Help Scizor in 2018?

craig_jp

Aspiring Trainer
Hi, So I'm new to the TCG coming over from the VGC and I have just learnt Scizor decks used to exist a year or so ago. Now Scizor might not be the "best" Pokémon but it is definitely my all time favourite and wondered if anyone had any ideas to make this viable to a point again?

I've also learnt Volcanion decks are quite common and is a problem in itself but I would appreciate it if someone could help me or give ideas on what Pokémon to partner Scizor with against such matchups and in general.

This will be the first deck I will be building. Budget is no issue.

Thank you in advanced :)

I just wrote this in another thread
My main point I think, for a newcomer that wants to play at a competitive level - is that you can't just invest in a single deck. Everyone will have their favourite decks of course, but what is the best choice to play this month, will nearly always be different than what was the best play last month. It is best to invest in the core of a deck - the Leles/Support/Tools & Items that will be interchangeable - and change up your approach and deck around that core from month to month depending on what you expect to face. Half the game is won by reading the meta in advance, and choosing accordingly.

If you are just beginning the game, it is worth bearing in mind you really invest in a deck core that can be used in future in all of your different decks, then change out your attackers etc. around your cards.

That said, if you are playing for fun and not at a competitive level, Scizor still has a few tricks up it's sleeve, and is bolstered by the amount of upcoming Metal support. Some ideas:
  • Mega Scizor can remove Special Energy (and there are a lot of Special Energy reliant decks around at the moment), so a disruptive approach could work. It can be a little clunky as a Mega though. The new Cyrus Prism card (see front page), can help this strategy.
  • There is a new Metal Stadium too, that allows you bring back two Metal Energy cards from the discard pile. So you can retreat or max potion, and get the energy back easily enough.
  • If you stick with Scizor-EX, it could be paired maybe, with Dawn Wings Necrozma-GX with a float stone attached. This would allow you to always change in and continually hit for 110 for [M][M]. (140 with Choice Band)

In order to shore up the fire weakness, you have four real options.
  • Weakness policy tool card removes weakness. It can be easily removed though.
  • Frying Pan tool card removes weakness for [M] types, while also buffing for 30 less damage.
  • Alter of the Sunne Stadium removes weakness on [M] or [F] pokemon. Also easily removed.
  • Build a deck where you have an alternate attacker that isn't weak to fire.

Last edited:
Alternatively, another option is to use Scizor as a tech, meaning you run one or two copies of it for a specific matchup, but the deck isn't centered around it. There was a Silvally-GX/Metal deck recently that tech'd in a copy of Scizor-EX I think.

Otherwise, I agree with everything Yog said. Focus on getting all your staple cards first because those cards will be used in every deck you build. Professor Sycamore, N, Guzma, Ultra Ball, etc.

If budget isn't an issue, then you must prioritize stuff in this order:

2/3 Tapu Lele-GX
Meta Supporters Set (Prof. Sycamore, N, Brigette, Guzma)
Meta Items Set (Ultra Ball, Field Blower, Rescue Stretcher, Choice Band, Float Stone)

After you have that, then we start talking about Scizor. Like others said, Scizor isn't in a comfortable position right now, but I totally get that "favorite 'mon" vibe.
You basically have two choices here, none to write home about:

- Metal Silvally-GX (look around, very easy to find) splashing 2 Scizor EX
- M-Scizor EX/Garbodor (with the Garbotoxin ability)

The first choice is made worse with Scizor's inclusion, but it's doable. For a safer investment, look no further. Even if you outgrow Scizor, you still have a great deck to adapt into competition.
The second is outdated as nobody pays attention to Scizor anymore. As a better Scizor-centric strategy, I'd go for this one.

Since the first deck is very well covered around the web, I'll just dab on the second choice for a moment: you could probably get away with a disruption strategy right now, using Kartana-GX, Team Skull Grunt, Crushing Hammer and Garbodor's ability lock. Splash a copy of Trashalanche Garbodor with Rainbow Energy and you might have something. Put some Altar of the Sunne, accept your Volcanion bad match-up and hope that Garbodor gives you a fighting chance.

Thanks for the replies. Ive bought a load of cards already as I literally had nothing, some of them include the following-

3 Lele, 4 Guzma, 4 N, 4 Sycamore, 4 Ultra ball, 4 Float Stone, 2 Choice band, 2 Field blower, 4 Rescue scretcher, 2 Brigette, 2 Acerola, 1 kukui, 1 Mallow, 2 Evosoda, 4 Max elixir, 4 DCE, 4 Rainbow Energy

No max potions though

My next question is what would Mega Scizor be like paired with Zoroark GX? Bad? I'm still new to TCG but I have noticed a lot of people running different things with Zoroark.
Or would just running basic Scizor EX be best?

Scizor EX: 4
M Scizor: 3
zorua: 4
Zoroark GX: 3
Zoroark: 1

Sorry for the questions, @K-Genesis I will also give the Silvally GX a try at some point but considering ive just started including TCGO I have no cards on there other than the theme decks so I cant see how good or how bad the decks are for myself.

I'll probably end up playing Zoroark GX with something else but I wanted to try it with Scizor as like you said I've got the fav Mon vibe but I'm sure continuously loosing will change that :).

Zoroark pretty much goes with everything, that draw power is too good. Combined with Mallow you can afford to draw exactly what you need, when you need it. A thought that comes to mind is a mix of the GX but also the baby Stand In Zoroark (BKT91). You stick a Float Stone on Zoroark, and now you can Stand In and retreat to Scizor-EX each turn. Meaning it's Gale Thrust attack hits for 110 each time (140 with Choice Band).

You will have to settle for a 2HKO strategy instead of 1HKO, but thanks to the draw power of the GX, you can afford to pick and choose your battles.

M-Scizor EX/Zoroark-GX would have zero synergy outside of Zoroark-GX's raw draw power, which might actually make it easy to handle Mega pokemon issues.
Maybe Zoroark BKT could support Scizor EX (probably forgoing M-Scizor EX altogether) with Stand In shenanigans, so there's that. By that point, I'd also add Mewtwo EVO to deal with Fighting types, since it attacks with *(C)(C), making it a bit of a toolbox. Instead of Choice Band, you should use Fighting Fury Belt (and Dhelmise as support) for this archetype, since you're settling for 2HKOs anyway, and you hit for 120 dmg this way (130 dmg with Dhelmise) , OHKOing important players, like Garbodor (Tapu Koko [PRO], Registeel and Volcanion with Dhelmise).

I'd still stick with M-Scizor/Garbodor, though. Easier to piece together online, since you have nothing right now, and with a more crippling effect on the meta. But your idea doesn't sound so bad, though.

Since you don't have anything online, might as well add that you should rack up 500 coins, get one of the two latest theme decks (Kommo-o or Hydreigon theme) and run theme tournaments with the tickets you get. Do your best to win those tournaments and farm boosters so you can trade for the stuff you want. Scizor parts (Spirit Link included) should only need a booster each (you can ask for M-Scizor and Spirit Link for a single booster). Fastest way to set up a first deck.

*(C) being colorless energy, each type has a similar symbology, like (M) stands for Metal energy

Thanks. I've been playing quite a few theme deck battles and running across quite a few Incineroar ones. Is the Hydreigon one better than incineroar?

Also I know its a lot to ask but wondered if one of you two could help build a skeleton/example deck for me. I mainly need help with the Pokémon and Energy mix + Scizor spirit link mix if any? But anyway here are the Pokémon that I own:-

4 Zorua
3 Zoroark (mind Jack)
4 Zoroark GX
3 Tapu lele
4 Scizor EX
4 Mega Scizor
1 Tapu koko Promo
1 Mewtwo EVO
1 Dhelmise
4 Registeel
4 Type Null
3 Silvally GX
1 Drampa GX
2 Kartana GX
1 Hoopa (shining legends)

Those are the Pokémon, I think I want to try Zoroark/Scizor for now but ive added the others incase there was something you could do with them.

Anyway again thank you

Last edited:
3 Zorua
2 Zoroark-GX
1 Zoroark
3 Scizor EX
3 M-Scizor EX
1 Mewtwo
1 Kartana
2 Tapu Lele

4 N
4 Prof. Sycamore
3 Guzma
1 Brigette
1 Lillie
4 Ultra Ball
4 Scizor Spirit Link
2 Field Blower
2 Rescue Stretcher
2 Choice Band
2 Float Stone
2 Crushing Hammer

8 Metal Energy
2 Double Colorless Energy

Just tossed in random stuff of a consistent basis. Use that to build upon your idea.

Back