Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

FawfulGengar

Earthbound/Mother Maniac
RE: The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Yeah, go Triumphant all the way! I've gotten a lot of great primes from that set, including 2 Gengar prime!

FawfulGengar

Earthbound/Mother Maniac

Also, I might save up for a booster box, which should I get? Budget is probably between $100-$120. Also, where to buy from.

fates whimsy

Back In The Game

FawfulGengar said:
Also, I might save up for a booster box, which should I get? Budget is probably between $100-$120. Also, where to buy from.

Personally, I'm waiting out for B/W in April. That and my income tax check to buy a few booster boxes...

Price Range: $100
What are you thinking of buying?: Booster Box
Options: I've already preordered my B/W booster. But I need to get back into collecting and building decks. I have the majority of the D/P & Platinum sets, but I'm really in need of HS stuff. What to do, what to do?

.::n00bmuffin::.

I want to change my username.

fates: Buy HGSS or TR; those are probably the best HGSS sets. Maybe you could buy some CoL; they reprinted some good HGSS cards in there. Plus the shinies and holo energies go for a fair amount.

Afro-G

League of Legends: GabTheLacMan

@fates whimsy: I would say your best choice for booster boxes are HeartGold SoulSilver Base Set or HS Triumphant. Both sets have very good cards in them like good staple Trainers and Supporters for decks, and also some pretty good and valuable Primes and Legends.
My personal choice would probably be HS Triumphant.:)

fates whimsy

Back In The Game

@.::n00bmuffin::. & @Afro-G - Thanks, thanks! I think I'm going to get a booster of HS Base set and TR (That's Triumphant I'm assuming?)

FawfulGengar

Earthbound/Mother Maniac

@ Fates whimsy: yes, that's triumphant

So I'm wondering, should I get a HGSS box or Triumphant box? I will be saving about $20 a week until then, starting this coming monday. I might be able to do extra chores if I need to churn out a bit more. Anyway, I'll think all this over a bit, wait for some replies, and come back soon.
So, basically, what are the pros and cons to each set?

EDIT:probably not going with B/W, because we don't know which cards are getting cut...

Zora

I'm BACK!

Price Range: $80-$100
What you are thinking of buying: Booster box
Any options to choose from and why (Optional): I already bought HGSS and HGSS: Unleashed when they came out (Booster box), but I haven't played the TCG since then. I'm getting back into it and I need to know where to start. I've read that CoL is useless to buy and TR is good. Any suggestions?

Kittymew

Aspiring Trainer

If you want to buy a money box right now, HGSS or TR are the way to go; HGSS is just FULL of uncommons that will probably pay your box off on their own, depending what you pull and what your local situation is. Up here collectors are nuts; northern california DCEs were 20 bucks for a while. Between the two of those and the communications, PONTs, and hopefully a Donphan Prime, that'll pay off. Don't forget the Ninetales or Jumpluff in the rare slots either; altogether I personally say HGSS is the best money set since Rising Rivals, and the dealers agree - you'll often pay an extra markup on these boxes.

Triumphant has Seeker, Rescue, and Junk Arm which are always in some demand, and I don't think any prime in the set is below 6 bucks, with Gengar, Yanmega, Machamp, and Mew Prime all being decent money. Magnezone might go up too, depending what gets played in the near future.

FawfulGengar

Earthbound/Mother Maniac

So, where do I get a HGSS box? Couldn't find one on the card kid...

cataha

:-)

There's a lot more places than The Card Kid, which I don't prefer anyway. Troll and Toad is a great site that carries almost anything. They're sure to have a box or two of HGSS.

FawfulGengar

Earthbound/Mother Maniac

Alright, I'm thinking I can get a box of any of the following from a local store:
-HGGS for money cards.
-Triumphant for primes
-Stormfront for, IDK, LvX's or something?
-Unleashed for nice primes and stuff like rare candy.

Which is best?

ogeray

Aspiring Trainer

with the prices the way they are, you'd best be buying cards individually now.
boxes typically cost $90 and youll only get 5 primes and 3 legends on average.
as for other money cards, theres no guarantee on how many of each you get in a box.
so unless your going for collection
buying singles would save you money

CatreBird

N

Is it cheaper to buy 5 - 30 packs at a time (BULK SALES)
or should I get blisters (PROMO CARDS)

CatreBird

N

im considering the PROMOs in BLISTERS but Im also considering the price and chances of pulling a valued or needed card. Really I don't look to the PROMOs but they are worth a LOT still

DeepSleepDarkrai

Aspiring Trainer

Price Range:about $200
What you are thinking of buying: Booster Boxes
Any options to choose from and why: one of the boxes is going to be B&W once it comes out but for the other I want a HGSS-on box and the reason is to get the TSS.