Ruling Updated Penalty Guidelines

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
Today the program released a new set of penalty guidelines. Judges shouldn't just be versed in this information, so should all the players who play competively. It's good that you understand what the consequences for your actions and mistakes may be and what judges are on the look out for. Ignorantia legis neminem excusat (ignorance of law excuses no one)

https://assets.pokemon.com/assets/c...es/play-pokemon-tcg-penalty-guidelines-en.pdf

Of note:

7.3. Double Prize Card
The Double Prize Card penalty is used when a mistake has been made that significantly affects
the game state and there is no clear way to resolve the issue, or when a Warning has been
given and a Quad Prize Card penalty would be too harsh. After a player receives a Double
Prize Card penalty, the offending player’s opponent is informed that in order to win that
game, they must take two fewer Prize cards than would normally be necessary according to
the format (i.e., they will win the game when they have two Prize cards remaining).
Should the opponent have only one or two Prize cards remaining at the time, the game is
over immediately, and the opponent wins the game. The opponent cannot decline to abide
by this penalty.

7.4. Quad Prize Card
The Quad Prize Card penalty is used when a mistake has been made that has a severe impact
on the game state and there is no clear way to resolve the issue, but a Game Loss penalty
would be too harsh. After a player receives a Quad Prize Card penalty, the offending player’s
opponent is informed that in order to win that game, they must take four fewer Prize cards
than would normally be necessary according to the format (i.e., they will win the game when
they have four Prize cards remaining).
Should the opponent have four or fewer Prize cards remaining at the time, the game is over
immediately, and the opponent wins the game. The opponent cannot decline to abide by this
penalty.

Last edited:
Interesting that you don’t get to draw the prizes. Though you would have a advantage of having the prize cards, you also have the risk of getting N’d. Thank you, and good to know as a competitive player!

Interesting that you don’t get to draw the prizes. Though you would have a advantage of having the prize cards, you also have the risk of getting N’d. Thank you, and good to know as a competitive player!
Or incurring the prize penalty so that you can play Counter Catcher or Counter Energy

My question is with new gx attack. If say u awarded a 2 double prize and stinger gx is used where both players go down to 3 prizes. What happens?

My question is with new gx attack. If say u awarded a 2 double prize and stinger gx is used where both players go down to 3 prizes. What happens?

I think, once the attack resolves, a rule-check timing occurs. Since one of the players got a double prize loss, it means the player awarded with the reduction of the win condition will apply and you will win.

Stinger GX will be a quite dangerous attack...

Do you mean 2x double prize penalties? Dunno if you typoed, there. I'll go assuming you meant that for now.

As I understand it:
  • No prize cards are removed from play when you received the penalties, there are just that many fewer that need to be drawn to meet a win condition
  • All prize cards that remain on the table are playable, so N would still let the player draw the number of prize cards still present
The prize penalty still stands as it was written: "in order to win that game, they must take two fewer Prize cards than would normally be necessary according to the format ". So to answer your question: if there were 4 cards as part of 2 different penaltes, requiring 4 less prizes to meet the win condition, and Stinger has made you draw 3, 2 of those shouldn't count. This is assuming you went from 6 cards on the table to only needing 2. If you started over from the effect of a card and went to 3, you would need 1 because the penalty will always stand.

If you had 4 prize cards left, but the penalty was enacted when 6 were on the table, Stinger should win you the game since you still needed 4x less to meet the win condition.

It will be interesting to see if the judges at upcoming tournaments are all consistent with their application of the penalties... I can see how a judges might not objectively apply a 2-prize vs. 4-prize penalty during a tournament. No penalty incident examples were provided; so, it would be helpful to ask the TO/head judge for this information before the tournament starts. Thoughts?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if the judges at upcoming tournaments are all consistent with their application of the penalties... I can see how a judges might not objectively apply a 2-prize vs. 4-prize penalty during a tournament. No penalty incident examples were provided; so, it would be helpful to ask the TO/head judge for this information a before the tournament starts. Thoughts?

examples of the various errors that cause penalties can be found in later sections of the document.

This doesn't really change what penalties are given just how we resolve the penalty, ie anything that was a Prize Card penalty is now a Double Prize Card penalty, anything that was a Multiple Prize Card penalty is now a Quad Prize Card penalty

This doesn't really change what penalties are given just how we resolve the penalty
The penalty gets resolved by happening no matter what. Before, the challenger of the offending player had the choice to draw prize cards to their hand. Now though no cards whatsoever are drawn, there are just fewer that must be drawn to meet a win condition -and they all remain 'in play'.

Last edited:
Back