What is the Your Most Common Choice of Starter Types?

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Hello everyone!

Now that the new Gen 7 starters are out- The biggest question of all time is once again relevant- Fire Water or Grass?

By looking back to your primarily choices of the starters each gen, what type is the most common one for you? Which one is your favorite pick when starting a game that you must pick it ?

I'll start:

Gen 1: I think I have only played one game with Bulbasaur, the rest of the times I have played Red/Blue were always Charmander and Squirtle, and I think Squirtle is the more common one by just a few points WATER
Gen 2
: I love Quilava. Really. I often choose to not evolve it into Typhlosion. Chikorita is on the second place, but is very far from Cyndaquil in the first place FIRE
Gen 3
: I really had a problem with final evolutions. Grovyle was so cool and I didn't want to evolve it. Torchic is not too far behind as I have used it a lot in the original games. However, the introduction of Mega Sceptile in ORAS gave the Grass starter all the reason to be my most common choice. GRASS
Gen 4:
Empoleon all the way! Also, Piplup was the only Pokemon out of the three that caught my attention. WATER
Gen 5: I really don't like any of these starters, but I guess Serperior is the superior one :p GRASS
Gen 6:
At first, before the final evolutions were introduced, I was pretty sure I was going to pick either Chespin or Fennekin. But then, Greninja happened. WATER

So apparently, Water is the most common choice for me when picking the starter Pokemon. What's yours? :)

*btw- Currently I'm thinking Litten for the new gen. Probably going to change my mind 20 times.

Gen 1: I was super antalytical as a little kid, so it came down to Charmander or Bulbasaur for me ("They both have two types, they must be twice as strong!"). I think it was the fact that Bulbasaur was so much more... Exotic looking(?) that led me to pick him. Also, my brother really liked Charmander, and by definition (as his brother) I couldn't openly like his choice at all. This led to a trend of me always choosing Grass starters for my first playthrough of a game, and him Fire. GRASS
Gen 2
: Again, DINOSAWRS. But in all honesty, I've played more Gen 2 games in Nuzlcokes choosing Totodile than normal runs with Chikorita. WATER
Gen 3
: Unsurprisingly, I chose Treecko for my first run in Emerald... But that save was quickly deleted in some way or another, or I lost the game and replaced it, or something. Anyway, wanting a new experience the second time around, I chose Torchic. That Blaziken was my first ever Pokemon to reach level 100 in its native game.
Gen 4: Did I mention I love tortoises too? Actually, I love all reptiles. GRASS
Gen 5
: Don't bash my Snivy line! Snakes are cool. GRASS
Gen 6:
Chespin and Chesnaught more than make up for the hideous middle stage. Though he's not a reptile, I still prefered him over Greninja. Porcupines are cool (which I realize he may not actually be a porcupine, but spikes + rodent thing = close enough). And I love Spiky Shield. GRASS

I usually end up picking the starter more based on the animal they are, and less the type they are. It just so happens all the Grass types have been reptiles, my favorite group of animals.
And a porcupine thing I guess, but I have a certain love for animals covered in deadly objects.

I never really tend to pick any starter solely based on its type, usually just whether I like the design. I always like to do a playthrough with each individual starter so I can find out firsthand how much I like using them in battle. (although that being said, writing this I have discovered that I don't tend to pick the Fire types, and I do tend to pick Water types a lot)
Gen 1: Bulbasaur tends to be my favourite to use in those games, as well as being one of my favourite starters of all time. Grass
Gen 2:
I tend to use either Cyndaquil or Totodile in G/S/HG/SS, although if I had to pick one it would probably be Totodile. Water
Gen 3:
In R/S/E I tended to go for Mudkip, although with the advent of Mega Sceptile (which happens to be my fave Mega) in ORAS I usually go to that. So if we're talking about R/S/E I'd say Water, if ORAS it's Grass.
Gen 4:
Empoleon has always been one of my favourite Pokemon from that gen, although Torterra is a close second. Water
Gen 5:
Snivy has always been my go to starter for these games. Grass
Gen 6:
Froakie is easily my fave starter for these games. Water
(whilst it's impossible to really say how much I'll actually like using these starters in battle or how much I'll say how much I'll like their evolutions, from what we've seen I'll probably use Rowlet in S/M, but that could change depending on their evolutions. update - after having seen the starters for a while now I'd say my favourite to use first is probably Popplio. Still a tie up between the two though for now)
So overall I guess my go to of choice is Water.

Last edited:
''Mhhhh . . . My favorite starter pokemons . . .'' , :eek: I know!

Gen 1 : Bulbasaur or squirtle . . . Yea they are both awesome and great . . . But squirtle has just that . . . thing . . . (Water)

Gen 2:
Here it would be Totodile, for sure. just how it looks I already like (Water)

Gen 3:
Here It would be treecko, Partly because anime, and since OR/AS also because the curiosity of its mega_evolve. Also It is an handy starter pokemon for gen 3 (Grass)

Gen 4:
Well, I liked them al three, but as starter I had choosen chimchar, (Fire)

Gen 5: Snivy, Mainly because I liked it the most in the anime, and in game It also helped me alot.
The rest were ... just a little (kuch) bit less for me (Grass)

Gen 6:
Froaki, It could become a greninja ... which I really liked (water)

Mostly I pick them randomly (often bad in choosing :( ). But these are definitly my favorite starter pokemon

So it would be . . . (WATER)

And for gen 7 :) ... Uhm . . . hold on . . . Uhhmmm . . . It would come . . sometime.

WaitCursor-300p.gif
I am just so slow at deciding to pick one :(

Always Grass and it'll never change. It's always my main Pokémon. Despite this, I can obviously like other starters and I really like ti see the design behind them every Pokémon.

Gen 1: Squritle. Picked it as my first Pokemon; so there is a lot of sentimental value. Water
Gen 2: Cyndaquil. The best starter in the history of Pokemon; bar none. Fire
Gen 3: Mudkip. Mudkip was the most versatile out of the three starters. Water
Gen 4: Chimchar. I didn't really care for the starters; but Chimchar handled the best. Fire
Gen 5: Tepig. I liked Tepig the most, solely because of the Kevin Bacon puns I could make XD. Fire
Gen 6: Fennekin. Kind of like Gen I all over again; I just did not care for the over-rated starter. Fire
Gen 7: Litten. I love cats; so I love Litten a lot. It's the only starter I really like out of the three. Fire

Gen 1: Bulbasaur - Grass
Gen 2: Cyndaquil - Fire
Gen 3: Torchic - Fire
Gen 4: Turtwig - Grass
Gen 5: Oshawott - Water
Gen 6: Froakie - Water

So I've chosen two of each type in the first 6 gens, the next gen will break that.

At the moment Grass is leading but I'll wait until I see their final evos and what other Grass, Fire and Water types can be caught in the new games before making my final decision.

Gen 1 - Bulbasaur all the way. Grass
Gen 2 - Chikorita is best, though I also have a fondness for Cyndaquil. Grass
Gen 3
- Probably my least favourite starter generation, but Mudkip is the cutest of the bunch. Water
Gen 4
- Another starter group I'm not too fond of, but Turtwig takes the lead. Grass
Gen 5
- Smugleaf for overload, and I love snakes, so Snivy wins this round hands down. Grass
Gen 6
- Fennekin is my favourite of the basic forums, but I like the Greninja line better overall. Water
Gen 7
- Unless it's evolved forms turn out to be absolutely awful, I'm Team Fire Cat all the way. Fire

I guess it's no surprise to me that Grass-type is the overall winner. In general, a lot of Grass-type Pokémon are my favourites anyway. The only gen where I really don't care for the Grass starter is Gen 6. Grass Owl is even my back-up for Gen 7 in case Litten takes a bunch of steroids.

Gen 1: All I remember is that when I played LeafGreen (or FireRed) I ended up picking up Bulbasaur as my starter. Which unfortunately was the only thing I leveled up... meaning I could never beat Loreli of the Elite 4. :( GRASS
Gen 2
: Cyndaquil is just a cute bundle of flame, with a concept I like. I guess I got attached to it from an anime episode I saw. FIRE
Gen 3
: I've always liked the Treecko line. A really cool, slice-n-dice type of Pokemon really appealed to me. It also was a really cool Pokemon in the anime when I watched it, especially its twig chewing, so Treecko was the winner from me. GRASS
Gen 4:
Was again, anime influenced my choice here. Chimchar was my winner, though Turtwig from that flash game on the official website and some fake card of it I had as a youngin' made it the close second. FIRE
Gen 5:
Eh, Snivy I guess? These were okay. GRASS
Gen 6:
Chespin was the better looking one, but Froakie grew on me with that neat bubble cloak. Also, ninjas. WATER
Gen 7:
Who doesn't love derpy seals dressed like a clown? WATER

Grass is leading only just. I'm a bit surprised Water isn't up there since Fire is my least favourite type of the triangle, but I guess there hasn't been too many of the older designs that really appealed to me. :/

My first playthrough I always go with the grass starter. Subsequent playthroughs I try to do one run with the water and one run with the fire starter. But I'll try to list out my favorites for each gen anyways.

Gen I: This is actually a tough choice for me since I don't really feel all that excited about any of them, Bulbasaur was my first Pokemon but I also like Charmander and Squirtle a fair bit. Hard to say but I guess I'll have to go with Bulbasaur. Grass.
Gen II:
It's a tie between Cyndaquil and Totodile. I like Chikorita a lot and was my first choice going into Gold way back when, but now I'd have to go with... uh... *flips a coin* Totodile! Water
Gen III:
This one is probably the easiest for me to decide. Treecko hands down, Mudkip and Torchic ain't got nothing on this gecko. Grass
Gen IV:
Again, the answer is so obvious for me, Turtwig is my favorite starter Pokemon ever, and leagues above Chimchar and Piplup. Grass
Gen V:
My favorite here has to be Snivy, I do really love Tepig and Oshawott (despite public opinion of lil' Derpderp) but Snivy has the smugness to have my heart. Grass
Gen VI:
This one is tough for me, a tie between Chespin and Froakie honestly. I love Chespin but Froakie evolves into one of my favorite Pokemon. So when it comes to their evolutions I would have to say Greninja > Chesnaught (though that is still really close call for me, Chesnaught is a beast). But for just the basic stage, Chespin wins it out Grass
Gen VII:
No contest, Rowlet 4 lyfe. Litten and Popplio are adorable and I can't wait for my playthroughs with them, but Rowlet is one of the best starters to ever be revealed. Grass

So uh, maybe there is a reason I always have chosen the grass starters for my first playthrough.

I was actually thinking about this not long ago!

Gen I: I'm a sucker for dragons, honestly. Despite the challenges, I always, always go with Charmander. FIRE
Gen II: This is the hardest one to pick from. Totodile is my favorite, design-wise, but c'mon Meganium is a friggin' dinosaur. I do pick Cyndaquil most often, though, and it was the first one I picked when I played GSC. FIRE
Gen III:
This is another weird one where I like Treecko's design a LOT, but Mudkip somehow won me over years ago. Couldn't care less about the Torchic line, though. WATER
Gen IV:
I vaguely remember playing Pearl for the first time, but I'm never gonna forget the look on my brother's face when my Infernape destroyed his Empoleon. FIRE
Gen V:
Again, not many memories from my first run through aside from the fact I got stuck on Kyurem and I could never find a name I liked for my Snivy. GRASS
Gen VI:
This is no contest for me: as much as I love dragons I also love small fuzzy chipmunks. GRASS
Gen VII:
I'm so torn about this gen oh my lord. I LOVE Rowlet so much but I also love Popplio and Litten is a BABY. I don't know ;n;. ???

So as of right now, Grass and Fire are tied for most-used starter for me, lol.

Gen 1 - Always bulbasaur, only to get to viridian in yellow and the route to Mt. Moon in red/blue; after that I'll drop it in the PC as soon as I catch a nidoran F. GRASS
Gen 2 -
I adore both quilava and bayleef; it kills me to play GSC or HGSS because I will always be unable to get the other one; however, since the first two gyms are flying and bug, and I can find oddishes to evolve into bellossom and vileplume (and, not or) soon after, the most practical choice ends up being cyndaquil, even if that means I must miss catching a vulpix. FIRE
Gen 3 -
This is the generation where I can get both ralts and surskit immediately after receiving my starter, so I usually pick torchic because it's adorable but I'll either never evolve it (therefore missing the fighting type) or just send it to the PC, since my real starter is always ralts. Yes, even in games where ralts isn't catchable. FIRE
Gen 4 -
I dislike all the pokemon from all the starter lines here, except for piplup; and even then, that isn't enough incentive to get me to keep it for too long, especially in platinum, which has kirlias right outside jubilife city. WATER
Gen 5 -
Please, like I would ever pick anything other than snivy. It's almost useless in battle, and not very versatile, but I'll keep her with me as a servine to the very end. It used to be a dilemma to choose between the haughty royal snake and the samurai sea lion (I'll grant that samurott is so much better, moves-wise, than serperior, if you don't have contrary), but at the same time, not a dilemma at all. GRASS
Gen 6 -
Fennekin, of course; if it being absolutely adorable wasn't enough, it evolves into a lovely witch with an actual magic wand. And then it doesn't evolve anymore because hobos are not allowed on my team. But again, my real starter in that generation is the ralts I will capture at the gardens. FIRE
Gen 7 -
Oh hohohohoho, at least for now, nope. Whatever lets me get to the actual good pokemon (or ralts) faster

So, yes, even though I choose them for the design, there's clearly a pattern there; fire and grass, mostly, but more often than not, I just don't use the starters.

Grass is the most common amongst my first starter picks of a generation. Of course, I play through the games enough that I've used all three at one point or another, though. My firsts:

1. Bulbasaur
2. Chikorita (my first starter in general, actually. I didn't have a console newer than the Atari 7800 until the Gameboy Colour because my dad was really cheap. >.>)
3. I forget. Maybe Mudkip or Torchic. I'm honestly pretty neutral on all 3.
4. Turtwig
5. Snivy
6. Chespin

It's funny, though, my favourites would be more varied than that. (Squirtle, Cyndaquil, <insert Gen 3 here>, Turtwig, Oshawott/Snivy - they're pretty even, Chespin.)

Perhaps unsurprisingly, looks like Rowlet'll be my first next gen, too, lol. Funny how that works out.

Gen I: Bulbasaur. It can take hits like a tank and can hit back even harder. A great Fairy killer in Gen VI. Plus, it's gorgeous!
Gen II: Cyndaquil. Even though it doesn't have a very diverse movepool, it's the most powerful Johto starter imo that swept through just about everything.
Gen III: Mudkip. My all time favorite starter, the first Pokemon I leveled up to level 100. Swampert is just awesome. Great stats, movepool and design.
Gen IV: Chimchar. Love this fire monkey. It's fast, can hit insanely hard and can learn some of the best moves out there.
Gen V: Oshawott. Not as awesome as Mudkip, but still cool. Also have you seen Samurott's seamitars? Those things are longer than it's forelegs! How does it store them?
Gen VI: Fennekin. While Froakie is better battle-wise, Fennekin wins out because I love all of it's evolutions (and fennec foxes). Their designs are amazing. Also, it's not Fire/Fighting. Need I say more?

I have always chosen the Water type starter in at least one game per generation, but as for favorites, Fire types win.

As for Gen VII, I'm very torn between Litten and Popplio. Litten because it's a cat! But Popplio is just too adorable. How can you not love that smiling face? Probably gonna end up choosing both anyway because I'll have both Sun and Moon at some point.

Last edited:
Gen 1: Fire (I mostly played Yellow from this gen and really used Ice and Psychic as my starters Dewgong and Alakazam, but I used Charizard in Firered)
Gen 2: Fire (Typhlosion is one of my favorite Pokémon)
Gen 3: Grass (Used Sceptile in Sapphire)
Gen 4: Never played (Though looking at the starters I probably would have picked Piplup.)
Gen 5: Grass (Picked Snivy because I liked it the best)
Gen 6: Fire (Chose Fennekin)

In Gen 7 I'll play as Grass in one and Fire in the other. Not a fan of Popplio as much as the other two.

If it's any consolation I picked Water in X and Omega Ruby... Also picked Blastoise in Y. Though only playing those games to help finish my Y Pokedex.

Gen I: Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur has always been my favorite starter Pokémon. GRASS
Gen II:
Chikorita. It is just because I really like Bayleef. GRASS
Gen III:
Treecko. Just because I like the designs of Grovyle and Sceptile more than the others. GRASS
Gen IV:
Turtwig. It is a cute turtle. Isn't that enough? GRASS
Gen V:
Snivy. I didn't really like the starters from Unova, but it was better than Oshawott and Tepig I guess.. GRASS
Gen VI:
Fennekin. It is so cute! I normally pick Grass types, but I don't like Chespin's design at all. FIRE
Gen VII:
Rowlet. I have to wait and see for the final evolutions, but it is Rowlet for now. GRASS

Grass is my favorite starter type for sure! Only Fennekin's design made a change to the list. Poor Water though.

Gen 1: Charmander. Gotta love the fire dragon.
Gen 2: Cyndaquil. Not really big on the other two, plus it was my first starter ever.
Gen 3: Treecko. I was fairly undecided on this for a while, I've used every Hoenn starter at least once. But Mega Sceptile changed my opinion on this.
Gen 4: Piplup. I like pretty much all of the 4th gen starters, but when I'm not picking for balance issues I usually go for Piplup.
Gen 5: Serperior. I have a thing for draconian starters, really hope it gets a Grass/Dragon Mega eventually.
Gen 6: Not really sure which one is my favorite right now. Probably either Chespin or Froakie.
Gen 7: Litten is currently my favorite, but Popplio is a close second and could end my favorite if its evolution is better.

It's a toss up between Grass and Fire.

For some reason, I've been subconsciously been following a pattern regarding the starters. It's always, Grass, Water, Fire, Grass, Water, Fire...and so on and so forth.

Gen 1 had me pick Bulbasaur because Bulbasaur is cool and nobody but me loves him.
I haven't played any Gen 2 game, but Totodile stands out to me. Mostly because gators are cool, and he was apparently what I was in Super Mystery Dungeon.
Gen 3 has Kickin' McNuggets...I mean, Torchic. Chickens are cool, and it's even cooler when you set them on fire.
Turtwig was basically Bulbasaur 2.0 (or maybe 3.0?) for Gen 4, so I picked him. The fact that he grows a tiny lil' ecosystem over time, just makes it nice.
Gen 5 was my first time playing Pokemon, and the Oshawott was just so darn cute that I had to pick her. Now she's a samurai warrior in Kalos.
Gen 6's Fennekin was cute, and I always chose the mage class in RPG games. The fact that the two correlated together was nice.

So you may think that NOW I'd choose Rowlet, but Litten might change this whole pattern thing, if Litten turns out to what I hope it'll be.

I'm just in a constant balance.

Gen 1: Bulbasaur most of the time, but I sometimes pick Squirtle. Grass
Gen 2: Usually a mix, but most of the time I pick Totodile. Water
Gen 3: When I first played it I picked Torchic, but now I always pick Treecko. Grass
Gen 4: I really like Turtwig, but I usually pick Piplup. Water
Gen 5: Black was my first game, and I picked Tepig, but I never knew how to save (lol) so I picked a different starter every time, when I learned how to save, I picked Snivy and it grew on me and became one of my favorite Pokemon. Grass
Gen 6: I thought Greninja looked so cool, so I usually picked Froakie. Water
Gen 7: I'm probably going to pick Rowlet, because it's so cute and I love Owl's. But Popplio does look awesome. Grass

So I guess I have a pattern of Water and Grass, but currently Grass wins 4-3.
So yeah. I'm that guy who picks Grass types.

Last edited:
Back