The Yu-Gi-Oh Thread

I've picked the habit of trolling on DN with a crazy Exodia deck that uses Gift Card and Hope for Escape... It can be really cool for some, or reason to ragequit for others.

>mfw the top four at nats were HATE variants (Fire Fist engine added makes for additional pluses)
>-.-

Nats was a great experience. I used a Reckless Mermail variant, but I played Lightsworn after Lightsworn early on. Things were pretty sacky, and then I lost three game threes in a row because my opponents opened with D-Fissure to which I didn't draw any outs... Dropped before Day 1 concluded because I knew I was out of contention at that point. The deck performed very well for me, but crap happens. At least the prizes, sleeves and mats are sweet.

I hear Hoban went with Sylvan to top sixteen, which was surprising. Also, it's laughable that Geargia have no nats wins around the world and are still somehow called the best deck. Even Bujin are better at that (Germany and somewhere in South America).

Lightsworn is a deck I want to build just to give it a try, but it still has early game trouble without Kuri or Lumina+Raiden or spells. Also, Needlebug Nests are eight apiece now, so researching for other trap lineups might be necessary. Lastly, I've learned that Sylvan takes a dump on LSR as presented by Slashtap and Hoban, so it might not be the best locals choice anyways.

This is as complete a list of the top 64 decks as I can find (second from top post). Be warned, language.

Lightsworn are gonna be everywhere now that they're so easy to get ahold of and they're just so strong.

I'm actually going back to playing Chaos with my own twist and playing three Veiler and three Plaguespreader with some other neat techs and so far the result is pretty good. I'm obviously susceptible to Fossil Dyna (but...who plays that?) and Macro and Banisher, but at Locals it wouldn't seem to be an issue because it's saturated with Geargia and meta decks. I may follow through with all this testing and buy the cards for it (curse that expensive Extra Deck...) because it's really fun and can win very quickly, especially with the new rules and going second and stuff.

Meh, I thought about purchasing the cards for my own Dark deck, but, even without the Extra, and since I haven't played in a long time (and I'm lacking some cards I would normally have), the cost goes to over 100$, and at 200+$ (without adding Goyo, Exciton, and Honor ARK).
Damn this game...

If you need a Dark deck, build Nimbletricks. Their ability to shut down your oppenents field by t7 is unparallelled. Basically give them Nimble Sunfish, or Set it, then wreck them by having it be attacked. Put Nimble Angler in the Graveyard. This puts out another Nimble Sunfish and two Nimble monsters (I usually use Manta and Momonga). Then, using the Level 2 engine you just made, Normal Summon a Lvl 2 on your next turn, then Special Summon two Ghosttrick Succubus. Detach Manta to Special Summon two more Nimbles, then Special your last Succubus.
Greatest part about this is it's really a really cheap deck (the most expensive card was probably no more than $2 or so). You'll probably end up dishing out about $80 - $90.
If you want the decklist Jackal, I'll send you my current decklist over Skype. I run a modified version of it, so I don't want to netdeck it since it's more personal to me.

I remember when I used to use a DARK deck around 2011 when Return from the Different Dimension wasn't forbidden. It was a deck focused on "removing from play" the DARK monsters, then quickly getting them all back and spamming tactics to quickly do stuff. I called it 3DS (Dark Different Dimension Synchro). Good times...

Also.

Zaborg the Mega Monarch
Level 8/LIGHT/Thunder/Effect
2800 ATK/1000 DEF
You can Tribute Summon this card by Tributing 1 Tribute Summoned monster. When this card is Tribute Summoned: Target 1 monster on the field; destroy that target, and if it was a LIGHT monster, each player sends a number of cards from from their Extra Deck to the Graveyard equal to the destroyed monster's original Level or Rank. If this card was Tribute Summoned by Tributing a LIGHT monster, add this additional effect.
● You choose the cards to be sent to the Graveyard from your opponent's Extra Deck.
You want to use your Extra Deck? That's cute. Just let me destroy your Extra Deck while fueling mine with Miracle Synchro Fusion materials.

Zaborg sounds like too much trouble to use reliably. The effect is cute and somewhat crippling to decks that rely on Xyz monsters, but there's a reason these are seldom used. It also requires that you use Zaborg the Thunder Monarch or something similar, have your opponent run Lightsworn, or have Zaborg destroy itself, and let's face it that you can't rely on having any one of those things happen (especially the last one, such a waste).

@Bill: I know the feel. It took me forever to build Dragon Rulers because of how expensive crap was (ended up having to pull all of the Dracossacks and Big Eyes).

soooooo...any overall thoughts on Next Challengers?
I'm satisfied with it because it's got cute stuff. Not too happy that it's clear that Shaddolls are going to get EVEN BETTER after this set. Also contemplating how to reliably splash in 3 Cyber Dragon Core into side decks to counter Qliphoths.

Serperior said:
YES. Emeral and Alucard to be reprinted. No longer have to drop tens of dollars for these. :3

Battle Pack 3. I think most people would rather have Lavalval Chain instead of Emeral, but nobody's complaining. Hope we get more xyzs worth anything in this set.

Also, so many bad Qliphoth players... vomit all of their hand out, and they play multiple Killer... Never search out a Tool with Tool, play the grind game you idiots.

Qliphoth...already trying to find how to shut down that deck.

Secret Village of the Spellcasters might be making a show from this guy, ladies and gents.

Cyber Dragon Core. Searches the card that searches for Eltanin AND can be used to get rid of their Killers to make Chimeratech Fortress. If Killer makes you send the Core in your Hand to the Graveyard, you can banish it to get out another, then make Chimeratech. I'm testing a little deck-thinning engine right now, actually.

3x Cyber Dragon Core
1x Cyber Eltanin
1x Cyber Repair Plant

I haven't been able to duel too much Qliphort with the Cybers, but I certainly found some success when I did.

Serperior said:
Running Spell Counters again. Wow, forgot how fun this was. :3
I forgot they existed. Were these ever truly competitive before (I was out of the game at the time of Spellcaster's Judgment)? Endymion and Defender are annoying little buggers with the right setup.

Also, what do you guys think about Sylvans right now? They seem like an exaggerated version of Mermails: huge plays and autowin hands with access to floodgates, but they suffer more if their plays are stopped (kill Sylvania). I can't decide if I want to main these over minimails.

@don()shinobi: That's a nice little idea there, props :)

I have no idea. I just like Arcanite. Lol.

From my experiences with Sylvans, they're still very prevalent. Thankfully, because I run anti-meta, I have had no problems with it, but it can be a very nasty deck with all the support it has. I would personally run these over Mermails at this point because of how explosive they can be early game (and without the reliance on Abyss Sphere/any Trap card really...run Decree) and make big XYZ monsters to take control. Charity is dumb too.

Serperior said:
From my experiences with Sylvans, they're still very prevalent. Thankfully, because I run anti-meta, I have had no problems with it, but it can be a very nasty deck with all the support it has. I would personally run these over Mermails at this point because of how explosive they can be early game (and without the reliance on Abyss Sphere/any Trap card really...run Decree) and make big XYZ monsters to take control. Charity is dumb too.

They are very good with a decent hand, and you're right on the majority of this paragraph. They are frighteningly explosive (four round locals, opened G1 Felgrand three times and Felgrand + Orea another time) and can make crazy fields when Soul Charge factors in. The problems I encountered with it this Saturday are easily:
Bricking hands full of trees (lol)
Not drawing Sylvania/Charity = gg
Sylvans in hand clog like no other
Don't Soul Charge like a derp in G3 (lost R4 in time because of this)
Know when to stack when you are siding in Maxx "C"

It's a consistent and unfair deck, but it gets insanely brick hands if you draw Sylvans with no outlets for them. Also, drawing Lonefire T1, let alone the combo, is a blessing; don't expect a Lonefire and be disappointed if you don't have it.

Personally, if it didn't brick so hard, I'd easily run this over Mermail.

Yeah sometimes you get that clog factor and it sucks. And that's when I laugh and honestly win. I opened game two at locals with a Beast King, Skill Drain, D-Fissure, and some other nice backrow T1 and he scooped immediately when he had nothing. Like, literally nothing but Hermitree and Sagequoia and a random Trap. It was awful. For him. (;

Serperior said:
Lightsworn are gonna be everywhere now that they're so easy to get ahold of and they're just so strong.

I'm actually going back to playing Chaos with my own twist and playing three Veiler and three Plaguespreader with some other neat techs and so far the result is pretty good. I'm obviously susceptible to Fossil Dyna (but...who plays that?) and Macro and Banisher, but at Locals it wouldn't seem to be an issue because it's saturated with Geargia and meta decks. I may follow through with all this testing and buy the cards for it (curse that expensive Extra Deck...) because it's really fun and can win very quickly, especially with the new rules and going second and stuff.

Wow, lightsworns are still good? I remember being the only one out of like 8 Yugioh players at my high school who ran a LS deck, I think back in 2010-2011 (I started using them right when they were introduced in the Light of Destruction set). They're fun to use, at least when not decking out, lol. I feel like building up my Ligtsworn deck again, but unfortunately I sold a few of the staples from that deck, including a Judgment dragon which I pulled :/

Back