Ruling Team Magma's Secret Base

Dark Espeon

Dark Avatar
Have some questions regarding Team Magma's Secret Base:

(1) Does it activate when I use Captivating Poké Puff to bench Basic Pokémon in my opponents hand?
(2) Does it activate when I use Bridgette to search my deck for Basic Pokémon and put them on my bench?

From my understanding of the effect of the stadium Captivating Poké Puff should active the stadium but Bridgette would bypass the damage resulting from benching the Pokémon search from the deck. Please let me know whether this interpretation is correct. Thanks for the assistance in advance.

TMSB activates when a Pokemon comes from the hand. CPP would trigger it; Brigette would not.

TMSB activates when a Pokemon comes from the hand. CPP would trigger it;

Are you certain on this? Source? I was trying out a few strategies based on this once I noticed the potential synergy - you put out a Magma Base, then you Puff basics onto the bench so the opponent can't play around the stadium. But in the PTCGO Client it does not place any damage like I'd have expected.

TMSB text - "Whenever any player puts a Basic Pokémon (except for Team Magma Pokémon) from his or her hand onto his or her Bench, put 2 damage counters on that Pokémon."
Poké Puff text - "Your opponent reveals his or her hand. Put any number of Basic Pokémon you find there onto your opponent’s Bench."

Now that makes me think the effect I was hoping for would not actually work, since you put your opponent's Pokemon onto their bench, rather than them doing it. And that the Client was right to not add damage.

Are you saying it definitely should? (i.e. should I complain about this to support so they might fix it? and I can get back to this sneaky idea of mine :devil: )

Are you certain on this? Source? I was trying out a few strategies based on this once I noticed the potential synergy - you put out a Magma Base, then you Puff basics onto the bench so the opponent can't play around the stadium. But in the PTCGO Client it does not place any damage like I'd have expected.

TMSB text - "Whenever any player puts a Basic Pokémon (except for Team Magma Pokémon) from his or her hand onto his or her Bench, put 2 damage counters on that Pokémon."
Poké Puff text - "Your opponent reveals his or her hand. Put any number of Basic Pokémon you find there onto your opponent’s Bench."

Now that makes me think the effect I was hoping for would not actually work, since you put your opponent's Pokemon onto their bench, rather than them doing it. And that the Client was right to not add damage.

Are you saying it definitely should? (i.e. should I complain about this to support so they might fix it? and I can get back to this sneaky idea of mine :devil: )

(Back reading the thread cause I was bored, and I found this)
Anyway, CPP should bypass TMSB, based on the card text. It says that the Basic Pokémon must come from his/her hand, played onto his/her bench by the same player. Since CPP allows you to put a Basic Pokémon from your opponent's hand onto his/her bench, it bypasses the effect.

Yeah I figured as much. To take the damage the card explicity says you have to play it from your hand. Meanwhile with the Puff you are doing it on for your opponent so it doesn't add up.

Would have been nice though.

Sorry, but that's not correct.

There is no specific ruling on this particular interaction, but there is one that follows the same principle:

Fin Luster (Lumineon - Stormfront)

Q. If I use Lumineon's Poke-POWER "Fin Luster" to place a basic fire type pokemon from my opponent's hand onto his or her bench would Miasma Valley place 2 damage counters on it?
A. Yes, you would place the 2 damage counters for Miasma Valley. Despite the wording of Fin Luster, it is still the opponent putting their own Pokemon onto their own Bench. (Apr 16, 2009 PUI Rules Team)

Until an official ruling occurs, PokePop says we're to follow this one.

Sorry to dig out an older thread but I thought I'd save the trouble of re-posting the same question.

Does anyone know if the ruling for Team Magma's Secret Base Vs Captivating Poke Puff has been confirmed?

PokePop comparing it to Fin Luster as PMJ already mentioned is the closest thing to the official ruling on that particular integration at this time. They work almost exactly the same so I don't know that an official ruling for the puff will ever be needed.

Here's the link to the current compendium:
http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-bw.html

Here's the link to the prior compendium where the Fin Luster ruling is:
http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-lvx.html

Thank you mate. Very useful link to the Compendium.

The final post in the PokeGym thread, posted last year, notes that the ruling is "currently under review". I suppose my question was whether the result of that review (if there really was one) is known?

For now, I'll happily assume that Captivating Poké Puff triggers TMSB :)

Back