Event Seismitoad Giratina for Dallas Regionals

InfinityFyre

Aspiring Trainer
Hey fellow Pokemon players! I just wanted to get the opinion of the community on Seismitoad Giratina. The deck hasn’t really placed for a couple of regionals, but appears to be getting a growing amount interest. The deck definitely is strong against several of the top decks, if it’s running heavy amounts of energy denial, as it can lock Zoroark, Night March, and Toad Variants out of the game. However, how do you guys think it fairs against the rest of the meta game, especially Trevenant (why is this getting so much hype? Even with 4 E hammer the matchup is somewhat sketchy)

InfinityFyre

Aspiring Trainer
As a Night March player, I am not liking this.
Tell me about it. Night March is and forever will be my favorite deck! A couple of weeks ago, the meta looked SO favorable for it, but now there’s a pretty decent chance that they’ll be a somewhat significant amount of Toad, Giratina, and Trevenant decks running loose. :(

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
Does anyone have a Seismitoad/Giratina list? I've noticed that it's been getting hyped but can't find a viable list without going through a paywall.

I think it sounds very strong though, and if it has a good showing at Dallas, it could shake up how people build their decks moving forward.

InfinityFyre

Aspiring Trainer
Does anyone have a Seismitoad/Giratina list? I've noticed that it's been getting hyped but can't find a viable list without going through a paywall.

I think it sounds very strong though, and if it has a good showing at Dallas, it could shake up how people build their decks moving forward.
I’m working on one right now. The deck should still be very similar to the builds of last year. The changes it needs are definitely 4 E Hammer, as its stupidly good in this meta, Tapu Lele for Jirachi EX possibly, though I’m still unsure about it as this is one of the few decks that still runs Hoopa EX, and some other things. I’ll try to post a list this afternoon.

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
Tell me about it. Night March is and forever will be my favorite deck! A couple of weeks ago, the meta looked SO favorable for it, but now there’s a pretty decent chance that they’ll be a somewhat significant amount of Toad, Giratina, and Trevenant decks running loose. :(
I am actually preparing my Night march deck with Pokemon Rangers. Pokemon Ranger clears all effects of your opponents attack clearing the way for Night March to get some set up in. The vermin will never crush me! Although it will be tough playing without using my other supporters as often...
EDIT: Actually I'm pretty scared for my little Marchers but WE WILL PREVAIL!!!
EDIT 2: What if they ban Dimension Valley?

The Last Shaymin

Floof
I am actually preparing my Night march deck with Pokemon Rangers. Pokemon Ranger clears all effects of your opponents attack clearing the way for Night March to get some set up in. The vermin will never crush me! Although it will be tough playing without using my other supporters as often...
EDIT: Actually I'm pretty scared for my little Marchers but WE WILL PREVAIL!!!
EDIT 2: What if they ban Dimension Valley?
You have marshadow so if dimension valley is banned, not much will happen.
Also, I have found that 1 copy of delinquent greatly helps you when they have a silent lab.
I just decide to pretty much lose against item lock. Why bother putting in techs for the one matchup when you could be making it better for all the other matchups?

Alex Sableye

You have marshadow so if dimension valley is banned, not much will happen.
Also, I have found that 1 copy of delinquent greatly helps you when they have a silent lab.
I just decide to pretty much lose against item lock. Why bother putting in techs for the one matchup when you could be making it better for all the other matchups?
Because it's three matchups, and in my local league, a lot of people play special conditions, which Ranger helps with. Also, if Pumpkaboo can't attack, I lose vital Psychic Pokemon to attack Buzzwole with.
EDIT: Field blower deals with Silent Lab just fine, but also deals with Garbotoxin AND doesn't use my supporter for the turn.

Nyora

A Cat
Trev + ToadTina are being more looked at, ToadTina for reasons others have stated, and Trev because of Fighting that's being used against zoroark. I think ToadTina could do OK, but watch out for the mirror.

InfinityFyre

Aspiring Trainer
Trev + ToadTina are being more looked at, ToadTina for reasons others have stated, and Trev because of Fighting that's being used against zoroark. I think ToadTina could do OK, but watch out for the mirror.
What does Trev have to do with the fighting counters to Zoroak? Trev’s attack places damage counters, so it can’t hit for weakness on things like. Buzzword GX if that’s what your talking about.

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
What does Trev have to do with the fighting counters to Zoroak? Trev’s attack places damage counters, so it can’t hit for weakness on things like. Buzzword GX if that’s what your talking about.

Tree Slam can be used even with the Break.

InfinityFyre

Aspiring Trainer
Because it's three matchups, and in my local league, a lot of people play special conditions, which Ranger helps with. Also, if Pumpkaboo can't attack, I lose vital Psychic Pokemon to attack Buzzwole with.
EDIT: Field blower deals with Silent Lab just fine, but also deals with Garbotoxin AND doesn't use my supporter for the turn.
Tree Slam can be used even with the Break.
If yourusing treeslam repeatedly against any deck, your in trouble. Besides, it can’t even one-shot something like Buzzwole, or any relevant EX or GX for that matter.

TheJollyFlyingMan

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Why has nobody ever dubbed this deck "Battletoads and Double Dragon"?

On a related note I wonder if Mismagius from CRI has any use in Expanded as a 1-energy Chaos Wheel user. I don't like that it's a stage 1 though

Nyora

A Cat
Resistance and of course Tree Slam.

Alex Sableye

All attacks place damage counters! :p Anyways Trev has access to Tree Slam, which does have access to weakness.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Trev also has 4 E Hammer, item lock, and has a 50-50 Zoro matchup, if not better. But that's going off topic.

Tina Toad hasn't been placing well because it's been neglected by good players. If it became a meta competitor again, it easily hits tier 1. 4 E Hammer in the deck isn't necessary with Giratina, Crushing Hammer and Puzzles, just stick to 2. I actually think the deck should run Espeon-EX as a one-of, to render Candy decks defenseless to item lock. If you have a Muscle Banded Toad And you Laser with no Burbank, they take 60 damage going into their turn. If they're still poisoned and take another 10 going back into your turn, they go down to low enough HP that Espeon would likely be able to Shine for the KO. Granted, you wouldn't do that in that exact order, since your opponent would get off item lock relatively soon. But do that to 2 or 3 of their attackers and you're in business.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
I read the article about that also.

It can work as a counter but the deck is clunky and it has a lot of matchups with bad win rate against decks that will also be played.

InfinityFyre

Aspiring Trainer
All attacks place damage counters! :p Anyways Trev has access to Tree Slam, which does have access to weakness.
That's not true actually. most attacks deal damage, which are considered damage counters after the attack is executed. Silent Fear places damage counters, so its its not affected by weakness and resistance.

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
I read the article about that also.

It can work as a counter but the deck is clunky and it has a lot of matchups with bad win rate against decks that will also be played.
I mean, I don't really see how it's clunky, it plays cards from hand, then has good draw power to draw more. Before Seismitoad/Tina died in standard way back when, there was a variant running around that played Bursting Balloons to mimic what Trev did, and it wasn't clunky at all. Now that we have Lele(better than Jirachi for that format's expanded), and Computer Search WITH Lasers and Colress, I don't see any way that the deck doesn't improve how consistent it was when it was popular. And what bad win rates are you referring to? The way you worded it wasn't clear. Are you referring to beating decks that don't place well, thus lowering your resistance during the tournament, or it has bad matchups to other anti-meta decks? Gardy is a complicated matchup that comes down to how well each players draws, and how they play. Trevenant seems like an autoloss, so I'll give that one to you. That Landorus/Buzzwole deck needs tools and special Energy, so I don't see that being at all a problem. And just about everything else will be playing at the bottom tables after round 2.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
I mean, I don't really see how it's clunky, it plays cards from hand, then has good draw power to draw more. Before Seismitoad/Tina died in standard way back when, there was a variant running around that played Bursting Balloons to mimic what Trev did, and it wasn't clunky at all. Now that we have Lele(better than Jirachi for that format's expanded), and Computer Search WITH Lasers and Colress, I don't see any way that the deck doesn't improve how consistent it was when it was popular. And what bad win rates are you referring to? The way you worded it wasn't clear. Are you referring to beating decks that don't place well, thus lowering your resistance during the tournament, or it has bad matchups to other anti-meta decks? Gardy is a complicated matchup that comes down to how well each players draws, and how they play. Trevenant seems like an autoloss, so I'll give that one to you. That Landorus/Buzzwole deck needs tools and special Energy, so I don't see that being at all a problem. And just about everything else will be playing at the bottom tables after round 2.

Playing against deck that does not play special energy seems hard. Darkrai and Volcanion decks come to mind. Getting DDE and DCE on the second turn seems hard to achieve in a consistent manner. I mean i could still be wrong but it doesn't seems clutch to me.

Regarding Trevenant, i guess you could easily play Latias-Ex in the deck. He is an auto-win in most cases granted they do not play uncommon attackers or Silent Lab.