Team 'Roids (A Very Simple 2011 VGC Team)

giratina487

It's like a long dream...
Hey everyone. Welcome to Team 'Roids, A Very Simple 2011 VGC Team. This team came about because of me thinking of a very interesting combo, which I will refer to as 'RoidsTurtle, which you will read about later. For now, I will tell you how this team progressed, which is fairly simple.

Spr_5b_620.png

At first, I simply had the idea of building a VGC team, and I knew how effective Fake Out was, especially with its new buff in Gen 5 (increased priority for those who don't know). So, I chose to go with one of the greatest Fake Out users of 5th Gen, Mienshao.

Spr_5b_620.png
Spr_5b_565.png

Next, I knew that Fake Out is the perfect opportunity to set up with a set-up sweeper. I thought of one of the more interesting set-up moves of this Generation, Shell Break. That's when I found Carracosta, probably the best user of Shell Break in my opinion. He's bulky, and even more so with Solid Rock, allowing him to take a hit and be able to come back with a vengeance next turn with Stage 2 Attack, Special Attack, and Speed. The problem was that his speed with the boost was still too low to really matter in the long run, but I had no way to fix it.

Spr_5b_620.png
Spr_5b_565.png
531.png

And then came inspiration. While looking through random abilities, I noticed Simple, which doubles stat modification from Stat-boosting moves. Then I remembered the move Simple Beam, which gives any Pokemon this ability. So I looked up Pokemon with this move, and found Audino, which conveniently had a lot of support moves I could really use, such as Healing Beam and Helping Hand, as well as being decently defensive with 103/86/86 defenses and Healing Heart, which would protect me from Burns etc.

Spr_5b_620.png
645.png
Spr_5b_565.png
531.png

Finally, I decided I needed to move Carracosta to the back row, and think of a way to bring both Audino and Carracosta in at the same time without being damaged. So I chose that I could sacrifice Mienshao and my other Pokemon after doing enough with them. This I chose to do with Explosion. So I found Landorus, which was immune to Earthquake and could SD and Explode.

And so, Team 'Roids was born....

Now, onto the team:

Front Line:

620Kojondo.png

Mienshao @ Fight Jewel
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Inner Focus
EVs: (4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe)
- Fake Out
- Protect
- Hi Jump Kick
- Acrobat

This guy's my Fake Out user, and a good one at that. With Inner Focus, he can't be flinched himself, allowing for uninterrupted disruption of the opponent's first turn, which can often result in a critical blow to their strategy. With his high Attack Stat and Speed Stat, he also makes a great attacker once his primary purpose is done. High Jump Kick is insanely powerful with Fighting Jewel, and Acrobat gains very useful neutral type coverage with it as well as nice damage. His Fake Out allows Landorus to set up a SD, and do some great damage. Also, his High Jump Kick takes out Ferrothorn no problem, even Max Def versions, thus giving me some insurance against something that a team like this usually has problems with.

645Landlos.png

Landorus @ Life Orb
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
Sheer Force
EVs: (4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe)
- Swords Dance
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

This guy's here for a couple of reasons. The main one is to clear the field once doing enough damage. With Explosion, he can cause maximum damage while giving me the chance to mess up my opponent and set up 'RoidsTurtle. Another main reason is overall impressive power and good coverage. To give an example of how powerful this guy's Earthquakes are, here's a nice little damage calculation. He does 54%-65% to Max Def Ferrothorn, the best physical wall of the 5th Generation Pokemon after a SD. And don't forget that this is to BOTH opponents AFTER calculating the damage reduction from hitting both. This is enough for an easy 2KO, but Mienshao does that better. Basically, this guy is really powerful and can do quite a bit of damage with SD STAB Earthquakes.

Back Row:

150px-531Tabunne.png

Audino @ Leftovers
Impish (+Def, -SpA)
Healer
EVs: (252 HP/224 Def/32 Spe)
- Simple Beam
- Healing Beam
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Ah, the first piece of the 'RoidsTurtle strategy. She's got plenty of great moves to help the team out even when not using 'RoidsTurtle. Healing Beam is great in Doubles, allowing for some great tanking. She can use Helping Hand to greatly increase damage ammounts, which becomes useful after 'RoidsTurtle comes out. Protect is to block Landorus's Explosion and Earthquake, as well as Carracosta's, so it doesn't faint too early. Simple beam is for making Carracosta's ability Simple, which is critical to this strategy.

250px-565Abagoura.png

Carracosta @ White Herb
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Solid Rock
EVs: (252 Atk/4 Def/84 SpD/168 Spe)
- Waterfall
- Shell Break
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake

The final piece in the 'RoidsTurtle strategy. Simple and Shell Break plus White Herb equals 4 stages in Atk, SpA, and Spe all in one turn, with no drawbacks. The speed EVs allow him to outrun Agirudaa after a boost, the fastest gen 5 Pokemon. Max attack is obvious, the others are for increasing overall bulk and survivability. His coverage with these moves is great, doing crazy damage to just about anything after a boost. Add to that Healing Beams and Helping Hands from Tabunne and we have a first-class sweeper on our hands.

In case you couldn't figure it out, 'RoidsTurtle is a maneuver in which Audino first gives Carracosta Simple, and Carracosta then proceeds to use Shell Break while regaining the lost stats with White Herb. This essentially gets me a +4 Atk/+4 SpA/+4 Spe Carracosta in one turn. Quick set up, great damage, and all around awesomeness. Add to that it's slight protection from Burn in Healer from Audino, and it becomes a true powerhouse. That. Is 'RoidsTurtle.

That's it guys! Thanks for reading, and make sure to rate and fix!

I would give kojondo u-turn over acrobat. I would also give tabuune some sort of offensive move over helping hand.

I disagree with both, actually.

For the first edit, this is double battle, and switching isn't very helpful in doubles. Plus Fighting and Flying give decent neutral type coverage, much more so than Fighting and Bug. Not to mention that after using Hi Jump Kick and using up Fight Jewel, acrobat's power becomes 110, which is quite good.

For the second, Audino's offensive stats are awful, with base 60 in each. Add to that its offensive movepool is quite awful, and I can do a lot more with multiplying Carracosta's attack by 1.5 than I can by attacking with Tabunne.

I'm not very experienced with Generation 5 VGC metagame, but as far as my rate goes this is a very well rounded team. However, but I'm seeing a slight weakness to Genosect and Hydreigon (Sazandora), especially Scarfed variants. Of course, if you hit Abagoora with Simple beam, its pretty much gg. However, Abagoora won't be able to take a Thunderbolt or Draco Meteor from Genosect and Hydreigon respectively. They can still be dealt with, but there is some risk.

Wow... just wow... I love this strategy. I've been trying to fit Abagoora into my concept team but to no avail. This is truly an impressive strategy.
I have no critiques other than what Chillarmy said. Even then, this team is still extremely powerful.

@Chillarmy Genesect is banned. Also, Mienshao can take out Hydreigon easily, and Landorus's Explosion can as well. Yes, I do have a slight weakness to it, and I really should think of some way to protect Abagoora from it.... I'll think of something and edit later.

EDIT: Just thought of one thing that could help me out. People probably wouldn't use Draco Meteor, because switches practically don't exist in doubles. So that helps Carracosta take the hit a little. With the EVs given, it can definitely survive the hit from Dragon Pulse, but with a major chunk of its HP gone, which means the other Pokemon can easily KO it. So it's still quite a problem, but less so. Still looking for a solution.

@BlueEyedSteelix Thanks for the compliments and reinforcements :D

The only solutions I can think of require more set-up, which is something I REALLY don't want to have to do.... if anyone has any ideas, PLEASE let me know :D

Anyone who wants to challenge this team can just send me a PM, because I really need to test it out.

EDIT: Just realized I have a major weakness to Jellicent, although I'm not sure how much he'll be used in the VGCs.

very nice. i have a few cons though...
1) you rely on carracosta too much (did i spell it wrong?). if it gets knocked out, what then?
2) i know audino/tabunne is supposed to be a supporter, but it will be immobile after getting hit by a taunt. I suggest, well, umm, i uh... really don't know what to suggest actually.... Maybe.... uhg! I don't know!

You have very good ideas, though!:D carracosta will DESTROY anything after simple beam. Nice job!!!

To answer your "edit", Jellicent has the ability Water Absorb, which can be paired up with a partner that know Surf. Also, Jellicent can learn Wring Out AND Water Spout.

Back