Help The "What Should I Buy?" Thread

Effectively Legendary Treasures is reprinted artwork for many past BW cards, so if you want to collect the reprints (and large quantity of EXs) then you could go with that. FF will likely be the most expensive set out of those three in the future due to featuring 4 Charizards, so if you plan on ever selling, try completing FF. PRC is just a nice set overall, with heaps of cards. PRC is the largest of the three, while FF is the smallest.

bbninjas said:
Effectively Legendary Treasures is reprinted artwork for many past BW cards, so if you want to collect the reprints (and large quantity of EXs) then you could go with that. FF will likely be the most expensive set out of those three in the future due to featuring 4 Charizards, so if you plan on ever selling, try completing FF. PRC is just a nice set overall, with heaps of cards. PRC is the largest of the three, while FF is the smallest.
They all have different, but awesome qualities xD this is going to be a hard decision...unless i save up longer and buy all 3 at once haha.

Hi everyone,

I really like the delta species Pokemon, as it's just cool seeing the different types. Because of this I want to collect a set with them in it, I was wondering what set is the easiest to source (as the cards are a bit old now) and cheapest.

Hey! I just bought Pokémon card for the first time. Two decks, the Resilient Life deck for myself, and the Destruction Rush deck for my brother. I've played a couple of games with him, and I really enjoyed it, so I've decided to get into the world of the Pokémon TCG! I want to have a deck based around the water types and some other type.

My question is this: what should I do to get started? What decks/packs should I buy to get water-type Pokémon? Which are the best water-type Pokémon, and which types go best with water?

Hey, welcome to the world of the Pokémon TCG! :)

If you're actually looking to play competitively and compete in tournaments and the like, I would suggest you look through some of the threads here and maybe make a thread of your own. Competitive Pokémon is quite a bit different from casual, and there's some specific advice that would be useful to you for building viable competitive decks. Other threads here and here might also be useful to you. There are some popular Water-type Pokémon available in some current decks, though it's more about which specific Pokémon go with what than simply matching types together.

If you're just looking to play casually with friends or whatever, though, I would suggest the newest set, Primal Clash. Since it's based on ORAS, it's got a good amount of Water-type Pokémon.

Hey, so i have a question about profiting on Pokemon cards
With a 50$ budget i want to profit a little bit on cards as well as collect nice exes
and As a good amount of us know, profiting off ENGLISH booster boxes is VERY hard to do unless you get very lucky.
my question is what does the japanese booster boxes look like in terms of pull rates and bang for buck? and does it compete or trump english box pull rates?
and is it worth for example buying 2 boxes open them for exes/holos/bulk and then selling them online?
i know that the pullrate for exes in Bandit ring for example is ~4EXES per box if that helps

You might want to take a look at this thread for more information on Japanese booster box pull rates. The last couple pages are primarily talking about Bandit Ring.

Japanese pull rates are much less swingy than English sets. Generally speaking, it's easier to pull Rs/RRs, but less common to pull SRs/URs, though the SR/UR ratio for Bandit Ring seems to have increased significantly. In terms of profit, just like in English sets, popular Pokémon and competitively useful cards are typically worth more.

Buying Japanese booster boxes for profit is still a gamble, though. You could easily be that (apparent) 1/10 chance of no UR/SR and end up at a loss, or you could pull a Shiny Rayquaza FA that's worth about US$50 on Ebay right now and recoup the cost of both boxes with a single card.

If you do want to buy Japanese booster boxes for profit, though, Bandit Ring is a good set to pick. It's new and fresh with a lot of popular cards and very good pull rates. AmiAmi is even still in stock so you can get a good price on boxes, too.

Hey Pokebeach
I used to play the TCG when I was young but then stopped at age 13, I am trying to get money for an elite trainer box. I know about the new break cards but what elite trainer box and theme decks (for good trainer cards) would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Looking for a starter product to buy.

Me and a friend want to play a bit to see if we enjoy it, we're both hyper competitive types with magic experience, in the long-run price isn't a factor if we jump in (i have legacy decks over $3k+), what's a cheap and easy way to resemble what the end game looks and feels like?

Was thinking mewtwo vs darkrai arena decks?

Hey Pokebeach
I used to play the TCG when I was young but then stopped at age 13, I am trying to get money for an elite trainer box. I know about the new break cards but what elite trainer box and theme decks (for good trainer cards) would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!
BREAKThrough packs as they contain highly competitive Pokemon like Zoroark and Gallade, while BREAKPoint more features good Trainers such as Bursting Balloon, Puzzle of Time and Max Elixir. Unfortunately the theme decks are really average, although Greninja BREAK variants are decent so you could obtain that deck.

Looking for a starter product to buy.

Me and a friend want to play a bit to see if we enjoy it, we're both hyper competitive types with magic experience, in the long-run price isn't a factor if we jump in (i have legacy decks over $3k+), what's a cheap and easy way to resemble what the end game looks and feels like?

Was thinking mewtwo vs darkrai arena decks?

Mewtwo vs Darkrai Arena Decks would be my recommendation, as it does give you a decent competitive feel and provides you with some great staples.

What would you recommend me getting that is under $30 for people that want to play competitively

Ok so I am gonna buy a booster box soon, what would be the best set to buy one from besides flashfire and the break sets?

Ok so I am gonna buy a booster box soon, what would be the best set to buy one from besides flashfire and the break sets?
I often recommend the Phantom Forces box as it contains many cards that are staple in decks, as well as the highly competitive Night March archetype. However, there is a chance it will rotate this year, so it may not be your best buy. Roaring Skies does give you the option to obtain a Shaymin-EX, however this may be a little bit of a gamble considering there is no guarantee you'll actually pull one. Otherwise, I'd go for BREAKThrough since it contains multiple cards (i.e. Zoroark, Gallade) that have been major in the recent few months.

I often recommend the Phantom Forces box as it contains many cards that are staple in decks, as well as the highly competitive Night March archetype. However, there is a chance it will rotate this year, so it may not be your best buy. Roaring Skies does give you the option to obtain a Shaymin-EX, however this may be a little bit of a gamble considering there is no guarantee you'll actually pull one. Otherwise, I'd go for BREAKThrough since it contains multiple cards (i.e. Zoroark, Gallade) that have been major in the recent few months.
well i meant from a collectors standpoint because i dont play the tcg but i was thinking about that one because i love the artwork & if i wanted to play i had playable cards

well i meant from a collectors standpoint because i dont play the tcg but i was thinking about that one because i love the artwork & if i wanted to play i had playable cards
Ah okay; from a collector's perspective, I'd probably suggest Roaring Skies. It has the Rayquazas, which I believe are fairly popular Pokemon. Primal Clash could also be nice with the Primals. Ancient Origins have the golden Primals, which would be over collector value.

Ah okay; from a collector's perspective, I'd probably suggest Roaring Skies. It has the Rayquazas, which I believe are fairly popular Pokemon. Primal Clash could also be nice with the Primals. Ancient Origins have the golden Primals, which would be over collector value.
could you rate a list of xy boxes from best to worst by collecting & playability? I want the most out of my box because i probably wont get another for a while

could you rate a list of xy boxes from best to worst by collecting & playability? I want the most out of my box because i probably wont get another for a while

I'm not necessarily a collector, but let's see:

Competitively:
Phantom Forces
Roaring Skies
BREAKThrough
Furious Fists
BREAKPoint
XY
Primal Clash
Ancient Origins
Flashfire

Collecting:
Flashfire
Roaring Skies
Primal Clash
Ancient Origins
BREAKThrough/BREAKPoint
XY
Phantom Forces
Furious Fists

I recently boguht some singles and hope to arrive and managed to obtain a fa mega mewtwo vanishing strike for dirt cheap , it made me wonder, is it worth more inesting in singes as a collector? I practically buy boosters , tin, once bought a booster box, was not amused :/ , and blisters , with a spree of boosters that is eith er fun or just a horrible trauma of finding crap. I found out recently a tcg pal weighs pack s in stores, it makes it even worse to buy packs from stores knowing I'm having lower chance of getting exes or full arts , with all this, should I consider qutting buying anything with a risk of finding crap ?

As a collector, I have found "gold" in boosters , once a gold star, the shiny mega rayquaza and exes so I have had fun finding stuff, but I feel like i lost more than gained with the xy series personally :( Either constant rares , like 3 durants from flashire , and god, 7 drapions from ff , COME ON( i mean even different normal rares I would appreciate XS )

I'd assume it depends whether you're collecting sets or just individual cards. If you're collecting sets and have very little cards of that set, it's probably worth buying a booster box to obtain large quantities of cards while filling your collection. If you're only collecting singles, or the EXs from every set, then you could go for a booster box since you'll probably get like 5-ish EXs plus a bunch of potentially tradable cards, but otherwise singles is the best way to go - you'll probably end up spending less but get exactly what you want.

Hello PokeBeach!

My college friends invited me to play TCG with them, so I need some suggestions about what deck I should build. I saw in several places that the best option for beginners is a Double Starter Deck, but at the same time, I saw that they are not worth the investment. So... What do you guys suggest?

Back