Things That You Learned in School That Are Useless to You

Dracos

Praise thee o lord, Goomy.
There's always those things in school that you just think to your self " but how will this help me in life?".
This thread is dedicated to those moments.

Right now in science we are learning about how flowers reproduce... I have no interest in pursuing a courier in flower's or just going outside in general.

I have to take the PSAT today, so you'll get a bunch from me later.

In 6th grade English I was taught about different elements of analyzing a story or something and one of them was synthesis. I had to write a whole essay about synthesis and it was one of the most stressful assignments I ever did. I still have no idea what the heck synthesis is.

In my experience, the most useless things I learned in school were math related. Theey definitely have uses, don't get me wrong, but other than the basics, plus knowing how to calculate sales tax, I've used nothing from any of my math classes. The university I chose was chosen because it didn't need a math credit.

Hoo boy, there's a lot of things:

-Nearly everything in English class aside from grammar, spelling, and vocab. A lot of my English classes have focused on literature, which is useless to pretty much every career and IMO isn't being taught correctly. I've learned more about literature from 3 years of browsing TV Tropes than 12 years of traditional education, and that's pretty sad. Oh, and no one ever taught me writing very well until my freshman year of college.
-Gym. I get that exercise is important, but again, they seem to be teaching the wrong thing. I learned virtually nothing about proper exercise in gym class, instead they're just teaching people how to play sports. And while sports can be fun and all, do we really want to be forcing people to play them when they're not particularly useful in work or everyday life. They're an extracurricular activity, it's great to get involved in them if you're interested but if you're not, there's no real benefit.
-Anything in biology that isn't common sense or health related. Pretty much everything about cells, taxonomy of animals, interesting stuff, but not particularly useful unless you work in health or zoology.
-Moles (from Chemistry class). Not a good sign when you completely forget what they even are.

Contrary to most people, I actually found most of math to be pretty useful (except maybe Calculus). But that's probably more because I work more in tech and office related careers. I suppose if I was in a completely different career field though (maybe something not science or tech related), I'd feel the same though. Science and tech generally requires good math skills. That's pretty much the underlying theme here, a lot of things I've learned are better saved for students specializing in those fields, not for general education.

nothing

everything you learn in school is useful in some way, however minute it may seem

i guess when the technical subjects got waaayyy too deep, like i've been able to manage fine with academics and crap (helps that my parents were both engineers and were really helpful with learning cool shortcuts) but these days being able to calculate for valences hasn't become handy at work... yet

I think the whole education system needs reform. Things we should be teaching we aren't and the things we teach don't benefit anything later in life.

Right now in Biology we are learning about Photosynthesis for the millionth time. I think most things you learn in school are important, but I hate it when you learn something again and don't learn anything new about it. It just gets boring. And also useless.

Back