• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Volcanion

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
~Pokemon(12)~

4 Volcanion STS 25
4 Volcanion EX STS 115
1 Tauros GX SuMo 156
2 Shaymin EX RSK 106
1 Hoopa EX AOR 89

~Trainers(36)~

3 Professor Sycamore
2 N
2 Lysandre
1 Fisherman
1 Ninja Boy
1 Pokemon Ranger

3 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
3 Trainers Mail
1 Professors Letter
3 Energy Retrieval
3 Max Elixir
1 Escape Rope
2 Fighting Fury Belt
3 Float Stone

2 Sky Field
1 Parallel City

~Energy(12)~

12 Fire Energy

Please any feedback and ideas are always very welcome. I have never used Volcanion before but have several people at my league recommend it.

Last edited:
Volcanion is a really good Deck. I know that from playing against it and crying myself to sleep after that.
Sadly im not 100% on how you should build one. Im just gonna try to give you my Logic on some of your Trainer Cards. Energy and Pokémon Cards wise you should be gud.
I think the Ninja Boy is kinda unnecessary in your Deck. As you don´t really have anything like a Jolteon that would profit from a surprise switch in or that you can get coverage if you need it. Except if you wanna Stack energy to a Pokemon and then switch into the Flareon. But the Volcanion kinda lives of the disposal of Energy and the Steam up ability. So i dunno if thats gonna help you.
4 Ultra Balls seems a bit much. At least for me. Especially with the 2 Shaymin.
Might subsitute 2 of those for more energy getting cards. As you always want some on hand to dish out a lot of damage. May i ask why you put in a Sky Field ?

Greetings from Germany (Yes imma be that guy that uses complementary ending sentencenes in a forum.)

From my point of view: Ninja Boy is really unecessary since you have 2 Shaymin EX (in case you happen to start with one, you still have the other one) and you aren't using Hoopa EX.
Only 2 Trainer's Mail seems quite uneffective on this deck, I'd add at least 1 more or exchange them for 2 Skyla, since Skyla can search in your deck for most of the cards you might need (Stadiums, Ultra Balls, Energy Retrieval, Float Stone, Professor's Letter, Fighting Fury Belt)
3 N seems overkill since you are using 4 Sycamore and 2 Shaymin EX, I'd take at least one out.

Or

You could keep Ninja Boy and:
add 1 Hoopa EX
take out 1 N
take out 1 Flareon EX
add 1 more Trainer's Mail
take out 1 Fighting Fury Belt or 1 VS Seeker.
add 1 more Float Stone or add 1 Olympia or remove 2 Float stones and add 2 Switch and 1 Olympia.

I run Volcanion EX and there seems to be 2 main "variants:" 1) "standard" (for lack of a better term) which is quite similar to your build in which you plan to setup "normally" via dumping R energy and then use Power Heater to power-up your benched Flareon EX and/or Volcanion EX; and 2: "agressive" which also uses Max Elixirs in order to more quickly power-up the afore-mentioned secondary, benched attackers to hopefully gain early game advantages.

A few thoughts for your consideration:

• Good news: you only have 35 Trainers presently listed, not 36.
  • IMO, running a Hoopa EX yields more advantages than disadvantages. Given that this decks thrives in having multiple, benched Volcanion EXs, Hoopa Ex is great in facilitating your bench setup.
  • Potentially playing 2 Shaymin EXs and 2 Flareon EXs creates a bit of risk in that both of these Pokémon have lower "average" HP for an EX Pokémon; so, they are definitely Lysandre and 1HKO targets for opponents. So, consider running at least 1 Parallel City in order to remove unwanted/unneeded Pokémon from your bench.
  • Further, should you find that M Mewtwo EX decks are popular in your area, running a FCO Mew can be an effective counter since it can 1HKO a M Mewtwo EX given the proper amount of attached energy. If this is the case, consider replacing either 1 Shaymin EX or Flareon EX with Mew.
  • Ninja Boy is a great card for this deck since it allows you to perform "sneak" attacks, also get unwanted/unneeded Pokémon (e.g., Hoopa EX or Shaymin EX) off your bench, and/or provides you with an option to switch out a wounded, 2-prize target with a 1-prize Pokémon.
  • IMO, you have decent card-draw support and the Scorched Earth, although they can help, are not "critical." Running a Delinquent to counter an opponent's Stadium, I've found, to be very helpful and its reuse (via VS Seeker) is a very nice option too (especially when you can remove all remaining cards from your opponent's hand).
  • Have you considered running an Olympia as another switching option vs. only Float Stone? Olympia provides some minor healing too, is reusable via VS Seeker and can't be countered unlike Float Stone and other attached Tools - Beedrill EX is now a popular tech for many players (at least in my area)
Suggested changes for your consideration:

-1 Flareon EX / Shaymin EX
-1 Float Stone
-2 Scorched Earth

+1 Hoopa EX
+1 Delinquent
+1 Olympia
+1 Parallel City
+1 Trainer's Mail - increased consistency

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Last edited:
Volcanion is a really good Deck. I know that from playing against it and crying myself to sleep after that.
Sadly im not 100% on how you should build one. Im just gonna try to give you my Logic on some of your Trainer Cards. Energy and Pokémon Cards wise you should be gud.
I think the Ninja Boy is kinda unnecessary in your Deck. As you don´t really have anything like a Jolteon that would profit from a surprise switch in or that you can get coverage if you need it. Except if you wanna Stack energy to a Pokemon and then switch into the Flareon. But the Volcanion kinda lives of the disposal of Energy and the Steam up ability. So i dunno if thats gonna help you.
4 Ultra Balls seems a bit much. At least for me. Especially with the 2 Shaymin.
Might subsitute 2 of those for more energy getting cards. As you always want some on hand to dish out a lot of damage. May i ask why you put in a Sky Field ?

Greetings from Germany (Yes imma be that guy that uses complementary ending sentencenes in a forum.)

Thanks for the advice. Sky Field is in here so I can have four Volcanion out if I need them, plus maybe Shaymin and Hoopa, and if I have Flareon out there, plus any baby Volcanion I might have. If the opponent plays another stadium than I can discard Shaymins and Hoopa since they aren't necessary anymore. If I play a deck that needs Sky Field. (example: Mega Ray) than I can use Scorched Earth instead. Makes since to me, and I've seen it and other peoples builds, but maybe it isn't the best idea. I'll get back to you after some testing :)

Greeting

I run Volcanion EX and there seems to be 2 main "variants:" 1) "standard" (for lack of a better term) which is quite similar to your build in which you plan to setup "normally" via dumping R energy and then use Power Heater to power-up your benched Flareon EX and/or Volcanion EX; and 2: "agressive" which also uses Max Elixirs in order to more quickly power-up the afore-mentioned secondary, benched attackers to hopefully gain early game advantages.

A few thoughts for your consideration:

• Good news: you only have 35 Trainers presently listed, not 36.
  • IMO, running a Hoopa EX yields more advantages than disadvantages. Given that this decks thrives in having multiple, benched Volcanion EXs, Hoopa Ex is great in facilitating your bench setup.
  • Potentially playing 2 Shaymin EXs and 2 Flareon EXs creates a bit of risk in that both of these Pokémon have lower "average" HP for an EX Pokémon; so, they are definitely Lysandre and 1HKO targets for opponents. So, consider running at least 1 Parallel City in order to remove unwanted/unneeded Pokémon from your bench.
  • Further, should you find that M Mewtwo EX decks are popular in your area, running a FCO Mew can be an effective counter since it can 1HKO a M Mewtwo EX given the proper amount of attached energy. If this is the case, consider replacing either 1 Shaymin EX or Flareon EX with Mew.
  • Ninja Boy is a great card for this deck since it allows you to perform "sneak" attacks, also get unwanted/unneeded Pokémon (e.g., Hoopa EX or Shaymin EX) off your bench, and/or provides you with an option to switch out a wounded, 2-prize target with a 1-prize Pokémon.
  • IMO, you have decent card-draw support and the Scorched Earth, although they can help, are not "critical." Running a Delinquent to counter an opponent's Stadium, I've found, to be very helpful and its reuse (via VS Seeker) is a very nice option too (especially when you can remove all remaining cards from your opponent's hand).
  • Have you considered running an Olympia as another switching option vs. only Float Stone? Olympia provides some minor healing too, is reusable via VS Seeker and can't be countered unlike Float Stone and other attached Tools - Beedrill EX is now a popular tech for many players (at least in my area.
Suggested changes for your consideration:

-1 Flareon EX / Shaymin EX
-1 Float Stone
-2 Scorched Earth

+1 Hoopa EX
+1 Delinquent
+1 Olympia
+1 Parallel City
+1 Trainer's Mail - increased consistency

I hope you find these comments helpful.

Thank you very much for the advice. I would like to use max elixir, but dunno what to take out for it. Maybe not needed or what?

Thank you very much for the advice. I would like to use max elixir, but dunno what to take out for it. Maybe not needed or what?
The idea behind Max Elixir, IMO, is to facilitate an aggressive offensive start.

IMO, your current list of Pokémon, Supporters and Stadiums, are quite solid; so, those should not change at this point until after some play-testing. So, that leaves the Items and energy we can perhaps tinker with prioritizing (from most critical to least critical) the remaining cards. Consider the following changes in order to find 3 slots for Max Elixir:

-1 Energy Retrieval
-1 Professor's Letter
-1 Fire

These particular cards were selected because of the strong card-drawing support you have to get setup T1 (T2 at the latest). To some degree, you will be 2HKOing most opponent's EX Pokémon; so, you could also replace 1 of the FFB instead.

You may receive a variety of responses to your question and those responses may be highly influenced by one's play style, strategy, metagame, etc. So, I'd encourage you to play-test different options till you find the one that works best for you.

From my point of view: Ninja Boy is really unecessary

No, Ninja Boy is regarded as a very important piece of most Volcanion lists. Most of the top players I know seem to agree. I don't see it leaving the list anytime soon. What I do see is a way to increase energy count to better the odds of hitting a max elixir.

No, Ninja Boy is regarded as a very important piece of most Volcanion lists. Most of the top players I know seem to agree. I don't see it leaving the list anytime soon. What I do see is a way to increase energy count to better the odds of hitting a max elixir.
You should read the whole topic before quoting something I wrote.
I said Ninja Boy was unecessary on the build he had before and on the same post I wrote what he would need to modify in order to give some actual use to Ninja Boy.

Most recent edit:

-1 Flareon EX
-2 Sky Field
-1 Parallel City

+1 Entei aor 14
+2 Rough Seas
+1 Energy Retrieval

Entei is for Rayquaza match-ups and Rough Seas is to heal volcanion

Okay, so you 100% need Salamence-EX. It's far, far better than Entei for M Rayquaza, and it also destroys the Yveltal matchup if they play the 4 Big bird. while Entei, yes, can be steamed up, you have to discard energies to do the same damage that you'd use for Salamence. Not to mention it's also a Hoopa target. And do I need to mention it's also how you beat Mewtwo? Mew gets shut down by Garbodor, and that makes you lose even more to Mewtwo than you normally would. The truth is, Salamence-EX is the most broken tech for this deck. Also, I'd like to point out Ninja Boy is NOT a good card for this deck. Because Ninja Boy doesn't remove effects of Pokemon, and because you play between 2 different Pokemon to attack with( most of the time ), it really is worthless, and it's way better to play Escape Rope in its place, because it rids Volcanion of its "can't attack next turn" effect, and helps against things such as Jolteon or Regice, since Vilebox is a horrible matchup. And Prof's Letter is just a bad card, altogether... If you want really, REALLY want to, you can play 1, but it doesn't help if you burn through your deck T1. That's why people started playing 4 Energy Retrievals. I don't particularly know how I feel about Rough Seas, so I won't comment about it, other than it immediately goes when Altar of the Sunne comes out. I also want to say that switch cards are good for Volcanion, since the whole, not being able to attack twice in a row is a thing. It also is the closest you get to healing other than Olympia, since your opponent is forced the Lysandre play if they want that KO. And my closing thoughts are, I believe Volcanion will become God-tier when SM base set becomes legal, since the, more or less, best cards are weak to Volcanion in some way. Anyway, good luck on your deck! Your list is getting up there, but if you want my list to compare, just ask(you could also use Pokemon.com's lists).

Okay, so you 100% need Salamence-EX. It's far, far better than Entei for M Rayquaza, and it also destroys the Yveltal matchup if they play the 4 Big bird. while Entei, yes, can be steamed up, you have to discard energies to do the same damage that you'd use for Salamence. Not to mention it's also a Hoopa target. And do I need to mention it's also how you beat Mewtwo? Mew gets shut down by Garbodor, and that makes you lose even more to Mewtwo than you normally would. The truth is, Salamence-EX is the most broken tech for this deck. Also, I'd like to point out Ninja Boy is NOT a good card for this deck. Because Ninja Boy doesn't remove effects of Pokemon, and because you play between 2 different Pokemon to attack with( most of the time ), it really is worthless, and it's way better to play Escape Rope in its place, because it rids Volcanion of its "can't attack next turn" effect, and helps against things such as Jolteon or Regice, since Vilebox is a horrible matchup. And Prof's Letter is just a bad card, altogether... If you want really, REALLY want to, you can play 1, but it doesn't help if you burn through your deck T1. That's why people started playing 4 Energy Retrievals. I don't particularly know how I feel about Rough Seas, so I won't comment about it, other than it immediately goes when Altar of the Sunne comes out. I also want to say that switch cards are good for Volcanion, since the whole, not being able to attack twice in a row is a thing. It also is the closest you get to healing other than Olympia, since your opponent is forced the Lysandre play if they want that KO. And my closing thoughts are, I believe Volcanion will become God-tier when SM base set becomes legal, since the, more or less, best cards are weak to Volcanion in some way. Anyway, good luck on your deck! Your list is getting up there, but if you want my list to compare, just ask(you could also use Pokemon.com's lists).
I think he uses Ninja Boy to recycle/remove Hoopa EX/Shaymin EX from the bench and to get other useful pokémon from the deck as well.
But yeah, I think this deck needs more Switch/Escape Rope/Float Stone since he will need it when he attacks with Volcanion EX.

I will add more switch cards. I like the idea of Salamence. I think I will play test it both ways. Thanks

If you DO play Ninja boy to get Hoopa/ Shaymin off the field don't forget that now have switching cards to get out of the active, and Parallel City is a great one-of in this because it gets those off the bench, and counters other Parallel City decks so you don't lose damage. Glad I helped:)

How did the play test go? My son wants to build a Volcanion deck and I have been reading this thread to see what he may be able to do.

How did the play test go? My son wants to build a Volcanion deck and I have been reading this thread to see what he may be able to do.

I tested against Mega ray and Rainbow Road today and I would still go for Entei. Salamence was okay, but I like Entei because it is a non EX attacker. Hope this helps you :)

I tested against Mega ray and Rainbow Road today and I would still go for Entei. Salamence was okay, but I like Entei because it is a non EX attacker. Hope this helps you :)
Not to mention that Salamance EX will become very unstable once Sun & Moon is out (also Entei works agaisnt non-ex decks as well).

-1 Entei
-1 Sycamore
-1 Prof Letter
-2 Rough Seas

+1 Tauros GX
+1 Energy Retrieval
+1 Float Stone
+2 Sky Field

Back