Discussion Time for a New Direction.

Chad2222

Aspiring Trainer
I have only been playing a short time and need a bit of help. I have already gotten a taste of the fight in a prerelease tournament for the latest set and want more! With that being said, I am in need of help in making a standard deck. Not really sure where to start so I am going to ask you fine folks!

The easiest thing for a new player is to start out with a theme deck and build up from there. Use your time with that deck to familiarize yourself with the game, how it works, and how it doesn't work. After that your noggin' will start joggin' and any advice you receive from others will be of more benefit. Experience is the greatest teacher.

OK maybe I should have clarified. I am not a total beginner to the game. I do already have a deck using a Charizard GX and Volcanions but now it isn't standard and this is more of a feeling people out and seeing what direction I would want to go for standard. Not really a beginner type conversation but more of an expansion of my understanding. I have been very partial to the fire as of late and want to do something else.

Not to sound to rude but if you were using a deck with volcanion and charizard GX you are a beginner

I would get a play set of Zoroark GX

Very versatile card so there’s a ton of decks you can make it, and since it always works with a partner it didn’t really loose anything from rotation

And it’s also great in expanded

Hey! I'm not too much of a Standard player (I very much prefer Expanded), but I'll give this a shot. The thing with playing in standard is that if you want to play a good, competitive deck, it gets kind of expensive. Is there anything you're interested in trying out, or that just interests you?

Actually my Charizard and Volcanians have done rediculously well. The only reason I want more opinions is because I dont know what else is really out there. Love the deck i have built but I really want to try something with Marshadow or maybe gardevoir or something similar.

5he big reason is the deck isn't standard anymore and I want an expanded and a standard deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, before we get into what Pokemon to get, let's first talk about the necessary Trainer cards. You're definitely going to need playsets of Cynthia, Lillie, Guzma, Ultra Ball, Choice Band, maybe Tate & Liza, Field Blower, and maybe Rare Candy. Cynthia, Tate & Liza, and Lillie because they're some of the best draw supporters in the Standard meta, Guzma because of the mobility and chase options it gives you, Field Blower because it'll be your main answer to Tool cards and most Stadiums, and Choice Band because +30 damage against almost everything is always nice.

As far as Pokemon are concerned, though, Zoroark is always a good place to start, although I wouldn't recommend it until the new Elm card comes out. Another of my personal favorites is Sylveon/Gardevoir since it has very strong search options and its attackers can hit for 110 reliably.

I have only been playing a short time and need a bit of help. I have already gotten a taste of the fight in a prerelease tournament for the latest set and want more! With that being said, I am in need of help in making a standard deck. Not really sure where to start so I am going to ask you fine folks!
An important question to ask oneself is WHY?
Why do I want a standard deck?
Obviously to be able to play Pokémon games in standard format but why do I want that?

Is it because I want to have fun with friends and they think it's fair that everybody play the same format?
Find a deck at the same strenght level where weakness doesn't ruin the fun.
I've had so much fun playing Salazzle/Infernape and Baby Metagross/Steven's Resolve in such environments.

Is it because I want to play League Challenges and League Cups without looking as a fool?
Play a consistent, high damage tier 1 deck. Preferrably a linerar one with few marginal desicions to make.
There ar several options. Maybe Rayquaza GX?

Is it because I want to develop my game, aiming for the long term success as a world class player?
Well... prepare to spend a lot of time and money, building and playing all of the top tier decks in order to learn the ins and outs of every one of them...
Spend the most time with versatility- and controldecks as they tend to challenge you the most and force you to grow as a player.

If you start by answering these type of questions, it'll be more clear what kind of deck you should go for
Good luck!

Last edited:
Actually my Charizard and Volcanians have done rediculously well. The only reason I want more opinions is because I dont know what else is really out there. Love the deck i have built but I really want to try something with Marshadow or maybe gardevoir or something similar.

If it does well at all, that's ridiculous. Think of how many people play this game. Think of how many love Charizard and try to make it work every time it gets a new card. If you're doing well locally, that says more about your level of competition than your own skill. Yes, it is possible you've discovered some rogue deck we all somehow missed, but it is a lot more likely you're a big fish in a small pond.

Which matters to the discussion because, until you're able to acknowledge this to yourself, it'll trip you up. I'm still too arrogant about my standing in this game, but I'm a lot better than I was. Admitting I wasn't this genius rogue deck building but acknowledging I had done well at a small, local League because it was a small, local League and some of the kids I'd been mentoring in the game were quickly surpassing me because I thought I knew more than I did was a hard lesson, but I'm a better player (and advice giver) now because of it.

You've been given solid advice about securing Trainer cards that will be used in most decks, and an example of a Pokémon (Zoroark-GX) likely to remain a key part of many decks.

Oh... and remember to fully identify cards. Though it is pretty obvious you're talking Gardevoir-GX (for example), I don't know if you want to mess with people's hands using the Marshadow from Shining Legends or take them on using Marshadow-GX. Why isn't it obvious? There really aren't "Marshadow" decks because neither of those cards are deck stars. They go into a deck built around something else. :)

I think if you liked volcanion and charizard gx.. a good competitive deck would probably be a malamar variant... load up an ultra necrozma or regular necrozma with energy and then one shot and recycle.

Well I did end up taking the charizard out and it worked out a lot better than when I had it in. Volcanians are a lot more versatile than i was using them for and using my areola to bring it back to the hand made for a solid deck use. Attack with the basic volcanian with the boost from the volcanian gx was amazing.

To break it down though...my big thing is this. I have a buddy who is building the Rayquaza GX deck and I want a way to beat it without building the same. I think that deck is going to be the deck to have in my opinion and I want something else to compete with.

To break it down though...my big thing is this. I have a buddy who is building the Rayquaza GX deck and I want a way to beat it without building the same. I think that deck is going to be the deck to have in my opinion and I want something else to compete with.
That made things a lot clearer. :)

I would go for a Buzzwole/Garbodor/Shrine of Punishment deck.
You get a good matchup without breaking the bank.

If he is conservative with his resources Shrine will tear down his Rayquazas and if he isn't - well... trashlanche...

That made things a lot clearer. :)

I would go for a Buzzwole/Garbodor/Shrine of Punishment deck.
You get a good matchup without breaking the bank.

If he is conservative with his resources Shrine will tear down his Rayquazas and if he isn't - well... trashlanche...
honchcrow spread can also work well as a budget 1 prize deck, and it can absolutely shred ability decks with wevile (such as rayquaza)

Back