• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard The Miltank Manuver (Alolan Golem / Magnezone)

Yog

Rogue
So, I've discovered and been playing round with a somewhat broken combo based around the new Miltank card.

VsOUnrd.png

It allows you heal 90hp for attaching an energy - with two clauses - Miltank must be the active at time of attachment, and the energy must be attached from hand.

To attach from hand, more than just the single manual attachment, you could use Gardevoir maybe, but I have been focusing on Magnemite. There will be Solgaleo Ultra Road shenanigans in the future, but for now I've been working with the legal Electric type. And this deck would probably work better with Raikou, but if we're going to be a little mad, might as well go right in the deep end and pair it up with Alolan Golem GX. :confused:

Dashing Pouch allows you retreat Golem at the cost of four [L], and they all go to hand. You then re-attach all four which more than heals any damage off of the tanky 250hp fugbeast. You will need to have some kind of switch card to promote back to active since you've retreated once already this turn - Guzma, Switch, Warp Energy need high counts.

It's all very complicated and clunky, but when it gets going it's hilarious for the opponents reactions alone. It's currently sitting at 13 wins from 30, so clearly we are not going to dominate the metagame any time soon. But still I'd like some input on how best to go about building a deck that requires two Stage 2 lines plus more support.

OBoW15Q.png

Pokémon
3-1-3 Alolan Golem-GX
3-1-3 Magnezone
1 Xurkitree-GX
2 Moomoo Malt Miltank
2 Tapu Lele / 1 Oranguru

Early game you will try to stall a lot. Taking some minor hits here is not the worst thing in the world, you can heal it off easily later if you can survive long enough to set up. Ideally you will get two Magnemite and two Geodude out from a Brigette early, the opponent can kill one off and you'll be fine once you have back-ups. In fact you want them to, in order to free up bench space. Avoid playing both Lele, or even either if you can manage. There's a lot of parts here and you'll need the space for Oranguru and the late surprise Miltank. Even Lele later for the crucial supporter.

Free retreat Magnemite & Geodude are the basics of choice since you can take a 30 hit and then retreat to spread it around some. Xurkitree is here to stall for the same reasons, especially against your weakness, fighting decks, and their tendancy to have too much Special Energy.

If and when you get going, Golem's attacks are ferocious. Magnezone is a decent attacker (the new one will be better) versus Hoopa or Ninetales. Oranguru can attack too. And of course Magnemite can power up Lele as an attacker in an instant if necessary.

Support
1 Brigette / 1 Lillie
2 Guzma
3 N / 1 Sycamore
3 Skyla (soon to be 3 Volkner)

I prefer a Brigette / Lillie split over two Brigette. Lillie is reasonable in this deck as you have so many irretrievable resources you don't want to toss.

We're quite item reliant, so there is a high Skyla count. Grabbing a Pouch, Candy, Energy boost, Field Blower, Po Town etc. at the right time can be crucial. Leaning to N more than Sycamore due to resources.

More Guzma would be better, but corners need to be cut somewhere.

5KP48Zx.png

Items
4 Ultra Ball / 1 Timer Ball / 1 Heavy ball
4 Rare Candy
1 Prof Letter / 1 Energy Retrieval
2 Dashing Pouch
2 Switch
2 Field Blower
1 Po Town

We don't necessarily need Field Blower except that Garbotoxin is instakill to this deck. Someone hitting you with a choice band is rarely the difference between life and death. Parallel City is a danger you need to get rid of too, although freeing up your bench is often quite useful.

Po Town puts an extra 30 on all the 210hp Stage 1s around of late, pushing them into range of Golem since youdon't have Choice Bands of your own.

Energy
9 [L] Energy
1 Warp Energy

Warp Energy gets you out of a pinch more often than you'd think.

Nqk5scj.png

I've been having fun with this. I suppose what I need most is input on ways to make it more consistent. Obviously it will never be silky smooth, but minor tweaks appreciated. Even major tweaks, like swapping in Raikou for Golem (although the attacks are less awe-inspiring and the amount of health you could heal off is lower).

Last edited:
-1 Magneton
-1 Xurkitree
-1 Timer Ball
-1 Po Town
-1 Lillie
-1 Skyla

If you're lacking consistency, then stick to the plan and get rid of what's jamming it:

You only need one MZone at a time on the field, Magneton is simply not needed, skip to the main man.
Xurki's cute but get to the point.
Timer Ball's inconsistent and you have Heavy Ball for Golem.
Either go 3/4 Po Town or none at all. Find other ways to inflict that 10 dmg.
I'd use Shauna (eventually Cynthia) over Lillie because of your T1 Brigette necessity.
3 Skyla is overkill.

+1 Tapu Koko (PRO)
+1 Heavy Ball
+1 N
+1 Prof. Sycamore
+2 Shauna

Koko gets you the magical 210dmg after opponent's Brigette and solves a problem that requires consideration: A.Ninetales/Hoopa.
An extra Heavy Ball for moar Golem.
An extra N for consistency.
An extra Syca for late game desperation.
2 Shauna for consistency without losing stuff.

Essentially trimming the fat and getting more draw power. Since you're using 2 stage2 mons, you need to rush through your deck and, sometimes, that involves shuffling stuff around. Any of those cards can be replaced by something that's sorely lacking on your list: Rescue Stretcher (Heavy Ball might be the prime candidate). If a second card finds room in there, then it's your third Guzma.

No matter what, keep rocking that rocky mustache, bro. Good luck!

YOU'VE FINALLY DONE IT! IT IS HERE! WHEEEEEEEE-
Alright, I'm done.

I think this might be a tad better if you:
Cut Po Town for another Dashing Pouch
Cut Xurkitree for perhaps a Timer or Heavy ball; your choice
Care to cut a Switch for your missing N?
You could probably stick in a Koko Promo (for those 210HP Pokémon) anywhere I said to take out something.

Nice input. Definitely swapping out Po Town for promo Koko. The lack of DCE had me hesitant, but that spread and the bonus free retreat is hard to deny. It's already been helping in the games since these posts.

I've been in two minds with Timer ball hah. When it works out, you are set for the game and early, but when it doesn't ugh.. I know it should be 50/50 (or rather 25/50/25), but it oftens seems like it's all tails always. Heavy Ball will never grab the much needed Magnezone is the issue. At least with Timer Ball it sometimes will. I will trial it for a while and see how it goes.

I'm hesitant to drop Magneton entirely, there are so many snipe+ Espeon-EX decks on the ladder at the minute, and once you get downgraded, if you're out of Candy, you are also out of luck.

Xurkitree is a luxury I suppose. He is very good at the early game stall while you set up, and making your opponent dig. But then he becomes a bench sitter, or an easy two prizes, neither of which this deck can't really afford. He'll need to make room for more needed cards. I don't think the Dashing Pouch is one of those, but a Rescue Stretcher is certainly something I was trying to find room for. If all goes well you'll never need it, you just shrug off the damage. But when discarding to dig deeper, sometimes it's as good as an Ultra Ball just searching the waste instead.

The Switches are pretty crucial too, to pull off the whole Miltank Manuver. If anything, I'd like to find room for more switching cards so I actually have them when I need them :v

Shauna is not a bad idea at all.

I've change this much for the moment;
-1 Po Town
-1 Xurkitree
-1 Timer Ball
-1 Magnezone (yes, whoops)
-1 Skyla

+1 Rescue Stretcher
+2 Shauna (/Cynthia)
+1 Sycamore
+1 Koko Promo

Koko gets you the magical 210dmg after opponent's Brigette and solves a problem that requires consideration: A.Ninetales/Hoopa.

Just a note on this, the new upgraded Magnezone with 10hp more, and the better attack (130 for [L][C][C][C]) will hopefully solve this when it arrives in Ultra Prism.

Volkner will also upgrade the Skyla to something more useful. Might even be able to cut the Letter at that point too, if it works out.

I went seven wins from ten with the updated list yesterday. Although I'm definitely at the lower end of whatever MMR the client uses. Just in time for this lightning challenge too.

*preps for fighting decks galore*

Back