• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Updated Zoroark-GX/Lucario-GX List

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
So I posted a Zoroark-GX/Lucario-GX list last week. After doing a significant amount of testing online, as well as taking the deck to my local league and playing the mirror match multiple times against a very talented friend, I wanted to share my updated list. I'll explain the major changes below.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 4 Zorua PR-SM SM83
* 4 Zoroark-GX PR-SM SM84
* 3 Riolu UPR 66
* 2 Lucario-GX PR-SM SM100
* 1 Tapu Koko PR-SM SM31
* 1 Mew-EX PR-XY XY126
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 3 Brigette BKT 134
* 3 Cynthia UPR 148
* 3 N NVI 92
* 4 Guzma BUS 143
* 1 Acerola BUS 142
* 1 Mallow GRI 145
* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 148
* 2 Evosoda GEN 62
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Puzzle of Time BKP 109
* 1 Enhanced Hammer PHF 94
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145

##Energy - 10

* 4 Double Colorless Energy SLG 69
* 4 Strong Energy FCO 115
* 2 Fighting Energy EVO 96

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

3-2 Lucario-GX: I was originally running a 4-3 line, but found it to be slightly more than necessary. You'll typically use 2 Lucario-GX a game so a 3-2 line is perfect because Acerola allows you to save a damaged Lucario-GX and Puzzle of Time gives us the flexibility of recycling pieces as needed.

1 Tapu Koko: A friend of mine who has been placing well at events this season (Top 32 at Memphis Regional and other solid placings at tournaments) is running this tech in his Zoroark-GX/Lucario-GX deck. He's taking it to Portland next weekend so I'm interested in seeing how well he does. Tapu Koko's spread damage helps Lucario-GX's Aura Strike take KOs on Pokémon it wouldn't be able to otherwise KO in one hit. It brings 190 HP Pokémon like Buzzwole-GX to 170 HP, which is the perfect number for a Strong Energy and Choice Banded Aura Strike. His main reason, however, for adding the card is to help deal with Ho-Oh-GX, which has been seeing more play recently. Being able to hit Ho-Oh for 100 with a Choice Band and spread 20 really helps set things up for both Zoroark and Lucario. Plus, the free retreat gives the deck a great starter.

1 Acerola, 1 Mallow, 1 Professor Kukui: I was originally running 3 Acerola, but was convinced that Mallow, and to a lesser extent, Professor Kukui, needed to be in the deck. Mallow and Trade is just too good to not include, allowing you to grab something like a surprise Mew-EX and a Double Colorless Energy, or a Lucario-GX and Strong Energy. The combinations are endless, but you get the idea. Professor Kukui is included because it allows you to hit some relevant numbers, mainly against big non-GX Pokémon where Choice Band is useless. I'm not entirely sold on Professor Kukui yet, but I see it's value.

I'd like to add a Float Stone but I don't know what I'd remove for it. I strongly believe that this build is incredibly solid and a great choice for anyone attending a tournament anytime soon. This deck does not have any auto-losses, it's great against the most relevant Pokémon in the format (Zoroark-GX), and has 50-50 or better matchups against other top tier decks. Let me know what you think!

I would drop the 4th Strong for a second Acerola. The effect is way too strong to not play at least 2, and 3 Strong/ 2 Fighting split is plenty, especially for a Zoroark deck. You don't play a thick enough Lucaribro line to warrant 4, and because you need 2 basic Fighting anyway, you have more ways to attack with Lucario than Zoroark either way. Great list though.

If you want the Float Stone, you can live to drop Kukui. If Koko is the best starter, what's the point if you can't start with it when you have no Float Stone to retreat into it. Koko also covers the 20 extra damage from Kukui anyway. As for the Stretcher, if you want it, you could just drop the Hammer. 1 single Enhanced Hammer isn't going to do much, and most of the time, you realistically would much rather grab something much more important with Puzzles. And Lucario aims to be more aggressive anyway.

I would drop the 4th Strong for a second Acerola. The effect is way too strong to not play at least 2, and 3 Strong/ 2 Fighting split is plenty, especially for a Zoroark deck. You don't play a thick enough Lucaribro line to warrant 4, and because you need 2 basic Fighting anyway, you have more ways to attack with Lucario than Zoroark either way. Great list though.

How is 0 Float Stone and 0 Stretcher working out? I wouldn't trust the deck without at least 1 of each.

If you want the Float Stone, you can live to drop Kukui. If Koko is the best starter, what's the point if you can't start with it when you have no Float Stone to retreat into it. Koko also covers the 20 extra damage from Kukui anyway. As for the Stretcher, if you want it, you could just drop the Hammer. 1 single Enhanced Hammer isn't going to do much, and most of the time, you realistically would much rather grab something much more important with Puzzles. And Lucario aims to be more aggressive anyway.

So I did drop the Professor Kukui for a Float Stone for the exact reason you listed. I don't think Stretcher is needed personally. I can retrieve anything with Puzzle of Time. I do think most decks should run Enhanced Hammer in today's Special Energy heavy format. I would actually like to fit in a second Enhanced Hammer, but space is an issue. The single copy has still come in handy. I do like the idea of adding a second Acerola so I will try removing a Strong Energy for it.

I've been playing the deck quite a bit online and it does well against any Zoroark-GX heavy deck. The Lycanroc-GX variant is a bit more even, but I still think Lucario-GX has the advantage. Buzzwole-GX has been giving me a bit of a problem, but I'll equate some of that to just sheer luck because it seems like every time I've played against it I've bricked while my opponent hit early Max Elixirs and everything else they needed. I've found that Tapu Koko makes a big difference against several match-ups. With Buzzwole-GX being ran by both finalists in today's Regional, I've thought about running Mew-EX and Mewtwo. It may seem like overkill but Mewtwo helps in other match-ups as well so I think it's worth looking at.

Dude I feel you, tested today against Garbodor Buzzwole and bricked enough to build a city.
It's really more harsh a match up since it runs a thicker Carbink line and if yu brick a little it leaves you far behind, compared to the Lycanroc variant.
I have the same opinion about the rescue stretcher, even tho I run 3 acerolas, i find it is not that needed if you hit fast enough.
I personally run 2 Buzzwoles instead of Koko since they make the Zoroark matchups (which is 40% of the decks) really really easy to pull off by KOing the Zoruas early game and setting the numbers straight for Lucario's kills with the 30-30, but I haven't tested against Ho-oh so I might have a little tunnel vision.
I dropped Mew-EX in favor of the Mewtwo since Buzzwoles are most often seen with carbinks now so I'd rather kill the Carbink after the set up and sneak a kill on Buzzwole while fully charged instead of going after it first and leavin two prizes with 120 hp behind, also Mew isn't extremely useful in mirror match as 120 is the floor damage of Lucario when attacking.
How are you faring with the parallel city? Any specific matchup it helps? I dropped it for a second hammer and haven't had the chance to test it that much.

Back