• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Updated Buzzwole-GX/Lycanroc-GX... with Carbink!?!

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
So as many of you know (or maybe not!), I've been playing Buzzwole-GX/Lycanroc-GX extensively lately, taking it to two tournaments and seeing decent success with it. Up until my League Cup this past weekend, I knew that the deck had some issues, but felt that because it had the ability to be so dominant, whatever concerns I had were able to be overlooked. However, many of the issues I was able to overcome at my fourth place ARG Circuit Series finish resurfaced at my League Cup where I just barely missed Top Cut.

For starters, Max Elixir was not consistent. I was running 9 Fighting Energy and thought about including a 10th, but didn't want to remove Multi Switch. I was also having issues mid- to late-game if my only Buzzwole-GX went down and I didn't have another one set up ready to go. Another card I wanted to include but had difficultly making room for was Field Blower (if I had Field Blower, I strongly believe that two of the games I played at my League Cup would've been much more manageable).

So anyways, with all that info, I sat down to address my concerns and came up with this revised list:

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 13

* 3 Buzzwole-GX CIN 104
* 2 Rockruff PR-SM SM06
* 2 Lycanroc-GX GRI 138
* 1 Carbink FCO 49
* 1 Carbink BREAK FCO 51
* 1 Regirock-EX FCO 43
* 1 Oranguru PR-SM SM13
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

##Trainer Cards - 33

* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 4 N NVI 92
* 4 Guzma BUS 143
* 1 Gladion CIN 95
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 4 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 1 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 3 Brooklet Hill GRI 120
* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 3 Float Stone BKT 137

##Energy - 14

* 4 Strong Energy FCO 115
* 10 Fighting Energy 6

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I wanted to have another option to accelerate Energy, especially mid- to late-game, which is where I feel Buzzwole-GX really struggles if you can't get another set up quickly when one goes down. Carbink was a Pokèmon that my brother and I were looking at before our League Cup but ultimately decided against only because we didn't have the time to test it. I initially added a 2-2 line but quickly realized that Carbink Break isn't needed every game. You'll have games where you hit early Max Elixirs and be able to dominate and Carbink won't be necessary, but then you'll have games where you struggle to set up and Carbink is amazing in those situations.

Pay attention to the Carbink I'm using, too. I opted for the one from Fates Collide for it's Energy Keeper ability which states that as long as it's in play, your opponent can not discard Basic Energy from your Basic Pokémon. Mill decks like Sylveon-GX and Wishiwashi-GX/Xurkitree-GX/Hoopa have been seeing more play recently and Carbink heavily swings those matchups in your favor. I have yet to lose to a mill deck (I've played a few online).

Because I'm only playing a 1-1 line of Carbink Break, I'm currently testing Gladion, which has proved useful. How many times have you looked through your deck in the middle of a game for a card you need only to realize it's Prized? It happens quite a bit. I initially included Gladion to make sure I had access to Carbink and it's Break, but I've used it to grab other things, too.

I had to remove Octillery to add Carbink Break, which was something I didn't want to do, but I included a copy of Oranguru so I still had some late-game draw power. It's worked out so far, although I do miss Octillery.

I was also able to include two copies of Field Blower, which was much needed. I did take out Multi Switch, but my reasoning was that since I added a 10th Fighting Energy and Carbink Break, I shouldn't need Multi Switch as much.

Anyways, I've ranted long enough. Thank you if you took the time to read all this. I'm interested in hearing what you all think about the changes I made. Worth it? Not worth it? Anything you would change?

Not worth it, in my opinion. The deck is very streamlined and consistentas it was before. I think the cards you added will definetly make it more clunky. Also, I've never had a problem hitting Elixirs, or getting at least 2 up. I'm really not so sure Carbink will do much to help, unfortunately. Especially since you removed Octillery, which is the very thing that saves you late game.

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Not worth it, in my opinion. The deck is very streamlined and consistentas it was before. I think the cards you added will definetly make it more clunky. Also, I've never had a problem hitting Elixirs, or getting at least 2 up. I'm really not so sure Carbink will do much to help, unfortunately. Especially since you removed Octillery, which is the very thing that saves you late game.

Fair enough. I feel like the deck is still streamlined. The game plan is the same as it was before except now it has a response for games where it struggles to set up mid- to late-game. Oranguru doesn't offer the same level of draw power that Octillery does, but still helps and is a Basic so it's easy to get on the bench. I'm only running a 1-1 line of Carbink Break so it's not like I'm going to be drawing into Carbink pieces when I already have one on the field. If anything, I just replaced standard techs like Sudowoodo and Zygarde-EX with a Carbink line while also increasing my Energy count to help Max Elixir hit more often.

I will agree that Octillery should be included, but if I have two Buzzwole-GX, a Rockruff/Lycanroc-GX or two, Oranguru, and Carbink Break on the field, I'm usually in a pretty good spot.

I'll keep what you said in mind though! This isn't meant to be THE definite, optimal Buzzwole/Lycanroc list, just one that I feel potentially addresses the problems I've personally faced while playing it.

semurphy444

Aspiring Trainer
@HouchinsDJ I honestly think the answer to your specific problems are in your avatar. You'll see this in my Top 4 deck from December's list once those come out, but here a link to my deck list of what I feel is Buzzwole's best partner- and in particular helps you solve the issues you feel can be wrong with the typical Buzz/Lycanroc: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/buzzoroark-with-some-spice.145539/#post-2917736

Pro Lycanroc: Ability- Gust effect being able to choose who you attack multiple times per game. GX- Attack- usually a OHKO. Claw Slash's attack can get boosted by Strong Energies.

Pro Zoroark: Ability: Multiple Trades to thin your deck into cards you want. No GX Attack- however you'll get to Buzzwole-GX's attack more frequently and earlier in the game which is still a OHKO. Access to Puzzles- which literally can turn into a 5th & 6th Max Elixir and you're able to re-power a Buzzwole back up in a single turn (Additionally if you've got to the late game- your deck is quite thin so you'll probably hit them) However, I do think Zoroark's weakness is more of a liability than Lycanroc's.

I think a Guzma+Float Stone is virtually the same thing as Blood Thirsty Eyes; which yes you're using your supporter and cant play a draw supporter- but your draw support is in your abilities- I still have Octillery which can be an Abyssal Hand for 2 or 3 (sometimes though mid-game you're maxed out), and double trade gets you 4 more cards... which is almost as good as a Sycamore, but you're also thinning out Brigettes or other unplayable cards. As a whole I think the ability is advantage Zoroark.

I've had games where I've only hit one Max Elixir, but with a puzzle in hand- instead of needing to find your other 3 Max Elixir- you can find your other 3 Max Elixir OR your other 3 Puzzles- You've essentially doubled your odds of finding your 2nd Max Elixir. Usually I'll find myself Double Puzzle early for the items such as Evosoda & MaxElixir. And I'll Double Puzzle late for Guzma or Kukui for that bonus damage.

I think you're trading a OHKO with Dangerous Rogue with an earlier (and possibly) more impactful GX attack of Absorbtion-GX. So I'll call that even.

Zoroark cant OHKO a Lele (Unless they're nice enough to leave it active for you) like Lycanroc can which might be that determining factor on why Lycanroc is a better option. But I've had decent amount of success with my version of Buzzwole. This along with Weakness are Lycanroc's main advantages.

I hope I stayed on topic enough- without completely destroying your thread with your asking for help.

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
@HouchinsDJ I honestly think the answer to your specific problems are in your avatar. You'll see this in my Top 4 deck from December's list once those come out, but here a link to my deck list of what I feel is Buzzwole's best partner- and in particular helps you solve the issues you feel can be wrong with the typical Buzz/Lycanroc: http://www.pokebeach.com/forums/threads/buzzoroark-with-some-spice.145539/#post-2917736

Pro Lycanroc: Ability- Gust effect being able to choose who you attack multiple times per game. GX- Attack- usually a OHKO. Claw Slash's attack can get boosted by Strong Energies.

Pro Zoroark: Ability: Multiple Trades to thin your deck into cards you want. No GX Attack- however you'll get to Buzzwole-GX's attack more frequently and earlier in the game which is still a OHKO. Access to Puzzles- which literally can turn into a 5th & 6th Max Elixir and you're able to re-power a Buzzwole back up in a single turn (Additionally if you've got to the late game- your deck is quite thin so you'll probably hit them) However, I do think Zoroark's weakness is more of a liability than Lycanroc's.

I think a Guzma+Float Stone is virtually the same thing as Blood Thirsty Eyes; which yes you're using your supporter and cant play a draw supporter- but your draw support is in your abilities- I still have Octillery which can be an Abyssal Hand for 2 or 3 (sometimes though mid-game you're maxed out), and double trade gets you 4 more cards... which is almost as good as a Sycamore, but you're also thinning out Brigettes or other unplayable cards. As a whole I think the ability is advantage Zoroark.

I've had games where I've only hit one Max Elixir, but with a puzzle in hand- instead of needing to find your other 3 Max Elixir- you can find your other 3 Max Elixir OR your other 3 Puzzles- You've essentially doubled your odds of finding your 2nd Max Elixir. Usually I'll find myself Double Puzzle early for the items such as Evosoda & MaxElixir. And I'll Double Puzzle late for Guzma or Kukui for that bonus damage.

I think you're trading a OHKO with Dangerous Rogue with an earlier (and possibly) more impactful GX attack of Absorbtion-GX. So I'll call that even.

Zoroark cant OHKO a Lele (Unless they're nice enough to leave it active for you) like Lycanroc can which might be that determining factor on why Lycanroc is a better option. But I've had decent amount of success with my version of Buzzwole. This along with Weakness are Lycanroc's main advantages.

I hope I stayed on topic enough- without completely destroying your thread with your asking for help.

Thanks for the reply!

I think the reasoning behind your list is sound, but if I was going to run Buzzwole with Zoroark, I'd rather play a Zoroark/Lycanroc deck that techs in a copy of Buzzwole for early-game Jet Punches instead of using it as my main attacker.

I think my main issue with Zoroark in this list is that I would have to do a complete overhaul. It wouldn't even be the same deck. Buzzwole can't use DCE and Zoroark can't use Max Elixir (I guess it can before it evolves but no one would want to waste an Elixir on a Zorua) or Strong Energy. Lycanroc, on the other hand, can use Strong Energy and you can Max Elixir onto it before it evolves and not have that Elixir go to waste. It also gives you access to one of the strongest GX attacks in the format right now for only two Energy, plus an amazing ability that can win you games. I'm not saying a Buzzwole/Zoroark list wouldn't work, but I don't think it works in this build based on the way I want to run it.