Weighing Packs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equinox

Stallwart Player
Lugia ex said:
This would tick me off as well! Buying packs and not pulling holos... Then again not everyone knows this method. Actually I don't think the store owner would even care because its money that they are getting, but thanks for sharing the idea! I actually might try this, but I will guess the weight by weighing them in my hands... Btw I hate that they seal the packs in blisters, its just annoying to open...

What, why would you say it'd make you mad if someone did this to you, then you go and say you're gonna do that? What a hypocrite. I myself thinks this is wrong, your basically stealing cards from other people who have a fair chance at getting it, and those who need it. It's basically just as bad as stealing candy from a baby :/

BlueEmboar'n'Bisharp

Bandolen Region coming soon...
I personally, haven't tried this. But I do have a question for everybody against it (which I do not think you are wrong, you are making a very valid point): If you pick up two random packs and your reading the back or something like that, and you notice that one is heavier than the other, (you weren't weighing them but you did notice the difference just from handling them) which one would you pick?

I wouldn't like it if someone had gotten all of the good packs and left the bad ones, it ruins the excitement (as already said by Viper.Fox). But I also understand the fact that collector's might need a certain card and don't have the kind of money to spend on a bad pack, and they might want more bang for their buck.

I'll be honest, I'm deadlocked. :(

scizorlicious

Now with one fewer 's'
TheBreen said:
From a retail standpoint, if somebody comes in and weighs and purchases all the packs with the money cards (and does so in front of a crowd of players, which is very common), the store is stuck with half a dead box that everybody there knows has nothing left in it.
I highly doubt that you ever have even a majority of the people who buy from a store in the store itself. There are plenty of people who buy cards, they're not all going to be there at once.

Tyrant Tyranitar said:
I myself thinks this is wrong, your basically stealing cards from other people who have a fair chance at getting it, and those who need it. It's basically just as bad as stealing candy from a baby
This is what it all comes down to. People don't remember that EVERYBODY has the opportunity to weigh packs. If someone chooses not to, it's his loss.
Let me give you an example of what I mean: There are two people. We'll call these people person A and person B. Person A is a carpenter, but person B doesn't know a thing about wood. They both go to, say, Home Depot to buy boards of wood to make a table out of. Now, this store is poorly organized and just throws all the wood together rather than sorting it by type. Person A, being a carpenter, chooses the wood that he knows will hold the most, be the lightest, and look nicest overall. Person B comes in after and, not knowing a thing about wood, chooses wood at random. Obviously he's not going to get as high-quality wood after person A took a lot of it. So did person A do something wrong by taking person B's chance to get high-quality wood? Should he have blind-folded himself and chosen wood at random? Or does his knowledge allow him to justify taking the better wood?

Equinox

Stallwart Player
Scizorliscious said:
This is what it all comes down to. People don't remember that EVERYBODY has the opportunity to weigh packs. If someone chooses not to, it's his loss.
Let me give you an example of what I mean: There are two people. We'll call these people person A and person B. Person A is a carpenter, but person B doesn't know a thing about wood. They both go to, say, Home Depot to buy boards of wood to make a table out of. Now, this store is poorly organized and just throws all the wood together rather than sorting it by type. Person A, being a carpenter, chooses the wood that he knows will hold the most, be the lightest, and look nicest overall. Person B comes in after and, not knowing a thing about wood, chooses wood at random. Obviously he's not going to get as high-quality wood after person A took a lot of it. So did person A do something wrong by taking person B's chance to get high-quality wood? Should he have blind-folded himself and chosen wood at random? Or does his knowledge allow him to justify taking the better wood?

Your example is kind of irrelevant to the topic, mind you there have been claims of this not working, which basically nullifies some of the example. While yes, I just contradicted myself in a way, it still is basically stealing, because if you have a basic knowledge that chances are a pack might have a Prime in it and another person doesn't know the pack has the Prime, but needs it, that's basically robbing them, or others have said, your basically taking the best cards from the box and letting people unknowingly spend so much money just to get some otherwise useless cards

jhaze

Aspiring Trainer
Scizorliscious said:

But nearly everyone knows which pack is heavier out of two it comes down to what kind of a person they are.

PS: Why would a person that knows nothing about wood be making a table out of wood?

scizorlicious

Now with one fewer 's'
I never said the example was perfect. It doesn't matter that they're making a table; they just need the wood for some purpose. That's not the point, though.

Alright, so let's say everyone knows which pack is heavier. Everyone would take the heavier pack. Everyone has the ABILITY to research types of wood, but most people just don't take the time. It's possible, though, just like weighing cards.

Tyrant Tyranitar said:
Your example is kind of irrelevant to the topic, mind you there have been claims of this not working, which basically nullifies some of the example.
If it doesn't work, then what are we arguing about? Either it works or it doesn't. If it works, well then that's what I'm assuming. If it doesn't, don't try to argue that it's unethical, because it doesn't change anything anyways.

Tyrant Tyranitar said:
it still is basically stealing, because if you have a basic knowledge that chances are a pack might have a Prime in it and another person doesn't know the pack has the Prime, but needs it, that's basically robbing them, or others have said, your basically taking the best cards from the box and letting people unknowingly spend so much money just to get some otherwise useless cards
No, it's not stealing. Everyone CAN weigh packs. Some people choose not to, and that's their loss if they don't pull as many Primes. If you put in the work to weigh them, you can get the Primes more often.

thefleeee

Uber N00b
Scizorliscious said:
I never said the example was perfect. It doesn't matter that they're making a table; they just need the wood for some purpose. That's not the point, though.

Alright, so let's say everyone knows which pack is heavier. Everyone would take the heavier pack. Everyone has the ABILITY to research types of wood, but most people just don't take the time. It's possible, though, just like weighing cards.

If it doesn't work, then what are we arguing about? Either it works or it doesn't. If it works, well then that's what I'm assuming. If it doesn't, don't try to argue that it's unethical, because it doesn't change anything anyways.

No, it's not stealing. Everyone CAN weigh packs. Some people choose not to, and that's their loss if they don't pull as many Primes. If you put in the work to weigh them, you can get the Primes more often.

I agree with you completely. People are given the right to do what they want as long as they dont break any laws. Also, Scizor you wanna try this out sometime, just for fun :)

And you dont know what prime/legend/holo you are going to get so there is still excitement

viper.fox

色違いピジョット
Since we're starting to go around in many circles, I am going to lock this. Feel free to PM me if you have a really, REALLY good reason to get this opened again.

My stance is still as it is: it's unethical (it's a little something called personal ethics people, and I'm not talking hand weighing/intuitive weighing but the problem of people who use jewellers scales to actually measure the packs to the nth degree), and yes there are a lot of stores that disallow it because of these factors on top of business models when it comes to stock. I know I'd personally throw out people from my store if they were doing something akin to this with stock, and I know I wouldn't be the only one.

If you want more primes, buy a box. Don't ruin it for people who buy the packs off the shelf.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I weighed B&W 114/114 Zekrom was 2 grams and 112/114 Metal Energy was 2 grams.

I then weighed some Holon Phantoms: 5 were 15 grams, 1 was 16 grams, 6 were 17 grams and 1 was 18 grams.

My scale only weighs in whole grams. 1 gram = 0.0352739619 ounces. The difference the lightest pack and the heaviest is 0.1058218857 ounces, so 1/10 of an ounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.