Tournament Toronto Ontario Regional

zPringle

Canadian Pokemon TCG player
Hello everyone my name is Kevin Pringle and i'll be attending my first Regional tournament (Toronto Ontario Canada) in May. I'm just looking for some pointers ie. what to expect/bring and what to look out for while i'm there. Also will the new set (ULTRA Prism) be playable during that time?

Hello Kevin, my name is Kevin as well :) Nice to meet you, glad to see someone else getting into the competitive scene. I recently attended my first regional last month in Memphis and had a blast! Expect a long day of pokemon, I would recommend bringing a deck you are very comfortable with, as the experience is mentally exhausting enough without having to constantly deal with unfamiliar situations. As a strategy point, it is also generally agreed upon that faster decks have a better chance than slower decks at performing well in large events, mostly because they will end up in fewer ties on average.

Food should be available, but probably will be quite pricy, so bringing your own is probably worthwhile. Definitely bring a water bottle to refill between rounds, this was a lifesaver for me throughout the day!

As for the new sets, ultra prism will definitely be legal...pretty sure there will be another set coming out around that time as well, don't know if that one will be released before the tourney or not. I'm tentatively planning on going to Toronto as well, as I live in the Midwest and will be off of work at that time, maybe I'll see you there!

Hello everyone my name is Kevin Pringle and i'll be attending my first Regional tournament (Toronto Ontario Canada) in May. I'm just looking for some pointers ie. what to expect/bring and what to look out for while i'm there. Also will the new set (ULTRA Prism) be playable during that time?
In terms of preparing for the actual tournament, I'd suggest:
  • Review the "top," current decks at that time. Play those decks (at league and/or a free Pokémon TCG online site if you don't have the actual cards), as well as play against those decks. Do this to better understand how those decks function and their respective strategy.
  • Play-test with Poké pals who'll
  • Play-test your deck ALOT against a variety of decks, as well as player skill levels. Note that every deck will have bad match-ups; but, you want ideally to have decent-to-good winning odds against "most" anticipated.
  • Time your games during play-testing in order to get accustomed to playing in a best-of-3, 50 minute match.
  • For the actual tournament, consider bringing extra deck sleeves (some may tear), completed deck lists (in case you can not submit your deck list electronically before the tournament), bottled water, snacks.
  • Get a good night's sleep before the first day of the tournament.
There are more tips I'm sure, but these are my initial ones. I hope you find these comments helpful.

I too hope to make my Pokemon regionals debut in Toronto! (Even though I live in Florida, but the spouse and I want to have our first vacation/honeymoon in Canada and Toronto so we want to try to go there). I assuming like any convention and event, it's gonna be a long day/weekend,

One of the things I want to know or learn are common courtesies for tournament play that aren't that common or well known. What are some things that new players are thrown off of when it comes to big tournament play? I know one thing that will throw me off is other people touching my cards, especially if they try to handle them more aggressively. Also, would people be offended if I were to use hand sanitizer throughout the day? haha

Another question is if my spouse does not want to participate in the event, and I do, can they stay close to me and watch me play, that way we are still more or less together on our vacation? Or do they have to be separated?

EDIT: For anyone following my life, I will not be going to Toronto Regionals..

Last edited:
Back