Finished The Challenge VIII - The Diamond Isles - Game Over! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mirdo

Seagull Overlord and Business Entrepreneur
"It takes a village to raise a child." Apperently it takes a group of at least 3 to take down a gull.
I knew from the start of the challenge that, if I am up for elim that im the one to go.
I liked the idea of Drac sacrificing his points so Epist can swap with Blakers. That didn't matter in the end because i only lost because of the advantage (which i also very very closely didnt get :D) and beeing one or two points short of catching Lorde.
Oh well. Whatchyagonnado. This isn't gonna be me whining. It's just been so close it's almost insulting. :D

I wish the rest contestants the best of luck. May the best of you win.

Maybe... just maybe.. It's time that I myself invite for a "little" game with you guys (*hint hint*)
Be preeepaaaaaaared

GM DracLord

Shadow of Death
I liked the idea of Drac sacrificing his points so Epist can swap with Blakers. That didn't matter in the end because i only lost because of the advantage (which i also very very closely didnt get :D) and beeing one or two points short of catching Lorde.
I made a bad gamble.
I should have skip the previous bid (the clues) and use this final bid to swap point.

Unfortunately I won both bid

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
The guessing game was certainly fun for the new captain, at least. He was jovial and joking throughout the whole portion of the boat ride, and showed almost a human face. Yet the boat suddenly lurched until part of the bow of the ship hit the top of the cave wall, bringing everybody back down to earth. The captain turned to the man besides him, the most successful guesser, and asked who he wanted to throw off the boat. "The gull, of course," the man replied, "He can't speak, so he seems like a great choice."
And so the gull was throw off the boat. But as it struggled trying to fly back onto the boat and dodge the dangerous waves, it let out one last harrowing squawk, which sounded to some like, "Why the heck me? I only weigh like 2.3-3.4 pounds! This won't save you at all!"

CHALLENGE 13 - Do You Know Me? - Results

Mirdo has officially been eliminated. This is also a friendly reminder that lateness kills. If mirdo wasn't late that one time, he would have been tied with Lorde.
Challenge 14 should be up shortly.

NinjaPenguin

After that last decision, the captain was furious. The boat was still as bad as before, and a poor gull had to lose its life for it. "You fools are never getting the power to eliminate someone again!" he screamed, "That's all up to me-"
Yet as he said this, a rock in the ocean pierced the hull of the boat, and it fractured into three large pieces, just enough for everyone but one to get safety.
"Well then," the captain remarked, "Looks like it will be easy for us to see who will be eliminated. I'll tell you how to jump pretty soon!"

CHALLENGE 14 - A Fractured Journey

This challenge will be played in three parts. In each part, you will be presented with some challenge. The winner of that challenge will hop aboard one of the boat fragments and advance to the final challenge. It's important to note, however, that after this, one person will be stranded.
In addition, the earlier you save yourself, you get a small advantage in the final challenge.

So be sure, now, to get ready for the first part of Challenge 14. It will be up this afternoon, probably around 5:00 PM EST.

NinjaPenguin

"So the first thing we're doing," the captain shouted, "is jumping onto these fragments. I'll assign them each a moniker. Whoever is best at representing that can stay on the hull. But I don't want fighting. If some of you both choose the same moniker, I will eliminate you from contention in this section."

CHALLENGE 14 - A Fractured Journey - Part 1

In this part, I want you to make something creative. You have three main options (which just so happen to be the old sections of what is now just Creative Works): Smeargle's Canvas, Imposter Professor Oak's Fakes, and the Ruins of Alph. Here all the requirements for all of these:

Smeargle's Canvas:
Make a piece of art that represents this season of TC in some way. It may be somewhat abstract, but if so, please provide an explanation of your artwork so we can understand how it relates to this season of TC.

Impostor Professor Oak's Fakes:
Design a fake Pokemon card (can be any type, Pokemon, Trainer, or Energy) that represents this season of TC in some way (either text-based or image-based is fine). This will likely be abstract, so include how it relates to TC in your submission.

Ruins of Alph:

Write an original work of fiction about this season of TC in a creative format (i.e. not plain writing, something like a journal or screenplay would be great). If unclear how it relates to TC, clarify it in your submission.

Now how is this complicated? Let me explain. If more than one person picks the same format, neither will be eligible to win this part of the challenge. Those who make it past this obstacle will have their entry judged by a distinguished panel of TC and CW experts (and myself)! The two categories on which you will be judged will be Creativity and Execution, and they will be equally weighted.
If everybody picks the same format, Blakers will win the competition as the winner of Future Planning.

The winner of this challenge will be safe, and automatically advance to the final challenge!

Now I'm sure you all want to be sure you aren't picking the same thing, so I'm opening up OC both inside and outside the thread to discuss what option you're picking.

The deadline for your submission is in one week, or Tuesday, November 14th at 8:00 PM EST.

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

Oh, forgot to note that you can communicate outside of thread. I just suggested inside since you want to be sure nobody left picks the same option you do, so communicating with everybody sounds like the best option.

NinjaPenguin

Submissions are over!
The submissions were as follows:
Lorde-Writing
Drac-Faking
Blakers-Art
And
Epist-Faking

Which leaves Lorde and Blakers as the two remaining contestants! Congratulations! The judges will look over your submissions to determine which one they consider best!

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

CHALLENGE 14 - A Fractured Journey - Part 1- Results

The judging is finally here! Your judges are myself and the wonderful @Athena, since Cel still hasn't submitted anything. For the judging, Athena's judging will have double weight compared to my own.

Lorde:

Entry 1 - That Fateful Day
Today was the day. The fateful day I joined a crew of my little town’s best sailors. I’d been relayed by a man that I would be useful on his crew. My town was small, and with a threat like the Drake pirates on their way to plunder our town, we need the most valued treasure of the mythical Diamond Isles. That treasure was the Holy Diamond, which is said to protect any town that has it. It’s myth, and I’m doubtful we’ll find it, but we can’t defeat the Drake pirates in combat, and I desperately needed to escape my family. I’m either being forced into the company of a man, or I’m sitting and taking etiquette classes. Neither of which I wish to be doing, I want to be free. No matter how unlikely we’ll succeed and no matter the danger, I’m free of my troubles at home. The feeling of freedom is all worth it.

Entry 2 - An All Or Nothin’ Crew
Each member of our crew was out to get certain items from each other, and if they acquired those items, their mini-crew would gain points. Our crew, Ogakor, managed to take second and barely avoid elimination. However, us seeing TSM, a well-known sailor from Morgan be dropped off at a nearby island to be sent back to Morgan, we all realized the gravity of these challenges…

Entry 3 - I’m Not Popular
The three mini-crews: Dabu, Chapera, and Ogakor competed in a popularity guessing game to pass the time. I didn’t know these people well, they were, for the most part, experienced Pirates. I was a wealthier girl who just happened to take up sailing. It didn’t help me bond with any of them, we shared nothing! Dabu won the challenge, forcing both Chapera and Ogakor to send a member home. Our crew, Ogakor, all agreed to send Brave Vesperia home, however, Chapera seemed to wish to send me home. In turn, I was eliminated by both them and my own tribe, meaning I was forced to be sent back to my family…

Entry 4 - Morgan
Being sent home from this small village back to Morgan was anything but painful. I felt… invalidated, if anything. All I knew was that even though I was a sailor at heart, I still had a long way to go to become as good as these other sailors. One day, I will get there. That I promise them.

Entry 5 - Return to the Crew
The last week of staying with my family had been rough. I was punished for leaving, my confidence diminished, and my family’s “reputation” was destroyed. As more of the crew was eliminated, I got to know some of them better. By the time the crew returned to Morgan for an announcement, I had been laughing along with them instead of sitting on the sidelines. The captain of the crew, Palutena, announced that up to 2 of us would be able to return. The ousted competed in a challenge against the now two remaining mini-crews, and we placed second. One of us would be able to return. I guess I had laughed enough with the other ousted players, as they voted me to return.

Entry 6 - Highlight
The next day after my return, Palutena gave us a challenge, making us translate lines of a hit song from languages spoken across the world! It was a tough challenge, and neither mini-crew was able to accomplish this. Because of this, I felt the need to assemble the crew against someone: Athena. She was a huge threat to take to the individual game, and thus we didn’t let her stay. The other mini-crew ousted NP, a crew member who would play a key role in the latter days of this crew’s tale…

Entry 7 - Failure Part 2
With only 10 crew members remaining, the captain decided to merge our crews. We competed in another guessing game, where DoS decided the voyage lost its meaning and he decided to return to Morgan. It was a wakeup call to all of those on the crew, that this required the willpower. Sadly for me, I was ousted by the crew once again, choosing to stop pursuing, and be content with how far I went.

Entry 8 - The Drought
For a full month, nothing happened. No one was ousted by the crew, and we heard nothing from them. We began to think they were all killed by a storm. However, such was not the case. The host had been killed, and the crew scrambled to find a new one and continue the journey. However, one of us previously ousted, NP, chose to step up to the plate. In addition to this, LC and Firo, two living members of the crew chose to give up their spots and trade with players more willing. LC ultimately chose Epist, and Firo chose me to return. Again. This was my third shot, something I never believed would happen, but I was getting it. This had to be the time.

Entry 9 - A Fragmented Crew
With only 8 of us remaining at this point, Jesi, TAE, and Celever left the crew to go home one by one. Our crew's fragmented. The journey and the boat were losing their magic. The crew (especially those who had been here since the beginning and never left) were worn out, and the boat was beginning to collapse. Even if we did find the Holy Diamond, it was unlikely we would return to Morgan intact. We participated in another guessing game, where I believed I would fail once again. But to my surprise, my intense strategizing with an ally worked. The biggest threat to all of us was sent packing, and now there were only 4 of us. It meant I’ve outlasted 14 others, and it makes me feel like a true sailor of Morgan. However, while the journey is close to the end, it's not over yet…

A series of journal entries on the events that happened (especially to myself) throughout TC8. This is a vague telling of parts of TC8 from my perspective (writing all of it would've been too much for a challenge such as this), some elements of how the flavor works were determined by myself, while others were taken from the OP and elsewhere.

NP:

Creativity: 7 - I find the diary idea quite fun, and the entries really are great! Entries 1-5 were especially creative, but near the end, it became a summary rather than telling of events from your own perspective. Overall though, it was pretty nice!

Execution: 6 - There is a lot of good things, nice grammar, strong development of the main character at first, and strong narrative voice. My main issue is that the end of the story lost a good deal of that strength I mentioned before. In addition, there were occasional (very) minor inconsistencies with flavor dragging you down a bit.

Athena:

Creativity: 8 - I really like the idea of doing a journal entry based on your experiences in the challenge and I appreciate the creativity you used in giving your own character a backstory and trying to put a narrative spin on the situation. However, I can’t really give full points as writing a journal was one of the examples used in the OP for this particular challenge, so it’s not quite as unique (or ‘creative’, if you will) as if you had thought it up on your own.

Execution: 6 - The journal entry concept is very nice in theory, and you start out strong. However, as the journal goes on, it really seems like less and less effort is put into it, until it just becomes a rote rewriting of each challenge. I would have liked to see more effort put into making it actually feel like a journal, with personal experiences instead of just explanations.

Final Score: 13 2/3

Blakers:

cHMSmaZ6t9FWl1aFG4f4dCLfykkdquZ612CLUxJ4mIdi4dWlDKveYLtxMHCSHLcPxftCbdKHEcwsM5BdkdejI6CvEgtDc5qwzsoOfFsWmOXWWgOfRvSsfs-l_jyr_iVXkPHt_Oph

Masterpiece! XD

Disclaimer: This drawing had minimal effort put into it and is meant to be bad.

The picture contains our ship, as mentioned in the flavor, which I dubbed the SS Diamond, since the Holy Diamond is what we're looking for. The four Pokémon on the ship are the signature Pokémon of the four remaining players. Lucario represents myself, Ninetales represents Lorde, Duskull represents Epist, and Flygon represents Drac (I didn't know for sure, so I referred to RRC4). In the water are the signature Pokémon of the eliminated/dropped competitors who made up the Top 8. Eevee represents TAE, Pikachu represents Jesi, Komala represents Celever (it would've been Phanpy or Graveler, but the in-thread flavor says he's a Komala) and of course the Wingull represents mirdo.

But this drawing wasn't meant to be good; it was a part of a bigger strategy, which I hope you all will see play out once results are announced.

NP:

Creativity: 7
You chose a good idea. The ship is representative of TC and throwing people overboard works both literally and metaphorically.

Execution: 2
I like the color scheme you generally have going, but that’s about it. The Pokemon bring white space around them that easily could be solved by a quick masking job. In addition, I’ve mentioned the walls of the cavern are purple, which isn’t seen here. Oh, and the river would liquify anything touching it, but wtv.

Athena:

Creativity: 9 - I think it’s a good idea to draw a ship as a symbol of the Challenge, especially with the overall themes of C8 and what it represents. I also like that you chose a Pokémon for all of the players that you chose to represent. My only real problem is your use of Lucario for yourself; Lucario has always been used as a symbol for the Challenge as a whole (I mean, you can even just look at the banner in the OP!) so that was kind of a discordant choice.

Execution: 1 - I’m not really sure how you expected to earn a high score from a drawing that very clearly had little effort put into it. Saying that it’s “meant to be bad” and supposedly “part of a bigger strategy” doesn’t change the fact that you pretty much just phoned it in. You got good points for your stylistic theory in the creativity category, but the execution of this particular piece was incredibly poor. I really would have liked to see some actual effort put into this piece.

Final Score: 9 2/3

Which means that the winner, who has advanced to the final challenge, is...
Lorde!

For the record, here are Drac's and Epist's submissions.
pirate-crew-jpg.14219

Represents the start of the Challenge, how we were all distributed into Pirate Ship teams, full of wonder and excitement and ready to start the journey!
TRAINER - SUPPORTER
Thrash Collector

*A Picture of a guy carrying a trash can towards a dump truck on a neighborhood*.

Put 2 Trainer Cards with different names from your discard pile into your hand. You can't use this card if there is another Thrash Collector in your discard pile. Your opponent may draw 2 cards.

[You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).]

Basically, this season is fill with Garbador's Garbotoxin. You must hate that the minute you used your last piece of Field Blower and your opponent attached another Tool the next turn and you can't do anything about now you have this one more chance. Or it could be any card at a price of a supporter if you are willing to use it. To prevent the abuse of this Supporter, there is a limiter of usage and the only way to reuse it if by using other card to retrieve this supporter from your discard pile.. The chance of giving your opponent draw 2 card is a drawback. Dowsing machine require you to discard 2 card to play it but why not allowing your opponents to draw 2 cards for a change.
As this season filled with Garbotoxin I kinda relate it with Thrash. As you have to pick up as a host which may seem like unwanted thrash but you never can truly say something abandoned as Thrash hence why this Supporter let you pick something from discard pile something as precious Field Plower and such which are actually valuable like how this contest is actually valuable although abandoned

The next challenge should be up later today, though I can postpone it because of Thanksgiving. Thoughts from the Americans?
@Blakers
@Epist

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

"Now, let's see how well you can do at dexterity. There aren't many fragments left, so you'll need to both think and act."

CHALLENGE 14 - A Fractured Journey - Part 2

In this part, I will give you a set of clues that have specific submissions. In 24 hours phases, you'll try to answer as many of those clues as possible. For each clue you answer, you'll get a letter. Unscramble those letters to find something related to TC.

Here's what the clues will look like:
Find the OP of his season of TC, and submit the seventh word in the OP.
Play the game Winterbells, and submit a score high than 100 billion.

Note that these are not the real clues. If they were, I would give links and more resources/an actually achieveable score for these games.
If you solved these clues, you would get the letters P & N, which you could unscramble to find the correct answer, NP.

I will accept submissions for 24 hours after I give the clues, and then will give you letters based on the answers you got correct. If one is incorrect, I will tell you. Then, you may either submit more submissions for the clues or attempt to unscramble the letters for the final submission. This will keep going until somebody answers it correctly, and moves into the final challenge. If they do it in the same 24 hour phase, the winner will be the person who submitted the most correct answers to the clues. If that is a tie, the tied players will play another round.

For any games that require you to submit a screenshot, please submit it with a Pokebeach tab and a tab with your name in it.
If your computer can't handle one of these games, please contact me and I can find a replacement for it.

I will post the clues on Sunday at 3:30 PM EST, or as close as I can get to that, since I'll be getting back from a vacation around then. Until then, feel free to ask any questions you wish.

NinjaPenguin

Clues:
Here are the clues. There are somewhere between 1-3 letters which do not have a clue. If you solve every clue, I will give you those letters. I forgot to mention earlier, but you are allowed to have absolutely no help on these answers. In theory, I will give you letters in 24 hours. In practice, it will be closer to 26, but I will only accept submissions made during these first 24 hours.

Clue 1: Submit every past winner of TC. If there was more than one winner in a season or someone won twice, do not name them.
Clue 2: Search for an independent victory not mentioned in the mafia master document (but in a game with results in the master document). Then, submit the name of that player, the mafia game, and their role. This clue is worth two letters.
Clue 3: Play a Random Battle on Pokemon Showdown (against somebody you do not know in any way), and win with either five or six Pokemon remaining. Use a username that is similar to your Pokebeach name and, upon winning, post “I’m [username]” in the chat. Submit the link to the replay for this game.
Clue 4: Play Escape from Gengar’s Mansion, and beat the Challenge Stage having taken less than 125 seconds. Submit a screenshot of this.
Clue 5: Message from TAE: Go to where the second Battleship War was fought… in the misty fog for your next clue. Keep going and choose the top of the two options. Submit a screenshot of a score of at least 85 at that game. This clue is worth two letters.
Clue 6: Search for a request I completely denied. Submit the name of that request, and the post number it was in.
Clue 7: Search for when I shot myself in the foot, literally. Then, submit the name of the host of the mafia game with the most similar theme to that thread’s title (this may be vaguely related, this may not).
Clue 8: Play the Cricket Google Doodle, and score at least 100 points. Submit a screenshot of that score.
Clue 9: Search the spammiest TC thread for the post on Pi Day closest to 3:14 PM EST. Then, submit the post number of that post.
Clue 10: Search for the highest number of votes I’ve achieved on this site (there are two posts that both earn this honor, but only one had anyone quoted in the post). Then, submit the names of the people quoted in the post where I achieved this.

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

Letters were sent.
For reference, the letters form two words when unscrambled.
For Clue 3, forfeits do not count. You must play out the whole match.
For Clue 9, you can find old timestamps by hovering over the date on old posts like this:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

Nobody sent me a submission at all today! Yay!
Do you guys want me to just go ahead and reveal the letters without clues?

Status
Not open for further replies.