What Are Your Top 3 Favorite TCG Sets?

The Shining Mew

A Mew that shines
Hi, peeps!

Out of all the TCG sets, what are your top 3 favorites? Mine are as follows:

1. Neo Revelation
2. HeartGold SoulSilver
3. Dragons Exalted (subject to change with the release of Ancient Origins)

Last edited:
Well, not so much "best" as "favorite:

EX: Team Rocket Returns because it was the second attempt at bringing Team Rocket to the TCG and it was spectacular!

Secret Wonders is forever a favorite of mine, and it's not even for a playability reason. Rather, it just came out at a part of my life which I look back on very fondly. Great Encounters and Majestic Dawn also sit right behind it firmly as some of my favorites for the same reason. Legends Awakened was my first ever pre-release, and that was really fun, but I don't look back at it anywhere near as much as a set.

Slightly off-topic, but my favorite card is Flygon Lv.X, despite having quite the distaste for Rising Rivals.

Legendary Collection because of the splendid reverse holos :).

Don't forget it is supposed to be kind of epic for Limited play. I still get this odd feeling of nostalgia for it. I wonder what a constructed format purely using this set would be like. XD

I do remember that the Legendary Collection packs were designed to have stuff in it to be easier for play, the Pokémon supposed to have been mostly the same type and all. These days I don't know how well it would work because we have something now that didn't exist then, EX Pokémon. How much would it suck to do something like that for (example here) Furious Fists and to have mid level grass types while your opponent somehow managed to get Lucario EX to work with.

The EX prevalence is what makes limited awful now.

I think my favorite set from both a playability and flavor standpoint is Gym Heroes/Challenge. Interesting card design coupled with signature pokemon of all kinds, amazing artwork, and the first english set with the Japanese-style set info at the bottom left instead of across the whole short edge. This was also where the games, television show, and card game intersected the most (which is, I think, one of the strongest aspects of the series' early days).

My favorite set is a tie between Noble Victories and Primal Clash. Both of them are the best sets from their respective Generations and are great for players and collectors alike (though most of the best stuff from PRC are Stage 2's, so we have yet to get a format where they're competitive.)

After Gym Heroes/Gym Challenge its hard to say. I'd have to agree with GadgetJax, Primal Clash is very, very well designed. I tend to like sets from the HS era, Undaunted being my favourite of those because it has the prettiest and most interesting Smeargle to see print thus far. So I guess the order is:
Gym Heroes/Challenge
HS: Undaunted
Primal Clash

Despite my first cards - Stromfront - being fake, the SF set has sorta grown on me, especially with the [P] Roserade :>
Other than that, I really like Phantom Forces due to its wide variety of Trainers and Roaring Skies with Gallade and Absol, both <3 Pokemon, as well as Wally.

Back