Discussion This Format is nuts because of Lele

Buying 2-3 Lele is just a necessary evil in the current format, and yes it is very unforgiving for new players. I recommend if you are new to the game, don't buy booster boxes and use that money for Lele instead. Otherwise, the main option you have is to play Greninja, but even that deck has evolved to run 1 Lele for consistency (as it is known to brick so much), as seen in the 2nd place Hartford list.

Just wanted to point out you're currently playing Destiny 2, so am I <3.

In the group I'm in, none of us have lele, my friend bought like 3 boxes, no lele (yes they were GRI boxes) We have all given up on getting some, we are also super poor in cash, lol.
If you are all really poor on cash, why did you buy three boxes??? you could by 4 lele with what it costs to buy 3 boxes

The format is not nuts because of Lele. I get it, most of us are on a budget, but strategy-wise, Lele is a legitimate help for any kind of deck. And no, Octillery isn't that much of a help or substitute. If you want a tournament-level deck, GET DA CARDZ

Exactly. People act like $60 is ridiculous but have no problem dropping that money on Elite Trainer Boxes and single packs.

I will get some flack for this, and I know this is not /r/personalfinance

Or just don't buy coffee / McDonald/fast food / go to the movies for a month and boom... you will save enough for 1-2 Lele in just one short month. If you are on the younger side, cut grass, walk your neighbor's dogs, make a deal with your parents ($10-20 per A on your report card, up'd on your choirs, renegotiate for a higher allowance, or add incentives etc) Hustle and monetize your skills is a great trait to develop... Unless you are under these circumstances: have a family, have significant debt, live under a bridge, and combination of no car/job + live middle of nowhere. There are ways to hustle and make some side cash. I was a broke college student and kid once, but I work really hard to earn some extra cash for my interests.

But still, Pokemon is a relevantly cheap hobby and TCG.

/old man rant.

EDIT: And yes, virtually every competitive thing will require some "spending some cash."

Or just don't buy coffee / McDonald/fast food / go to the movies for a month and boom... you will save enough for 1-2 Lele in just one short month. If you are on the younger side, cut grass, walk your neighbor's dogs, make a deal with your parents ($10-20 per A on your report card, up'd on your choirs, renegotiate for a higher allowance, or add incentives etc) Hustle and monetize your skills is a great trait to develop... Unless you are under these circumstances: have a family, have significant debt, live under a bridge, and combination of no car/job + live middle of nowhere. There are ways to hustle and make some side cash. I was a broke college student and kid once, but I work really hard to earn some extra cash for my interests.

/old man rant.

EDIT: And yes, virtually every competitive thing will require some "spending some cash."

There are always exceptions, but I agree with your argument for the most part. It's not always as easy as just saying, "Hey kid, simply stop doing this or that and save your money up," but my argument is that if you're complaining about the price of a (very worth it) card, yet are spending money on Pokémon TCG related things like Elite Trainer Boxes and packs, then I don't really understand your frustration when it comes to spending money on Tapu Lele. If you want to get into the competitive side of the game, you're right, every competitive thing will cost something.

There are always exceptions, but I agree with your argument for the most part. It's not always as easy as just saying, "Hey kid, simply stop doing this or that and save your money up," but my argument is that if you're complaining about the price of a (very worth it) card, yet are spending money on Pokémon TCG related things like Elite Trainer Boxes and packs, then I don't really understand your frustration when it comes to spending money on Tapu Lele. If you want to get into the competitive side of the game, you're right, every competitive thing will cost something.

Most people's issue, slightly including my own find it ludicrous to spend over 60 dollars for a SINGLE card, i wouldn't mind spending that money on say 2-3. I understand it makes a BIG difference in consistency of decks, but it's the retail value, market value, and individual value that seals it as a broken deal.

Most people's issue, slightly including my own find it ludicrous to spend over 60 dollars for a SINGLE card, i wouldn't mind spending that money on say 2-3. I understand it makes a BIG difference in consistency of decks, but it's the retail value, market value, and individual value that seals it as a broken deal.

Yeah, but that single card is worth more in competitive value than any other card. Once you have them you can use them in every deck. It's usefulness pays for itself.

I am probably a bit older than many players of the game but having just gotten into the competitive scene at the tail-end of Q1 last rotation, I understand the frustration people have with a single card being so expensive. When I had my butt handed to me repeatedly at my first regionals thinking I could run Octillery instead of Shaymin, I started to understand how seriously people took the term "competitive". It was a long while later (end of Q3 last rotation) when I finally sucked it up and bought two Shaymin. I can't remember how much I paid for them but I'm pretty sure it was around the price decline when everyone "knew" it was going to rotate (AWFUL time to buy a card that will become useless in Standard Format in a few weeks' time).

When Lele came out, I snapped up two copies immediately knowing the price would increase over time and it was going to be staple for competitive. This information was everywhere on Pokebeach and the highest caliber competitive players agreed. Long story short, I now have 3 Leles (will probably need a 4th) and I don't think twice about the INVESTMENT. Investment is a key word here. Lele goes into every single deck I build so in the future, I usually only need to spend about $50 or less to build new decks.

Like any hobby (golf for example) you're going to spend money. If you care about the hobby enough, you won't think twice about these expenses once they are made because they will vastly improve your experience and enjoyment with the overall hobby itself. Stop buying packs. Stop buying Elite Trainer Boxes. Stop buying Booster Boxes. Stop buying anything that doesn't get you to a 100% guarantee of getting the pieces you need to play the game at an ultra competitive level (if that is where you want to play).

I am a working adult with a family to support and I save anywhere between $10 - $40 every month to fund this hobby. It can be done - you just have to be patient and be smart about where your money goes. Do you really want to play with the very best? If you do, then buying singles is the absolute BEST way to go.

All the best to you and I hope this friendly advice helps you achieve your goals in the TCG!

EDIT: Also, if for some reason you find yourself being gifted (or buying) a booster box, save your bulk and trade it in! A lot of card shops will give you cash for those cards which you can put towards getting that Lele!

I am probably a bit older than many players of the game but having just gotten into the competitive scene at the tail-end of Q1 last rotation, I understand the frustration people have with a single card being so expensive. When I had my butt handed to me repeatedly at my first regionals thinking I could run Octillery instead of Shaymin, I started to understand how seriously people took the term "competitive". It was a long while later (end of Q3 last rotation) when I finally sucked it up and bought two Shaymin. I can't remember how much I paid for them but I'm pretty sure it was around the price decline when everyone "knew" it was going to rotate (AWFUL time to buy a card that will become useless in Standard Format in a few weeks' time).

When Lele came out, I snapped up two copies immediately knowing the price would increase over time and it was going to be staple for competitive. This information was everywhere on Pokebeach and the highest caliber competitive players agreed. Long story short, I now have 3 Leles (will probably need a 4th) and I don't think twice about the INVESTMENT. Investment is a key word here. Lele goes into every single deck I build so in the future, I usually only need to spend about $50 or less to build new decks.

Like any hobby (golf for example) you're going to spend money. If you care about the hobby enough, you won't think twice about these expenses once they are made because they will vastly improve your experience and enjoyment with the overall hobby itself. Stop buying packs. Stop buying Elite Trainer Boxes. Stop buying Booster Boxes. Stop buying anything that doesn't get you to a 100% guarantee of getting the pieces you need to play the game at an ultra competitive level (if that is where you want to play).

I am a working adult with a family to support and I save anywhere between $10 - $40 every month to fund this hobby. It can be done - you just have to be patient and be smart about where your money goes. Do you really want to play with the very best? If you do, then buying singles is the absolute BEST way to go.

All the best to you and I hope this friendly advice helps you achieve your goals in the TCG!

EDIT: Also, if for some reason you find yourself being gifted (or buying) a booster box, save your bulk and trade it in! A lot of card shops will give you cash for those cards which you can put towards getting that Lele!
I agree with you... i think that the reason people keep buying packs is that they are so fun to open. A while ago i was buying ETB's and single packs, but now i am almost done with my Competitive deck, i just need one more lele. AND PEOPLE, IF YOU LIKE OPENING PACKS... IF YOU PLACE WELL THEY WILL GIVE YOU BOOSTER BOXES!
i placed top 64 and got half a box. you will eventually get that pack opening itch out if you place well at regionals/ nationals/ internationals.

Just adding here that Lele regular art cards seem to be slipping to about $35-$40 on ebay. What's weird is that no one seems to be selling light-moderate play condition cards which would be just fine for competitive play if not better since you wouldn't care as much about them when riffle shuffling.

Personally though, I think tournaments should allow proxies for play if you can show you own the cards. Maybe check them in to the organizer for return after the tournament so people don't just keep showing the same cards over and over again. This would also make it easier for folks to loan cards since they know the cards wouldn't get riffled to death.

P.S. Sorry for the Necromancy, but this seems like a topic that will be relevant as long as we've got some expensive chase card to worry about.

Great thread...this is my first post, and something I experiencing currently. The multiplication effect in my life, is that both me and my son have just started getting into the game. So I am looking at having to build a deck/decks for both of us...which means costs x 2. I would agree, it would be much easier for newer players to jump in quickly if there was not a $150-200 price tag on creating a deck that could compete at top levels. My son is only 7, so that is easy to decide that his decks won't be filled with lele's, but I'm probably going to bite the bullet and try and pick up 2. I will say that the advice in here is helpful...of not buying packs, boxes and all the side stuff, and instead just focus on building your competitive deck.

You should get a couple of theme decks too. They play slower and help solidify the general mechanics of the game better. If for no other reason, you can see how a bad deck plays. You'll then start to get a sense for what the issues are and then how to correct them. Through that, the more competitive decks will make more sense.

Another option is the World Championship decks. And you get some Leles you can use as nice looking proxies until you can get the real cards. There nothing like growth through adversity though IMHO.

Last edited:
We started with the Sun & Moon trainer set that comes with two 30 card decks...that lasted about a day, then we got the Battle Arena Deck box with Kaldeo and Rayquaza. We are currently playing with that. Playing online has helped answer some of the questions we have had, so that has been helpful. We are going to our local shop this weekend for the first time for a PTCG meetup.

volc/turt doesn't necessarily need lele, it helps but it can get its way out of a tough situation without lele (by using oranguru)

/old man rant.

You are my new hero. XD Anyway, I picked up a Lele on Ebay for FIVE DOLLARS. I don't know what the heck the seller was thinking, but great deals like this are an easy way to get good cards. Also, there are decks that are so consistent they don't need Lele, I'm thinking of Greninja and Volcanion here, but there are rogue decks that don't need it either, namely Raichu/Heatmor and Exeggutor/Venusaur/Leafeon. In general, my one Lele has been enough if I share it between my decks and make smart plays.

You are my new hero. XD Anyway, I picked up a Lele on Ebay for FIVE DOLLARS. I don't know what the heck the seller was thinking, but great deals like this are an easy way to get good cards. Also, there are decks that are so consistent they don't need Lele, I'm thinking of Greninja and Volcanion here, but there are rogue decks that don't need it either, namely Raichu/Heatmor and Exeggutor/Venusaur/Leafeon. In general, my one Lele has been enough if I share it between my decks and make smart plays.
Are you sure it isn't a World Championships Lele?

Yeah, Lele and to a lesser extent Zoroark are the epitome of Complacent Gaming Syndrome. The only reason I have three Leles is because one of them was a booster pull after I bought the other two for eighty bucks combined. Eighty.

Economics, how does it work mang?

Back