The EX Factor

Well I still feel the regigigas EX deserves more credit everyone one loves outrage and for a DC more your doin more damage then needed

There's a huge difference between one DCE and two DCE. Regigigas is good and probably deserves more hype than it's getting. All-colorless attacks on a 180HP basic is very good, but the card isn't amazing. It's too reliant on the opponent damaging it first, and Terrakion wrecks it.

Great article, Zorua. I've learned about the Exs a lot, no doubt. You really should write more of these - this is excellent!

This is the one problem I have with Mewtwo EX: energy acceleration. Out of the 3 ways you mention, Eeletrik is the only one I see working as it's similar Magneel. Gardevoir is interesting since you can do 60 with one energy(correct me if I'm wrong), but still not that fast. Celebi Prime is just no, I'm still trying to figure out why it's getting so much hype. There's just too many cards involved and fact that it has to be in the active position is just ugh. Mewtwo is a good card, but I don't think it's as good as everyone thinking it is.

Now the card I think everyone should look out for is Shaymin EX. This card literally scares me because it can change the tide of a game in a second. I actually have a very interesting deck ideal involving this card, but I'm keeping it a secret right now.

Anyway, very good article Zorua,nicely done. I just think things will turn out different than what you think.

Celebi23 said:
There's a huge difference between one DCE and two DCE. Regigigas is good and probably deserves more hype than it's getting. All-colorless attacks on a 180HP basic is very good, but the card isn't amazing. It's too reliant on the opponent damaging it first, and Terrakion wrecks it.

Thank you. Nobody else seems to understand this.

scuba steveE said:
This is the one problem I have with Mewtwo EX: energy acceleration. Out of the 3 ways you mention, Eeletrik is the only one I see working as it's similar Magneel. Gardevoir is interesting since you can do 60 with one energy(correct me if I'm wrong), but still not that fast. Celebi Prime is just no, I'm still trying to figure out why it's getting so much hype. There's just too many cards involved and fact that it has to be in the active position is just ugh. Mewtwo is a good card, but I don't think it's as good as everyone thinking it is.

Now the card I think everyone should look out for is Shaymin EX. This card literally scares me because it can change the tide of a game in a second. I actually have a very interesting deck ideal involving this card, but I'm keeping it a secret right now.

Anyway, very good article Zorua,nicely done. I just think things will turn out different than what you think.

Gardevoir is by far the worst option to run with Mewtwo (and 1 energy means 40, not 60). MTC (Celebi) is incredibly consistent and gets the T1 3 energy out there 9/10 games. It's scary fast. Celebi + Skyarrow + Tornadus/Mewtwo is really easy to get out with enough draw power, and you are running max switch and JA. Mewtwo isn't worth the hype it's getting, but it is a great card all around still. Easy to tech, high damage output and requires little setup for a really great effect. Shaymin is a great finisher/sweeper, but it can't be a deck on its own, or at least not one that does well. Tech with it, but don't build around it.

Trainerhan1 said:
Great article, but fliptini could have been mentioned for Reshiram-EX.
I agree, great article, but I do think that you should have mentioned fliptini.

Completely disagree that Durant and Chandelure are going to be dead.

Sure the damage spread may not seem as effective because EXs have large amounts of HP, but I guarantee that there is no one deck that only uses EXs. That being said, there are other viable targets for dropping the damage to, not to mention that should that EX not be ready to go in one turn, nothing short of a Luring Light from Lampent or Catcher will screw up the EX thanks to Chandelures ability to Status. Confuse and Burn without the possibility to Switch is actually a huge advantage since now you're going to have to burn a lot of resources to get that EX out of active spot. With the trainer lock in effect, your burning 3-4 energies to do so. Although it doesn't have enough damage output to KO the Mewtwo EX in one shot, even after dropping the damage counters, benching that Mewtwo EX too early isn't going to turn out well because you'd be forced to power it up on your own, knowing that aside from the one Chandelure that attacks, the attackers in that deck do not usually have more than a rescue energy on them.

In regards to Durant, you have speed and control over all the aforementioned decks. To say that its playability goes down because of Reshiram EX makes no sense. Durant already had to deal with things that could OHKO all of the pokemon, that's why it has the control and energy denial aspects of the deck. It can start devouring first turn and could potentially mill you of precious resources that may make setting up your EX harder. Combine that with the stream of Lost Removers/Crushing Hammers (Even if only half of those flips on the hammers are heads) and you could be put in a bad spot before your Reshiram EX can start sweeping the opponent's field. Mentioning that Durant gets Shaymin EX is so completely irrelevant because the point of the deck is to mill them and NOT take prizes. Cobalion was often placed in the deck as a counter, but it was never the main point of the deck.

There is also no mention of the deck that is picking up a lot of steam and probably runs the most EXs in it, Celebi w/EXs. Basic premise of the deck is to use Celebi/Smeargle and SkyArrow Bridge to set up Tornadus, Mewtwo, or Regigigas as early as possible to start applying that first turn pressure, similar to ZPST but more consistant because all of the attackers in the deck use colourless energy. From there, it's just a matter of picking the best things to target and saving the energies for Mewtwo, baiting the opponent to bring out their own Mewtwo EX, so you can promptly promote yet another Mewtwo EX and finish the game.

The other kind of Energy acceleration that Mewtwo-EX can use is Celebi Prime. Since its release,Celebi Prime has had no play whatsoever, and remained the least favorable and cheapest Prime from all of the HGSS sets.

This statement is a lie. You, sir, have not met Slowking Prime.

Completely disagree with authors take on Groudon EX and Durant. Groudon would have incredible in a truth based deck had he been released in ND and if Durant is so dead why did Nintendo print a direct counter card in the form of Heatmor in our next set?

Dark Void said:
This statement is a lie. You, sir, have not met Slowking Prime.

Celebi Prime is a very hyped and great way to get energy on Mewtwo. If anything, you are lying by saying that to him. Also, What does Slowking have anything to do with Celebi?

Nigel said:
Celebi Prime is a very hyped and great way to get energy on Mewtwo. If anything, you are lying by saying that to him. Also, What does Slowking have anything to do with Celebi?

He's talking about the fact that Slowking is more underplayed and cheaper than Celebi, not the energy acceleration, lol.

Zorua said:
He's talking about the fact that slowking is more underplayed and cheaper than Celebi, not the energy acceleration, lol.

Okay, gotcha. That was just explained to me on Skype.

Anyways, are you going to write even more of these great articles?

Durant shouldn't go down in popularity at all. In fact, since most EXs tend to get moving slowly, Mewtwo has resistance disadvantage on Durant, and Durant has access to Lost Remover and Crush Hammer, it competes very well with them. It has trouble versus Regigigas (after it is allowed to damage itself twice with its first attack, it can reliably one-shot Durants) and Reshiram (due to its ability to one-shot Durant with three energy, two of which are colorless). Experience speaks loudest, though, that which I lack with the new set.

~L_X_F

Durant takes a hit because of all these new cards that can ohko Durant easily. LR has become more beneficial, but almost everything has enough energy eccel behind it to not really care. Mewtwo will only be used as an attacker in MTC imo, if even there, Reshiram has abiliboar which limits you to flippy crushing hammer, Zekrom has eels, and Gigas won't be used as your attacker due to it being so reliant on DCEs unless it is in the Truth and they set up Vileplume to block your LRs. I don't know how it will fair but it definitely doesn't gain any advantages imo.

Continues where it's at or drops (less than Chandelure, but more than Tyram) is my best guess.

Captain Oats said:
Mewtwo will only be used as an attacker in MTC imo
Please please please tell me this is a joke. Mewtwo is literally a god in this format. It's an incredibly efficient early-game attacker, revenge killer, and EX counter. It's a staple in 90% of the decks in the format.

Celebi23 said:
Please please please tell me this is a joke. Mewtwo is literally a god in this format. It's an incredibly efficient early-game attacker, revenge killer, and EX counter. It's a staple in 90% of the decks in the format.

I was referring specifically to the Durant matchup. Resistance + the upped count of LR and hammers make Mewtwo a pretty inefficient attacker for that matchup. I wouldn't call him a god, but he is definitely the offensive version of Claydol or Azelf/Uxie.

Oh I thought you meant in general. Yeah, there are generally better attackers against Durant than Mewtwo. Using Mewtwo is certainly effective though. I often use that strategy when using ZekEel since Zekrom is vulnerable to Black Belt.

Back