News Several Upcoming TCG Products Cancelled or Delayed

Pikachu6319

Scooby
I know I'm in the minority here but I have to say I'm okay with the BA decks being cancelled myself. Haven't bought the last two and don't plan on it. It has nothing to do with the fact that it's expanded but because there was nothing I needed in them aside from the alternate arts.

Wish they'd hurry on the Lele pin box though, I want my Lele. And yes I know it's not the GX but it's a new card so I want it.

Coolpilot

Bisharps don't know 'bout my Togekiss
Advanced Member
Man, why would you cancel the BAD, but not the bajillion reprint-box-sets of recent cards that no-one uses? Kommo-o GX, I'm looking at you. Or heck, maybe you can NOT take cards out from sets to make extra promo products that you don't need. The BAD are a really great way for newer players to get a great mix of cards for Expanded (and more familiar with that format), and even for standard when it comes to some of the trainers. And don't forget the foil energy! I was looking forward to the grass & fighting, which would just leave me with needed more steel & fairy. Just seems like the worst of the products to cancel - I hope the ones saying it's just been delayed to next year are right.

And my god, is the wait for Tapu Lele getting excruciating. It's an amazingly good card that I wanted to get for one of my decks back when it was supposed to be released - instead I'm still caught waiting around for it. Counter Energy will allow me to use Spiritomb in the mean time, but Lele's not only better (better first attack & can move the counters from active, too), but makes more sense in a psychic deck than a dark type (low & behold) since I won't have to 100% rely on CE. And we still don't have it seemingly because of the pin, of all things. *sigh*

TPCI is dumb sometimes, I swear. Hopefully the news WPM is teasing for the next few days lifts spirits a little bit. :p

Natty637

Aspiring Trainer
I'm glad that some of these products got cancelled or delayed. I think Pokemon International needs to dial it back a bit with these collection boxes, decks, pin blisters, etc. They're pushing way too much stuff at consumers all at once and the market is really becoming over-saturated with products to the point that it's hard for us to keep up with. The price on the "newer" battle arena decks is a bit much. I don't think there was need to increase it by $10 just to make more money.

signofzeta

Aspiring Trainer
I've said in the past that they released way too many box sets, and they are now realizing it. The problem is, they didn't cancel those extra box sets, but the battle arena deck.

2017 is supposedly the year they released 2 battle arena decks. I think they probably want to change their mind and release 1 per year instead.

Maybe Landorus vs Genesect could be 2018's battle arena decks, or maybe not. I really hope the product line isn't entirely cancelled though. The way they should have done it is to release 1 battle arena deck per year, and 6 months later, release legendary battle decks per year, so every 6 months, you alternate between legendary battle decks and battle arena decks. 2016 and 2017 already had both, so 2018 needs to have legendary battle decks released in the middle of the year, and the battle arena decks released at the end of the year.

Before battle arena decks, I've been complaining in these forums and some other pokemon forums that the game needs a preconstructed product that contains pokemon from multiple sets, not just the one set, like theme decks. The product could either be stand alone or a vs set. The other complaint I had was too many box sets. Back to complaining I guess.

As a comparison, this is MTG's annual product lineup.

4 main sets containing booster packs, planeswalker decks, and bundles.
2 duel decks.
1 or 2 masters type set.
1 from the vault set.
1 commander precon set.

Pokemon has what, aside from the 4 sets, 12+ box sets that are pretty much the same thing aside from the promo?

Skeleton Liar

サーナ~
Golly! It's almost as if there's too much nonsense being released!

Although the Rayquaza vs Keldeo Battle Arena Deck was a nice purchase to help my nephew understand the TCG, I couldn't care less about this one being cancelled or any other cancellations or delays. There's SO much crap being released, I just don't care most of the time anymore. I am looking forward to Shining Legends, but even that's confusing to keep track of how many products there will be. And it's frustrating because of all of these products pulling cards from sets, just to make an excuse to make a new "collection" box that will waste space on store shelves for months to come.

Around the ORAS era, I noticed it was becoming a bit difficult to keep up with collecting Promos, but towards the end of the XY era, I just couldn't keep up. And now with SM, I'm no longer attempting to collect all Promos, just ones I want (which isn't many). And with the main SM sets, I'm just focusing on anything but the full arts, rainbow rares, and secret rares because half of these giant sets are ultra rares now. Add the decrease of ultra rare pulls in booster boxes on top of that, and collecting is no longer fun to me anymore. And I've been collecting since Base set.

With everything TPCi's been doing, as far as the TCG products are concerned, I feel like an old person saying it like this, but... I'm just tired and I don't care anymore. I want to care, but I don't have the money to do so; it's too much.

Androsidy

Aspiring Trainer
I think it would be fantastic if a tapu lele box is released? Would it be the gx with wonder tag ability? Hopefully because in our league there are so many young players who builds great decks but can't afford 3 leles so find it hard to compete. I think even just one lele would help them out.

Jake_Silberman

Competitive PTCG Player
I think it would be fantastic if a tapu lele box is released? Would it be the gx with wonder tag ability? Hopefully because in our league there are so many young players who builds great decks but can't afford 3 leles so find it hard to compete. I think even just one lele would help them out.
Not happening. Lele's too important in decks to be put in a promo box/tin.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
Not happening. Lele's too important in decks to be put in a promo box/tin.

That's exactly what's wrong with them now too.

They were seemingly fine with doing this before but now they're not?

It gets packs sold by not putting Lele in a Tin. This news just shows us how greedy they've gotten and how bad it's starting to backfire on them.

JoKing

King of Jokers
They should release a cheap Lele gx like they did with previous decks so people in the second market don't have to spend so much just for a play set of a card. At least they will get money from it directly, instead of the second market.

Bigscrap84

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I only see the Mewtwo shining legends box as being released tomorrow on Amazon. Ordered 5 I wish the elite trainer boxes were available like this

Mega Altaria

Hard-hitting Bug
The BAD is one of their best selling products, they shouldn't have cancelled it completely.
They should have gone back to the old BAD design, but have the aa trainer inserted into the deck box. The unnecessary packaging is just stupid bad.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Where is SM51 Alolan Meowth blister? I never see them opening these on YouTube.

It isn't a blister. It's a card album with a promo like Togedemaru SM44 is, and it has the same awful availability that the latter did of "only Target carries it, sometimes."

Seb

Aspiring Trainer
This is what happens when you make so many products no one cares about. All while simultaneously neglecting your Leagues and saturating them with cruddy promos that could easily just be the decent promos instead.

Kind of disgusted by the Shining Legends boxes moving all the cards I wanted into the premium products too.

Also it may not be Thursday but:

Throwback to B/W era when they openly apologized for releasing too many products like this and saying it won't happen again.

What kills me the most is that instead of cancelling pointless product, they cancel the important one.
Exactly! I REALLY was looking forward to the Landorus v Genesct too...