The Indepth Tier 1 Deck Guide

Ka$h Money

Aspiring Trainer
Hiya, this is a thread regarding most of the current decks in our format.

This is rotated every season so we have a fresh look at the decks around

Luxape: Tier 1

3-1 infernape e4 lv.x
2-1 luxray gl lv.x
1-bronzong g
1-Promocroak G (thanks to Frodus for the suggestion)
2-crobat g
2-1-uxie
1-azelf
1-1 claydol
1-unown g
1-1 ninetails(tech for flygon and mewtwo)
1-lucario (hurts kingdra and combos with ninetails)

4-cyrus
3-roseannes
3-bebes(grabs claydol and ninetails)
4-poketurn
2-powerspray
4-enerygain
2-sp radar
1-warp point
1-night maintenace
1-premier ball
2-Aron's Collection

1- Psychic
3-call
6-fire
2-lightning

strategy:the strategy is to use infernape to spread damage around the board then use luxrays bright look attack to shut down key cards to your opponents set like there draw engine(claydol) or main attacker.with the active slot being manipulated so much many plays can go from good to bad in the span of 1 turn.infernape gets KOs on big guys that hurt your luxray and his fire spin is almost always a ko with early game split bombing.

counters: the mirror can be pretty annoying and one thing that can make it better is using a uxie draw engine over claydol because it does not give them the oppurtunity to brightlook a claydol for a prize the downside to this play is powerspray and lego lock.I picked claydol for nats because its not destroyed by legos and consistancy wins games.
toxicroak g promo, this guy is one of the most annoying cards to play against with luxape you ko one of his friends and hes ready to eat your luxray and put a nice bruis eon infernape.
kingdra donk, kingdra is another guy that hurts you but luckily enough we have luxray to bring on the pain to after disabling there claydol and then beating them down with lux hes not so fierce.

overall:4.5/5 this deck is great and the only reason im giving it a 4.5 out of 5 is because its extremely easy to misplay with and is definetly not a deck for beginners.also toxicroak g is way to splashable and your basically gaurunteed to see him at least once at a major tournement and he can be a really pain.

Credit to trevorisapro for providing the information for luxape (I also done some manipulation into giving us a good deck list)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Mother Gengar: Tier 1

Decklist:
4-2-4 Gengar SF
2-2 Claydol
2-1-2 Nidoqueen
2 Crobat G
1 Uxie LA
1 Unown G

23 Pokemon

4 Bebe's Search
3 Roseanne's Research
1 Looker's Investigation
4 Rare Candy
1 Luxury Ball
2 Miasma Valley/BTS
4 Pokedex Handy/Poke Drawer
4 Poke Turn
2 Night Maintenance
2 Warp Point

27 T/S/ST

2 Call Energy
8 Psychic Energy

10 Energy

Strategy
It's basically use Crobat G to target your opponent's Poke Power users (Azelf, Uxie, Weavile, Claydol, etc.) and then use Gengar's Shadow Room to finish them off. Repeat Crobat G with Poke Turn. For Nidoqueen, the healing on Gengar allows him so stay active a little longer and tries to get your opponent to KO you with a risk of Fainting Spell hitting them.

Counters
Not so hard to play against. The best counters are:

-Skuntank G
-Uxie LA
-Crobat G

Otherwise, just play against it the way you would play against any deck. Fainting Spell has a 50-50 chance of KO'ing you.

Overall
4/5

A pretty popular deck, Mother Gengar has been doing pretty well in multiple areas. Since so many deck these days runs Crobat G, Skuntank G, Weavile SW, Azelf, Claydol, and Uxie (each have 70-80 HP) most people can KO them real quickly with Crobat G+Shadow Room. One problem is what happens if Flash Bite gets locked, where your OHKO chances are lowered a bit. That's why you should run Poke Turn. Gengar is also pretty fast, being able to use Shadow Room for 1 energy (actually being able to donk certain decks.) Overall, it's key weakness is how easy it is to play around it. If you can bring up any Pokemon that isn't a Gengar up, then Mother Gengar seems to be having a problem. This happens easily through Luxray GL and Palkia Lv.X. The other problem is KO'ing Gengar without letting your opponent use Fainting Spell.

Credit to Gliscor for giving me the information for Mother Gengar
----------------------------------------------------------------------

3-1 Palkia G Lv.X
1-1 Floatzel GL Lv.X/Dialga G Lv.X
2 Crobat G
1 Promocroak G
4 Mesprit LA
2-1 Uxie Lv.X
1 Azelf LA
1 Giratina (Let Loose)
1 Unown G

19 Pokemon

4 Cyrus's Conspiracy
3 Roseanne's Research
1 Looker's Investigation
1 Luxury Ball
2 Premier Ball
4 Energy Gain
4 Poke Turn
3 Power Spray
2 SP Radar
1 Damage Porter
1 SSU
2 Night Maintenance
2 Warp Point

30 T/S/ST

10 Water Energy
1 Psychic

11 Energy

Strategy
Legoes is a deck that heavily abuses instant-play powers, such as Mesprit LA, Azelf LA, and Uxie LA. Of course, when you play these cards they obviously fill up bench space. That's why Palkia G Lv.X can use his Lost Cyclone Poke Power to clear your bench, and also disrupting your opponent if they have a large bench. With this, you can draw cards (Uxie LA), lock Poke Powers (Mesprit LA), and look at your prizes (Azelf LA.) While you do all of that stuff, Palkia G Lv.X can snipe away your opponent's Pokemon and spread.

Counters
-Pachirisu GE-
For just one Energy, Smash Short could possibly do 80 damage on to a Palkia G. This is possible because if you have an Energy Gain, Smash Short does 40 damage. Multiply that by two and you get 80 due to weakness. (but you don't see to many of these)
-Machamp SF-
Take Out pwnage. That's why you should run Unown G.
-Luxray GL-
Luxray GL, being very popular, can use Trash Bolt and OHKO Palkia G. 70x2 due to weakness does 140 damage, KO'ing Palkia G Lv.X and Palkia G.

Overall
4/5

Legoes has done very well lately. In the Master's during the US Nats, there were a lot of Lego variants that made it to the top. Firstly, the great thing about Legoes is the amount you can do with it. Instead of wasting your time with Power Sprays, you can start real early with a Mesprit lock. This hurts Azelf, Uxie, fast Claydol's, and Mirror matches. Plus, it really starts to slow down your opponent. Soon, Palkia G Lv.X could really start going and should be ready for a Lost Cyclone. Now you can really spam Mesprit locks. Hydro Shot, also, should be good enough to OHKO your opponent's Claydol or staple card pretty well, as they obviously wouldn't Lost Cyclone those Pokemon. This makes Palkia G very versatile, being able to snipe, lock, and spread pretty well. A big problem is Power Spray/other Poke Power locks. With this happening, you'll lose your draw power from Uxie, prizes from Azelf, and locking from Mesprit for some time. Then comes Machamp, who can easily hurt you if you can't get Unown G (note how I didn't put it into the list.) And LuxApe, where Luxray GL can OHKO you and Infernape 4's switch really starts to disrupt you. But, it is possible to win against LuxApe

Credit to Gliscor for the Information for Legoes (just to let you know I made slight adjustments to your list)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ying-Yang:

Pokemon:23
4-2-3-1 flygon LV.X (SW-RR-RR-RR)
2-2 Claydol
3-2 weavile (LA-SW)
1 Ditto
2 Unwon G
1 uxie

Tss:25
4 Bebe
3 Roseannes
2 Cynthia
3 BTS
4 Rare candy
4 Pokedrawer
2 Warp point
1 Luxury ball
2 Night Maintence

Energy:12
3 Call
3 Basic Dark
4 Special dark
2 Upper energy

Stratgy: Try to get a full bench of evolved pokemon to hit for alot with power swing. Weavile helps charge up Flygon's high Attack cost of 3 and also helps to hit for extra damage netting you some important 1HKO's.

Counters:
Porygon-z: This deck hits for weakness, has a Poke Power that gets rid of most of your energy and is faster than you.
LuxApe: They are much faster than you and they can drag up stuff like your claydol really slowing down your setup. But if you get set up then you should really have no problem winning as long as you are not down huge as you can 1 Hit anything on their feild.

Ninetails:They 1 hit you with Lucario GL or lake boundry in play.

Overall ranking: 4/5 as it is a little slow.

Thanks to Pokekid Brandon for providing the information for Ying-Yang

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, basically I would ask experienced people to post and help me fill these categories in so that members can view the best possible understanding of these decks and so on.

As I said before I would do this every season.

So after autumn BRs I would find out which decks are Tier 1 at the time.
So just a little prediction it would be absol G and Blaziken FB.

I would also like you to help me fix any apparent mistakes within the Decklist as I want these to be good =)
Thanks for reading

RE: The Official What Deck is Hot thread

Mother Gengar

Decklist:
4-2-4 Gengar SF
2-2 Claydol
2-1-2 Nidoqueen
2 Crobat G
1 Uxie LA
1 Unown G

23 Pokemon

4 Bebe's Search
3 Roseanne's Research
1 Looker's Investigation
4 Rare Candy
1 Luxury Ball
2 Miasma Valley/BTS
4 Pokedex Handy/Poke Drawer
4 Poke Turn
2 Night Maintenance
2 Warp Point

27 T/S/ST

2 Call Energy
8 Psychic Energy

10 Energy

Strategy
It's basically use Crobat G to target your opponent's Poke Power users (Azelf, Uxie, Weavile, Claydol, etc.) and then use Gengar's Shadow Room to finish them off. Repeat Crobat G with Poke Turn. For Nidoqueen, the healing on Gengar allows him so stay active a little longer and tries to get your opponent to KO you with a risk of Fainting Spell hitting them.

Counters
Not so hard to play against. The best counters are:

-Skuntank G
-Uxie LA
-Crobat G

Otherwise, just play against it the way you would play against any deck. Fainting Spell has a 50-50 chance of KO'ing you.

Overall
4/5

A pretty popular deck, Mother Gengar has been doing pretty well in multiple areas. Since so many deck these days runs Crobat G, Skuntank G, Weavile SW, Azelf, Claydol, and Uxie (each have 70-80 HP) most people can KO them real quickly with Crobat G+Shadow Room. One problem is what happens if Flash Bite gets locked, where your OHKO chances are lowered a bit. That's why you should run Poke Turn. Gengar is also pretty fast, being able to use Shadow Room for 1 energy (actually being able to donk certain decks.) Overall, it's key weakness is how easy it is to play around it. If you can bring up any Pokemon that isn't a Gengar up, then Mother Gengar seems to be having a problem. This happens easily through Luxray GL and Palkia Lv.X. The other problem is KO'ing Gengar without letting your opponent use Fainting Spell.

^^^
Is this how it's done...?

^That list is terrible. You need at least 2 unonw G for the mirror 2 crobat is overkill so drop one or an azelf. Also make the claydol 1-1 or 1-2. Make the call 3 or 4 so if you get a bad start you might actually be able to get it. you also need more uxie in case your other one is prized.

^It worked great for me. Almost all of the times, a T1 Gengar and a few Crobat G's ready to go.

Firstly, 2 Crobat G is needed almost all of the time. If one is prized, then what will you do? With Azelf, it's too much bench space. You'll be having about 1 Crobat G, Uxie, Claydol, Nidoqueen, and some Gengar. 4 Call is overkill, since Gengar requires Psychic Energy to attack. Don't always expect having enough Psychic Energy so easily. And 1-1 Claydol/1-2 Claydol, just isn't worth it.

@ Gliscor, that is exactly how I want it done. Since many know you are an experienced player and have a good knowledge of the TCG I will most gladly use your entry as the Mother Gengar one. I did want to have a crack at it myself but I am no where near good enough to think up a good deck list for each one. Anyhow do you think this is a sustainable and good idea for the forums? Also I will post up your entry Gliscor in the morning.

@ Pokekid Brandon, whats ying yang? Is it T1 worthy? Also I will post up your entry Gliscor in the morning.

Gliscor is it ok if I use your entry to present to a mod? I hope so =). Can you two however give me some feedback as to whether this is a good idea please...

kashmaster said:
Gliscor is it ok if I use your entry to present to a mod? I hope so =). Can you two however give me some feedback as to whether this is a good idea please...

Yes, you may. I think it's a good idea to let people know about the strategy, an example decklist, counters, and things like that.

Here's a list for Ying/Yang

Pokemon:23
4-2-3-1 flygon LV.X (SW-RR-RR-RR)
2-2 Claydol
3-2 weavile (LA-SW)
1 Ditto
2 Unwon G
1 uxie

Tss:25
4 Bebe
3 Roseannes
2 Cynthia
3 BTS
4 Rare candy
4 Pokedrawer
2 Warp point
1 Luxury ball
2 Night Maintence

Energy:12
3 Call
3 Basic Dark
4 Special dark
2 Upper energy

Stratgy: Try to get a full bench of evolved pokemon to hit for alot with power swing. Weavile helps charge up Flygon's high Attack cost of 3 and also helps to hit for extra damage netting you some important 1HKO's.

Counters:
Porygon-z: This deck hits for weakness, has a Poke Power that gets rid of most of your energy and is faster than you.
LuxApe: They are much faster than you and they can drag up stuff like your claydol really slowing down your setup. But if you get set up then you should really have no problem winning as long as you are not down huge as you can 1 Hit anything on their feild.

Ninetails:They 1 hit you with Lucario GL or lake boundry in play.

Overall ranking: 4/5 as it is a little slow.

I like both of your entries, I will however have to post these a little later than now as I need to go out. I did inform Shining Raikou about this thread so hopefully he can see it as we do and sticky it.

Legoes

Decklist

3-1 Palkia G Lv.X
1-1 Floatzel GL Lv.X/Dialga G Lv.X
2 Crobat G
1 Bronzong G
4 Mesprit LA
2-1 Uxie Lv.X
1 Azelf LA
1 Giratina (Let Loose)
1 Unown G

19 Pokemon

4 Cyrus's Conspiracy
3 Roseanne's Research
1 Looker's Investigation
1 Luxury Ball
2 Premier Ball
4 Energy Gain
4 Poke Turn
3 Power Spray
2 SP Radar
1 Damage Porter
1 SSU
2 Night Maintenance
2 Warp Point

30 T/S/ST

11 Water Energy

11 Energy

Strategy
Legoes is a deck that heavily abuses instant-play powers, such as Mesprit LA, Azelf LA, and Uxie LA. Of course, when you play these cards they obviously fill up bench space. That's why Palkia G Lv.X can use his Lost Cyclone Poke Power to clear your bench, and also disrupting your opponent if they have a large bench. With this, you can draw cards (Uxie LA), lock Poke Powers (Mesprit LA), and look at your prizes (Azelf LA.) While you do all of that stuff, Palkia G Lv.X can snipe away your opponent's Pokemon and spread.

Counters
-Pachirisu GE-
For just one Energy, Smash Short could possibly do 80 damage on to a Palkia G. This is possible because if you have an Energy Gain, Smash Short does 40 damage. Multiply that by two and you get 80 due to weakness.
-Machamp SF-
Take Out pwnage. That's why you should run Unown G.
-Luxray GL-
Luxray GL, being very popular, can use Trash Bolt and OHKO Palkia G. 70x2 due to weakness does 140 damage, KO'ing Palkia G Lv.X and Palkia G.

Overall
3.5/5

Legoes has done very well lately. In the Master's during the US Nats, there were a lot of Lego variants that made it to the top. Firstly, the great thing about Legoes is the amount you can do with it. Instead of wasting your time with Power Sprays, you can start real early with a Mesprit lock. This hurts Azelf, Uxie, fast Claydol's, and Mirror matches. Plus, it really starts to slow down your opponent. Soon, Palkia G Lv.X could really start going and should be ready for a Lost Cyclone. Now you can really spam Mesprit locks. Hydro Shot, also, should be good enough to OHKO your opponent's Claydol or staple card pretty well, as they obviously wouldn't Lost Cyclone those Pokemon. This makes Palkia G very versatile, being able to snipe, lock, and spread pretty well. A big problem is Power Spray/other Poke Power locks. With this happening, you'll lose your draw power from Uxie, prizes from Azelf, and locking from Mesprit for some time. Then comes Machamp, who can easily hurt you if you can't get Unown G (note how I didn't put it into the list.) And LuxApe, where Luxray GL can OHKO you and Infernape 4's switch really starts to disrupt you. But, it is possible to win against LuxApe.

So Gliscor, were you trying to make a purposely bad Legos list by not putting ANY Unown G in (just to name 1 thing), or have you not played it before?

>:^[

Fine, I updated the list. And yes, I've played Legoes before.

Actually the real name for the "ying-yang" deck you have here is just Dark Flygon. I've never heard "ying-yang" used to describe a Flygon deck. Pink Flygon also might be worth mentioning.

^ Is pink flygon tier 1?

Also gliscor is Legos really 3.5 I thought it was one of the better decks out there?

Pink Flygon is a variation of Flygon. If you look at the tier list, in teir 1 is Flygon. Not pink Flygon or dark Flygon, just Flygon. So if you have one variation on here, you might as well have the other.

Machamp

4-2-2/1-1 machamp x (2 sf/1 dp machamp)
2-2 claydol
2-1 uxie x
1 unown g
1-0-1 metagross
1 skuntank g
1 unown q
3 unown r
1 azelf

trainers and co.
4 beb
3 ros
2 night maintenance
2 warp point
4 poke drawers
2 BTS
3 SSU
3 poke radar
4 Rare Candy

energy 7
7 fighting

The strategy behind this deck depends on a little of everything here. Some, you don't need. Fast Unown R is an option in here, I kind of like Unown Q so I would not have to waste a warp for a bad start retreat. Metagross to bring stuff up and destroy.

Hard match ups:
~ Toxitank
~ Extreme Speed Gengar

Ranking:
4.5/5

^Didn't Kashmaster said he wanted decks that are Tier 1? Machamp isn't Tier 1; he is Tier 2. And the hard matchups are wrong, and so is the ranking. Machamp is definately not 4.5/5, he is about 3/5. If Machamp can't pull of a T1 donk, then he becomes very inconsistant and struggles to pull off a win. Plus, your decklist isn't so good. That's a little slow, which starts to hurt Machamp if he can't pull a T1 donk. Plus, with only 7 energy, you'll be finding it very hard to even grab a single energy. Maybe not very hard, but hard.

kashmaster said:
^ Is pink flygon tier 1?

Also gliscor is Legos really 3.5 I thought it was one of the better decks out there?

Ying/Yang is much better than Pink Flygon as it is easy to get around the effect of palkia with Free retreat/Warp point. Also if it gets behind in energy it thas a hard time catching up and with anything less than a decent start it has trouble.

Back