Contest Finished: PokéBeach Create-A-Card: August 2018 - Team Rocket

I believe would like to sign up for an image based one, but I need clarification on rules.

Question 1: You say no existing artwork, do you mean no TCG artwork or may I use art for the card from an artist on DeviantArt with appropriate credit; or must it be something of my own creation.

Question 2: The rule concerning automatic online generators. I will be using a card generator, BUT it isn't online, it is MSE and I am the one creating the template that it uses (aka I am creating the blanks, fonts, spacing, and coding used by it). The link can be found here for verification.

I will produce an image but if my image must be religated to a text-only entry then let me know.

Question 1: You say no existing artwork, do you mean no TCG artwork or may I use art for the card from an artist on DeviantArt with appropriate credit; or must it be something of my own creation.
No TCG artwork. dA art is fair game provided you've got permission if necessary, and the artist is credited on the card.

Question 2: The rule concerning automatic online generators. I will be using a card generator, BUT it isn't online, it is MSE and I am the one creating the template that it uses (aka I am creating the blanks, fonts, spacing, and coding used by it). The link can be found here for verification.
Yeah, that's totally fine. The intent of that rule is to encourage folks to strive for accurate fonts and placement, and online card generators just aren't versatile enough to replicate the sort of accuracy you can get for this in Photoshop, GIMP, etc. If you've made a card generator from scratch and you're confident in its ability to accurately place fonts and symbols and such, then I see no reason why you can't use it. :)

(And, as a side note, that's actually very impressive! It won't earn you any bonus points versus using an image manipulation program, but I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with all the same. ^.^)

Good, then consider me signed up.

...you're confident in its ability to accurately place fonts and symbols and such...
This is why I'm hoping to have an entry using an XY / Black&White era card which is the specific template I'm working on, but getting the computer to emulate the way that these cards compress body text for attacks, as more text is added, using the soft line return rather than the font size is proving problematic. Using this contest as incentive to keep going & get project finished.

If I don't get it done I've got other era templates done.

Good, then consider me signed up.

This is why I'm hoping to have an entry using an XY / Black&White era card which is the specific template I'm working on, but getting the computer to emulate the way that these cards compress body text for attacks, as more text is added, using the soft line return rather than the font size is proving problematic. Using this contest as incentive to keep going & get project finished.

If I don't get it done I've got other era templates done.
...and then the flux capacitor will go into molecular burnup, causing irreparable damage to the igglymorphic generator...
Congratulations on confusing us with your indecipherable big words.

Team Rocket's Yveltal ◇ HP 160 Darkness
Basic Pokémon
yveltal.gif

(Prism Star) rule ~ You can't have more than 1 ◇ card with the same name in your deck. If a ◇ card would go to the discard pile, put it in the Lost Zone instead.

/Ability/ ~ Doomed Wings
As long as this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, your opponent reveals the card they draw at the beginning of their turn when they draw it. If that card is a Pokémon-EX or Pokémon-GX, discard it.

[D][D][D] Dread Rocket 160-
Your opponent may search their deck for as many Energy cards as they like and discard them. This attack does 50 less damage for each card discarded.

Weakness: Lightning x2
Resistance: Fighting -20
Retreat: 2
Fairly new effects I imagine. Can't say for sure, though, might've been older cards that I don't know of with similar effects like this.

You'll need to credit the Illustrator on the card, @TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK, as per our rules. If you're the Illustrator, make sure to let us know! :)

You can resubmit that card with proper credit without taking an edit penalty, bearing in mind that if any other part of the card is altered, you will lose 2 points.

fGBa4DQ.png
Kinda porting the old Pokémon SP concept with how this is titled; "Rainbow Rocket's Dialga GX" just took up way too much space. Inspired by ex-era promo Kyogre/Groudon with their Frenzy ability (as it stands here, just a free Band with drawbacks), SM68 Xurkitree apparently for the GX attack (but I hadn't even known of that guy before this, haha. thought I was being mighty clever...), myself for actually making art for once in my life, and of course Team Rainbow Rocket from Ultra Sun & Moon. Seems like it could be rather overpowered and a tad busy overall, but I suppose that aligns thematically with Rainbow Rocket's flamboyant as heck concept. Thanks to Nyan in the TCG faking discord for a little help with phrasing for the GX attack.

Rocket's Alolan Persian – [D] – HP70
Stage 1 – Evolves from Rocket's Alolan Meowth

Ability: Dark Rebellion
When you play Nanu from your hand during your turn, you may attach as many [D] energy from your discard pile to your basic [D] Pokemon as you like.

[None] Attack 20+
Discard one of your evolved Pokemon in play, excluding Rocket's Alolan Persian. If you do, this attack does 90 more damage to your opponent's Pokemon.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: N/A
Retreat: None

I really wanted to involve the new Nanu supporter from SM8b. Fairly original, I think.

You'll need to credit the Illustrator on the card, @TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK, as per our rules. If you're the Illustrator, make sure to let us know! :)

You can resubmit that card with proper credit without taking an edit penalty, bearing in mind that if any other part of the card is altered, you will lose 2 points.
I'm the illustrator. This card goes back to October for me when I failed to submit a card that would have been a Dusknoir GX. Since the theme was Team Rocket I used the Darkness type template provided by metagross101blanks from that era. I wanted an ability to do with the face pattern on this ghosts stomach so why not make it hungry? The artwork incorporates a portal to the spirit world as seen during the Professor Rowans Pokemon Summer Camp arc since the connection is there and prominent.

I'm the illustrator. This card goes back to October for me when I failed to submit a card that would have been a Dusknoir GX. Since the theme was Team Rocket I used the Darkness type template provided by metagross101blanks from that era. I wanted an ability to do with the face pattern on this ghosts stomach so why not make it hungry? The artwork incorporates a portal to the spirit world as seen during the Professor Rowans Pokemon Summer Camp arc since the connection is there and prominent.
It's really cool that you're doing your own art, but we still have to ask you to put the credit on the card itself. This is noted in the rules of the contest, as well as the rules of the forum itself:
All entries should meet the forum rules. You should always credit the artist, and never use someone else’s art without their permission, else it is considered art theft.
Even if you yourself are the illustrator, you're required to make mention of that on the card to avoid confusion if the card shows up on –– for example –– a Google image search, without a mention of your name or this contest.

It's really cool that you're doing your own art, but we still have to ask you to put the credit on the card itself. This is noted in the rules of the contest, as well as the rules of the forum itself:

Even if you yourself are the illustrator, you're required to make mention of that on the card to avoid confusion if the card shows up on –– for example –– a Google image search, without a mention of your name or this contest.

Noted, won't happen again.August 2018 CAC.jpg

I would like to enter for text. Here is my card.

Rocket’s Meowth – Darkness – HP70
Basic

No. 052 Scratch Cat Pokémon HT: 1’04” WT: 9.3 lbs.

Ability: Fast Talker
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may search your opponent’s deck for a [L] Pokémon, or a Pokémon that evolves from Pikachu and put it on your opponent’s bench. Then, your opponent shuffles his or her deck. This ability can’t be used if your opponent does not have a bench space available.

[C] Fury Swipes 50
If your opponent’s Active Pokémon has Malamar in the name, this attack does 40 more damage to your opponent’s Active Pokémon and this Pokémon does 40 damage to itself.

[D] Blast Off 200
This attack may only be used if this Pokémon used the ability Fast Talker to put a Pokémon on your opponent’s bench during this turn. At the end of this turn, this Pokémon is knocked out.

Weakness: [L] (x2)
Resistance: [F] (-20)
Retreat: [C]

Though rare and powerful, this Pokémon’s mischievous nature always gets it into more trouble than it bargained for.

Season 17, Episode 19, A Conspiracy to Conquer!

Here is my entry:
It is done in the Black and White style, specifically for the Plasma Storm through Plasma Blast.
Artwork is by Yilx on DeviantArt (specifically the Sableye).

95sCxjU.png

I need to finish some fine tuning on the template (adding the ability for attack text to Pokemon Tools in particular) before posting. I also want to add the ability to switch between the single numbered card numbers like that used in the promos and the standard card numbering card 1 of 92 (1/92) used in the standard sets.

This is done based upon the "Team Plasma" style team cards from Plasma Storm through Plasma Blast, but substituting Team Rocket.

Sableye is generally found to have a standard week attack as well as a potentially potent Timmy or Johnny style second ability. For the second ability I felt that it would be fun to access the Lost Zone with it's recent resurgence using the Prism Rule cards, as well as fitting with Sableye's tendency to be found underground where few people look. I also couldn't help the LotR dig using the flavor text.

It uses a frame colored to Red: 90, Green: 58, Blue: 58, to mimic the "Dark Pokemon" style originally used by Team Rocket in the Neo sets.

The Team Logo found in the upper right is the following image, reminiscent of a rocket.
FbVhoij.png

The Stylized R used as a watermark, has been colored the blue color used to represent the Dark background as is done with Team Plasma shield. Pokemon of other colors would use a different colored R. The image is found below.
aac1Kj0.png

I look forward to all criticisms, please be brutal as this is a template I hope others will use and it needs to have a high bar.

VioletValkyrie's Entry: Rocket's Tyranitar-GX
August 2018 Create-A-Card: Team Rocket

Rocket's Tyranitar-GX - Darkness – HP250
Stage 2 Pokémon - Evolves from Pupitar

【 Ability: Level The Game 】
When you play this Pokémon from your hand to evolve 1 of your Pokémon during your turn, you may Knock Out one of your Benched Pokémon. If you do, your opponent chooses one of their Benched Pokémon. That Pokémon is now Knocked Out.

[D][D][C] End The War 120+
Discard as many cards attached to your Benched Pokémon as you like. Then, your opponent may discard as many cards attached to their Benched Pokemon as they like. This attack does 40 more damage for each card discarded in this way.

[D][D] Curtains Closed GX 150
Your opponent discards their hand. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game.)

Weakness: [F] x2
Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat: 4

Pokémon-GX Rule: When your Pokémon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

AU2018CaC // VioletValkyrie
➤ Thoughts and Creative Process:
If I'll be honest, this one's a bit ridiculous. I planned to submit this card weeks ago when I had the concept for it, but I held the concept for a while in order to tweak it and work out balancing. However, in that amount of time I had some personal things happen and that's why I'm submitting so late, and, unfortunately, with such a shaky entry. I'll fully admit that I'm expecting a harsh criticism on my wording especially, because I'm unconfident in how proper it actually is.

I know what you're thinking. "Violet, how is this card related to Team Rocket? The common members of Rocket never used a Tyranitar!"
My basis for this one is based on the Iron-Masked Marauder from Pokémon 4Ever, who was an Elite Officer in Team Rocket, and had used a Dark Ball to capture a Tyranitar and use it as a weapon against Celebi during the movie. While talking with someone recently, I already had the idea to make a Tyranitar, but wasn't reminded about the movie until recently. With that in mind, I knew I could fully cement my entry to the theme, and the concept for this one is one I'm actually very proud of.

The naming convention for the attacks actually comes from something I've wanted to use for fakes for a while, and it's the concept of making a comeback while playing a game of the Pokémon TCG. Where you first level the game by taking a big knockout against your opponent, end the war by knocking out their biggest attacker and gain the advantage, and then finally close the curtains on the match with the final attack, which locks them out of use of their hand.
On that note, the GX attack is actually a throwback to an old Tsareena-GX I made before the official promo came out, where the GX attack was simply "Discard your opponent's hand", and I still think it's one of the most ridiculous fakes I've made. But I was able to use that concept to improve it and make something I liked more, and hey, maybe I'll go back and submit a Tsareena-GX one day. Who knows.

I'll fully admit this isn't my favourite entry and that besides just concept, there isn't much that's unique here. However, I still hope to show it off and see if people like it.

See you next month, hopefully!

➤ References:
On top of the following, my references from last month are still applicable here. This month's entry isn't the most unique compared to my last month's, and that's something I'm not too happy about.

Raichu [Sun and Moon: Burning Shadows – 41/147]
Checking for wording on activating an ability from placing a Pokémon to evolve.
Delinquent [X and Y: BREAKpoint – 98/122]
This one's not entirely certain. It was the best reference I had for discarding your opponent's hand.

Glaceon_Prism_GX.png
Heyo!
So uhm... yeah. This is a thing that needed to exist. Why? Well if TagTeam GX can exist, than this can exist too, okay? Okay. So now that I have that fully established, I must establish the other thing. This was not my first idea. I ultimately decided to not do my first idea because upon second thoughts it just... didn't seem to work for me.So, after I decided against that idea, brainstorming underwent... what do I do? My erratic mind decided to think "what if I just do everything?". Now we're here. This... this is as close to everything at once as I wanna get (screw TagTeams >:c). Another plan I had was to make this card at school, during my lunch and break periods. I was taking computer science so I knew the owner of the lab pretty well. Upon getting onto the Mac and loading up CC, I realized that these Macs were... really old and not in very good shape, literal potato quality. Just having CC running made it slow to a crawl. After dismissing that idea, one long night spent getting it done... led me here!

Goodnight everyone!

Back