News 'Sun and Moon Strengthening Expansion Pack'

In my opinion, Bewear-GX is quite nice. No risk, no reward, amirite?

And its GX attack isn't so bad, either. It guarantees a full discard of your opponent's Pokemon. You even have the power to choose if you have a Lysandre in hand.
If you take a look at Lurantis-GX, you have to overload it for the attack to be a guarantee KO. Gumshoos-GX, pray for your opponent to overload their own Pokemon. Lycanroc-GX, 200 damage is not enough for some Pokemon AND you have to discard 2 energies. Lunala-GX, granted that you can take the prize and hit anywhere, but it's stage 2 and it costs 3 Psychic energies specifically, but you can only choose a Basic AND it must not be a Pokemon-GX, so you can't get rid of that threatening Tauros-GX on the bench, too bad!

I just don't see him being more useful than a lot of the other cards that we've seen come from this set. Granted, the GX attack is at the very minimum interesting, that's simply not enough to compare it to stronger cards like Tauros-GX, Lurantis-GX, Primarina-GX, etc., who all provide much more utility as a whole. I'm not saying this can't fit somewhere, quite frankly, you can play anything if you put enough effort in to it (yes, I mean anything), but I personally feel that from a competitive standpoint, this probably will end up as a niche tech at best (assuming someone wants to tech 2-4 spots for a 1-1/2-2 line-up).

Still, I suppose stopping retreats is still a good ability. I just REALLY wish the damage was a tad higher.

-Asmer

I'm going to trawl eBay for that Hau FA (I love Alolan Raichu) as I already have a box on pre-order form AmiAmi. Can anyone suggest a better way to get hold of that promo?

I hope we get a Toucannon, Turtonator, Kommo-o, Tsareena ... well every fully evolved Pokemno GX really ;P

I wonder how the tcg will handle Ultra Beasts. If they'll get their own kind of cards? regular cards? GX?

I'd really like to see a Alolan Raichu GX with both Electric and Psychic. We saw a brief return to dual-types in XY11 that was really cool. A lovely full art of this with yellow and purple would be fantastic. I'm looking forward to me Alolan exclusives too. It's sad to see SM and SM+ waste space on Pokémon that we've had in XY and earlier already. Where's the Alolan Marowak for example?

Bewear Bewear how I wished your normal attacks were better. Yes the GX attack doesn't give you a prize unless they have support like Magerna EX or Twisted Spoon it flat out discards an entire Pokemon. Lunala GX can only KO Non-GX Basics with it's GX so making a Colorless Stage 1 Pokemon able to KO anything would be a pretty fast ramp in power.

What REALLY hurts is that it's not a Fighting Pokemon: all of it's power issue would be different if it was able to use Strong Energy and Regirock EX.

I'll add to @Lanstar 's post by stating a couple cards I was theorizing as partners for Toxapex-GX.
First and foremost, and I'm extremely sad no one has mentioned this yet... the new Rayquaza Promo from SM1 helps set this card up so much. For a DCE, it attaches 2 Basic Energy from your Discard Pile to a Benched Pokemon. Any Benched Pokemon. Granted, I would probably toss it in to something that utilizes Basic Energy much better (Hint: M Mewtwo-Y), but that's not the point since we're currently discussing Toxapex-GX.

Secondly, most decks will most likely be running Tauros-GX at a minimum of a 1-of. The card is too versatile and strong to not run. That means that you also have the ability to use it as a front liner for Toxapex. Fighting Fury Belt becomes much more useful with both Rayquaza and Tauros-GX in the deck, meaning it can go in too. Heck, you can run the good Mewtwo-EX in this as well considering you have a bunch of Psychic Energy that can now be accelerated, meaning you can Scale Shatter Shot fairly easily (and actually use Damage Swap fairly easily as well). There's 3 Front Line Pokemon all ready and I'm sure we can find more.

Finally, and most importantly... I feel like Toxapex is being misjudged. This isn't a Pokemon that's meant to be an All-In "Sweeper". This is an extremely tank-like Pokemon that, much like in Sun and Moon, can spread a lot of damage over the course of the game and allow something else to bring in the KOs. If you look at its attacks, it's all about damage spreading. First attack? 4 Coin Flips, but for an extremely efficient energy cost and really good damage considering. Poison ticks for 10 damage counters, which is insane during the mid/late game when your opponent is running lower on options. Heck, even its GX attack is all about stalling. 150 damage and your opponent's Pokemon cannot TOUCH Toxapex-GX without some sort of Pokemon Ranger or Lysandre play, and even then, 150 is not Instant KO range. So then, what does that make Toxapex-GX? It makes him good, playable, and very solid if you utilize him in a deck that likes having assistance with damage. What cards like that kind of thing? Taurox-GX, Mewtwo-EX, and Rayquaza SM1 all seem to fall in to that category.

By the way, did I mention that they were all Basic Pokemon? xP

Regardless, I think Toxapex-GX has a few places it can call home (even more than my obvious ploy to get people to play Mewtwo-EX/Tauros-GX/Toxapex-GX/Rayquaza) and given enough time, someone, somewhere will find something we aren't thinking about right now that works very well (much like a LOT of cards in Sun and Moon. Set is seriously full of good tools). I seriously can't wait to see all the brews this year.

Either way, have fun and enjoy more theoretical brewing, ya'll!

-Asmer

Too many Pokemon in the deck, too inconsistent.
Why would you not just run a M Mewtwo deck?
You should always be looking to attach your energy to Mewtwo; also DCEs don't work with Toxapex in the first place, so why would you be running them?
3 Psychic energy on the M Mewtwo will do 100 damage... which is the same as Toxapex, if they cure the poison.
Assuming your opponent is also attaching energy, it would be even more. I just don't see the point.

It's a matter of efficiency, and you're basically throwing a Stage 1 that requires dedicated set-up... into a shell that's already a full deck.

If it ever becomes meta, it will be easily countered.
There's an item card that heals 20 and removes conditions, the already popular Pokemon Center Lady, along with several cards that prevent conditions.

I stand by my original statement... this card is playable. Casually.
It's not competitively viable.

Too many Pokemon in the deck, too inconsistent.
Why would you not just run a M Mewtwo deck?
I'll start by quoting something I posted in the thing you quoted...

Granted, I would probably toss it in to something that utilizes Basic Energy much better (Hint: M Mewtwo-Y), but that's not the point since we're currently discussing Toxapex-GX

We aren't discussing M Mewtwo-Y, but Toxapex-GX. Granted, I still think M Mewtwo-Y is a better deck, but that's still not the point.

You should always be looking to attach your energy to Mewtwo; also DCEs don't work with Toxapex in the first place, so why would you be running them?
The same reason a lot of older decks would run DCE with techs like Mewtwo-EX NXD. If you balance your utilization, it typically balances out.

3 Psychic energy on the M Mewtwo will do 100 damage... which is the same as Toxapex, if they cure the poison.
Assuming your opponent is also attaching energy, it would be even more. I just don't see the point.
Once again, this is a discussion about Toxapex-GX.

It's a matter of efficiency, and you're basically throwing a Stage 1 that requires dedicated set-up... into a shell that's already a full deck.
Actually, no. What I suggested was a deck based around setting up Toxapex-GX for later uses in the game, like most slower set-up decks typically function.

If it ever becomes meta, it will be easily countered.
There's an item card that heals 20 and removes conditions, the already popular Pokemon Center Lady, along with several cards that prevent conditions.
I'd argue about the "easily countered" thing, but I'm already starting to wonder how much of my post you actually understood vs how much you assumed my point meant...

I stand by my original statement... this card is playable. Casually.
Assuming this isn't simply aimed at the whole community... um... why would you state this at all?

It's not competitively viable.
The fact that you put this in Bold now shows me that you did not comprehend my statement whatsoever. First and foremost, I will counter your assumption with the assumption that you were implying that I feel this is a Top Tier Meta strategy and state that I feel this can be a great Rogue deck if people put in the effort, but that when it comes down to it, people can and will run it at some level. What that level is, I have no idea because we simply aren't in the future quite yet. Will this beat fast decks? I doubt it as well. Does that make this card and any strategies around this card "unplayable"? Well, if Mega Audino-EX can win Worlds, I'm sure this can do SOMETHING. Or maybe not. We'll never know if no one bothers to try.

I'll state this as well since I'm on a rant now. This mentality that Pokebeachers seem to have about being extremely, pardon the pun, "Black and White" about cards is extremely bad for the community. Granted, this section is completely based off of an assumption that you, @Ecourts , are making an assumption that I find this competitively viable, in which we would have to go in to a long section about what defines "competitively viable", which is not for this thread, and if that assumption is false, then ignore this if you will.

Either way, to each their own. Enjoy, everyone.

-Asmer

The Lurantis is insane under the right conditions. So have the basic form of Lurantis on the Active and use a Rare Candy on it. Slap a Choice Band on it and use the Professor Kukui combined with its ability (that's 80+20+30+20 on one turn, which is..) You'll do 150 damage. Yeah. 150. That's enough to defeat the Ninja of Water in its BREAK form, OHKO. Double against water (talking about Ninja Blitz), 300. THREE. HUNDRED. YEAH. I NEED TO ORGANIZE MY BINDER WHEN THIS EGOMANIAC COMES OUT. IN ENGLISH.

I'll start by quoting something I posted in the thing you quoted...

We aren't discussing M Mewtwo-Y, but Toxapex-GX. Granted, I still think M Mewtwo-Y is a better deck, but that's still not the point.

The same reason a lot of older decks would run DCE with techs like Mewtwo-EX NXD. If you balance your utilization, it typically balances out.

Once again, this is a discussion about Toxapex-GX.

Actually, no. What I suggested was a deck based around setting up Toxapex-GX for later uses in the game, like most slower set-up decks typically function.

I'd argue about the "easily countered" thing, but I'm already starting to wonder how much of my post you actually understood vs how much you assumed my point meant...

Assuming this isn't simply aimed at the whole community... um... why would you state this at all?

The fact that you put this in Bold now shows me that you did not comprehend my statement whatsoever. First and foremost, I will counter your assumption with the assumption that you were implying that I feel this is a Top Tier Meta strategy and state that I feel this can be a great Rogue deck if people put in the effort, but that when it comes down to it, people can and will run it at some level. What that level is, I have no idea because we simply aren't in the future quite yet. Will this beat fast decks? I doubt it as well. Does that make this card and any strategies around this card "unplayable"? Well, if Mega Audino-EX can win Worlds, I'm sure this can do SOMETHING. Or maybe not. We'll never know if no one bothers to try.

I'll state this as well since I'm on a rant now. This mentality that Pokebeachers seem to have about being extremely, pardon the pun, "Black and White" about cards is extremely bad for the community. Granted, this section is completely based off of an assumption that you, @Ecourts , are making an assumption that I find this competitively viable, in which we would have to go in to a long section about what defines "competitively viable", which is not for this thread, and if that assumption is false, then ignore this if you will. But, if the above is true, perhaps you should consider reducing the negativity of your words/judgments of cards and attempt to post findings of what these things may be more or less viable in. Not only will it help You grow as a Player, it'll help the community learn something new about cards that we may have never thought of.

Either way, to each their own. Enjoy, everyone.

-Asmer

Uh...the card simply disappoints. it has high retreat costs, decent attacks, and fighting weakness. It simply isn't that good. Cards that are 'eh' are typically treated like mediocre cards (M audino, Entei, M houndoom, M sceptile, etc.). This community focuses on competitive play for a reason.

M Audino won because of the meta. It simply exceeded in destroying Night March and Greninja, two of the best decks. Unless we see a meta where Beware thrives, it will not be good. Simple as that. M audino never was and never will be a legendary card. It just managed to be quick enough and gain an advantage over the most popular decks. You don't see anyone use it anymore for a reason.

Edit: Just realized you conversation was about Toxapex. Personally, I'm not entirely sure. His success will depend on whether M Gardevoir dies down (and if any psychic in general doesn't grow in popularity), and if it can find a decent way to trap poisoned opponents.

Edit: Just realized you conversation was about Toxapex. Personally, I'm not entirely sure. His success will depend on whether M Gardevoir dies down (and if any psychic in general doesn't grow in popularity), and if it can find a decent way to trap poisoned opponents.
I'll ignore the top part since you realized. xP

Honestly, I don't expect Toxapex-GX to be this Meta-Defining card. What I've attempted to say is that I can't wait to see what highly skilled players do with the card because the card is really, REALLY cool design-wise. I even made a full post earlier in the thread talking about how I feel people are 100% misjudging this card as a powerhouse when in all reality, it seems to be a pretty supportive Pokemon that can do some nifty things in the right situations. Then again, I take cards from a perspective that disregards what may or may not theoretically consistently win, but from what a card can do from its maximum potential. The difference is subtle, but that difference in thinking is why I can consistently point out both positive and negative points in every single card I analyze. That's why (and I had to look at my earlier post to confirm this) I never stated anything like "Oh, this card is great for the Meta" or "Oh, this card is the sux" or anything like that about Toxapex-GX. That's what also makes me so happy that cards like this exist. I love playing the theory game as much as a lot of you, I'm sure, but I also love seeing what people come up with, not what people attempt to shun.

There is one fact that we should all agree to and that is the fact that we simply do not know yet. Until we reach a point where we can disregard any card as no longer use-able (we'll use Standard Rotation as the line), we will never, ever know what may or may not be useful, good, bad, etc.

That's not because of analyzing.
That's not because of theoretical rationality.

That is because reading the future is simply not a thing. It is not a skill. It is not a rational reality.

Also, sorry for using your Quote to produce a reality check, @professor layton . This isn't directly aimed at you, but I become tired of reading narrow-minded, non-fleshed out posts that people define as "opinions". It becomes saddening because we'll have someone who will then turn around and use things like Mega Audino-EX or other "Rogue" startegies as we like to call them at the right time and win something (as you said, the Meta was correct for that situation) and all of a sudden, the card becomes great for what, a month or two before we all forget about it. So, why call something "good" or "bad" to begin with? It seems like a waste of time and a wasted mentality.

I suppose that's why I push for the idea that we should focus more on finding out how to utilize a card and less about what is bad about it. It seems more useful as a general rule.

Either way, I hope, for those who read this, that this either reassures your way of thinking about life and Pokemon TCG or changes the way you think to something a bit more positive-oriented. I don't mean to rant, but this becomes out of hand on way too many occasions and if we are to analyze cards properly, we really should consider, as a whole, a better method than simply "This is bad.".

I'll attempt to stop ranting now. Have fun~

-Asmer

Oh my god I need this Hau card! The art is incredible! <3 Hoping this is like Skyla where it gets released in the next set here in the US, because that would be awesome. :D

Toxapex GX Collection box when?
*anticipates in glory until the announcement of figure collection boxes due to Mega Evolutions not being a thing*

Back