Where's Garchomp? (BW OU Sandstorm Team)

The Yoshi

Wumbo
Hello everyone. I decided to make a RMT because it seems to be having problems against a few things, so without further ado, let's start with the team itself!

tyranitar_sprite.png

So Tyranitar is the first member of my team, and for every Weather team to be good, there must be a Pokemon that can permanently set up the weather automatically. That Pokemon would be him, because of his ability Sand Stream. His decent bulk also makes him a nice choice as a lead, and can also be seen as a mixed attacker.

Landorus.png

Landorus is the next member of my team. Sand Force makes him great in a Sandstorm, and he can handle opposing Landorus and Gliscor pretty decently. He is the main sweeper in here, and in some matches he has been able to take out an entire team. I consider him a star member of the team, and he has proven himself to be quite the threat.

640_virizion_front_norm.png

Our third member is Virizion. Quagsire, Gastrodon, and Jellicent each pose a threat to this team in their own way, being weak to Water. Virizion handles these problems with a STAB in Giga Drain and can often wall the opponent with Calm Mind, or go for a Swords Dance set and be a sweeper. Rain based teams cringe when Virizion gets rid of their beloved Politoed. Virizion is one Pokemon that this team needs, and has proven its worth in many close matches.

472-frame1.png

If you haven't heard of the Dream World, you don't know what you're missing when this Pokemon comes into play. Gliscor is a superb wall that can shut down many different walls like Ferrothorn, Vaporeon, and Blissey with Taunt, and has a reliable STAB in Earthquake to take down threats like Tyranitar, and can also abuse the boosted Facade. Watch out for this one!

Excadrill_BW_Sprite.png

So Excadrill is one of the Pokemon that defines the Fifth Generation- great stats, a movepool that supports its needs, and excellent typing. Excadrill avoids paralysis and poison with its typing, and can even handle slower Fire types quite well. Some people ragequit when they see this Pokemon because of its supreme and raw power. Any Sandstorm team would be stupid to not have this Pokemon in their team.

385.png

Jirachi is a very cool supporter that can heal my team up and take a hit as well. It also can provide some nice offense with certain moves that make the opponent think about switching into a certain Pokemon. Jirachi also has immunity to poison and can be a nice sweeper with Calm Mind. It may not be the choice every Sandstorm team takes, but I will say that Jirachi pulls its weight for my team in the end.

So now you want the movesets, right? Fine, I guess I have to.

Tyranitar_Move_by_Jolx08.jpg
Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature(+SpD., -Spe.)
Trait: Sand Stream
252 HP/180 Sp.A/76 Sp.D
Stealth Rock
Fire Blast
Superpower
Pursuit​

The general strategy behind T-Tar is to set up Stealth Rock T1 and either switch it out or use one of its attacks to deal with their lead. Fire Blast allows me to hit Ferrothorn and Scizor effectively, and Pursuit deals with Chandelure and Uber Pokemon like Mewtwo. Superpower lets me OHKO opposing Tyranitar and Hydreigon. The EV's give it as much bulk as it can get, while giving it enough Special Attack to deal with Hydreigon before it is KO'd. Sassy Nature is pretty necessary for a lead like Tyranitar to let it survive hits from Scizor's Bullet Punch. Finally, Leftovers is the preferred item to possibly avoid a 2HKO from an Earthquake of an opposing Tyranitar.

landorus.jpg
Landorus @ Leftovers
Naive Nature(+Spe., -Sp.D)
Trait: Sand Force
8 HP/248 Atk/252 Spe
Stone Edge
Substitute
Hidden Power Ice
Earthquake​

So this is a set for Landorus to come in and sweep entire teams. Stone Edge and Earthquake are boosted by Sand Force. Substitute lets it endure a hit, or surprise an opponent that just switched in. Landorus can give Gliscor problems with Hidden Power Ice, and although it is usually not used to deal with Ferrothorn, it can hit it decently with Earthquake. Naive makes Landorus as fast as possible while lowering its not needed Special Defense. The EVs given help Landorus score KO's on Excadrill and outspeed Tornadus and Thundurus. Finally, Leftovers makes a nice combo with Substitute.

131px-640Virizion.png

Virizion @ Leftovers
Timid Nature(-Atk., +Spe.)
Trait: Justified
4 HP/252 Sp.A/252 Spe.
Calm Mind
Giga Drain
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Ice​

Virzion is used as an all-around counter to Water typed threats for this team, like Jellicent, Vaporeon, and Quagsire. Calm Mind gives it a great boost to heal off the damage it is given with a Giga Drain STAB. Focus Blast(although I hate the miss rate) allows me to take out Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and Hydreigon, and Hidden Power Ice lets me hit Gliscor, Garchomp(in Uber), and Landorus without much of a problem. Timid Nature speeds it up to keep up with Excadrill and Jolly Tyranitars. The EVs provided max out the stats that make Virizion so great. Leftovers makes it neutral to Sandstorm damage, which is why I use it over Life Orb.

472.png

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Impish Nature(+Def., Sp.A)
Trait: Poison Heal
252 HP/88 Def./168 Spe.
Earthquake
Taunt
Ice Fang
Swords Dance

So the basic strategy behind Gliscor is to use its trait Posion Heal to get the effect of Leftovers if it is poisoned. The Toxic Orb helps poison Gliscor after T1 so it can then wall the opponent fairly nice. Earthquake and Facade give Gliscor great coverage to deal with threats like Tyranitar, while Swords Dance boosts the power even more. Taunt stops Blissey, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn in their tracks while it sets up. The Impish Nature gives it more bulk to withstand Ice Fangs and Ice Shards from Mamoswine and opposing Gliscor. The EVs give Gliscor even more bulk and let it outspeed opposing Gliscor, given they aren't Jolly.

530___excadrill_by_merum_sb_blueolimar-d3ab1hg.png

[align=center]Excadrill @ Air Balloon
Adamant Nature(+Atk., -Sp.A)
Trait: Sand Rush
4 HP/252 Attack/252 Speed
Swords Dance
Brick Break
Earthquake
Rock Slide​

Excadrill defines the fifth generation with its raw power to sweep any unprepared team, and is my Thundurus counter. Swords dance lets it hit a massive Attack stat, and its main STABs, Rock Slide and Earthquake OHKO almost every Thundurus I face. Brick Break is to hit opposing Excadrill and Bronzong. I prefer the Adamant Nature over Jolly because Excadrill already outspeeds Thundurus. and Sand Rush makes it even faster. Air Balloon gives it a chance against Heatran and Landorus. The EVs guarantee that it outspeeds Thundurus 99% of the time, and maxes out its massive Attack stat.

jirachi.jpg

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Bold Nature(+Def., -Atk.)
Trait: Serene Grace
252 HP/224 Def./32 Spe.
Calm Mind
Psyshock
Wish
Thunderbolt​

Jirachi is a great wall to Pokemon like Blissey. Serene Grace makes Thunderbolt's chance of paralysis even greater to give it a chance to boost its Special stats with Calm Mind. Calm Mind also boosts its bulkiness even more to make Earthquake near to useless. Psyshock hits Blissey and Chansey harder and stops Toxicroak in its tracks, and its immunity to poison makes Blissey close to useless against, which usually forces a switch. Thunderbolt hurts Politoed quite a bit, and if paralysis succeeds, it can create problems for them if Sandstorm is still in play beforehand. Wish almost always succeeds, because Jirachi is either able to take a hit and switch out, or heal itself. The Bold Nature provides more bulk to let it use Wish, and its EV's provide max bulk to take many hits before Jirachi is KO'd.

Checks/Counters: Scizor and Ferrothorn have proved to be a problem for this team. If Tyranitar is gone, it's quite hard to stop them. Mamoswine, although not common, threatens my team by everyone on my team having a weakness to it. Excadrill, however, can deal with it with a +2 Attack. Gliscor is a minor check to this team, but if Virizion/Landorus is faster, they 2HKO it anyway with HP Ice(unless they run Roost, which I've seen).

So, this was my first time doing a RMT, so hope you all enjoyed! Please C/C and let me know how I did. Thanks again for reading/rating!

I fixed a couple of your images. Otherwise, *Approved*.

Yeah, I need to fix those. Could I please ask that nobody posts until I fix it? Thanks.

Edit: Okay guys! You can post. Added checks/counters to the team.

Alright, so I think there are a few changes to be made. First off, Tyranitar's Crunch. I think either Payback or Pursuit are better. Psychic/Ghost types with usually switch so Pursuit is helpful to get the KO on them. Since you are running a slow Tyranitar you can usually get the boost to payback, although I think Pursuit is better. Next is Landorus. He needs a minor change in EVs. 8 EVs in HP should allow him to set up one more substitute (correct me if I'm wrong) So I'd run an 8 HP 248 Atk 252 Spd EV spread. Virizion looks okay for now, Then there's Gliscor. I'm assuming you mean for the Sp. Atk EVs to be Atk because he uses physical attacks. Then I'd replace Facade with Ice Fang because Ice Fang lets it hit stuff like Dragons and enemy Gliscor much harder, where Facade doesn't give much coverage. The EVs might need to be changed but I don't know the optimal spread. Now Excadrill. It needs Jolly to speed tie with enemy jolly Excadrill and it does not need Return. Instead, use Brick Break/X-Scissor. Brick Break lets it hit opposing Balloon Excadrill as well as Bronzong while X-Scissor hits Breloom, Virizion, and Starmie harder. Finally, Jirachi. I have no idea what the speed EVs do, I'd just pump them into Jirachi's defenses. Then change Psychic to Psyshock to hit Blissey and Chansey-even with 6 Calm Minds you aren't going to hit them very hard without Psyshock. I think some of the members of your team need to be changed too due to you having 3 weaknesses to Fire and Ice, and only 1 resistance to either of them. However, I'm not sure what you should replace so I won't tell you.

What a fail, I meant Defense on Gliscor, and Special Defense on Jirachi. XD

Yeah, removed Crunch for Pursuit. I see the meaning behind it now. Fixed the EVs on Landorus, I'm almost positive you are correct. Did all the move changes you suggested, but I don't like Jolly on Excadrill since I outspeed them anyway(at 275 Speed).

Thank you for your suggestions! :)

IMO, you'd be much better off putting Virizion's EVs into HP, DEF, and/or SPE. I did some calculations a while back, and if you want it to survive certain threats that I don't remember, you're better off running those EVs. Other than that I'm pretty bad at team rating and don't see any major threats besides Rotom-W with HP Fire.
Minor Nitpicks:
Gliscor is a wall that even intimidates Thundurus
Um....no. Practically all Thundurus run HP Ice which OHKOs Gliscor.
Quagsire, Gastrodon, and Jellicent each propose a threat to this team in their own way, being weak to Water.
You mean "pose" not "propose". They aren't "suggesting" a threat.

From my experience, Virizion is better off running max special attack with a Timid nature. Otherwise you simply aren't doing enough damage quickly enough. I guess you can cut a couple of EVs from Speed (still enough to outrun base 105s) and invest them into HP.

It's a pretty typical Sandstorm team... I think you generally have two things to worry about; Overpowering Fire type attacks (TTar is your only resist which is weighed against 3 fire weaknesses) and Fighting types running Ice Punch/HP Ice (Mienshao, Scrafty, etc). You could possibly replace either Landorus or Excadrill with something like Jellicent or Latias/Latios to better balance these.

@SA: See, I told you I fail. Virzion is tough, since I don't really know the better option; either invest into HP and Defense to help it survive attacks, or invest it into Special Attack with Timid to do enough damage to make it worth it.

@bacon: Ok. I'll think about that, and try to change around the EVs for HP and Speed. Chandelure and Scrafty are two more threats that I have trouble with. I was thinking of removing Landorus for Jellicent. Let me know what you think.

I've been running Virizion in more of a Defensive role, so I'm sure Bacon's set works much better in an offensive role.

1. 3/6 of your Pokemon are weak to Ice
I would suggest replacing Gliscor with Reuniclus to get rid of 2 of those weaknesses to Ice and Water(or something that doesn't take damage from the Sand).
Reuniclus @ Leftovers
+ Defense - Attack
Psychic/Psyshock
Recover
HP Fighting/Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
2. 4/6 of your Pokemon are weak to Water...
If you do replace Gliscor, then I'd choose either Landorus or Excadrill to replace that sucks up water, like Quagsire, for example.
I'm not 100% what you should replace, but you don't want a Choice Specs Slowbro sweeping you with Surf. ;)
3. You have 2 Calm Minders.
I'd change Jirachi to a Paraflincher that looks like this:
Jirachi @ Leftovers
Thunder Wave/Body Slam
Iron Head
Wish
Zen Headbutt
This set is all about abusing Serene Grace.
First, Paralyze the opponent with either Body Slam (Does damage but only has 60% chance to Paralyze) or Thunder Wave (100% Chance but doesn't do damage) then hax it to death while flinching it with Iron Head (60% chance) or Zen Headbutt if needed (40% chance).
Have fun making your opponent D/C! :D

Thanks for those suggestions, but what about the EVs for each Pokemon? I was thinking a 252 HP/252 Def/4 Sp.A spread, but for Jirachi I'm stuck.

For the Jirachi run Jolly max Speed no matter what.
Iron Head is useless if you don't attack first.
For the remaining 258 EV's, Put 124 into attack and 124 into HP.
For Reuniclus, run 252 HP and 252 Special Defense, and the remaining 6 into Defense.

Yeah, if you use Paralysis speed doesn't really matter...

Reuniclus
Bold @ Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/ 4 SpD
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Psychic/Psyshock
-Focus Blast

Jirachi
Careful @ Leftovers
252 HP/220 SpD/36 Spe
-Body Slam
-Iron Head
-Wish
-Protect/Fire Punch

More standard, more effective sets than the ones above. Also, you don't really need to replace Gliscor if you make Jirachi Specially Defensive, because most Water moves are special, and Jirachi can take most of them rather easily. The Ice weakness is a problem though, you could consider a Yache Berry on Landorus.

The reason Jirachi was changed was so he wouldn't have 2 Calm Minders...
Then you put Calm Mind on Reuniclus...

What is the problem with two Calm Minders? He has two Swords Dancers, and no one's opposed to that. If he uses Calm Mind Reuniclus, he has an offensive CMer and a defensive CMer.

Back