XY Starter evolutions leaked?

FloodBadge said:
Actually, now that you mention the European thing, I highly doubt it will be a kitsune or fighting-type, as there are no fighting foxes in mythology, and foxes aren't known for fighting. They're more known for digging. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teumessian_fox http://prezi.com/zbeloa-tznpx/foxes-in-mythology-and-folklore/ Both mention foxes either being in space or being some sort of spectral being. Maybe that's what we're getting?
An extraterrestial fox, and not a kitsune? That would be great! I think that it would be interesting for Fennikin to turn into some sort of alien fox-like being with psychic powers. This makes me really excited for the evolutions.
And anyway, kitsunes are getting pretty boring. We had two lines that were just foxes (Vulpix and Zorua, not counting Eevee and the eeveelutions, as they come from other animals too) and guess what? Both were kitsunes. An interstellar fox would be an interesting twist on a fox with psychic powers.

CyberCat5555 said:
FloodBadge said:
Actually, now that you mention the European thing, I highly doubt it will be a kitsune or fighting-type, as there are no fighting foxes in mythology, and foxes aren't known for fighting. They're more known for digging. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teumessian_fox http://prezi.com/zbeloa-tznpx/foxes-in-mythology-and-folklore/ Both mention foxes either being in space or being some sort of spectral being. Maybe that's what we're getting?
An extraterrestial fox, and not a kitsune? That would be great! I think that it would be interesting for Fennikin to turn into some sort of alien fox-like being with psychic powers. This makes me really excited for the evolutions.
And anyway, kitsunes are getting pretty boring. We had two lines that were just foxes (Vulpix and Zorua, not counting Eevee and the eeveelutions, as they come from other animals too) and guess what? Both were kitsunes. An interstellar fox would be an interesting twist on a fox with psychic powers.

Zorua and Zoroark were Tricksters. It's a mythical character often seen as an anthropomorphic fox man. It would disguise itself and trick others. It was also called Renard the Fox, i believe.

FloodBadge said:
Zorua and Zoroark were Tricksters. It's a mythical character often seen as an anthropomorphic fox man. It would disguise itself and trick others. It was also called Renard the Fox, i believe.

Kitsunes are foxes that are able to take human shape and do so to their advantage. So... Same exact concept, different name. I think it's more likely they had Japanese kitsune origins as opposed to the European Reynard because of Zoroark's kabuki-esque facial markings.

Either way, I would much rather have an alien fox than yet another trickster fox (if it even stays a fox at all; I'm sort of hoping it doesn't).

Frezgle said:
Either way, I would much rather have an alien fox than yet another trickster fox (if it even stays a fox at all; I'm sort of hoping it doesn't).

What other thing could it be besides some kind of fox....

Ohman177 said:
Frezgle said:

A jackal, or maybe a coyote, perhaps. Both of those also live in desert areas and have characteristically large ears, but they are somewhat larger and rougher animals (especially compared to fennec foxes). Happened to see several coyote went I visited Arizona years ago and I've always thought they're pretty neat. An African wild dog would also be cool, though a bit more of a stretch (just look at the ears though!). Pokemon often undergo species change through evolution so it wouldn't be anything new, really. Just look at Oshawott -> Samurott d:

Frezgle said:
Ohman177 said:

A jackal, or maybe a coyote, perhaps. Both of those also live in desert areas and have characteristically large ears, but they are somewhat larger and rougher animals (especially compared to fennec foxes). Happened to see several coyote went I visited Arizona years ago and I've always thought they're pretty neat. An African wild dog would also be cool, though a bit more of a stretch (just look at the ears though!). Pokemon often undergo species change through evolution so it wouldn't be anything new, really. Just look at Oshawott -> Samurott d:

African wild dogs are amazing but I think we have enough dog pokemon.

Ohman177 said:
african wild dogs are amazing but I think we have enough dog pokemon.

They're "dogs" in name only; about as close to domestic dogs as any other canid. They're actually the only living species in their genus (one of only two if you count their extinct cousin, L. sekowei), so technically, we haven't had any yet ;D
Edit: Did a bit of surface research and it turns out that fennecs and AWDs are both native to Africa. Now I'm giving myself hopes, whoops...

Frezgle said:
Ohman177 said:
african wild dogs are amazing but I think we have enough dog pokemon.

They're "dogs" in name only; about as close to domestic dogs as any other canid. They're actually the only living species in their genus (one of only two if you count their extinct cousin, L. sekowei), so technically, we haven't had any yet ;D
Edit: Did a bit of surface research and it turns out that fennecs and AWDs are both native to Africa. Now I'm giving myself hopes, whoops...

I love the coloring on Wild Dogs so I'd be ok with it. And when I Said we had dogs already, I meant in a general sense. I don't think GF would be THAT specific/technical for something like that.

Ohman177 said:
Frezgle said:

I love the coloring on Wild Dogs so I'd be ok with it. And when I Said we had dogs already, I meant in a general sense. I don't think GF would be THAT specific/technical for something like that.

That is true, they won't necessarily get too specific, but we are the only ones who care, so if it is specific enough to make us happy, it ill work. I would love African wild of evolutions, though I would be happy with fennec foxes as they are awesome and cute and other positive adjectives.

Frezgle said:
FloodBadge said:

Kitsunes are foxes that are able to take human shape and do so to their advantage. So... Same exact concept, different name. I think it's more likely they had Japanese kitsune origins as opposed to the European Reynard because of Zoroark's kabuki-esque facial markings.

The only foxes we have are Vulpix. Ninetales (kitsunes), Eevee (showing how animals can easily adapt), and Zoroa and Zoroark (tricksters)
So are you saying we can only have 1 pokemon of a kind or else it's ruined?

FloodBadge said:
The only foxes we have are Vulpix. Ninetales (kitsunes), Eevee (showing how animals can easily adapt), and Zoroa and Zoroark (tricksters)
So are you saying we can only have 1 pokemon of a kind or else it's ruined?

I didn't say that at all o_O I'm fine with more than one Pokemon having the same basis, but as you've pointed out, we've got three separate fox-based evolution lines.
I kind of consider the Eeveelutions to just be furry hodgepodge and not based on any one species, but that's neither here or there.
I would just prefer to have new Pokemon with bases in things that we haven't gotten before, because there are tons of cool options left in both the natural and mythical world.

Frezgle said:
Ohman177 said:

Actually that is giant otter mixed with sea lion.

Pinnipeds are related to Mustelids and both are related to Ursus and kin. If you want change of species in pokemon there is probably a better example than that one.

Raptor9229 said:
Frezgle said:

Pinnipeds are related to Mustelids and both are related to Ursus and kin. If you want change of species in pokemon there is probably a better example than that one.

For example, Pidove starts as a dove, but ends up as a pheasant.
Ekans changes from rattlesnake to cobra.
Venonat goes from gnat to moth, without even using a cocoon.

Raptor9229 said:

They're still different species, though. They're related, of course, and I never said they weren't! In fact, the different-but-related trend is what I generally expect in Pokemon that don't just stay based on one particular animal throughout their evolution line. Hence why I said that Fennekin need not stay based on a fox, and that it could evolve into something based on a different sort of canine.

I for one can say there can never be enough canine pokemon until I get:

An ice/dark wolf.

A ground/fire Dingo.

A ground/dark African Wild Dog.

A dark Great Dane.

And a grass/ground Bush/Racoon Dog hybrid Pokémon.

I am going to hate if they do water\fighting like they did with the fire starters

Ghost King said:
I am going to hate if they do water\fighting like they did with the fire starters

I think everyone will hate if they do a single type pair (monotype is not as bad) for more than two gens in a row.

Cinesra said:
J.D. said:
Aye... the real one looks like a bad anime character...
But it is...
So... you're agreeing with me?

SketchsonSmeargle said:

HA! I once drew a family of Grass-type Raccoon Pokemon. The final form was a Grass/Ground-type, with a flower for a hat... called it "Gardenooki", cause it was a gardener tanooki.

DrEspeon said:
Ghost King said:

I think everyone will hate if they do a single type pair (monotype is not as bad) for more than two gens in a row.
I think the real problem is that they've overused the Fighting-type with the starters... I mean, this is the fourth generation in a row where a starter has Fighting for its second type.

J.D. said:
Cinesra said:
But it is...
So... you're agreeing with me?

SketchsonSmeargle said:

HA! I once drew a family of Grass-type Raccoon Pokemon. The final form was a Grass/Ground-type, with a flower for a hat... called it "Gardenooki", cause it was a gardener tanooki.

DrEspeon said:
I think the real problem is that they've overused the Fighting-type with the starters... I mean, this is the fourth generation in a row where a starter has Fighting for its second type.

It's not confirmed yet.

Back