Help Shaymin EX world Championship promos

suikoboj

Aspiring Trainer
So, new to the game over all, though I do understand the various decks and the like as some of my friends do play. Though trying to build decks and wanted to know, is Shaymin-EX from the pokemon world championship promo cards legal in the current, not expanded tcg rotation? Sorry if this had already been asked, didn't see it.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
World Championship cards cannot ever be used in a sanctioned tournament since they have different backs, borders, and other markings. The only real use of WC cards is to use as proxies in fun decks or whatever.

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
I use them as proxies because I typically have 6-10 decks set up for easy "switch a couple cards in and go" play. The WC cards make this affordable.

But like @Athena said, they aren't legal for any kind of tournament play. You need a play set of the principle cards so you can play them in tournaments. But for practice, the WC cards can be pretty huge.

If you are just getting into it though, you should probably focus your money / trading on getting play sets of important cards.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
So, new to the game over all, though I do understand the various decks and the like as some of my friends do play. Though trying to build decks and wanted to know, is Shaymin-EX from the pokemon world championship promo cards legal in the current, not expanded tcg rotation? Sorry if this had already been asked, didn't see it.
My league allows them however otherwise they have no other use besides proxies

Otaku

The wise fool?
So to confirm, you may use cards from the World Championship decks
  • In casual play ("for fun")
  • Some Pokémon Leagues (I believe the individual League decides)
I do need to disagree with @Fayld as even if you are just getting into the game, one or two of these is a good way to see if you'll even enjoy anything beyond the most casual of play. I am a long time player, still hanging around even though I am critical of the game's current pacing and balance (I just think it can still change). World Championship decks deck to show you the game at its most brutal; if you can't enjoy somewhat (or very) one-sided games that you'll experience with these decks, even when you're both using World Championship decks, the highly competitive tournament scene might not be for you...

...which is good to figure out before you invest serious money building a competitive deck. Which you can get an idea of by looking at the prices of stuff like Shaymin-EX (ROS).

Last edited:

austincredible76

Snorlax fanboy for life
I am a big fan of the championship decks. I learn best by being hands on and there is no better way to learn to play the game at it's highest level than to get into the mind of the best players on the planet the previous season. What a wonderful learning tool.