Pokémon Tapu Koko - The Electric Chicken

Professor Palutena

The Queen
785.png

Type: Electric/Fairy
Ability: Electric Surge
Stats: 70 HP / 115 Atk / 85 Def / 95 Sp. Atk / 75 Sp. Def / 130 Spe

Notable Moves: Brave Bird, Thunderbolt, Thunder, Volt Switch, U-Turn, Dazzling Gleam, Grass Knot, Calm Mind, Roost, Taunt, Work Up, Hidden Power Fire/Ice, Nature's Madness

If you've played any amount of SM OU, you know Koko. It fires Thunder(bolts) off of a seemingly underwhelming Special Attack that just so happens to OHKO your Genesects every time. :< It's quickly becoming the premier Electric type in OU, usurping Thunderus from its role. They're actually built similarly, though Koko outdamages Thundurus despite the 20 point Sp.A difference due to Electric Terrain. A lack of SR weakness helps too.

Here are a few sets I've seen:

Special Attacker @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam / Volt Switch
- Grass Knot / Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice / Fire

Mixed Attacker @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 Atk / 244 SpA / 252 Spe (16 Atk 2HKOs Max Def Mega Venusaur w/ Brave Bird)
Naive
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Fire / Work Up
- Dazzling Gleam
- Brave Bird / U-Turn

Calm Mind @ Life Orb / Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice / Fire
- Roost / Dazzling Gleam / Grass Knot

How are you finding Tapu Koko? What teammates are you using with it? What are you using to counter it?

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
While it's outclassed by the other sets, Koko has all the tools necessary for a stallbreaker set with Taunt / Roost / Nature's Madness and high speed. It shuts down Ferrothorn and Chansey, who are both solid answers to the other sets. Tapu Fini can do this a little better thanks to immunity to status, but it lacks recovery and the ability to wear down walls like Koko can.

The only set that I think is effective is the mixed set since it can muscle past checks like M-Venu and Amoonguss. I've found that completely special sets are usually redundant with teammates such as Xurkitree and A-Raichu. Mixed set can also wear down A-Marowak better, which is extremely important for any Electric-type this generation.

TheRealBro..

Have not yet tested out Tapu Koko, but I have played my fair share of battle spot battles and Koko is indeed everywhere. It's electric fairy coverage is very annoying because dragons can not take a plus 1 (electric terrain) thunderbolt plus a dazzling gleam. There's also a surprise factor because it can go physical.

On another note, Tapu Lele I have been using a lot and it's an absolute beast;

@ Choice scarf/max Sp. Attack with modest nature/130 speed/126 Hp (for some bulk and you still outspeed greninja)

Psychic
Psyshock
HP Fire
Moonblast

It's psychic/psyshock (yes, both because they actually cover very different threats) OHKO's pretty much everything that isn't resistant to it or very bulky and even if something lives after it, you still have the bulk (and resistances) to almost Always be able to take a hit or two. Sucker punch users? No, doesn't work. Love it.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
While it's outclassed by the other sets, Koko has all the tools necessary for a stallbreaker set with Taunt / Roost / Nature's Madness and high speed. It shuts down Ferrothorn and Chansey, who are both solid answers to the other sets. Tapu Fini can do this a little better thanks to immunity to status, but it lacks recovery and the ability to wear down walls like Koko can.

The only set that I think is effective is the mixed set since it can muscle past checks like M-Venu and Amoonguss. I've found that completely special sets are usually redundant with teammates such as Xurkitree and A-Raichu. Mixed set can also wear down A-Marowak better, which is extremely important for any Electric-type this generation.
I'm using the Brave Bird set on a rain team right now and it's really good. Helps beat Tang and Amoong for a Manaphy sweep.

@TheRealBro Lele's thread is coming so let's leave this one for Koko.