Discussion Tier List for Standard

pine_ddog

Chaotic Neuteral
Ha Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX has bad machups, like what?? Volc?? When I played Volc I killed them and Greninja?? Easy. Use decidueye GX to attack and you can't lose.
Whatever Volcanion-EX players you were playing with must have been horrible then if they couldn't beat a Decidueye-GX. And notice I also mentioned inconsistent match-up's. Greninja BREAK if you go back to my previous match-up's was one under inconsistent due to the amount of bench sitters you have for sniping. Volcanion-EX is going to see a rise in play due to the expansion of Metal decks, so that match-up is going to get bigger and bigger. Buzzwole-GX and other fighting type decks are big losses due to their ability to OHKO Zoroark. So that's three of the biggest decks that have a positive match-up against Decidueye-GX. And even if we ignore all of that, Decidueye-GX/Zoroark-GX hasn't had any major tournament placings. The only one I could find was a 12 place finish inside in the EUIC in November, and a top 32 placement in December. Which would be major if that was recent, but that's from November. However that comfortably fits inside of Tier 2 as a deck that places outside of Top 8, which 12th place fits under.

SmiteKnight

Destroying half the universe one snap at a time
Ha Zoroark GX/Decidueye GX has bad machups, like what?? Volc?? When I played Volc I killed them and Greninja?? Easy. Use decidueye GX to attack and you can't lose.
Bad-matchups: Zoroark Lycanroc, Buzzroc, any other very aggro deck.

Calcab

Aspiring Trainer
Going beck to Zoroak GX/Decidueye GX, I think that it should be it's own deck instead of "Zoroark Variants," because it is a deck on its own and you should make all decks in Zoro or Garb Variants be listed as there own decks because they are not all at the same tier so yeah here's tiers for the Zoro and Garb Variants.

Zoroark/Decidueye, Tier 1.5

Zoroark/Golisopod, tier 1.5

Drampa/Garbodor, Tier 2

Zoroark GX/Ninetales GX, Tier 4 or 5

Espeon GX/Garbodor, Tier 3

Tell me what you think of this list of Zoro and Garb variants and can you please add these???
No way Zoroark/Ninetales is a tier 4 deck.
It's a terrific deck with so many routes to choose from and maybe that's why it see so less play, but it has high damage output, it's extremely consistent and very tank too.

pine_ddog

Chaotic Neuteral
No way Zoroark/Ninetales is a tier 4 deck.
It's a terrific deck with so many routes to choose from and maybe that's why it see so less play, but it has high damage output, it's extremely consistent and very tank too.

Metal and fighting are huge. I'd guess tier two or three.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
I've never been a big believer in numerical tiers in this game though, there's too many subtle variations in lists that can have huge impacts in how matchups play out. I'd just say that the Zoroark decks should be classed as meta-defining decks, Buzzwole decks as anti-meta decks, tier 2/3 decks like Bulu, Glaceon, Metagross, ect as competitive decks with varying degrees of viability depending on local meta trends, and 4 and below as decks as rogues decks. The defining trait of a rogue verses a competitive deck is that rogue decks have easily teched hard counters (ie Spinda verses Gyarados-AT) or unwinnable match-ups against common meta decks (ie Gyarados vs Decidueye last season) but can blaze through a meta that didn't prepare for them.

As far as Glaceon goes, I don't think it's all it's cracked up to be. It's not a terrible card, but it just doesn't feel like it consistently gets an advantage against Zoroark decks unless it gets to go first, and even then it's not always enough. In playing against them it feels like if they move first, they either donk you in the first 4 or so turns or play a long, grueling, ultimately losing game.

Wechselbalg

brb
I have to agree that Glaceon ended up being lacklustre - it's a really luck based deck. You have to go first, you need to start Eevee+water energy, you need at least a DCE+Choice Band in hand the next turn (and if your opponent happens to play E. hammer they can easily set you back) your opponent needs to have a really bad hand etc. in order to be able to apply any sort of real pressure to you opponent. And if you go second you will most likely lose to most meta decks. (The only exception is probably Volcanion.) It's true that Glaceon can also be played as a control deck, but it's a lot less effective at it than Sylveon since you can't just search any cards with Glaceon like with Magical Ribbon. Both are still weak to metal so if you want to go down that route then Sylveon is still a better choice imo. Neither of them are great at the moment though.

CheEmmanuel

Aspiring Trainer
Eveyone looks for biggest damage, high HP, quick set ups etc but the best deck I've ever had is Wishiwashi GX mill/energy denial. I'm currently on a 20game winning streak with it.
I put the challenge to anyone who thinks they can beat it, add me on PTCGO I'm CheEmmanuel prove me wrong

F4H_Jay

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
A buzzwole just came 2nd at Collinsville regionals, and keeps getting into the top 8. I would say its top tier.

Nyan

She/They
Placing decks in tiers is really, really hard. I have no opinions on what should be T1,2,3,4, etc. The metagame shifts very, very rapidly, and organizing all these decks for new ones to come out and make the others obsolete, and with decks getting new tools all the time, it's really a lost cause. With a lot of people, each with their own opinions with so, so, so many decks, it's chaotic to organize them all into a neat list. Is it possible? For older/aged metagames, yes. Look at older formats and the answers become obvious, you get to see all of the decks and how they did, and you can decide which of those are relevant, irrelevant, and top. Even then, everyone will still have their own opinion, but it's much more obvious then, than now

But nobody should stop y'all from trying! It's fun anyways, i'm just saying this to let people know, probably best to take this with a grain of salt. Metas change, adapt, and rejuvenate at times. Some decks, like Greninja, stay within a spotlight for a very long time, while others, such as many Trashalance Garb variants, can fall from glory they once had.

It'll be fun to see what you guys come up with, and how it changes over time!

Calcab

Aspiring Trainer
Tier 1 decks are Buzzwole/Lycanroc, Zoropod and Zororoc.
Tier 2 are Volcanion, Garbodor/Espeon/Drampa, Buzzwole/Garbodor and VikaBulu.
Tier 3 probably Greninja, Zoroark/Decidueye, Passimian/Mew and Gardevoir-GX.

as for Ultra Prism new archetypes and Zorogard, time will tell.

any other decks are far from being top tier, regardless of how strong they look, if they don't top tournaments quite often or don't show any relevance against current meta, they're not goot, but as Nyan said, the meta is shifting too fast right now for us to be sure of anything.

pine_ddog

Chaotic Neuteral
Lmao, I forgot to tell y'all this. But I changed the tier list a while back, and slashed the Tier 4, simply put it's unnecessary.

AFEX

Serena is too cute!
Oh, thanks for plugging my thread pine.

Glaceon GX needs to be at least Tier 2.

pine_ddog

Chaotic Neuteral
Oh, thanks for plugging my thread pine.

Glaceon GX needs to be at least Tier 2.
np. Glaceon-GX was moved down due to the amount of decks in tier two, and it had the most discussion and disagreement in the forum. But I've moved it up due to metal not being quite as strong as was expected.

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
I would Say either Buzz/Garb is Tier 1 or Buzz/Lycanroc is Teir 2. At a regionals I won against buzz/lycanroc 3 times and lost once (I bricked)

Sethy79

Aspiring Trainer
Eveyone looks for biggest damage, high HP, quick set ups etc but the best deck I've ever had is Wishiwashi GX mill/energy denial. I'm currently on a 20game winning streak with it.
I put the challenge to anyone who thinks they can beat it, add me on PTCGO I'm CheEmmanuel prove me wrong

Glad to see you've embraced the milk deck! They can be quite fun to play but I think the meta has shifted again. I expect that wishiwashi will struggle against the new meal options. Still it was a fun option while it worked.

sylvarina

Aspiring Trainer
Raichu/Pachirisu should be tier 3 imo, as it has actually got tournament results and potential. (31st place at Collinsville regionals)