Discussion Volcanion Stadium decision

JustOutsideOfTopCut

Aspiring Trainer
With Guardians Rising, it has added some interesting choices for Volcanion decks and opens it up to multiple builds. I'm thinking of a 2-2 line, but not sure which 2 ways to play it:

Rough Seas: Amazing counter to some attacks since Volcanion EX counts as water.

Brooklet Hill: Can pull an EX every turn without wasting ultra balls

Altar of the Sunne: Removing weakness is always good i suppose.

Scorched Earth: This card can change the entire deck engine with the addition of Mallow. You can play Mallow, put 2 cards at the top of your deck, then discard an energy and put those two cards to your hand.

I'm gearing more toward Scorched Earth, but at the same time, the bench can get full so adding a Sky Cloud isn't a bad choice either.

TheDude133

Aspiring Trainer
I feel like you can narrow it down to Scorched Earth vs Sky Field vs Brooklet Hill. You want stadiums that do something during your turn, or expect to last only one turn. Scorched I'd say is the best, but with Lele being on the bench now, maybe Skyfield takes that place? Then you could get rid of your Hoopa's or Shaymin's if they get rid of Skyfield. If you want to take the Hoopa out of your deck, you could play Brooklet.

1. Scorched Earth
2. Skyfield
3. Brooklet Hill
4. Parallel City
5. Nothing else

AuraJackle

Aspiring Trainer
if your running altar you have to run 4 otherwise its not worth it. 2 scorched earth and one sky field is a pretty solid choice

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Interesting discussion thread... Thanks @JustOutsideOfTopCut ; I've pondered this question a few times recently, and it seems to come down to the Volcanion EX deck variant I am playing. All 4 listed Stadiums have merit, but for me, given my current Volcanion EX deck build and area's metagame, my prioritized list is and their respective counts:

1. Scorched Earth - only needed early game (1-3 turns)
2. Parallel City - too versatile from both offense and defense positions - this should be ranked 1 perhaps since I run this Stadium in all my decks
3. Altar of the Sunne - removes R Pokémon Weakness

JustOutsideOfTopCut

Aspiring Trainer
My current build is:

3 Volcanion
4 Volcanion EX
2 Turtonator
1 Tapu Lele
2 Staryu
2 Starmie

4 max elixir
2 escape rope
1 field blower
4 VS seeker
3 ultra ball
1 rescue stretcher
2 float stone

1 brooklet hill
3 scorched earth

1 Pokemon ranger
1 Psychic's Third Eye (to get energy in the discard pile for Turtonator)
1 Lysandre
2 Mallow
3 N
1 Lysandre
3 Professor Sycamore
1 Olympia

12 fire energy

TheDude133

Aspiring Trainer
My current build is:

3 Volcanion
4 Volcanion EX
2 Turtonator
1 Tapu Lele
2 Staryu
2 Starmie

4 max elixir
2 escape rope
1 field blower
4 VS seeker
3 ultra ball
1 rescue stretcher
2 float stone

1 brooklet hill
3 scorched earth

1 Pokemon ranger
1 Psychic's Third Eye (to get energy in the discard pile for Turtonator)
1 Lysandre
2 Mallow
3 N
1 Lysandre
3 Professor Sycamore
1 Olympia

12 fire energy
Is the only reason you play Starmie over Professor Letter, Vileplume?

Also, looking at the bench space, Active small Volcanion, three benched EX Volcanions, Starmie, and a Lele/Turtle, and your bench is full. Do you ever have bench problems?

Do you play such a high Scorched Line solely because of the 2 Mallow?

I understand the concept of PTE, but it just doesn't seem worth it. You have a deep Support line, but a weak Trainer line for a deck that plays Max Elixer. It just seems like you are too draw focused. And in Pokemon, where you don't have multi-card combos, it doesn't seem like you need THAT much draw.

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
Is the only reason you play Starmie over Professor Letter, Vileplume?

Also, looking at the bench space, Active small Volcanion, three benched EX Volcanions, Starmie, and a Lele/Turtle, and your bench is full. Do you ever have bench problems?

Do you play such a high Scorched Line solely because of the 2 Mallow?

I understand the concept of PTE, but it just doesn't seem worth it. You have a deep Support line, but a weak Trainer line for a deck that plays Max Elixer. It just seems like you are too draw focused. And in Pokemon, where you don't have multi-card combos, it doesn't seem like you need THAT much draw.

Starmie takes out the need to use items in order to pull your energy back out for steam ups. No VS Seeker for Fisherman or Energy Retrieval means no items in your discard means Garbodor can rot in the depths of its trashy hades where it belongs!