Strategy What Would You Consider a Good Pokemon Battle?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
I think that a good Pokemon battle is not necessarily a battle you win, rather that it is a battle that was going as planned, and one that I got from some interesting and useful insights for the next battle to come.
Also, if someone won me after using an interesting strategy, I would consider it a good battle, although if that was only my opponent who played well, and I played poorly, that would be just another lame battle for me (and because of my own play). In contrast, if I battle and win easy 6-0 with not much strategy, it will be fun just for the sake of winning, but I would still not call it a good battle.

I think a "good battle" is the one that both players need to squeeze their brains in order to take advantage of the current situation, knowing that the minimal bad move puts him in a very bad position.
When you build a deck, you know what will be the basic strategy to win. A good battle requires both players to do more than their basic strategy, adapting to the opponent's moves, and not just attack, attack and attack.

Close matches, one where each player is sweating until their shirts are soaked. I hate rolls, both as giver and recipient. I prefer wins where it seemed like I was going to lose but got lucky, or losses where it seemed I was going to win but then the opponent pulled out their trump card.

Back