Discussion The Question of Guzzlord GX’s Legitamate Competitive Viability

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Yes, the 4-56 version. This isn’t a joke. Think about it.

Pros:
Gets set up T2. Every single time.
Hits 180. Every single time.
Can take 4 Prizes in one turn if it doesn’t OHKO. Almost every single time.
Has 210 HP.

Cons:
Usually only gets a single Guzzlord up. Fixed by playing Pokémon Fan Club.
Gets wrecked by baby Hoopa. Fixed by Baby Guzzlord/Other 1-prize Pokémon.
Can’t consistently OHKO GX Pokémon.

Seriously. OHKO’s Ray, takes 4 on Zoro, OHKO’s Shrine. Has 210 HP. Gets set up turn 2. You can play 4 PFC without diluting the chances of getting 5 Dark Energy out of Eat Sloppily.

It’s actually really good.

4 Guzzlord GX, 2 Baby Guzzlord, 4 Pokémon Fan Club, 50 Dark Energy.
What do y’all think.

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
the build NEEDS Choice Band and Guzma. 180 doesn't OHKO a lot of GXs. Eat Sloppily is effectively +1 attack to what you need to knock out. so against Zoroark it takes effectively 3 attacks to KO while they only need 2 (or against decks like Ultra Necrozma will only need 1 attack)

Even with those cards the deck is still too gimmicky

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
the build NEEDS Choice Band and Guzma. 180 doesn't OHKO a lot of GXs. Eat Sloppily is effectively +1 attack to what you need to knock out. so against Zoroark it takes effectively 3 attacks to KO while they only need 2 (or against decks like Ultra Necrozma will only need 1 attack)

Even with those cards the deck is still too gimmicky
I see what you mean. Still, against Zoroark, it needs 5 attacks to win the game. If it doesn't OHKO, it takes 4 prizes.

pikachuuuu101

Custom Title
Guzzlord is viable, just not in ~50 energy guzz. I saw a deck at league that uses zoro to take 2 prizes, than beast rings 5 energy onto guzz, and uses GX attack with choice, kukui, and catcher, to deal 170, enough to take out a lele for game

TorchHG

Aspiring Trainer
I see where you’re going with this. Honestly, with people still figuring out deck construction, I feel you’d do alright against decks without proper engines. It’d be fun to bring this to a League Challenge or a League Cup. But this is probably the best metagame to do that spicy fun!

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
Guzzlord is viable, just not in ~50 energy guzz. I saw a deck at league that uses zoro to take 2 prizes, than beast rings 5 energy onto guzz, and uses GX attack with choice, kukui, and catcher, to deal 170, enough to take out a lele for game
I can totally see where you're going with this. I did actually try to play it once, but I found my Dark Energy numbers too inconsistent and ended up Eating twice. It sacrifices sheer speed for a more methodical, down and dirty let's blow people up with STYLE mindset. Sheer speed is a HUGE advantage, though. If you can OHKO Ray before it gets two Ray up, it dies. If you can take 4 Prizes on Zoroark, there's no going back. Shrine... Shrine becomes a problem, because even though they are all non-GX's, they can't be Glutton GX'd.

King Quagsire

Ruler of Route 212, Scourge of the swamp
Honestly, using nanu from a pokemon with energy like incineroar to use guzzlord's gx attack seems like the best play to m

XCITE

Aspiring Trainer
I can totally see where you're going with this. I did actually try to play it once, but I found my Dark Energy numbers too inconsistent and ended up Eating twice. It sacrifices sheer speed for a more methodical, down and dirty let's blow people up with STYLE mindset. Sheer speed is a HUGE advantage, though. If you can OHKO Ray before it gets two Ray up, it dies. If you can take 4 Prizes on Zoroark, there's no going back. Shrine... Shrine becomes a problem, because even though they are all non-GX's, they can't be Glutton GX'd.
don't use eat sloppily. use beast ring

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
actually, 3-57 is better because then you are absolutely guaranteed to hit the t1 3+sloppily eat because if you discard 3 guzz it wont work while if you discard 2 it will
That's not the problem the deck has. You can run only 48 dark energy and still have over a 90% chance of hitting 3+ dark energies. You do not NEED to guarantee it.

The problem is that the deck basically relies on the Guzzlord you open with to single handily win the entire game since you don't have a reliable way to get another one set up. An issue that your 3-57 makes WORSE.