Help Tapu Koko-GX

President Pokemon

Aspiring Trainer
Is there any cards that could work strategically well with Tapu Koko-GX? Also, how can I boost an electric type's attack?
Tapu Koko-GX – Lightning – HP170
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Aero Trail
Once during your turn (before your attack), when you play this card from your hand onto your Bench, you may move any number of [L] Energy attached to your Pokemon to this Pokemon. If you move any Energy, switch this Pokemon with your Active Pokemon.

[L][L][C] Sky Claw: 130 damage

[L][L][C] Tapu Thunder GX: Does 50 damage times the number of Energy attached to all of your opponent’s Pokemon. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack per game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: none
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Is there any cards that could work strategically well with Tapu Koko-GX? Also, how can I boost an electric type's attack?
Tapu Koko-GX – Lightning – HP170
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Aero Trail
Once during your turn (before your attack), when you play this card from your hand onto your Bench, you may move any number of [L] Energy attached to your Pokemon to this Pokemon. If you move any Energy, switch this Pokemon with your Active Pokemon.

[L][L][C] Sky Claw: 130 damage

[L][L][C] Tapu Thunder GX: Does 50 damage times the number of Energy attached to all of your opponent’s Pokemon. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack per game.)

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: none
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Not sure what others think, but when I look at this card, I see a "sweep" pokemon rather than a main pokemon. Basically, it sure looks like it is meant to chill in your deck / hand until you need to blow something up and then you want it out of your way ASAP rather than being stuck using Sky Claw. Sticking within its type (man, I am so glad Lightning is finally getting some love), Raikou is pretty obvious. Going outside of type though, what about something like Kingdra EX? I don't know if it would work, but the biggest drawback of Kingdra (there are a lot) has always been the fact that you need a fat 4 energy on it to do damage and double dragon energy does absolutely nothing to boost its damage output. So, a card that could have been an absolute T2 monster had dragon energy been allowed to count towards its scale is now fully reliant on basic energy. That's a HUGE no no against decks like Yveltal and M Mewtwo (not to mention speed decks like M Ray / M Gard). But if you could start Raikou, do some damage, slap down a Koko, GX attack, then Ninja Boy into a Kingdra for a sweep the following turn? That could be kind of cool. Not sure how doable or viable that is, but we are just throwing things out there right? :)

In Standard, there isn't much to boost Lightning Pokemon attacks outside of Kukui, Fighting Fury Belt (for Basics) and the upcoming Choice Band against EX/GX Pokemon. That said, there are ways to quickly set up a Tapu Koko-GX, like Max Elixir, Electrode (EVO), and even Magnezone (BKT) or Vikavolt.

On Lightning partners, Raikou, Jolteon-EX, and, if it gets released in the US, Ash's Pikachu-GX, can benefit from a consistent attacker. Plus, they can easily be Ninja Boy'd into play after you play Tapu Koko-GX. Non-Lightning partners, such as Tauros-GX, Tapu Lele-GX, and Regirock (XY Promo), can benefit the deck in different ways, depending on how you build it. Tauros-GX can combo with Ninja Boy and KO your opponent's Active with Rage/Mad Bull GX. Tapu Lele-GX can search out the Ninja Boy, Ace Trainer, or whatever Supporter you need while being a viable tertiary attacker. Regirock (XY Promo) has an Ancient Trait that prevents Items and Supporters from targeting it, meaning it will always hold the Energy cards until it is either KOed by an Ability or KOed by Bench damage.

There is probably more combos I am missing, but it is a starting point.

My initial idea was to pair up Tapu Koko-GX and Tapu Lele-GX, but I cannot think of others Pokemon that could be helpful. As D2B2WIN1 and Fayld stated, Raikou, Max Elixer, and either Vikavolt or Magnezone. I feel like those Stage 2 Pokemon would be clunky, but I guess they could be useful. Stadium-wise, I think Rough Seas will be key until it rotates out, Aether Conservation will jump in.

For fun, I might try to pair up Tapu Koko-GX and Tapu Bulu-GX with Aether Conservation. I feel like the only thing keeping Tapu Koko-GX from being very versatile is the fact that it cannot take any energy. That would really make this deck awesome.

My initial thought was to run it in a "turbo toolbox build", utilizing max elixirs to accelerate, and then partnering tapu koko with ninja boy targets (Tauros, Lugia, etc) to take advantage of the free switch and energy move. With cards like tapu lele making the ninja boy card more consistent it could be a pretty efficient offensive deck.

I'm looking forward to the release of Acerola - in theory, it will combine well with Tapu Koko-GX.

As long as the opponent can't OHKO Tapu Koko-GX, one can constantly heal and cycle attackers. We'll have to see how it works in practice, mind.

Pokemon: 7
4 Tapu Koko GX
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Shaymin EX

Trainers: 42
2 Sycamore
2 N
2 Lysandre
2 Lillie
2 Professor Kukui
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
4 Trainers' Mail
4 Max Elixir
4 Puzzle of Time
2 Max Potion
2 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
1 Super Rod
3 Choice Band
2 Aether Paradise Conservation Area

Energy: 11
11 Lightning

Here's a list I've been contemplating.

IMO, you have some interesting options to review and test. Under "normal" circumstances, 3 turns are needed to get Tapu Koko GX completely powered-up. This is not "ideal" in the current game format. So, any type of energy-attachment acceleration would be both helpful and advantageous. Following are a few options to consider:
  1. Magnezone. Although its a Stage 2 Pokémon, it can definitely provides Energy-attachment acceleration allowing you to potentially get multiple Tapu Koko GX setup quickly. You'll also need to run a few Clemont (critical in supporting this strategy).
  2. Lurantis GX. A Stage 1, Grass Pokémon whose Flower Supply attack (just G energy cost) inflicts 40 damage, but also recovers 2 Basic, discarded energy and allows you to attach them to your Pokémon any way you like. Just as important as providing energy-attachment acceleration is the fact that Lurantis GX can also counter some "top" decks like Lapras GX.
  3. Max Elixir. Strictly Item-based, energy-attachment acceleration that has at least a chance of failure due to the number of available Basic energy in your deck and the corresponding size of your deck at the time you play the Item. There's also a 100% chance of failure should you be Item-locked. "Thinning out" your deck early game enhances your chances of success.
Is there any cards that could work strategically well with Tapu Koko-GX?
IMO, again you have options and those that first come to mind are:
  • Tauros GX. This Pokémon could be a great starter - some players will avoid attacking it due to its potentially severe retaliation response. So, this Pokémon could buy you time to setup your Tapu Koko GX.
  • Tapu Koko. This is another L, Basic Pokémon that can inflict damage onto all opponent's Pokémon for just CC energy cost.
  • Jolteon EX. Can be used to "wall" opponent's attacking Basic Pokémon.
  • Wobbuffet (Bide Barricade). Its Ability (when active) can counter non-Psychic Pokémon Abilities and can inflict damage based upon existing damage on the Defending Pokémon. So, a Sky Fall - Psychic Assault combo can KO almost any Pokémon in the game now.
I hope you find these comments helpful.

Steve Guthrie, a former writer here, has a list already on Tapu Koko. It is more of lightning toolbox, but it shows what potential lightning has.
Video can be found on his channel World Renowned Heretic

I'd like to point out that tapu koko's gx attack is very nuke so playing it with tauros gx is not a the best idea

I'd like to point out that tapu koko's gx attack is very nuke so playing it with tauros gx is not a the best idea
While Tauros can still be good Mad Bull GX is a bit redundant as a nuke with Koko. In some respects both still rely on your opponent for both their GX attacks to hit big numbers. It does still have Rage, but I don't know if at that point it's worth a spot.

Have you tried using regirock promo with exp share? acerola might make it a decent hit and heal attacker

Since i saw this card for the first time, I have been looking forward to building a deck around it. I was thinking a good old quad-koko with a lele, shaymin and raikou for the seven prize game. Then just play a bunch of disruption and max potions/super scoop ups. With the aether stadium and now weakness, few pokemon can ko koko in one hit.. and of course, when acerola comes out, it will be a staple in the deck

My idea is to partner it with 2 Drampa GX along with 1 Tapu Lele GX and a Carbink from Fates Collide. Why? Turn One you want a Tapu koko Gx in your Active then Search for a Tapu Lele Gx for a supporter like Lillie. Then use Max Elixir to run thru your deck to power up Lele GX this will give you an advantage that your opponent that itll be your attacker. Then Attach a basic energy card its up to you if you want it in your Koko or Lele and it depends on the situation. Use Lillie and use items. In your Second turn assuming that your active koko is dealt with damage. Go for another Koko GX and again it depends on the situation and the actual cards that you have in your hand. If you have ninja boy go for it and Change the New Active Koko with the Energies into a Drampa Gx along with a choice band itll do 180 Damage. Then next turn assuming that your Drampa GX has a Damage search for a Koko Gx Attach the energies and attack or use max potion in the other pokemon that has damage on it and repeat. This would be huge and this is a personal idea of course itll be big if Acerola would be legal and super scoop up. I hope my Idea and my upcoming deck helps you. Shaymin Ex would be good too for an optional draw power but assuming that itll be rotated out i didnt included it here. And the Carbink is to protect your energies from being discarded we all know that energy disruption decks is an IN thing nowadays so I included one tech. Thats all.

Pokemon: 7
4 Tapu Koko GX
2 Tapu Lele GX
1 Shaymin EX

Trainers: 42
2 Sycamore
2 N
2 Lysandre
2 Lillie
2 Professor Kukui
4 Ultra Ball
4 VS Seeker
4 Trainers' Mail
4 Max Elixir
4 Puzzle of Time
2 Max Potion
2 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
1 Super Rod
3 Choice Band
2 Aether Paradise Conservation Area

Energy: 11
11 Lightning

Here's a list I've been contemplating.
I'd drop the lills for sycamors, and add raikou

My idea is to partner it with 2 Drampa GX along with 1 Tapu Lele GX and a Carbink from Fates Collide. Why? Turn One you want a Tapu koko Gx in your Active then Search for a Tapu Lele Gx for a supporter like Lillie. Then use Max Elixir to run thru your deck to power up Lele GX this will give you an advantage that your opponent that itll be your attacker. Then Attach a basic energy card its up to you if you want it in your Koko or Lele and it depends on the situation. Use Lillie and use items. In your Second turn assuming that your active koko is dealt with damage. Go for another Koko GX and again it depends on the situation and the actual cards that you have in your hand. If you have ninja boy go for it and Change the New Active Koko with the Energies into a Drampa Gx along with a choice band itll do 180 Damage. Then next turn assuming that your Drampa GX has a Damage search for a Koko Gx Attach the energies and attack or use max potion in the other pokemon that has damage on it and repeat. This would be huge and this is a personal idea of course itll be big if Acerola would be legal and super scoop up. I hope my Idea and my upcoming deck helps you. Shaymin Ex would be good too for an optional draw power but assuming that itll be rotated out i didnt included it here. And the Carbink is to protect your energies from being discarded we all know that energy disruption decks is an IN thing nowadays so I included one tech. Thats all.

I don't get why you'd want ninja boy in Koko deck since you can't use the ability?
And are you talking about using Drampa's second attack which deals more damage if there is damage on your bench? In which case you wouldn't want to max potion...?

I don't get why you'd want ninja boy in Koko deck since you can't use the ability?
And are you talking about using Drampa's second attack which deals more damage if there is damage on your bench? In which case you wouldn't want to max potion...?
You do it to have Koko in the deck again so you can grab it for the ability again later, while tossing something like Tauros in its place.

Back