TCG Fakes The "Common Wording Errors" Compilation

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
The "Common Wording Errors" Compilation

Designing your card spoiler can be one of the toughest tasks in creating your TCG fake. Not only should the mechanics and content be considered, but also the wording. Wording is among the most important - and most daunting - aspects of faking, important in establishing professionalism and consistency across your works. It certainly doesn’t help that the card game has a binderload of unspoken rules for wording. Below you can find a compilation of the more common wording errors to cut your workload in cross referencing your spoilers.

This compilation is written for the Sun & Moon era, however is in most cases suitable for older eras. This compilation is also not all-inclusive, so if you known an error you think should be added, post it in this thread.

Terminology Errors:
Damage is done, damage counters are put. [References: Gengar BRK, Golbat PHF -Blui]

Types are always written in Energy format; i.e. [P] type. [References: Dimension Valley, Hariyama FFI]

Energy is Energy when attached, it’s an Energy card when not. This means you can’t search your deck for Energy. [Reference: Palkia-EX, Lugia-EX, Fisherman, Aromatisse XY, Shuppet ROS]

Only damage counters may be moved from one Pokémon to another, not damage. [References: Dusknoir FLF, Meowstic FLF]

When an attack or ability references the Pokemon using it, it is always referred to as ‘this Pokémon’. [Reference: Hawlucha FFI, Raichu XY]

“While” is used for an effect that is active for extended time periods for as long as something is true and is used in present tense. [References: Pangoro XY Promo, Dangerous Energy]

“If” is used when an effect is triggered by an action performed in the past or by an action that is present at a single point in time (i.e. is not constant). [References: Sceptile-EX, Malamar XY Promo, Ace Trainer].

“Whenever” is similar to “when” as it is used when an effect is to be triggered by an action in the future. However, “whenever” is used when the action and effect can happen on multiple occasions rather than just one. [References: Regirock XY Promo, Goomy AOR]

“When” is similar to “whenever” as it is also used when an effect is to be triggered by an action in the future. However, “when” is used when the action and effects can only occur once without outside interaction such as by trainers. [References: Shaymin-EX ROS, Sky Field, Healing Scarf]

"Your opponent's Active Pokémon" is used when the effect of an attack should only affect the current Active Pokémon. This is usually used either when leaving a Pokémon with a Special Condition: "Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now [conditioned]."; or else increasing or decreasing damage done to a Pokémon: "This Pokémon's attacks do 20 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon." [References: Arbok XY, Gliscor PHF, Strong Energy, Muscle Band]

"The Defending Pokémon" is used when the effect of an attack should affect all Pokémon targeted by the attack. This is usually used for all effects that aren't covered by the above rule: "The Defending Pokémon has no Abilities until the end of your opponent's next turn." [References: Arbok XY, Gliscor PHF]

"Evolution Pokémon" refers to any Pokémon that is an evolution card, however "evolved Pokémon" only refer to Pokémon that have evolved. [References: Glaceon-EX, this ruling]

As of the Sun & Moon era, instead of "times the number of" to refer to a multiplier, the correct terminology is "for each". [References: Rowlet Promo]

Structural Errors
When referring to multiples types of Energy, the word “Energy” is mentioned after all the Energy types are listed. [Reference: Scorched Earth]. However, with Pokémon, “Pokémon” is mentioned after each listed type. [Reference: Rough Seas].

When listing Energy types in an order, the order is always this: [G], [R], [W], [L], [P], [F], [D], [M], [Y], [N] and [C]. [References: Kecleon RR, M-Rayquaza [N], ROS Lucario PLS]

Whenever applying a Special Condition, the structure used should be “XXX is now [conditioned]”. If applying a Special Condition is optional, use the structure “You may leave XXX [conditioned]”. [References: Pumpkaboo XY, M Ampharos-EX]

If you wish for one effect to only apply if a condition is met, then the structure used should be “Do [X]. Then, do [Y]”. [References: Archie’s Ace in the Hole, Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick]

Starting from the XY era, "This attack" is always put in front of "does", notably when "does" would otherwise begin the sentence. [References: Compare Meloetta-EX to Joltik PHF]

Special Conditions are always ordered in alphabetical order, when listing more than one. [References: Venusaur-EX]

Parentheses Errors:
As separate sentences:
- (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)
- (This counts as evolving that Pokémon.)

In the same sentence:
- (before your attack)
- (before/after applying Weakness or Resistance)
- (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out)

- (excluding XXX Pokémon)
- (except for XXX)

NOTE: Note the italics of each clause. Formatting is important in wording.

Miscellaneous Grammatical or Formatting Errors
EX” is italicised. i.e. Pokémon-EX [References: Suicune PLB, Milotic FLF]

Numbers are always written as digits, i.e. Flip 2 coins. [References: Beedrill PRC, Meowstic BKP, Palkia-EX]

Contractions are always used when available. i.e. “can’t”, not “cannot”. [References: Raticate BKP, Evosoda]

Other Errors
If you are searching your deck for a specific type of card, it must be revealed; i.e. “reveal it”. If the card you retrieve can be any card, then it is not revealed. [References: Ultra Ball, Teammates]

If a damage modifier is applied to the Attacking Pokémon, it is always applied “(before applying Weakness and Resistance)”. When a modifier is applied to the Defending Pokémon, it is always applied “(after applying Weakness and Resistance)”. [References: Muscle Band, Kricketune BKP, Assault Vest, Machamp FUF]

It is important to specify how damage modifiers are applied whether it be “to this Pokémon”, “to the Defending Pokémon” and the like. [References: Mr Mime BKT, Snorlax BKT]

Cards heal damage in recent eras as opposed to removing damage counters like in older eras. [References: Azumarill AT, Potion]

Any card that searches the deck, and in general most cards that interact with the deck, must specify that a shuffle is to be performed afterwards. The clause is “Shuffle your deck afterward.” [Reference: Ultra Ball, Jirachi ROS]

Captilisation Errors:
Always capitalised:
- [Ability Name] i.e. Water Veil
- Active Pokémon
- Asleep
- [Attack Name] i.e.
- Splash Dance
- Basic Pokémon
- Bench/Benched
- Benched Pokémon
- BREAK
- Burned
- Confused
- Defending Pokémon
- Energy
- Item
- Knocked Out
- Mega Evolution
- Paralyzed
- Poisoned
- [Pokémon] i.e. Lunatone
- Pokémon
- Prize
- Resistance
- Retreat Cost
- Special Condition
- Stadium
- Stage 1
- Stage 2
- Supporter
- Tool
- Trainer
- Weakness

Never capitalised:
- attack
- basic [Energy]
- [Energy], [Trainer], [Pokémon] cards
- damage
- damage counter
- deck
- discard
- discard pile
- hand
- heads
- opponent
- play
- tails
- this [Pokémon]

Thankyou to...
- bbninjas
- Blui
- Jabberwock
- Metagross101

Last edited:

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Added these to the above post:
"Your opponent's Active Pokémon" is used when the effect of an attack should only affect the current Active Pokémon. This is usually used either when leaving a Pokémon with a Special Condition: "Your opponent's Active Pokémon is now [conditioned]."; or else increasing or decreasing damage done to a Pokémon: "This Pokémon's attacks do 20 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon." [References: Arbok XY, Gliscor PHF, Strong Energy, Muscle Band]

"The Defending Pokémon" is used when the effect of an attack should affect all Pokémon targeted by the attack. This is usually used for all effects that aren't covered by the above rule: "The Defending Pokémon has no Abilities until the end of your opponent's next turn." [References: Arbok XY, Gliscor PHF]

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Add a clarification on the difference between Evolution Pokémon and evolved Pokémon to the OP.

"Evolution Pokémon" refers to any Pokémon that is an evolution card, however "evolved Pokémon" only refer to Pokémon that have evolved. [References: Glaceon-EX, this ruling]

Here's the relevant ruling:

Crystal Ray (Glaceon EX - Fates Collide)
* Glaceon-EX's "Crystal Ray" attack makes it immune to damage done by attacks from "Evolution Pokemon". This is a new term that means any Pokemon that is an evolution card. So a Stage 1 Frogadier brought to the Bench by "Water Duplicates" would be affected by this. Basic Pokemon and Restored Pokemon are not affected. (Fates Collide FAQ; May 5, 2016 TPCi Rules Team)

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Doesn't this need to be a "Sticky" to make it easier for those who need help with text-based fakes?

Jabberwock

#Jovimohnaeliackvid
Forum Mod
Articles Staff
Given the text on Solgaleo-GX, it's extremely likely that S/M will include a few official wording changes. The main one is that what has been "Shuffle your deck afterward" since the WotC days will now be "Then, shuffle your deck". This wording, if you think about it, is much more in line with their other official wordings, but it's nonetheless startling for a wording that has existed since the early days of Pokémon to be changed now.

This will not be added to the OP until it is confirmed and has started to appear on released cards, but it's something to keep in mind for cards and sets post-S/M.

blahblahbal

Aspiring Trainer
I just noticed you don't have something about the order Special Conditions are listed in, if more than one is applied. It's ALWAYS in alphabetical order.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
As of Sun and Moon, the phrase "times the number of" will be replaced by "for each". For example, let's take Politoed's Big Chorus attack from HGSS. The effect currently reads "Flip a coin for each {W} Pokémon you have in play. This attack does 30 damage times the number of heads.", yeah? Well, if the HGSS Version of Politoed were to be reprinted in Sun and Moon, it would instead read "Flip a coin for each {W} Pokémon you have in play. This attack does 30 damage for each heads."

Don't believe me? Check the Rowlet Promo, the one with Fury Attack.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I'm just archiving the XY era compilation here, as we move into the Sun & Moon era!

The "Common Wording Errors" Compilation

Designing your card spoiler can be one of the toughest tasks in creating your TCG fake. Not only should the mechanics and content be considered, but also the wording. Wording is among the most important - and most daunting - aspects of faking, important in establishing professionalism and consistency across your works. It certainly doesn’t help that the card game has a binderload of unspoken rules for wording. Below you can find a compilation of the more common wording errors to cut your workload in cross referencing your spoilers.

This compilation is written for the XY era, however is in most cases suitable for older eras. This compilation is also not all-inclusive, so if you known an error you think should be added, post it in this thread.

Terminology Errors:
Damage is done, damage counters are put. [References: Gengar BRK, Golbat PHF -Blui]

Types are always written in Energy format; i.e. [P] type. [References: Dimension Valley, Hariyama FFI]

Energy is Energy when attached, it’s an Energy card when not. This means you can’t search your deck for Energy. [Reference: Palkia-EX, Lugia-EX, Fisherman, Aromatisse XY, Shuppet ROS]

Only damage counters may be moved from one Pokémon to another, not damage. [References: Dusknoir FLF, Meowstic FLF]

When an attack or ability references the Pokemon using it, it is always referred to as ‘this Pokémon’. [Reference: Hawlucha FFI, Raichu XY]

“While” is used for an effect that is active for extended time periods for as long as something is true and is used in present tense. [References: Pangoro XY Promo, Dangerous Energy]

“If” is used when an effect is triggered by an action performed in the past or by an action that is present at a single point in time (i.e. is not constant). [References: Sceptile-EX, Malamar XY Promo, Ace Trainer].

“Whenever” is similar to “when” as it is used when an effect is to be triggered by an action in the future. However, “whenever” is used when the action and effect can happen on multiple occasions rather than just one. [References: Regirock XY Promo, Goomy AOR]

“When” is similar to “whenever” as it is also used when an effect is to be triggered by an action in the future. However, “when” is used when the action and effects can only occur once without outside interaction such as by trainers. [References: Shaymin-EX ROS, Sky Field, Healing Scarf]

Structural Errors
When referring to multiples types of Energy, the word “Energy” is mentioned after all the Energy types are listed. [Reference: Scorched Earth]. However, with Pokémon, “Pokémon” is mentioned after each listed type. [Reference: Rough Seas].

When listing Energy types in an order, the order is always this: [G], [R], [W], [L], [P], [F], [D], [M], [Y], [N] and [C]. [References: Kecleon RR, M-Rayquaza [N], ROS Lucario PLS]

Whenever applying a Special Condition, the structure used should be “XXX is now [conditioned]”. If applying a Special Condition is optional, use the structure “You may leave XXX [conditioned]”. [References: Pumpkaboo XY, M Ampharos-EX]

If you wish for one effect to only apply if a condition is met, then the structure used should be “Do [X]. Then, do [Y]”. [References: Archie’s Ace in the Hole, Maxie’s Hidden Ball Trick]

Starting from the XY era, "This attack" is always put in front of "does", notably when "does" would otherwise begin the sentence. [References: Compare Meloetta-EX to Joltik PHF]

Special Conditions are always ordered in alphabetical order, when listing more than one. [References: Venusaur-EX]

Parentheses Errors:
As separate sentences:
- (Don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon.)
- (This counts as evolving that Pokémon.)

In the same sentence:
- (before your attack)
- (before/after applying Weakness or Resistance)
- (even if this Pokémon is Knocked Out)

- (excluding XXX Pokémon)
- (except for XXX)

NOTE: Note the italics of each clause. Formatting is important in wording.

Miscellaneous Grammatical or Formatting Errors
EX” is italicised. i.e. Pokémon-EX [References: Suicune PLB, Milotic FLF]

Numbers are always written as digits, i.e. Flip 2 coins. [References: Beedrill PRC, Meowstic BKP, Palkia-EX]

Contractions are always used when available. i.e. “can’t”, not “cannot”. [References: Raticate BKP, Evosoda]

Other Errors
If you are searching your deck for a specific type of card, it must be revealed; i.e. “reveal it”. If the card you retrieve can be any card, then it is not revealed. [References: Ultra Ball, Teammates]

If a damage modifier is applied to the Attacking Pokémon, it is always applied “(before applying Weakness and Resistance)”. When a modifier is applied to the Defending Pokémon, it is always applied “(after applying Weakness and Resistance)”. [References: Muscle Band, Kricketune BKP, Assault Vest, Machamp FUF]

It is important to specify how damage modifiers are applied whether it be “to this Pokémon”, “to the Defending Pokémon” and the like. [References: Mr Mime BKT, Snorlax BKT]

Cards heal damage in recent eras as opposed to removing damage counters like in older eras. [References: Azumarill AT, Potion]

Any card that searches the deck, and in general most cards that interact with the deck, must specify that a shuffle is to be performed afterwards. The clause is “Shuffle your deck afterward.” [Reference: Ultra Ball, Jirachi ROS]

Captilisation Errors:
Always capitalised:
- [Ability Name] i.e. Water Veil
- Active Pokémon
- Asleep
- [Attack Name] i.e.
- Splash Dance
- Basic Pokémon
- Bench/Benched
- Benched Pokémon
- BREAK
- Burned
- Confused
- Defending Pokémon
- Energy
- Item
- Knocked Out
- Mega Evolution
- Paralyzed
- Poisoned
- [Pokémon] i.e. Lunatone
- Pokémon
- Resistance
- Retreat Cost
- Special Condition
- Stadium
- Stage 1
- Stage 2
- Supporter
- Tool
- Trainer
- Weakness

Never capitalised:
- attack
- basic [Energy]
- [Energy], [Trainer], [Pokémon] cards
- damage
- damage counter
- deck
- discard
- discard pile
- hand
- heads
- opponent
- tails
- this [Pokémon]

Thankyou to...
- bbninjas
- Blui
- Jabberwock
- Metagross101

Ty Comfy Hat

The Cosmic rage of Astral Dwarfs from Aberdeen.
When the affect of an ability or attack reffers to it's own Weakness/Resistance, should the type be noted?

IE:
"This Pokémon's [F] Weakness"
or just:
"This Pokémon's Weakness"

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
When the affect of an ability or attack reffers to it's own Weakness/Resistance, should the type be noted?

IE:
"This Pokémon's [F] Weakness"
or just:
"This Pokémon's Weakness"
Since you've already posted your CAC entry, I'll answer this one. While there isn't any examples of this, I would assume it be just "This Pokémon's Weakness". A big reason to this wording would be if another Pokemon, say Pachirisu PHF, changed your Pokemon's Weakness to something that is not printed on the card.

Purrloin

I have a question. When is it appropriate to use a Pokémon's name instead of "this Pokémon"? I know it was once common to use a Pokémon's name instead, but I thought that wording rule died off after Call of Legends. :oops:

For instance, Haxorus (BREAKthrough 111) has Dragon Dance which reads:

As long as this Haxorus is your Active Pokémon, each of its attacks does 100 more damage (before applying Weakness and Resistance). You can't add more than 100 damage in this way.

For comparison, Magnemite (BREAKthrough 51) has the Sparkling Induction ability which reads:

As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, its Retreat Cost is [C] less for each Magnemite on your Bench.

Why wouldn't Haxorus's effect also say "As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon..."?

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
The reason for Haxorus being worded the way it is so that no other Pokemon can copy the attack and apply it to itself (unless that Pokemon is also named "Haxorus", as oppose to "Mew-EX" or similar), as to create any broken combinations.