What's Wrong with This Card?

Ketchum Kards

Aspiring Trainer
I hope this is the right place for this..

Well, I purchased eight Slowpoke reverse holofoil cards for six dollars a while back on eBay. Four of them are in near mint condition. The other four have a vertical and horizontal line on the front of the card. At first I thought it was scratches but there is no silver foil showing.

What do you think it is? (view attachment, please)

Attachments

• slowpoke excell.jpeg
    slowpoke excell.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 29

Mora

Don't Panic
It's hard for me to tell from the picture, but I think it's possible that it could have just been printed that way. I have a vertical line like what you're describing on one of my FA N's. It's too perfect to be a scratch. I'm told it doesn't effect the value, but I suppose that's hearsay.

Purrloin

It might have been towards the end of a print run for the foils. All sorts of weird stuff happens during that time.

Could you take another pic from a lower angle so the foil is nice and shiny for the camera?

festizzio

Desu
That was quite common on foils from that era, I remember having quite a lot from Secret Wonders and Diamond & Pearl Base Set that looked like that.

Ketchum Kards

Aspiring Trainer
@Mora: You are right about it being hearsay, some would say it does affect the value and others won't. To be safe, I would have to downgrade it's grade and price. It's sad..but it would save a negative response. A lot of mothers buy cards for their kids and you never know which child might complain.
@Purrloin: Yes, I suppose that could happen. I have received a lot of defected cards. One in particular was a Regigigas EX FA. It was ruined! It came out of booster box. The card looked as if it had been dragged across a table. Disappointing!
@festizzio: So, the seller I purchased it from wasn't wrong describing it as near mint. That's good to know that it was common in that era. :)

Thanks all for your responses! It is very helpful! :)