Media Super Mario Run

Celever

Wheeeee~
Super Mario Run is the new mobile game released exclusively for Apple in its current stage. It's a standard 2D Mario platformer -- with a twist! Mario is always moving forward, and the player just makes him jump, or spin in the air, by tapping! It's designed so that it can be played with one hand. The timer is also a lot more prevalent in this app than it is in the main series, and oftentimes serves as one of the most difficult obstacles to overcome. This is great, though, as it keeps the levels short -- just like mobile apps really should be.

What do you guys think to this new game? Do you like it, or if you haven't had the chance to play it yet, are you looking forward to its eventual Android release? What new Nintendo franchises would you like to see follow suit and end up with a mobile release too?

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
So far, I've really enjoyed it! (I have not advanced to the payed section yet, so my opinion is incredibly subject to change). It has a good mix of classic Mario, and exciting modes that finally convince you to collect coins (and it has no "Game Over", which is a welcome addition). The toad collecting aspect makes really good use of the tricks included.
I would personally like to see a Kirby game for mobile, since his versatility and fun control schemes should adapt well to that format.

J

Juliacoolo

I can't pay money for a mobile game that requires a constant internet connection to play.

I'm with you on this. I'm also generally appalled with the brevity of the demo, and the relative lack of gameplay you do get for ten dollars. In the case of the demo, it's not even enough to really find out if you enjoy the game. Can you imagine that weak of a demo generating sales for any game other mobile game other than Mario? As for the full version, there are so many games with triple the content at a tenth of the price. I understand that Ninetendo's intellectual property warrants a premium, but I think they really overpriced it and screwed up the business model.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
I'm with you on this. I'm also generally appalled with the brevity of the demo, and the relative lack of gameplay you do get for ten dollars. In the case of the demo, it's not even enough to really find out if you enjoy the game. Can you imagine that weak of a demo generating sales for any game other mobile game other than Mario? As for the full version, there are so many games with triple the content at a tenth of the price. I understand that Ninetendo's intellectual property warrants a premium, but I think they really overpriced it and screwed up the business model.
I think their business model is "It has Mario in the title. People will buy it".

And it's worked thus far.

VinculumStellarum

Hello Tomorrow, going well? Any luck?
Ehh, I haven't been interested in the game enough to play it. I can see they've changed up the typical runner app formula, but even with that, it doesn't interesting to me, although this could be because I don't play mobile games to begin with. Always having to have wifi to play for a runner game isn't something I want to deal with, too. Far as I can remember, I could play Sonic Run perfectly fine without wifi, but it's been a while since I touched that.

I can't pay money for a mobile game that requires a constant internet connection to play.
Exactly. I already don't want to pay for Pokémon GO Poké Balls and Lure Modules; am I really going to pay $10 for a mobile runner game? For that, they may as well give away a data plan with it. That's an absurd price for a mobile game, and I see no reason to pay that much money for it.

I understand that Ninetendo's intellectual property warrants a premium, but I think they really overpriced it and screwed up the business model.
This has been the same case for Miitomo. What substance does it even have? You just answer questions on it and see how others answered the questions. I'm pretty sure they had some sort of paid bonus in there (I think it was those tickets for the pachinko games or whatever), and the games died super-fast. It came out in March, and by June, no one I knew played it anymore. I think Super Mario Run is going to end the same way.

In the end, I may consider downloading Super Mario Run just to try it out. If I do, I'll post my thoughts here. I still think Sonic Run is going to prevail, though.

What new Nintendo franchises would you like to see follow suit and end up with a mobile release too?
Rhythm Heaven. We already have games like Geometry Dash, which are simple rhythm games where you just have to tap. Nintendo could easily follow suit with this and make a game similar to Rhythm Heaven DS (which used touch controls, like tapping, holding, and flicking), which could start off as a bit of a fleshed-out demo and have sets of minigames as DLC for $1.99 or so. I would love to see something like that, seeing as I'm already a huge fan of Rhythm Heaven.

J

Juliacoolo

I think their business model is "It has Mario in the title. People will buy it".

And it's worked thus far.

My shares of Nintendo say otherwise :p Current stock prices reflect mere expectations of future earnings, of course, but SMR is still from the hit that most expected it to be.

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Exactly. I already don't want to pay for Pokémon GO Poké Balls and Lure Modules; am I really going to pay $10 for a mobile runner game? For that, they may as well give away a data plan with it. That's an absurd price for a mobile game, and I see no reason to pay that much money for it.
There is quality in the title and I probably would pay 10 bucks for it. Assuming that I could actually use it outside of my house though. Nintendo does have standards and it is reflected by their price.

See What Mario Run would've looked like as a free game. At worst, you'll get a cringy laugh.

My shares of Nintendo say otherwise :p Current stock prices reflect mere expectations of future earnings, of course, but SMR is still from the hit that most expected it to be.
Really? I was under the impression that this was one of their most successful software launches in recent history (40 million in 4 days is I believe what was quoted). This is more than all Wii U software in the console's 4 year history.

J

Juliacoolo

There is quality in the title and I probably would pay 10 bucks for it. Assuming that I could actually use it outside of my house though. Nintendo does have standards and it is reflected by their price.

See What Mario Run would've looked like as a free game. At worst, you'll get a cringy laugh.

Really? I was under the impression that this was one of their most successful software launches in recent history (40 million in 4 days is I believe what was quoted). This is more than all Wii U software in the console's 4 year history.

And 14 million in sales from those downloads. 3% buy rate seems low for the first three days of a game of Mario's pedigree. You're right in that it's a success overall, but people expected this to push Pokemon Go figures, and it's nowhere close.

VinculumStellarum

Hello Tomorrow, going well? Any luck?
I actually read through it, and if I've got to be honest, that would seem a lot like a mix of Clash of Clans and Sonic Run, but more nag-y. That honestly seems pretty annoying, but I personally would probably just end up playing the first few levels for fun and then just either click off ads or stop playing once I got to the point where I needed to pay. Heck, that's probably what I'll do with Super Mario Run to begin with. I can believe that something coming from Nintendo would have some sort of quality, but I don't see why that quality should keep me playing. I haven't played the game for now, though, so my opinions are probably moot to the point.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
I'm just gonna say, I've paid the 10 bucks for the rest of the game. It's not at all good. The lack of challenge and interest in any gameplay makes the 10 dollars feel like you should have spent 5. The game was fairly boring, uninteresting, and lackluster of any sort of challenge. Not to mention the communication methods are so stupid it's unbelievable. You have to compete from 3 people you don't know, versus going live head to head with a friend. The game is just overall really bad...