of Faded Towns and Lucky Helmets.

Also, it annoys me that Baby and Fossil Pokemon have disappeared in the last few years. Babies basically DON'T exist in the TCG now and haven't since BW started, and Fossils mostly only have been featured because Archen, Tirtouga, Tyrunt and Amaura's lines fell under the umbrella of "new Pokemon we have to feature once, I guess." Omantye, Kabuto, Anorith, Shieldon and Cranidos all last appeared in the Platinum block. Ugh.

Last edited:
I agree with the qualms of using trainers unrelated to the video game, when there is so much to pull from. I feel Fossil Researcher (Furious Fists), while in the video game technically, would have been better served as Grant (the XY gym leader who uses Amaura and Tyrunt). This would also a good way for me to remember some of the very unmemorable video game characters...

In a way I have to disagree about using Grant to serve as ' Fossil Researcher'. This is more from a personal standpoint. We have had instances of leaders, champions, E4, and even villains being singled out. In many ways I would love to see them do so again with the XY gym leaders and the Hoenn (due to ORAS) finding that same treatment as Aqua/Magma got with Double Crisis.

In a way I like the idea of trainer's being there that are not in the game. That is because I would love to see tvg take some of those and find a use for them in game. But there are times I too wish some of the stuff in the games would be 'translated' over. I don't know which is worse, when they don't make the attempt at all or when they make half hearted attempts that taper off or fall flat, such as Technical Machine's (the one's we ever got being rather useless imo) and the variances in Pokeballs and berries.

I think the most current and overused electric line is actually Eletrike/Manectric. The last two sets featured them and that's not including Manectric EX and M. Manectric EX to say nothing about non-EX sets. We also had two lines in Dragons Exalted. Blitzle/Zebstrika meanwhile was last seen in Boundaries Crossed as Frost has already pointed out.

I'd love to see a psychic (ghost) Frillish/Jellicent with the female versions as the lead on the cards. I need to find my thread about alternate types.

Sableye(Stormfront #48)
This card is one of the few cards in the game that should have never been made. It is the definition of a broken card. When this card was released you could attack on your first turn which caused the decks this card was featured in(Sabledonk and Sablelock) to focus on winning the first turn before your opponent could set up. This made the game really quick, and caused games were the other player didn't even get to play any trainers or supporters or any kind of set up.

Sableye(Stormfront #48)
This card is one of the few cards in the game that should have never been made. It is the definition of a broken card. When this card was released you could attack on your first turn which caused the decks this card was featured in(Sabledonk and Sablelock) to focus on winning the first turn before your opponent could set up. This made the game really quick, and caused games were the other player didn't even get to play any trainers or supporters or any kind of set up.

Huh, yeah, I remembered that Sableye. Yeah, that was a very, very annoying Pokémon card...

Another card I can think of is any Rayquaza card. Whenever any of those buggers show up on the field, its over... especially way back in the day of Ex Deoxys' Rayquaza Ex or Dragon Vault's normal Rayquaza... dang, I hated it when my friends included those cards...

I get annoyed that there isn't more TCG types.
Here's all the VG types: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Metal, Fighting, Rock, Ground, Poison, Psychic, Dark, Fairy, Colorless, Bug, Flying, Ice, Ghost, and Dragon.
Here's all the TCG types: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Metal, Fighting, Psychic, Dark, Fairy, Colorless, and Dragon.
I get that Poison and Ghost should go with Psychic, Bug with Grass, and Ice with Water. I don't get Flying and Colorless though. Normal types are supposed to be the Zigzagoons and the Bunnelbys; they are pretty average looking Pokemon. I don't think Pokemon like Rayquaza-EX (Dragon/Flying) and Lugia-EX (Psychic/Flying) should be "normal" typed. They are clearly above normal, which is why some Pokemon are classified as 'fire,' 'dragon,' or 'electric' typed. Flying should be its own section in my opinion. It would also separate the shift between some Colorless types having Fighting weakness and the Flying types to have Electric weakness.
In addition, Fighting seems too concentrated of types. It has Rock and Ground types in it too. Both groups seem like they should be separate as rocks and the ground are similar to one another, whereas fighting isn't really like the Earth at all. For example, I love seeing Hariyama and Hitmontop with Fighting type symbols, not Boldore and Diglett.

If I could change it, my types would be: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Metal, Fighting, Earth (Rock and Ground), Evil (dark and poison), Spirit (Psychic and Ghost), Fairy, Colorless, Flying, and Dragon.

I get annoyed that there isn't more TCG types.
Here's all the VG types: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Metal, Fighting, Rock, Ground, Poison, Psychic, Dark, Fairy, Colorless, Bug, Flying, Ice, Ghost, and Dragon.
Here's all the TCG types: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Metal, Fighting, Psychic, Dark, Fairy, Colorless, and Dragon.
I get that Poison and Ghost should go with Psychic, Bug with Grass, and Ice with Water. I don't get Flying and Colorless though. Normal types are supposed to be the Zigzagoons and the Bunnelbys; they are pretty average looking Pokemon. I don't think Pokemon like Rayquaza-EX (Dragon/Flying) and Lugia-EX (Psychic/Flying) should be "normal" typed. They are clearly above normal, which is why some Pokemon are classified as 'fire,' 'dragon,' or 'electric' typed. Flying should be its own section in my opinion. It would also separate the shift between some Colorless types having Fighting weakness and the Flying types to have Electric weakness.
In addition, Fighting seems too concentrated of types. It has Rock and Ground types in it too. Both groups seem like they should be separate as rocks and the ground are similar to one another, whereas fighting isn't really like the Earth at all. For example, I love seeing Hariyama and Hitmontop with Fighting type symbols, not Boldore and Diglett.

If I could change it, my types would be: Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Metal, Fighting, Earth (Rock and Ground), Evil (dark and poison), Spirit (Psychic and Ghost), Fairy, Colorless, Flying, and Dragon.

I think it'd introduce too much complication and far, far, far, far, far, far, far, far too many auto wins into a format that thankfully features very few, if at all. In a game where you can't spec HP, Def, retreat before your opponent attacks etc, and weakness is 2x. If weakness was +20 then yes.

The name 'Spirit Link' still bugs me. 'Gengar Spirit Link' would have made more sense as 'Gengarite'. If it's because they wanted a universal term, 'Mega Stone' would have been more fitting. Each Mega Stone also looks unique and could have been portrayed in a similar way with the Mega Pokemon in the background. Wave 1 Mega Stones in spoiler.
pokemon-x-y-pacote-com-4-mega-stones-16448-mlb20121039195_062014-f.jpg

For me promo cards especially the really rare ones (ex. Japanese only, Top 3 in Worlds, etc.)
The reason is because I like collecting.

ive been playing the tcg gameboy color game lately, and honestly, all cards that have "flip a coin, if heads, opponent cant do crap" annoy the heck outta me now. those, plus that really old mr mime card...

I don't remember what set it was from(possibably Legendary Treasures) but I bought two booster boxes of the set and in it was a farfetch'd, I think I pulled 20+ of him over the course of the two boxes and eventually I got annoyed at seeing it and actually ripped up all but one of them ( wanted one just for my collection) I believe it was a uncommon and I hate it when you get the same one's over and over...I wished I got a FA Lucario EX again and again.

Back