General What Are the Best Nicknames for Each Pokémon?

RE: What Are the Best Nicknames for Each Pokemon?

Cinesra said:
I challenge you guys to come up with better names for Rotom, Talonflame, Hawlucha, and the Honedge line than Voltergeist (credit for that glorious name goes to Teapot, iirc), Pyrogrine, Hawk Hogan / Hawkamania, or Hexcalibur / Polterslice respectively.

Protip:
you can't

lol I'll try anyway :p

Talonflame: I nicknamed my Talonflame Spitfire which is a British fighter aircraft that was used by their Air Force during the Second World War. Found it very cool :)

Rotom(w): I saw one nicknamed Shower time! not sure if its that original but its funny

Aegislash: I nicknamed him Z-Sword after the sword from Dragon ball Z because the pokedex says that the sword is haunted and the Z-sword had in it Old Kai so it was kind of haunted.
+ Aegislash and the sword have pretty much the same colors:

150px-GohanPlayingWithTheZSword.webp

+Going to nickname my future Mega Gallade Lance because cape :D

Cinesra said:
I challenge you guys to come up with better names for Rotom, Talonflame, Hawlucha, and the Honedge line than Voltergeist (credit for that glorious name goes to Teapot, iirc), Pyrogrine, Hawk Hogan / Hawkamania, or Hexcalibur / Polterslice respectively.

Protip:
you can't

It is possible indeed, though I reckon that Rotom is the only one that's hard or even challenging because Voltergeist is indeed a fine nickname.
Speaking just about the worse, Hawk Hogan/Hawkamania is clearly a dismissal of what Hawlucha really represents by having nicknames focusing only on USA related stuff, in this case Hulk Hogan and Wrestlemania, both of which don't have nothing to do with Hawlucha's design and name. :rolleyes:

Hawkamania is also a Hulk Hogan pun because of hulkamania. The names have plenty to do with Hawlucha because it's still wrestling, despite not being Mexican. I'd love to hear better names for any of them, though.

Also I forgot Raptorch and Falcano for Talonflame.

Cinesra said:
Hawkamania is also a Hulk Hogan pun because of hulkamania. The names have plenty to do with Hawlucha because it's still wrestling, despite not being Mexican. I'd love to hear better names for any of them, though.

Also I forgot Raptorch and Falcano for Talonflame.

Hulkamania? And here I was thinking that it was Hulk + Wrestlemania! It would be less bad if it had to do with Wrestlemania since at least there are some "luchadores" in there.
If it's not "lucha libre", then it has nothing to do with Hawlucha. If Hawlucha's color (normal or shiny) were red and yellow I would understand but as it is, I think it's really bad to just take a Mexican inspired Pokémon and give it USA-related nicknames and that's why there are better ones.
I'm not one to just give my ideas but since Hawlucha is something that I definitely will not train here's a better one, without much thinking, fitting of Hawlucha and with a nod to Pokémon: Wake Crusher! I think it needs no explanation! U_U

Well here are my favorites:

Po the Pangoro - From Kung Fu Panda
Rai2-D2 the Raichu - Star Wars pun
Nacho the Hawlucha - From Nacho Libre
Day Z the Porygon-Z - From Day Z

Fluffy is a name that works for either Mareep or any of your biggest, baddest, most-likely-to-rob-a-bank looking Pokemon, like Groudon.

DieInAHole, break them, ToYourRoom, MakeMeFood, YourDemise, YourMom, AGroupText are kinda like names that you would take a screenshot of and laugh at when going into battle. Also it works for any Pokemon. Examples:
Go, MakeMeFood!
Go, break them!

From your opponent's view:
Pokémon Trainer @&%$*@ sent out AGroupText!
Pokémon Trainer &%@$*! sent out YourMom!

Yeah... and then you just go do a ton of online battles. That's all.

Let me get this straight, Leaf Ranger, my nicknames are bad because they don't reference Hawlucha's Mexican theme, but somehow "Wake Crusher", a name that comes from Crasher Wake, a gym leader in a game from a Japanese company in a region based on Hokkaido who has about as much to do with luchadores as Hulk Hogan is better?

Cinesra said:
Let me get this straight, Leaf Ranger, my nicknames are bad because they don't reference Hawlucha's Mexican theme, but somehow "Wake Crusher", a name that comes from Crasher Wake, a gym leader in a game from a Japanese company in a region based on Hokkaido who has about as much to do with luchadores as Hulk Hogan is better?

The Japanese company argument and the comparison you make between Crasher Wake and Hulk Hogan are hilarious.

First, despite being a Japanese company, the fact is that regions, Pokémon and characters are not inspired and based on just Japanese stuff.

Secondly, Crasher Wake has a mask and it's very important to him just like "luchadores" in "lucha libre" while Hulk Hogan is connected to wrestling which, again, is different from "lucha libre" and Hawlucha's name reference.

In third place, Fantina is in Sinnoh and I don't think that there's a strong French community in Hokkaido so and as stated above, not everything is Japanese-inspired.

Fourth, at least my nickname is linked to Pokémon reference that matches the fighting style.

So yes, you're correct in you conclusion but not because of your arguments.

I know that Sinnoh isn't exclusively Japanese (although even it or were, Fantina being just one immigrant doesn't require a real French population in Hokkaido), but my point was that there's literally nothing Mexican about Crasher Wake and the only criticism you had against my ideas was that they weren't Mexican. Crasher Wake wearing a mask is a good reason, though. Personally, I prefer nicknames that are puns or references to franchises or real life events, but to each his own.

Just like an immigrant doesn't require a whole community to be a part of a region, that also can apply to Crasher Wake and why he doesn't need to fit a Hokkaido-based region.
I guess we're seeing different things when looking at Crasher Wake. I believe you when you say you don't see anything Mexican but when I saw him in the Diamond booklet and before reading the gym and city, I thought he was a Fighting type leader and I'm guessing that's what most people will think too. People might say wrestling first because that's better knwon but those that know that there's "lucha libre", will almost (again, I'm guessing) say it's lucha libre and because of the mask.
I prefer nicknames that are loyal to the concept behind a Pokémon. Nickanming a Samurott "Spartacus" would be just ridiculous in my opinion.
Wake Crusher not only was an inverted reference to Crasher Wake but also to the move Flying Press that would crush the opponent.

RE: Best nicknames for each pokemon?

His Goominess said:
zappy800 said:
-Tobias the Gallade (if you get the fictional reference then I love you)

Tobias eaton loves you too :)
Unless your Erudite. Then he doesn't love you. Or if your name is Marcus, he probably hates you if that's the case. :p :p

Here's some of my favorite nicknames for pokemon

Indigestion the Swalot (Its a stomach pokemon and its moveset is gimmicky with Rest - Chesto - and Belch)
Tooth Fairy the Granbull (Your'e gonna lose some teeth when you face her.)
50 Cent the Chestnaught ( Given the name because of it's ability "Bulletproof" and 50cent has an album named Bulletproof IIRC )
Mysterio the Hawlucha (named after the WWE superstar Rey Mysterio)
BonziBuddy the Porygon Z (named after the infamous malware in the early 2000s)

Like I said in a previous post, I tend to give my Pokemon human names. I already talked about my team from Y, so now I'll talk about my Alpha Sapphire team.

Forrest the Sceptile (It has a tree for a tail, so it's a pun on "Forest".)

Emma the Exploud (It's the first girl name that starts with E that I could think of.)

Juliet the Gardevoir (Gardevoir and Gallade are inspired by Romeo and Juliet, so I named my Gardevoir after the latter.)

Poncho the Ludicolo (Do I need to explain?)

Gia the Gyarados (Gyarados... Gia-rados.... Get it?)

Kelly the Crobat (A YouTuber called "PokeKellz" caught a shiny Crobat during a playthrough of Pokemon Crystal. I couldn't think of any other names for a female Crobat, so I named it after her. However, I just learned today that her name is Kellie, not Kelly. Whoops.)

Sometimes I go through a playthrough of a game using only nicknames based off of Homestar Runner characters. Examples include my Beedrill named 'GrapeFairy' and my Conkeldurr named 'Bewhemoth'.

All Hippopotas, Hippowdown, Larvitar, Pupitar, and Tyranitar are required to be named Darude.
GarbodorLover said:
(Gardevoir and Gallade are inspired by Romeo and Juliet
Since when? They were made a generation apart and there's literally nothing about them that suggests Romeo and Juliet besides one being male only and one being feminine.

Cinesra said:
All Hippopotas, Hippowdown, Larvitar, Pupitar, and Tyranitar are required to be named Darude.
GarbodorLover said:
(Gardevoir and Gallade are inspired by Romeo and Juliet
Since when? They were made a generation apart and there's literally nothing about them that suggests Romeo and Juliet besides one being male only and one being feminine.

It may not seem that they are based off of Romeo and Juliet, but it's quite likely. I watched a video made by a duo of popular YouTubers, and they proposed their own in-depth theory about what inspired Gardevoir and Gallade's design (The theory's actually pretty solid.) However, I'm not going to post a link to the video or even say who the YouTubers are, because then I would be banned for advertising. (Oh well.)

I actually don't like to nickname my Pokémon, but when I do, I do so with funny names. Simba the Pyroar, for example. :p

About the Gallade+Gardevoir=Romeo+Juliet, it's a somewhat plausible theory, but unlikely. Normally, linking to another site is allowed as long as it brings good value to the discussion in topic, but that particular video would bring the Thread a bit off-topic.

I nickname every pokemon I breed and I have bred quite a few. some are good. some are bad. some are cliche. some are pretty creative. Here are some:
Gumdrop the female Sylveon
Barbara the female ferrothorn
Sucho the male feraligatr
Maximus the male donphan
Mizunobi and Gekkomaru, both male greninjas
Prometheus the male Charizard (X mega)
Stella the female clefable
Marceline the female crobat
Gypsy the female venomoth
Mega Mama the kangaskhan (mega)
Ferrari the female scizor
Phyllix the male leafeon and Leafa the female one
Cecil the male lapras
Headlights the female lantern
Argus the male xatu
Bubble Jet the male azumarill
Twiga the female girafarig
Scissorhands the male gliscor
Cold Claws the male Weavile
Pablo and Frieda the smeargle couple
Regina the female serperior
Amplitude the female exploud
Lobolectric the male manectric
Hotpot the male crawdaunt
Bananarama the female tropius
Rock Cod the male relicanth
Wukong the male infernape
Ba Jie the male emboar
Loona the female drifblim
Iago the male chatot
Mr. Clean the rotom wash
Le Coq the male unfezant
Toxanne the female SHINY Scolipede
Sebek the male krookodile
Pharaoh the male cofagrigus
Lady Thug the female scrafty
Bella the female gothitelle
Odette the female swanna
Nanuk the male beartic
Slice n' Dice the male bisharp
Browzer the male chesnaught
Scarlett the Delphox
Icarus the male Talonflame
Azeroth the male pyroar
A whole set of florges named after European royalty...Antoinette: white, Catherine: orange, Victoria: Blue, Isabelle: Yellow, Elizabeth: Red
Cleo the female furfrou
Nosferatu the male noiver
Hot-Keys the female Klefki
Muffin-Top the female slurpuff
Hannibal the Barbaracle
Red Tide the female Dragalge
Eliza the female Heliolisk
Caesar the male Tyrantrum
Rawxie the female hawlucha
Harime Nui the female banette (mega)
Metaceratops the male aggron (mega)
Mecha Mind the metagross (mega)
Gma Willow the female shiny trevenant

RE: What are the Best Nicknames for Each Pokemon?

Spartan Sceptile said:
epicozzy said:
The ones that i remember (from playing multiple games) are:

Shiftry- Mal (bad in latin)
Greninja- Naruto (anime reference)
Jynx- Miley Cyrus (I don't mean racist for this one.)
Skarmory- Iron Man

That's all I remember.

That's funny, I also named my greninja Naruto.
Jynx should be corrected to Nicki Minaj, she looks like her twin.

Tyranitar: Godzilla
Pyroar Male: Scar
Shiny Clauncher: Zoidberg
Hitmonchan: Jackie Chan
Hitmonlee: Bruce Lee
Gyarados: Betty (Cookies for you if you get the reference)
Aegislash: Leviathan
Azelf: Stardust
Tyrogue: Karate Kid
Gengar: Cheshire
Hitmontop: Jet Lee

There are some of my good ones. I like the tyrogue line the most because they are named after famous fighters.

Is Betty from JeromeASF pixelmon series?

Hmn, I would have to say some of my favorites that use references are:

Bayonetta - Female Umbreon [From, well... Bayonetta]
Chrom - Shiny Gallade [Fire Emblem Awakening]
Rao - Shiny Ninetails [Okami]
Mikasa/Captain Levi - Skarmory [Attack On Titan]

Back