Help The "What Deck Should I Play?" Thread

Randomguy1456

Aspiring Trainer
Hi,
I'm fairly new to PTCG and I am looking to build a M Gallade EX deck.
I am not sure where to start with building Pokemon decks
I don't really have a budget but I don't want to be spending $80+ of singles (Like Shaymin Ex).
Thanks

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
A pretty solid budget deck option is Fight Alone Lucario. I suggest you take a look at this article by Fokale that goes into the deck quite nicely. A few other cheaper options you may like to consider is Rainbow Road (list, article), Greninja BREAK and Vespiquen. Otherwise, you may like to look at the Deck Garage or PokéBeach's Metagame Deck lists for some deck ideas that you are interested in.

As for obtaining cards, Battle Arena Kits contain a large number of staple cards (VS Seeker, Sycamore, Ultra Ball, N, etc) in an easily accessible kit. I'd suggest looking into the most recent version, Keldeo-EX vs Rayquaza-EX, but the Darkrai-EX vs Mewtwo-EX kit is pretty good too. Keep in mind that these kits also contain cards only playable in Expanded, but a large number of the cards included are staple Standard cards.

GrampaB

Aspiring Trainer
Three of the HG&SS theme decks became available this week in the online TCG game. I've only played 3 months, and only in PTCGO, though I have played a LOT in these 3 months, over 2100 matches. Nearly all my experience so far, though, is with cards from the XY expansions, and some BW cards that are still popular. I'm hoping the much more experienced players here, can advise me as to the relative strength of these theme decks. I plan to purchase them all in time, with in game Trainer Tokens, but would like to get the strongest first.

EMBER SPARK uses Lightning, Fire, and Colorless pokemon. Its heaviest hitter is Typhlosion, which is on the deck box illustration.

GROWTH CLASH uses Grass, Fight, and Colorless pokemon. Its heaviest hitter is Meganium, which is on the deck box illustration.

MIND FLOOD uses Psychic and Water pokemon. Its heaviest hitter is Feraligatr, which is on the deck box illustration.

I've been thinking in recent weeks, that I should try to venture into Legacy competition in the near future. Getting these decks will be a big help, I think, to building a stock of cards I can draw from in making original Legacy decks down the road.

I hope it is okay for me to post this question here. I'm new to these forums, was drawn here when I googled the names of these decks and found a link to a speculative posting about what the decks would contain back when they were first announced. There weren't any primes in them, as some had rumored... :)

If there is a particularly good thread, or guide, discussing strong deck strategies for cards built from only HG&SS and B&W cards, which is what the online game defines as their version of Legacy format... a link to it, or them, would be a great help to me.

Also, let me know if I should post this in a different forum, I think I did notice one for the online game in particular. I'm tired, so maybe my decision to post here instead isn't the best choice. Let me know.

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
The Theme Decks earned from the Trainer Challenge, as well as those from the XY era tend to be the strongest, The game has "power creeped" since the days of HGSS, meaning most of the cards from that era aren't as strong as cards that have been released later. This is reflected in the Theme Decks. For example, the Gears of Fire deck from the most recent expansion, Steam Siege features Volcanion, which is a very powerful Basic Pokemon. That said, the HGSS decks are mostly for collecting purposes. If you're looking to do Theme Deck play, I would suggest the Hidden Depths deck, which can be unlocked through the Trainer Challenge, and features powerful Pokemon such as Articuno ROS with Delta Plus and Gyarados AOR.

However, if you're trying to amass cards for Legacy play, the Theme Decks may still contain some useful cards, particularly the Trainers. I'm not that familiar with Legacy, however Theme Decks really aren't viable in any format other than their own, simply because they contain so few Trainer Cards and far too many Energy and Pokemon.

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
Hi,
I'm fairly new to PTCG and I am looking to build a M Gallade EX deck.
I am not sure where to start with building Pokemon decks
I don't really have a budget but I don't want to be spending $80+ of singles (Like Shaymin Ex).
Thanks
If you were to go to the Deck Garage Forum, you could search for M Gallade EX deck examples by using the Search function within that Forum. After reviewing the examples you'll see, price the deck ignoring the Shaymin EXs (these can be replaced by other, cheaper card-draw support). The M Gallade EX deck is really not that expensive at all, IMO.

lt_tatter

donde esta la biblioteca?
Hello, I didn't know where else to ask but I am new to TCG. I just have some simple questions before going into a local tournaments and TCG gatherings.

I want to use a psychic deck but since the rotation gets older cards out of play does that include special energies too? Wanted to use mysterious energies, but those were in phantom forces so not legal in standard rules?

TheGuardian118

Aspiring Trainer
Hello, I didn't know where else to ask but I am new to TCG. I just have some simple questions before going into a local tournaments and TCG gatherings.

I want to use a psychic deck but since the rotation gets older cards out of play does that include special energies too? Wanted to use mysterious energies, but those were in phantom forces so not legal in standard rules?

You are correct, Mystery energy is not standard legal as of now. All cards, except for basic energy count for rotation purposes. If you have a deck already, post it in the deck garage section and we can recommend some changes to make it standard or just changes in general.

Rooie

Aspiring Trainer
What are some good Expanded decks right now? I kind of want to play Trevenant, but considering that like half the meta seems to be dark decks, it's not looking very promising.

Anthony Orosco

Aspiring Trainer
What are some good Expanded decks right now? I kind of want to play Trevenant, but considering that like half the meta seems to be dark decks, it's not looking very promising.
Trevenant is good, however I still believe that Night March/Archeops can be a fun deck.

Firemac2d

Aspiring Trainer
Brand new to card game play. My 7yo daughter wants to play. We want to start simple and learn to play together. What would be the best starter pack for us to start with? We would like a "kit" that will have enough cards for two players. Thanks for any advice in advance.

Gible06

Aspiring Trainer
There's is a starter kit that comes with two 30 card decks, they generally come out every few sets. You could probably find one at any big retail store (target, Walmart, etc).

compacta_d

Aspiring Trainer
Looking for an expanded deck to build, hopefully with Snorlax (maybe new GX one).

I bought two of the Keldeo v Rayquaza decks to start with.

Local meta is only just blooming, but preferred expanded. I know so far the Raikou deck and Yveltal I believe. Looking for something strong.

Bought Geomancy Xerneas' but that's a standard deck not expanded? Would be nice to play with Fairy types as I like them.

I more looking for strong expanded decks that play pokes I like. Familiar with magic 20 years, so most styles of play shouldn't be out of my skill level with time. Prefer fast combo decks in magic.

Like-fairy types, normal types, electric types, but hate the stupid eels. Rayquaza and Keldeo from starters seem cool, but definitely not tied to them in anyway.

Budget isn't really a problem either way. Hoping reprint of Skies drives Shaymin down anyway.

Truachilles

Aspiring Trainer
Hello new here.
I was wanting to get back into Pokemon TCG again and im not even sure where to start I do not have any cards at the moment but looking to start up and wanting to play in local Leagues if anyone would like to help please I will take any advise given thank you.

I don't really care for what is the best I would just like to play and keep up really. Not looking for the best deck but something to start with and fun ha ha. Any ideas honestly i have not clue as to what to do but I love Pokemon and want in the seen again.

Nyora

A Cat
Hello new here.
I was wanting to get back into Pokemon TCG again and im not even sure where to start I do not have any cards at the moment but looking to start up and wanting to play in local Leagues if anyone would like to help please I will take any advise given thank you.

I don't really care for what is the best I would just like to play and keep up really. Not looking for the best deck but something to start with and fun ha ha. Any ideas honestly i have not clue as to what to do but I love Pokemon and want in the seen again.
You might try checking the Deck Garage, there are plenty of fun decks there! :) Also, I recommend choosing your favorite Pokémon/Type and building a deck with them, and try to make it as good as you can.