State and Direction of PokeBeach?

My list:
  1. Do /something/ with VG to keep the existing playerbase interested or we're going to leave
  2. Make article/blog program more inclusive (what's the downside?)
  3. Revamp Forum games (and especially Mafia)

Here's my 2 cents:

1) Revive and Run more competitions than just the TCG cup (showdown tournaments, Create-a-card competitions, et cetera.)
2) Start actually caring about VG. As PP said, the existing playerbase you have for VG is going to leave and the ones that came here for VG found out that there was nothing and left.
3) Make the article program not exclusively TCG
4) Start capping the Anime episodes again (You used to do it, Serebii does it...)

Even though I won't be around much longer PB needs some serious changes if it wants to get more activity on the forums. If you're a VG player chances are you've left, are about to leave, or have considered leaving. Because PB is advertised as a TCG site with some news articles, and not an all-in-one site for all your Pokémon needs, people interested in the VG or the Anime or Pokken are just going to go somewhere else, which is hurting the forum.

Unless you are exclusively a TCG player, there's other sites that can offer a much better degree of focus on other mediums or all of them better than PB. And even then, I've always maintained that other forums (not naming them) are just better for the TCG anyways, or attract better players to them. PB doesn't feel like a Serious forum dedicated to the competitive playerbase, it feels like a casual TCG forum that gets articles that sometimes offer insight. And while I get that not everyone is a competitive player and PB needs to cater to everyone if it wants to withhold its label as "your ultimate Pokémon fan site" it needs things for casual and competitive TCG players, actual VGC content beyond SuMo news articles and SM, PP, KA, and PG24 talking amongst themselves. It needs a living anime section. While this might be hard for the mods to handle, we have mods for every section, even the dead ones, so it can't be a lack of staff.

PB only focusses on the one area the most people come to. Nobody comes to the other areas because PB doesn't focus on them, or heck, offer anything for them. PB needs to have more for everyone if it truly wants to keep itself near the top. Otherwise, it's just another average TCG forum that isn't as competitive as the competitive players would like.

Last edited:
You said a lot that you sense a lack of leadership and lack of interest. Honestly I've seen that a lot too. The banner is a HUGE example. As far as I'm concerned, that hasn't been changed in about a year! People just getting less interested in art and creative works and especially the VG, my god. The VG i will always love but I feel for a site like this it isn't just popular enough. I'm not saying to abolish it completely, but my suggestion is to add more events. For example, the new Pokebeach Monthly cups have been around for awhile. These are great and they get the community involved in the TCG more, and I remember the CaC (Create-a-Card) events sometime way back. Things like those and maybe even more VG events should be held, and that's how I think interest will be sparked into people. People wanna win, it's human nature. Making a competition gives them room even if they are only slightly interested to participate, and maybe even do good. For example, I participated in the Pokebeach October TCG Cup, and I got 5th place! This was my first online tournament too. I plan to participate in future Monthly Cups, but for now I can't over these 2 months because I have a LOT going on. As for leadership, I think maybe having a lot more people help host an event or maybe more opportunities for people to get involved and lead. That's all I have to say for now, I might EDIT later or something. :D

Okay, I'll pitch some things that could, maybe, work:
  • I don't really know much how you could improve the thoughtfulness of discussion; sure, serious non-pokemon threads will attract only serious discussion, but judging by existing (and already pokemon-related) threads, there is a very hard limit to that; without more mature and active people, that won't ever improve. Maybe the site itself could work out a less PG-13 image? I'm not saying to make it black, add blood dripping to the frames of the posts and remove the PG-13 restrictions of the forum, but making it less alienating to people who will be put off by that; it's like the anime: right now, the site is analogous to the eternal ash-is-a-dumb-10-year-old anime; make it Generations.
  • I'll leave the VG and ruins of alph suggestions to someone more capable, but you may want to try to offer something smogon and serebii don't.
  • An interesting thing is, as far as I know (someone correct me, please), pokebeach is more or less the only large forum where fake cards have a place; sure, there's the deviantart group, but it's not the same, is it? So that's definitely something it could take advantage from. So bringing CaC back is one thing, with front page publicity. I know, the problem is judging; I don't know how it could work without an expert to point out mistakes; maybe have people, both participants and not (that second part should be tested at best; there's lots of... ahem, out there) to anonymously submit votes and/or suggestions? or through likes, and the corrections are not anonymous? But that's just supposed to be the starting point; the ideal would always be to have all fake cards as images. Text is a good entry point, but... it's easy; anyone can do it, in very little time; there's no comparison between lines of text and a full image of what you made, and that should be encouraged; the resources, as they're now, can be advertised alongside the CAC; similarly, image should have more weight than text... in whatever terms you choose to define that. But, the CaC should walk a fine line; you don't want to discourage people either; it's a foregone conclusion that a novice image faker against, say, BBninjas or Jabberwock (or a text faker against good, experienced text fakers) would lose by a landslide, and that doesn't feel good; tiers could be implemented, perhaps, to avoid that kind of intimidation?
  • Another strategy can be to showcase each week, say, an image card, a fakemon, a text collection (not individual text cards; the point is to not show whatever, but things that carry a meaning; otherwise, you're replicating the posting problem to the user production too), a picture from the art thread, etcetera, in the front page. The key to publicity and attracting people is the front page, there's no way around that; if you get people in one way, maybe they'll stick for something else, but if you get them in one of six different ways... well, I shouldn't have to explain this. To paraphrase John Berger, fascination is the point, along with the promise of "you're not this now... but you could be"; if they're sensitive to it and you show them an image card, you show them the tools through which they could also be on that space, now consecrated as "important"; if you show them a text collection, you also tell them where to show their own, with the implied promise of some day after they finish theirs, it could be there; if you show them art, maybe they have some of their own already, so they can be there, and so on and so on.
Now, all of this is very nice, but there's the most important question: Does pokebeach want to change in this way?

I can't really answer that; the people who have posted in this thread are, comparatively, some of the oldest and more active people in here, so they don't seem a very representative sample of the site's new demographic; if you take a look at the "introduce yourself" thread, how many of those people do you see around every day, enough that you know who they are? it's also noticeable that most of them seem to come in here for the TCG (particularly asking one-off questions or for decklists and metagame discussion), and yes, that's because the site is focused on the TCG and we have no way to know how that would go if things were different; that's a fair point; but still, I'm sure that if it was a matter of simply pushing a button and triple the posting and signing up and audience for games and activities the site's authorities would do it... but would they see it as worth it if took more than that (as it probably will)? they chose the TCG direction for a reason, after all, and it seems to work, for good and bad.

I'm fairly sure that, at this point, if you took out thirty key people from the forums, general discussion, forum games, videogames (after the S&M hype dies), VCG and the artistic subforums would die for all intents and purposes; maybe with a post every two, three days by some random person who doesn't do much more than that. Where I'm going with this is: maybe that's not relevant for the overall plan; the renewal of this site was really ambitious, so it isn't surprising to see how it ended; maybe those subforums dying is only a natural consequence.

If it isn't intended or desired, well, here's this thread, full of feedback and suggestions; they can surely take something from here.

Here's what I would like to see:
• More focus put onto the rest of the forums, especially VG and Creative Works.
• Activities. Bring back CaC. Bring back PokéPoetry, or at least some sort of creative writing contest.
• A more expansive article system, although I believe that'd be very hard to implement with how things are currently.

I'm not against the idea of more laid-back threads, though I think they should at least be in their own laid-back subforum. I've also never heard of the "Chillax Zone" but it honestly doesn't sound awful. What was it?

This is probably my favourite thread on PokéBeach, because it's giving mandate to all the projects I've been working on. xD

Anyway, a question for a couple of people, because this is something which I haven't been working on so much, despite it being mentioned: Exactly how would you guys rennovate the Forum Games section? I've been thinking about it and haven't come up with any ideas, but it seems like some of you guys have them.

Also, it would lead to a lot of front page clutter if we advertised games there. Furthermore, forum games would end up looking like activities, which is an issue when they're member-run and sometimes flop.

I think we could get away with Mafia and The Challenge being front page worthy games because they're the usual blockbuster hits and proven successes.

For all intents and purposes though, Mafia is an activity. It's really no different than a TCG tournament.

After thinking about things overnight I drafted up a plan that should help revitalize competitive VG. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GnJVTSvzsPRwuYICUqgCIczUFEBxQRc9WpNuyKY0gOI/edit?usp=sharing Those who have been around for a while will remember those kinds of activities. Those were big hits back in the day and they still can be today.

Not VG related items:
1) The banner needs to change to something more inviting. I'm fine if PokeBeach Adventures is done, but leaving a banner up that appears to showcase a person trapped on an island with a hurt Wingull is not very inviting. It could even look like a prison. It needs to showcase fun and excitement; this would help people become more open to trying things.

2) I am in agreement that if a joke thread is allowed it should be in the Games section. Back when I was staff part of being a moderator was setting an example for members and getting rid of threads that had no discussion value.

3) Activities in general could be advertised on Social Media such as the Facebook Page and Twitter. The Facebook page alone has over 40,000 people who liked the page. Why not use that traffic to bring those people to the forum to participate in activities? @Shining Raikou

If nothing happens from this thread, I am gone and along with it, my article program subscription. I have thought about leaving for a while because of the unwilllingness to allow nonstaff to run activities and getting excuses like another tournament was going to be run and it wasn't run.

Also, it would lead to a lot of front page clutter if we advertised games there. Furthermore, forum games would end up looking like activities, which is an issue when they're member-run and sometimes flop.
Okay, okay, hold on. I can understand the flopping part, but the section I've bolded irks me so much. Why is member-run a bad thing? You've got many people here who would be willing to step up and make the changes happen (myself included), so why can't they take a leadership role and make these changes happen? We might not be mods, but we can still run things just fine. Mafia, ironically, is a huge example of this, as many members have lead it and have done a very good job of hosting and getting timely updates done. There's an application process for it anyways. In my school, we're taught to step up and take leadership roles wherever we can, and to give back to others through working community service. Why can't this way of thinking also apply here?

Sorry if I sound rude or anything with this. I don't mean any harm on anyone.

Okay, okay, hold on. I can understand the flopping part, but the section I've bolded irks me so much. Why is member-run a bad thing? You've got many people here who would be willing to step up and make the changes happen (myself included), so why can't they take a leadership role and make these changes happen? We might not be mods, but we can still run things just fine. Mafia, ironically, is a huge example of this, as many members have lead it and have done a very good job of hosting and getting timely updates done. There's an application process for it anyways. In my school, we're taught to step up and take leadership roles wherever we can, and to give back to others through working community service. Why can't this way of thinking also apply here?

Sorry if I sound rude or anything with this. I don't mean any harm on anyone.
There's nothing wrong with members running things and helping us out wherever they want to -- that's why each post in this thread is being actively discussed in the mod Skype rooms! However, front page advertising means that a certain standard of hosting has to be maintained, and members can't be held as liable as members of the staff team. If you abandon official activities as staff members then there are penalties available, like possibly being kicked off the team if it happens too often. If a member abandons activities we're not exactly going to ban them, so the repercussions aren't the same. It's not a bad thing that forum games are member-run at all -- in fact, it's the best thing about the subforum, and there's a reason why we both rotate hosts as much as possible and give newer hosts the chance to host if their games look good over older ones! The only issue is when these games are advertised on the front page, the expected standard may not be maintained, and flawed games are what gives our Forum Games section character. It's community-run, not staff-run. All things considered, not advertising mafia would be merely logistical, and actually keeps the community freer to do what they want.

If activities reach the fruition I'm picturing, Forum Games won't be unrepresented, anyway.
I think we could get away with Mafia and The Challenge being front page worthy games because they're the usual blockbuster hits and proven successes.
I'll discuss it with the other mods, but I'm not sure if advertising The Challenge's signups would be ideal, because the games take around a year to complete. A lot of members may jump ship half way through.

Keep up with the awesome discussion, though! As mentioned earlier, a lot of what you're saying is giving mandate to what we've already been working on, which is dope. But on the other hand, there are new suggestions being laid out here which are even more valuable. :D

Okay, I can understand where you're coming from. It makes sense. I think it's still worth a shot to let the members run something that goes on the front page, though. It certainly couldn't hurt, and if needed, you could have a mod co-host.

I'm not sure why The Challenge needs to take a year. When @PG24 and I ran the first few seasons, they were done within a few months.

Though I think it bears mention that if you have forum games taking months or a year of people's time, you ruin people's chances of participating in new seasons.

This is probably my favourite thread on PokéBeach, because it's giving mandate to all the projects I've been working on. xD

Anyway, a question for a couple of people, because this is something which I haven't been working on so much, despite it being mentioned: Exactly how would you guys rennovate the Forum Games section? I've been thinking about it and haven't come up with any ideas, but it seems like some of you guys have them.

I very much agree with what you're saying here. Main site support is important, but tight quality control has to be applied to broadcasted material, and things can come up for even the most responsible members. I don't think forum games need to be advertised on the main site. Forum games will see rejuvenation when the rest of the forum sees a healthier member base. Those sections and their staff-led activities are the ones that should be advertised.

I would like to ask to the people proposing suggestions in this thread one thing: if you're identifying a problem area, how do you intend to be part of the solution?

It's one thing to throw ideas at the wall to share your grievances, as we have already, but I really hope that you do not limit your involvement to just identifying problems. That's really not being part of the solution.

If you're thinking VG is a problem area, are you going to create tournaments? Are you going to create discussion threads? Are you going to play in tournaments? Are you going to join discussions?

If you think Creative Works is a problem, are you going to create or join in activities?

If you think Forum Games has problems, are you going to create or play in any new games?

I've been part of the staff team here on three separate occasions and while I will say that the staff tries to come up with content for members to enjoy, they are not the only ones that can. As members of this community, even though we lack those red userbars, we still have the capacity to create.

tl;dr version: don't just state your grievances, propose ideas and leave it there. Act upon your ideas.

If you're thinking VG is a problem area, are you going to create tournaments? Are you going to create discussion threads? Are you going to play in tournaments? Are you going to join discussions?

Once Sun and Moon officially come out, I'll be able to participate more in discussions; just don't expect much next week because I have to work over 45 hours at my job. I intend on participating in tournaments and would like to run them. I already have a couple ideas for tournaments in mind.

2) I am in agreement that if a joke thread is allowed it should be in the Games section. Back when I was staff part of being a moderator was setting an example for members and getting rid of threads that had no discussion value.
Currently, a joke thread should be posted in the Beach Life and not the Forum Games, unless the joke thread is more a joke game. =)

If nothing happens from this thread, I am gone and along with it, my article program subscription. I have thought about leaving for a while because of the unwilllingness to allow nonstaff to run activities and getting excuses like another tournament was going to be run and it wasn't run.
Activities and programs can take a while to plan and run, so they generally take some time to actually happen. We've definitely got stuff in the works, though! ^.^

Well mainly I think the solution is to add something to the side on the from page that says "play some games!" Or "Forum Games" and similar for VG.

I've been reading this thread from the beginning but no ideas came up from my head...

I agree that there's a need for more thinking, explaning and debating, more than just "I love G" or whatever. I don't know if this has something to do with the age of users or any other factor. In my case, I'm somewhat tired of the franchise. Not seeing that many changes to it doesn't help, hence why I was away for a while and why I'm not that active anymore.

For the anime section, I think that new threads shouldn't be created for each episode. I never liked the XY anime that much but what kept me going was a main discussion that allowed to keep building a sense of a group that had a place to continue discussing what we just saw and allowed for better backtracking if needed.
Since not every season has the same fans, there could be some sort of episode watching club were each weak an episode should be viewed by the members in order to discuss it.
Also, each week and following the articles suggestions in this thread, one should be posted, about the visual technique in a certain season, a character, a region, extent.

Regarding the VG...What I always felt that was missing was a connection to Grass trainers and I don't know if other specific-type trainers felt that. In light of that, some sort of type-clubs could be created, at least a thread for introduction so that we knew that we could talk with certain persons about that type and at the same time not separating members by the type and keep us as part of the Beach community.
I'm not a competitive trainer...and with work, it's more casual than anything.

In order to bring more members, we should here more of us, with a Chronicles section, were a member would post an article about his/her experience with the series, or a part of it, without it needing to be a testament.

And yeah...change the banner. A picture of a real beach with a Pokémon plush in it is better that what we have. I still remember when that meteor prank was active and some people thought it was weird so seeing a caged eyepatched guywith a "dead" Pokémon, makes this seems more like one anti-Pokémon PETA group.

Btw, all of this comes from someone who has never been to other sites/foruns about Pokémon, so I can't make comparisons and also, I never explored the creative works and other stuff, so I don't have the full picture of this site.
Despite what flaws it has, I found here some nice people that made me come back now, if only for going back adrift after a while...after Moon.

Cheers,

Leaf_Ranger

The past 1.5 years have been very busy for me because of my thesis film. Working to make money for it, working on other people's projects so they'll help on mine, casting, script revisions, producing it, starting it and stopping it multiple times due to freak occurrences, etc. Naturally when I get busy, I can only upkeep the site's core functions (news).

This site has its up years and down years and this certainly is not the first time it's been in a bit of a lull. Some of this is because of my own life, some of it is because of Pokemon itself. As you all know, TPCi has become much more anal about what fan sites can do in the past few years, and it has directly affected us in several ways. For example, TPCi forcefully made me get rid of all of our card scans shortly after launching the current version of the site. This was a huge blow to my motivation and made me question if I wanted to do this site anymore. But that's another story.

However, fear not -- the ultimate version of the site is in the works and more details will be shared here early next year once I'm done filming my thesis film. This ultimate version of the site will allow everyone to make PokeBeach what they want it to be. And it's something that's been in the works for years and years, at least conceptually. So stay tuned...

I was wondering what happened with the scans. I guess they got butthurt that we had better resources than they did.

What are the chances that we'll see an increase to other non tcg activities before this "ultimate" version launches?

Back