Ruling Steam Up vs. Glaceon-GX

pine_ddog

Chaotic Neuteral
I was playing a game at a local league, where a Glaceon-GX was on my bench, and an Alolan Ninetales was active. My opponent used a Steam Up, and then Guzma'd up my Glaceon-GX, and the attacked with Ho-Oh-GX. Me and my opponent couldn't decide if that Steam Up was blocked by Glaceon-GX's ability. Would like to hear a ruling on this.

I'm no ruling expert, but I would imagine the Steam Up effect sticks. Steam Up was triggered before Glaceon-GX became the active, and it's now an effect applying to the basic Fire pokemon. Once Glaceon GX comes into play, it disables the effect from that point on instead of retroactively negating them. A way to think about this would be more that the Steam Up becomes a ''''status'''' on the basic Fire pokemon, and does not actively rely on Steam Up staying in play. Likewise if Steam Up was used and then the Volcannion was Acerola'd- the effect would (probably?) stick.

I'm curious to see if that's an incorrect take on the ruling, though.

It would stay the effect of steam up is over and done with b4 the lock comes in.
The effect of steam up is on all present fire types for the rest of the turn regardless of whether it was in play at the time of the steaming up

I would agree with Sheimeix and AuraJackle. The ability is completed, and the effect should stay in place. Also, I believe you still get the damage if you Acerola/AZ/Scoop Up the Volcacion. In fact, then you get to put it back down and use the ability again!

There's a chance I'm wrong, but based off of both my understanding of the rules and previous sentiments, I would say the ruling is that the damage added still applies.

I tend to agree, Steam up would still still be in play so to speak, as you did it before glaceon was brought up.

I actually had a similar situation come up at my local league where I used Steam Up then later in the turn played Hex Maniac.

The Steam Up Ability essentially puts an effect on each fire basic Pokemon in your deck that gives it +30 damage for each Steam Up you used that turn. After activating it no matter what happens to the Volcanion EX that effect is still in play until the end of your turn.

Back