Pokémon USUM VGC team

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I've been out of VGC for a while, and I have no clue what's good anymore. I could just use some suggestions for what's good in the official VGC format. So why VGC format? Because it's the only format that matters. I'm still looking up base stats for new mons, and Naganadel looks pretty good. I mainly want to know which legendaries are good so I can know what to soft-reset for before I catch them. EDIT: here's some of the team so far:

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

Stakataka @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 52 HP / 204 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rock Slide
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Wide Guard

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Landorus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Grass Knot
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Protect

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Last edited:
I've been out of VGC for a while, and I have no clue what's good anymore. I could just use some suggestions for what's good in the official VGC format. So why VGC format? Because it's the only format that matters. I'm still looking up base stats for new mons, and Naganadel looks pretty good. I mainly want to know which legendaries are good so I can know what to soft-reset for before I catch them.
Ultra Necrozma is a beast with a higher base stats than Arceus. Mewtwo's mega evolutions also have extremely high base stats, at 790 each, topping base stats for all generations. Those are the 2 I would go for, shining hunting for them could also be pretty cool. (Necrozma is shiny locked)

Ultra Necrozma is a beast with a higher base stats than Arceus. Mewtwo's mega evolutions also have extremely high base stats, at 790 each, topping base stats for all generations. Those are the 2 I would go for, shining hunting for them could also be pretty cool. (Necrozma is shiny locked)
Both of those Mons are banned.

Unfortunately, I am not sure which Legendaries are legal, however, Tapu Lele is likely to be very playable due to Psychic Terrain.

All major legendaries are banned. All the less important ones like the bird trio, the Tapus, Ultra Beasts. I think I have a couple Pokemon for my team. Bumping it now

I've been out of VGC for a while, and I have no clue what's good anymore. I could just use some suggestions for what's good in the official VGC format. So why VGC format? Because it's the only format that matters. I'm still looking up base stats for new mons, and Naganadel looks pretty good. I mainly want to know which legendaries are good so I can know what to soft-reset for before I catch them. EDIT: here's some of the team so far:

Florges @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Symbiosis
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 4 SpA / 68 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Aromatherapy

Stakataka @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 204 Def / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Rest
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock

Thundurus-Therian @ Electrium Z
Modest Nature
- Focus Blast
- Taunt
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Landorus-Therian @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Stone Edge

Pachirisu @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Nuzzle
- Follow Me
- Helping Hand
- Super Fang

Naganadel @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 92 Def / 252 SpA / 164 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Heat Wave
- Sludge Bomb
- Tailwind
Stakataka was tailor made to be a set up mon. Just look at the thing, it gets Trick Room, Wide Guard, Stealth Rock and Skill Swap by Tutor. As I result I think you have your strategy a bit off. Also I think that Thundurus I is better than Thundurus T because it gets access to Prankster.

bump. I've been winning a bunch of games on showdown with this team. I'll make small adjustments here and there if there's something I dislike.

Haha I just looked at your bio and it made me a bit sick in my mouth. Great improvements to the team though xD

I ran some calcs, and Timid max speed Thundurus-T is faster and has higher Sp. Atk than Modest max speed Thundurus-I by 1 point.

Stakataka was tailor made to be a set up mon. Just look at the thing, it gets Trick Room, Wide Guard, Stealth Rock and Skill Swap by Tutor. As I result I think you have your strategy a bit off. Also I think that Thundurus I is better than Thundurus T because it gets access to Prankster.
While Stakataka is pretty bulky, it's not meant to be a support Pokemon because of its horrible defensive typing. It's meant to be played as a full-on Trick Room attacker. Stakataka also has the strongest Gyro Ball in the game, given that it's the strongest and slowest user of the move; a Lonely nature with maximum Attack investment allows it to steamroll through pretty much anything. A Lonely nature may seem weird on Stakataka, but combining that with 15 Defense IVs will ensure that Stakataka's Attack will be boosted with Beast Boost:
-Rock Slide/Stone Edge
-Gyro Ball
-Trick Room/Protect/Wide Guard
-Earthquake/Superpower/Protect/Wide Guard
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Item: Life Orb/Rockium Z/Groundium Z/Fightinium Z

While Stakataka is pretty bulky, it's not meant to be a support Pokemon because of its horrible defensive typing. It's meant to be played as a full-on Trick Room attacker. Stakataka also has the strongest Gyro Ball in the game, given that it's the strongest and slowest user of the move; a Lonely nature with maximum Attack investment allows it to steamroll through pretty much anything. A Lonely nature may seem weird on Stakataka, but combining that with 15 Defense IVs will ensure that Stakataka's Attack will be boosted with Beast Boost:
-Rock Slide/Stone Edge
-Gyro Ball
-Trick Room/Protect/Wide Guard
-Earthquake/Superpower/Protect/Wide Guard
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Item: Life Orb/Rockium Z/Groundium Z/Fightinium Z
I still think that Brave is the way forward for Stakataka.

I still think that Brave is the way forward for Stakataka.
What makes you say that? Lonely is the optimal nature because it makes Stakataka more terrifying as it picks up more KOs. Brave will make Beast Boost increase Stakataka's Defense instead of its Attack, which somewhat hurts its ability to snowball. Another point of what makes Lonely more appealing is the good synergy with Z Crystals; they make it easier for Stakataka to start snowballing Attack boosts with Beast Boost. Increasing Stakataka's Defense with each KO just doesn't have the same effect. The bulk increase may make Stakataka less vulnerable to Earthquakes and Superpowers, but even without a Brave nature, Stakataka is still horribly slow. A Lonely nature with 15 Defense IVs will make Stakataka's Defense 200 at level 50, which is the equivalent of an uninvested 180 Defense and is still very bulky.

Watch shofu's latest video on him using Stakataka in doubles and you can see why the Attack boost from Beast Boost helps.

What makes you say that? Lonely is the optimal nature because it makes Stakataka more terrifying as it picks up more KOs. Brave will make Beast Boost increase Stakataka's Defense instead of its Attack, which somewhat hurts its ability to snowball. Another point of what makes Lonely more appealing is the good synergy with Z Crystals; they make it easier for Stakataka to start snowballing Attack boosts with Beast Boost. Increasing Stakataka's Defense with each KO just doesn't have the same effect. The bulk increase may make Stakataka less vulnerable to Earthquakes and Superpowers, but even without a Brave nature, Stakataka is still horribly slow. A Lonely nature with 15 Defense IVs will make Stakataka's Defense 200 at level 50, which is the equivalent of an uninvested 180 Defense and is still very bulky.

Watch shofu's latest video on him using Stakataka in doubles and you can see why the Attack boost from Beast Boost helps.
Look, I use Stakataka because it's a wall with Wide Guard, a Trick Room check, and a Fairy killer. Because Landorus and Mega Khan are so popular, I much prefer the defense boost. Now that that confusion is cleared up, what do you guys think of Ghostium Z Aegislash. I've been play with it over Lele for a little while and it looks pretty good. A Never-ending Nightmare and Mega Gengar's Shadow Ball is a guaranteed KO on Cresselia under any IV/ EV spread

Look, I use Stakataka because it's a wall with Wide Guard, a Trick Room check, and a Fairy killer. Because Landorus and Mega Khan are so popular, I much prefer the defense boost. Now that that confusion is cleared up, what do you guys think of Ghostium Z Aegislash. I've been play with it over Lele for a little while and it looks pretty good. A Never-ending Nightmare and Mega Gengar's Shadow Ball is a guaranteed KO on Cresselia under any IV/ EV spread
As I already mentioned, Brave still makes Stakataka's Defense higher than its Attack and you'll be getting Defense boosts with that spread or your current spread anyway. Speaking of Stakataka's current EV spread, what purpose does it serve? What specific KOs does it avoid? Stakataka's HP is significantly lower than its defenses, so it's more efficient to invest maximum HP first before moving on to the defenses:

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 52 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka in Psychic Terrain: 46-54 (32.1 - 37.7%) -- 94.9% chance to 3HKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka in Psychic Terrain: 46-54 (27.3 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Regardless of Stakataka being fully invested in Attack or Special Defense, assuming 31 IVs, its Defense will always be its highest stat, so I don't see the point of your current EV spread. Brave Stakataka with maximum Attack hits 201, while Sassy Stakataka with maximum Special Defense hits 168 Special Defense. Its uninvested Defense stat is 231, which is still very bulky and thus is its highest stat to Beast Boost with.

Last edited:
As I already mentioned, Brave still makes Stakataka's Defense higher than its Attack and you'll be getting Defense boosts with that spread or your current spread anyway. Speaking of Stakataka's current EV spread, what purpose does it serve? What specific KOs does it avoid? Stakataka's HP is significantly lower than its defenses, so it's more efficient to invest maximum HP first before moving on to the defenses:

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 52 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka in Psychic Terrain: 46-54 (32.1 - 37.7%) -- 94.9% chance to 3HKO

252+ SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Stakataka in Psychic Terrain: 46-54 (27.3 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Regardless of Stakataka being fully invested in Attack or Special Defense, assuming 31 IVs, its Defense will always be its highest stat, so I don't see the point of your current EV spread. Brave Stakataka with maximum Attack hits 201, while Sassy Stakataka with maximum Special Defense hits 168 Special Defense. Its uninvested Defense stat is 231, which is still very bulky and thus is its highest stat to Beast Boost with.
Noted

Back