When Did You First Hear About / Read the Manga?

Ice Arceus

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
How old were you when you first heard about it/read the manga? Do you still read it or have you quit reading it. If you have, why did you quit?

Do you plan to read it in the future?

RE: First heard about it/read the manga?

I can't really remember how old I was when I started to read the manga, but I was probably about 16.

I first found it at my local Barnes & Noble where I saw a rack of Pokémon manga. Since I'll buy anything with the Pokémon logo plastered on it, I stopped, and read some of the backs of it.
The most coolest cover at the time was Volume 5 in Pokémon D/P Adventure (the one with the eyecandy Dialga on it), so then I pestered my mom to buy it for me. I've been reading the manga ever since.

Strolling through a Branes and Nobles and finding it on the floor...Disrespect!

I think I read one of the Diamond & Pearl volumes at a friend's house then ended up buying a load more.

I get them through Grimsg, as I prefer the Chuang Yi Volumes, because they're released in order and have correct numbering.

In 1999 I was 9 years old & always liked going to the book store to read the books and well once I saw the Pokemon Adventures manga, I quickly grabbed an issue and began reading it. I liked how different it was from the show. After that, I enjoyed reading the new issues every now and then until they stopped bringing new issues.

Then one day they finally had some new Pokemon Adventures in stock. This time instead of issues, they were the actual volumes. They had volume 1 of the Yellow arc and I was so confused as to what was going on. I was thinking to myself "Who is this new person?" "Why is Pikachu in their possession?" "What happened to Red?" All these questions bothered me and I didn't like Yellow's personality at all. After that I decided not to read the manga anymore.

Fast forward all the way to like last year, I decided to give the manga a shot again. And boy what a decision that was. I absolutely love the series. I've read up to the Emerald arc. I'd like to read the next arc once all the D/P volumes are out since I hate waiting.

ForeignDude said:
In 1999 I was 9 years old & always liked going to the book store to read the books and well once I saw the Pokemon Adventures manga, I quickly grabbed an issue and began reading it. I liked how different it was from the show. After that, I enjoyed reading the new issues every now and then until they stopped bringing new issues.

Then one day they finally had some new Pokemon Adventures in stock. This time instead of issues, they were the actual volumes. They had volume 1 of the Yellow arc and I was so confused as to what was going on. I was thinking to myself "Who is this new person?" "Why is Pikachu in their possession?" "What happened to Red?" All these questions bothered me and I didn't like Yellow's personality at all. After that I decided not to read the manga anymore.

Fast forward all the way to like last year, I decided to give the manga a shot again. And boy what a decision that was. I absolutely love the series. I've read up to the Emerald arc. I'd like to read the next arc once all the D/P volumes are out since I hate waiting.

All the DP volumes ARE out and I think you mean HGSS Volumes.

Blob55 said:
All the DP volumes ARE out and I think you mean HGSS Volumes.

Oh no I meant like Viz's release of the D/P and Platinum volumes. I was very impatient and decided to read the R/S/E FR/LG arcs online which wasn't exactly the best reading experience cause I'd often find myself awake in the middle of the night in bed reading the manga via my ipod.

I think I first heard that there was a manga shortly after I started to take a real interest in the series; probably about 9 or 10, when I read a few manga panels in passing. I only knew that they were still making them in different sagas and stuff around 2 years ago.

Now that I am back in the habit of reading manga again it's on my list.

Oh the manga...
I remember reading it for the first time on the interwebs.(Probably around 2006) because a guy in a forum was all like "LIKE THAT TIME THAT CHICK ON THE ADVENTURES MANGA KEPT HER POKEBALLS HIDDEN IN HER BREASTS!!".
From that moment I grew interested on the manga and I have not stopped reading it ever since.

I think I started reading it when I was about 10 or 11. I found it at a library, and since I had just gotten into the games, I decided to start reading it.

I'm not sure how old I was when I started reading it, but it was before the Gold and Silver arc was even a thing. Then, in high school, I downloaded the entire Red, Blue, and Yellow arc, because at the time, there weren't any legitimate English translations (that weren't flipped and poorly translated). Fast-forward to my first couple years of university, and I ended up buying all the available volumes up until the third volume of Ruby and Sapphire. I also picked up a number of the BW ones when they were in those tiny, thin volumes. I'd like to buy more, but I've long since run out of room on my bookshelf for more manga. It's at the point where the shelves are bending.

Oh, the first time I ever encountered the manga was when my local library was selling old books (I was 10 at the time). I saw about 10 issues of the manga and bought 'em all. Later that week I used my allowance money to buy another 10 or so from Barnes and Noble. I still read the manga and am waiting for XY to finish.

...and I forgot to mention I have approximately 60 mangas collected so far.

Back