Discussion The Shiny Hunting Thread

Finally caught my coveted Shiny Eevee. Took 4 or so days of me opening my 3DS on and off to continue the chain; I think it got to around 200 or even more! It's 4V and the other 2 IVs are near-perfect, with a Relaxed nature which while it could be better can be used for an Umbreon. So happy!

Unsure what I should chain next, probably something that doesn't use stat reducing moves...

Welp i missed a ton of stuff due to the email shenanigans, but oh whale atleast i've got a ton of shinies to post

I got all of these this week

Shiny Mareanie after 10 eggs: i was just IV breeding when suddenly red. its 4 ivs -speed and hp but hp is 25+ sassy

Shiny Bounsweet after 156 eggs: my first actual masuda method hunt. 5ivs-defence adamant

Shiny Misdreavus after 300 eggs: Misdreavus is my favorite johto pokemon and a shiny i wanted for years XD. 5iv-atk modest

Shiny Cutiefly after 22 eggs: My favorite bug type x3. got this on the same day as Misdreavus. 5ivs-atk timid

Shiny Litten after 360 eggs: This shiny is just too good not to hunt. 5iv-speed Adamant

currently at 84 eggs for a shiny Sandyghast, might do some old gen pokemon next i think. Maybe Eevee/Surskit

I was doing some EV training and while chaining I came across a Mudbray Relaxed Nature with Stamina as its ability. I was quite surprised because I wasn't even going for a shiny.

I was doing some EV training and while chaining I came across a Mudbray Relaxed Nature with Stamina as its ability. I was quite surprised because I wasn't even going for a shiny.
That's awesome!

I'm currently hunting Shiny Ribombee, hence the current avatar I have. I'm only about 200 SOS calls in, so it'll be awhile. My estimate is around 650 calls I claim one. Oh well, wish me luck (Im working on an English essay, editing a Spanish mini-film, and shiny hunting at the same time)!

These are the shinies I currently have:

-Shiny Minior (Random Encounter)
-Shiny Oricorio (Chained)
-Shiny Mimikyu (Chained)
-Shiny Lurantis (Chained)
-Shiny Alolan Ninetales (Chained)
-Shiny Gumshoos (Chained)
-Shiny Toxapex (GTS Giveaway)

I have broken my record of shinies in a generation to Generation VI's 6 shiny Pokémon I managed to catch. 7 down, but I plan to find many more. The bar for me is very, very high at this point.

EDIT: I'm also impressed with how little game time it took for me to actually get them:

GAME:
-Pokémon Y
-Pokémon Omega Ruby
-Pokemon Sun

TIME SPENT IN GAME:
-324:50 (Y)
-317:34 (Omega Ruby)
-133:18 (Sun)

All I can say is, gotta love SOS chaining! ❤️

Last edited:
Shiny Mareanie after 10 eggs: i was just IV breeding when suddenly red. its 4 ivs -speed and hp but hp is 25+ sassy

Shiny Bounsweet after 156 eggs: my first actual masuda method hunt. 5ivs-defence adamant

Shiny Misdreavus after 300 eggs: Misdreavus is my favorite johto pokemon and a shiny i wanted for years XD. 5iv-atk modest

Shiny Cutiefly after 22 eggs: My favorite bug type x3. got this on the same day as Misdreavus. 5ivs-atk timid

Shiny Litten after 360 eggs: This shiny is just too good not to hunt. 5iv-speed Adamant

Nice, Lucky on those natures also. You don't want a Timid Shiny Litten after 360 eggs ;)

That's awesome!

I'm currently hunting Shiny Ribombee, hence the current avatar I have. I'm only about 200 SOS calls in, so it'll be awhile. My estimate is around 650 calls I claim one. Oh well, wish me luck (Im working on an English essay, editing a Spanish mini-film, and shiny hunting at the same time)!

These are the shinies I currently have:

-Shiny Minior (Random Encounter)
-Shiny Oricorio (Chained)
-Shiny Mimikyu (Chained)
-Shiny Lurantis (Chained)
-Shiny Alolan Ninetales (Chained)
-Shiny Gumshoos (Chained)
-Shiny Toxapex (GTS Giveaway)

I have broken my record of shinies in a generation to Generation VI's 6 shiny Pokémon I managed to catch. 7 down, but I plan to find many more. The bar for me is very, very high at this point.

EDIT: I'm also impressed with how little game time it took for me to actually get them:

GAME:
-Pokémon Y
-Pokémon Omega Ruby
-Pokemon Sun

TIME SPENT IN GAME:
-324:50 (Y)
-317:34 (Omega Ruby)
-133:18 (Sun)

All I can say is, gotta love SOS chaining! ❤️

Good luck! as a proud owner of a shiny Ribombee i can say its worth it

My gen 7 shinies have been really fast as well. i'm still far from on par with my AS, which has 50+ self caught shinies

Nice, Lucky on those natures also. You don't want a Timid Shiny Litten after 360 eggs ;)

I breed my shinies using the Masuda Method. so i use an everstone to pass the nature i want :p

Speaking of breeding. Got Sandyghast today after 117 eggs. Bold with 31/31/31/25/31/31 ivs no nickname yet

Next hunt: beast ball lapras! x3

I breed my shinies using the Masuda Method. so i use an everstone to pass the nature i want :p

Haha alright, learned something new then! Thought that method was only about increasing chances of Shiny's but that's really handy!

Pfft, my next project was supposed to be a Mantyke/Mantine. They finally gave it some love this gen with the HP buff/Roost, but then they don't include it in the game? Bummer! Sharpedo it is then.. Love deep sea creatures!

Haha alright, learned something new then! Thought that method was only about increasing chances of Shiny's but that's really handy!

Pfft, my next project was supposed to be a Mantyke/Mantine. They finally gave it some love this gen with the HP buff/Roost, but then they don't include it in the game? Bummer! Sharpedo it is then.. Love deep sea creatures!

Mantine's not in the game? well the more you know i guess XD

Good luck with the shiny Carvanha/Sharpedo :3

I got a random encounter shiny last night. A Pelipper. I was a little upset since I had already got two shiny Pelipper back in OR/AS. But, I caught it.

Naive Nature with Drizzle; also came holding a Pretty Wing.

I've been hunting the house down, and while doing so, managed to encounter (and catch) Alolan Meowth, Grubbin, Munchlax and Alolan Vulpix! I'd recommend getting the Shiny Charm, it really does wonders :D

I have now claimed my 5 IV shiny Ribombee. A level 33 female I caught in Ula'ula Meadow. I was 427 into the chain when it was called. It's beautiful, and I love the red pink coloration! Will definitely use this, since in terms of IVs this thing is across the board stronger than my playthrough Ribombee.

Welp, 8 shinies in the collection now. Shiny hunting is so easy this generation!

EDIT: Next up, shiny Sandygast, and shiny Morelull!

Last edited:
I got my Lapras in 16 eggs

its in a beast ball,modest,with 4 eggmoves and 31/31/24/19/31/31 ivs (I was trying to get a 6iv Lapras)

I really wish we could post a shiny collection thread (similar to the tcg collection threads)

Aq0aNF5.jpg
After an hour and a chain of 39, this amazing thing came to me! I flipped so bad when I saw this; I started screaming and typed gibberish on Skype for a few minutes. I named it Moony upon request. I'm not sure what its stats are, but I couldn't be bothered with whether it's viable or not.

I think the next Pokémon I'm going to hunt is Fomantis, so that I can have a shiny Lurantis.

Just found a shiny Drifloon after a chain of about 100 calls (ghosts are annoying to chain because of the False Swipe immunity). Shiny Drifblim is one of my all time favourite shiny sprites, so I had to take the opportunity now that shiny hunting is made this manageable.

After 1848 into a chain, I finally found a shiny Morelull! Now a level 55 Shiinotic. It's literally gonna be a great Sunny Day member of the team.

After a mere 17 chain, I found a shiny Sandygast just a mere 20 minutes after getting shiny Morelull. It's now a level 54 Palossand. Great staller it would seem.

After 139 eggs i got a shiny Trapinch. its Jolly 31/31/31/13/31/31 AKA perfect ivs x3

My hunts have been really quick lately x3

next up. Fomantis, Wimpod and Scyther!

Last edited:
After a chain of 64 (which is one of my favourite numbers), I caught a Shiny Pikipek! I wasn't even aiming to chain it––my goal was for Lillipup, but I had time to kill.
scr_10_BOTTOM.png
scr_9_TOP_LEFT.png
Pikipek is Lax. Whether it's a good nature with good IVs or not, I'm happy, because it's Shiny!

So I was Nature breeding a HA Gible, and I got two shiny Gible within 5 eggs of each other...

Yeah I don't know what those odds are, I only hatched 80 eggs, and as far as I know, an English Ditto and English Gible isn't Masuda breeding :/

Back