'Solgaleo' and 'Lunaala,' Sun and Moon's Legendary Pokemon?

Chocolate Death

I should be the Water Trial Captain now!
I dunno if it's sharing the latin thing, but I found that reki can mean rubble in japanese so... Giganto rubble! Yay!

Oh, and it's wing as in shoulders, squadrons, aisles, basically a general location i guess so don't take it as it'll be a bird. Wing as in flight is pars

Celever

Wheeeee~
Lunaala? Moon wing? Like this?
Spr_4d_488.png

And a sun lion... like this?
ptDdG4J.png

GameFreak, there's still a lot of concepts you haven't used yet. Stop repeating yourselves lol.

I do think that there's a good chance these rumours are real though. The names are so obscure that it just doesn't seem plausible that anyone else would think of them, which is the point of dummy trademarks.

Mitja

veteran smartass
Well, I've been expecting a lion and some kind of fish as the legendaries due to this: http://www.azothalchemy.org/azoth_ritual.htm

"The alchemist also stands balanced between the masculine and feminine powers in the background. He is really the offspring of the marriage between Sol, the archetypal Sun King seated on a lion on a hill to his right, and Luna, the archetypal Moon Queen seated on a great fish to his left. “Its father is the Sun,” says the Emerald Tablet, “its mother the Moon.”"

Since the lion fits the -leo already, I'm suspecting the other name might turn out to have some relation to something aquatic rather than "wing"?
No idea though. Squalus is a stretch...couldn't get anything closer with simple searching xD

Chocolate Death

I should be the Water Trial Captain now!
Well, I've been expecting a lion and some kind of fish as the legendaries due to this: http://www.azothalchemy.org/azoth_ritual.htm

"The alchemist also stands balanced between the masculine and feminine powers in the background. He is really the offspring of the marriage between Sol, the archetypal Sun King seated on a lion on a hill to his right, and Luna, the archetypal Moon Queen seated on a great fish to his left. “Its father is the Sun,” says the Emerald Tablet, “its mother the Moon.”"

Since the lion fits the -leo already, I'm suspecting the other name might turn out to have some relation to something aquatic rather than "wing"?
No idea though. Squalus is a stretch...couldn't get anything closer with simple searching xD

ala
wing, aisle, squadron, armpit, shoulder
I'm gonna happily say that maybe it's a fishy vespiquen lol. And maybe the emerald tablet is zygarde?

Purrloin

This is probably a longshot, but I think Lunaala being a big lightning bug would be pretty cool. Bug/Electric typing, even.

energyforest

Aspiring Trainer
It could be a long shot, but the name of Solgaleo could be in reference to Galileo Galilie. It would make sense because of how Galileo was a champion of heliocentrism. However, I envision it to be a floating lion's head with a fiery mane as the corona. Maybe with a fiery beard to mirror the Galileo's famous mane.

TheLunaticHypno

Just your average Hypno fan
I think it would be cool to have lunaala as a bat. We already have the origins of his name, moon, and wing, and I associate bats with nighttime, and the moon. The only other creature I could see it being is an owl. Still fits the requirements. Has wings, and is nocturnal. Personally, I would be happy with a bat or an owl as the legendary

OVERGRO

Pokemon is lyfe.
From the link @Mitja posted on Azoth Alchemy:

"The salamander, as a symbol of soul, is attracted to the blazing heat of the Sun, while the bird of spirit is attracted to the coolness of the Moon."

It looks like we could be getting the Sun King's Lion (and the fact that Galileo was a champion of heliocentricity is super cool @energyforest !) and the Moon bird of Spirit.

Which is annoying because that would make it asymmetrical and I don't think they'd do that... but ya never know.

Did anyone check the Norse mythology that Xerneas and Yveltal come from just in case?

TheUltimateAbsol

Truth or Ideals? It's all Black and White to me
I have a problem with this.
That problem is that this supports the concept of a new Pokemon for each "side"
And the problem with that is the numerous amounts of "light and dark" counterparts already made.
We've got:
Dark + Psychic,
Dark + Fairy,
(Even Fire v. Lightning if Reshiram + Zekrom count)
will the next one have to be a bit ludicrous? Maybe Fire v. Ghost?

Or Maybe it's hinting at a new typing...
You know, the one vividly expressed on the logo?

G-Panthera

Panthera's Fiercest Fighter
According to the same trademark where the legendaries' names were supposedly leaked from, possible japanese names for the starters are trademarked and are revealed to be:

1. Mokuroh (Grass type Owl) - Moku means "Wood" in japanese. Kuroh is derived from the japanese word "Fukuro" which means "Owl"
2. Ashimari
3. Nyabby

1461146484748.png

While the last two names aren't as obvious like the possible Grass starter, they seem to hint to a Water-type Seal and a Fire-type cat (tiger anyone perhaps?). If this is true...well, choosing a starter just got tougher for me, for I love all three animals equally with Fire being on the top for my love of cats.

There's also this name - Marshadow, which seems to be the name for the 3rd Legendary. Seeing how its name sounds...perhaps this is the Eclipse representative?

However, its to note that these names weren't trademarked personally by GF or Nintendo, but by a IP lawyer (whatever that is). So whether these names are legit...remains to be seen. Take with a big grain of salt.

I have a problem with this.
That problem is that this supports the concept of a new Pokemon for each "side"
And the problem with that is the numerous amounts of "light and dark" counterparts already made.
We've got:
Dark + Psychic,
Dark + Fairy,
(Even Fire v. Lightning if Reshiram + Zekrom count)
will the next one have to be a bit ludicrous? Maybe Fire v. Ghost?

Or Maybe it's hinting at a new typing...
You know, the one vividly expressed on the logo?

If there is a new typing (which I doubt) as you speculate, the only type that would make any sense, is Cosmic. But again, i really doubt there's a new typing after we just got Fairy in the previous gen.

Last edited:

Apterous

Aspiring Trainer
The way you'd read Katakana, it's more likely "Lunarla."

Also remember, we have name like "Yveltal" and "Xerneas" which from Japanese would have looked like "Iberteru" and "Zeruneas" so localization/romanization team is probably gonna play with the names a bit.

Skyleaf2000

Resident UB Enthusiast
I would love for Galilieo to have something to do with this, unless it actually looks like a human. *shudders*
But when I first saw the possible Sun Legendary, I immediately thought it included the word "gale," as in strong wind, so I got the idea of it being Flying-Type. :L

Orphalesion

Aspiring Trainer
Solgaleo doesn't have to be a lion, a quick google search for "Galeo" reveals:

Galea: Latin for 1) One of those cool Roman helmets 2) part of a plant that looks like those cool Roman helmets 3) Part of an insect that looks like those cool Roman helmets.

Galeo: Spanish for Swordfish

Galeos: Greek for "Shark" and the scientific name for a family of cat sharks.

So there are lots of possibilities.

ShinyArticuno

Aspiring Trainer
Man, I hope it's a lion, I mean fans had been screaming for a fire lion for some time when the Litleo line came out - I don't know why that typing just seems to fit for some reason - but I was kind of disappointed by Pyroar and, given that most of us had Charizard/Talonflame as our chosen fire type, it didn't leave much of an impression.

I hope they keep the designs pretty simple again, X & Y nailed it when it came to capturing what I think legends should be about - particularly Xerneas - that thing looks like it walked straight out of a fairy tale.

Those names are ace for an English version too, no need to mess around with them. I wonder what types the legends will be? I mean, as I already mentioned, I guess the sun legend pretty much has to be part fire, but the moon? Could be anything... Fairy, water, flying!? So excited for CoroCoro now

Last edited: