• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Sableye / Vileplume Mill Deck (Guardians Rising)

Darkness3827

Aspiring Trainer
This deck is a douchy mill deck that uses the new Sableye card in Guardians Rising to block opponent supporter usage as well as the item lock of Vileplume. This basically means the opponent can only use stadiums, abilities, and attacks to get around the lock. Also you still have supporters yourself to force them to deck out and keep energy off their Pokémon. Since the card isn't out yet in the US it is all purely hypothetical, so advice to make it run smoother would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the Sableye card for those who are unfamiliar:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sableye_(Alolan_Moonlight_31)

Pokemon: 14
4 Sableye (Guardians Rising)
3-3-3 Vileplume line (thought here is you want to run less basics so you will start with Sableye more often, but you want to have extra Gloom / Vileplume to make sure you can get them out more consistently. 3-3-3 might just be better because I might be overrating how bad starting with Oddish is)
3 Shaymin EX (maybe more is better as saving supporters for milling the opponent and keeping them off energy is crucial)

Trainers: 38
4 Ultra Ball (mainly for getting Vileplume out ASAP)
4 Trainer's Mail (basically act as extra copies of UB and FOGP, 4 might be excessive though)
1 Float Stone (mainly so I can retreat out Vileplume or Shaymin if I start with them, also nice to save supporter for the turn in case Vileplume gets pulled out from an attack or ability)

4 Forest of Giant Plants (again, vital for getting Vileplume out ASAP)

4 Team Flare Grunt (Keeping the opponent off energy is good)
4 Team Skull Grunt (Again keeping the opponent off Energy is crucial)
4 Team Rocket's Handywork (More mill shenanigans)
4 Birch's Observations (Avoiding Sycamore to prevent milling myself too much, and avoiding N to prevent the opponent from getting extra cards, although maybe it would be good as a 1 of)
2 Shauna
2 Olympia
3 Lysandre

Energy: 8
8 Dark Energy

Again this is just theoretical so I have done 0 testing with it and I rarely run item lock decks so it probably needs a lot of editing. My main question I guess would be an I running too many of the disruption/mill cards and I need to focus more on draw support. Also am I running enough energy and will it be easy to get Vileplume and Sableye (with energy) out first turn?

Last edited:

mirdo

Seagull Overlord and Business Entrepreneur
This list is great!.... if you want to never be aloud to step foot into your local card playing place :^).
Nah. I dont have much exp myself but imma give you my thought aswell.

I dont think starting with Oddish is not that bad. If you really have to let one die and oddish it self doesnt have much retreat costs anyway. Id definietly go for 3-3-3 or 3-2-3 because Plume is so crucial for you deck.

Or go for a 2-2-2. Thats prob plenty aswell. But 2-3-3 seems none sensical.

You don't particually need to have certain cards in the deck do you? Especially for the start you might actually wanna play Lilly instead of Shauna. Also you got 4 Birch's in so that'd be enough.

Last thought i have is maybe a Hex Maniac? And Maybe something like Steven (i think he gives you energy doesnt he?) And Skyla could help as one or two offs.

Darkness3827

Aspiring Trainer
This list is great!... if you want to never be aloud to step foot into your local card playing place :^).
Nah. I dont have much exp myself but imma give you my thought aswell.

Yeah lol, no way in hell I am playing this deck locally more than maybe once to show it off. This is more of a tournament deck.

As for your suggestions:
Steven sounds interesting and much better than Skyla as it gives you energy as well, and getting items will be useless once Vileplume is out, the only advantage of Skyla is that I would be able to get Silent Lab (which I talk about below) should I need it, but I think the times where that is useful will be rare. The one problem with both options is that it uses up your supporter for the turn which is why I have the Trainers Mail in there currently.

Lillie is starting to sound better than Shauna since I will be able to get 8 first turn (which is when I will likely want it), the one problem with it is that chances are I will have a lot of unused cards in my hand since I run so many supporters. So I likely won't be drawing many cards in the first place with Lillie. Maybe a card like maintenance would be good for reducing hand size and getting mill cards that I want later in the game out of my hand to make Lillie and/or Shaymin more valuable.

I think you are likely right that a 3-3-3 Vileplume line is prolly best. 3-2-3 I don't really like unless you are running a rare candy and Forest of Giant Plants makes Rare Candy inferior to a stage 1 in almost all situations.

Hex Maniac sounds like a terrible idea since it will take off Vileplume's ability as well. I thought about it as well, but giving them 1 turn to use all their items is more than enough to get most decks set up. One option would be Silent Lab. I don't think it is standard anymore but it blocks all abilities from basics, so Vileplume would be exempt from it. The one problem is it would be a 2nd stadium and Delinquent would become less useful in certain situations.

As for what to remove, Pokémon Ranger might just be too situational, Jolteon is a problem with this deck but 2 Rangers prolly won't turn the battle around anyway and Ranger isn't doing much in any other situation. Also Lysandre might be a bit useless since the deck is using 0 damage. It is nice to try and force someone into a Pokémon they can't attack with to stall further, but 3 might be excessive. Another card that might be excessive is Trainers Mail. Chances are I'm not using 4 in the first turn, although I think it is important to have cards I can get out of my hand early game to get maximum value out of Shaymin/Lillie.

With all that said here are the changes I am considering:
Lillie over Shauna

+1 Oddish
+1 Shaymin
+1 Steven

-2 Pokémon Ranger
-1 Lysandre

Also I'm not ruling out Maintenance or Silent Lab.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
I don't this should be a mill deck vile plume makes you lose some milling tools (like shovel in expanded) and your opponent can't mill themselves with Sycamore...

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
This is kind of a weird hybrid here, the thing with Plumelock is you mill yourself pretty hard if you want it to get out consistently on turn 1. A lot of plumelock decks run x4 acro bike, x4 trainers' mail (4 isn't excessive, it's standard in these decks), x4 ultras and x3-4 revitalizer, plus level balls if you're running decidueye. It's not at all uncommon to have to dig down to 30 cards to get that turn 1 Vileplume that makes this style of deck so obnoxious, and if you do that then block your opponent from being able to use his own draw supporters, you will mill first most of the time unless you get some really good TRH flips.

And I think this is a deck where things will go very badly very quickly if you fail the turn 1 lock. Even with turn 1 lock, you still have at least one turn where your opponent can use supporters, and unlike Lurantis/Decidueye which have 200+ HP, Sableye has 60. Most decks have very little problem getting enough resources on the board to do 60 damage relatively quickly. Even if they aren't quick about it, you can't really use enough energy disruption cards to keep their offense down indefinitely. Unless you get good discards with TRH as well, they will eventually accumulate enough energy on the board to start thumping your sableyes (unless it's a DCE only deck, even then you need all 4 flare grunts to land).

Delinquent doesn't really help you here since if you have item lock up, which is 100% necessary for this deck to have a win condition, your opponent will often have a hand full of dead cards he doesn't care about, it'll increase the discard pile without really disrupting their gameplan most of the time. Skull Grunt would probably be better as a way to attack energy in the hand.

Darkness3827

Aspiring Trainer
This is kind of a weird hybrid here, the thing with Plumelock is you mill yourself pretty hard if you want it to get out consistently on turn 1.

I'm not too worried about milling myself to get Plume out, since I will be able to use cards like Birch's Observations or Shauna to replenish my deck size while my opponent will not (assuming I can keep Sableye up). I can see however that it might take too long to mill the opponent to be able to keep Sableye up the entire game, and there isn't much I can do about that except hope better mill/disruption supporters get printed soon.

I do agree however that Team Skull Grunt is a much better option than Delinquent, so I will change it.

Draskk

Blast From The Past
This deck is a douchy mill deck that uses the new Sableye card in Guardians Rising to block opponent supporter usage as well as the item lock of Vileplume. This basically means the opponent can only use stadiums, abilities, and attacks to get around the lock. Also you still have supporters yourself to force them to deck out and keep energy off their Pokémon. Since the card isn't out yet in the US it is all purely hypothetical, so advice to make it run smoother would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the Sableye card for those who are unfamiliar:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Sableye_(Alolan_Moonlight_31)

Pokemon: 14
4 Sableye (Guardians Rising)
3-3-3 Vileplume line (thought here is you want to run less basics so you will start with Sableye more often, but you want to have extra Gloom / Vileplume to make sure you can get them out more consistently. 3-3-3 might just be better because I might be overrating how bad starting with Oddish is)
3 Shaymin EX (maybe more is better as saving supporters for milling the opponent and keeping them off energy is crucial)

Trainers: 38
4 Ultra Ball (mainly for getting Vileplume out ASAP)
4 Trainer's Mail (basically act as extra copies of UB and FOGP, 4 might be excessive though)
1 Float Stone (mainly so I can retreat out Vileplume or Shaymin if I start with them, also nice to save supporter for the turn in case Vileplume gets pulled out from an attack or ability)

4 Forest of Giant Plants (again, vital for getting Vileplume out ASAP)

4 Team Flare Grunt (Keeping the opponent off energy is good)
4 Team Skull Grunt (Again keeping the opponent off Energy is crucial)
4 Team Rocket's Handywork (More mill shenanigans)
4 Birch's Observations (Avoiding Sycamore to prevent milling myself too much, and avoiding N to prevent the opponent from getting extra cards, although maybe it would be good as a 1 of)
2 Shauna
2 Olympia
3 Lysandre

Energy: 8
8 Dark Energy

Again this is just theoretical so I have done 0 testing with it and I rarely run item lock decks so it probably needs a lot of editing. My main question I guess would be an I running too many of the disruption/mill cards and I need to focus more on draw support. Also am I running enough energy and will it be easy to get Vileplume and Sableye (with energy) out first turn?
You. You are evil.

Anyways, some Sycamores would be good. Use 2 if your worried about milling yourself. But you know how to maks this a TRULY evil deck? BREAKpoint Slowking. MUAHAHAHA!

Niflheim4

Aspiring Trainer
How are you going to mill your opponent if they can't sycamore? Having them draw one at a time and stick them with a 40 card hand? That doesn't really seem tournament viable for the potential to time out into a draw.

Trev419

Aspiring Trainer
I have a friend who plays this deck seems like a great idea but it REALLY does not work it has a problem decking itself out and it can't mill fast enough and your sablyeys get knocked out very quickly and even if you slow your opponent down they will eventually knock out your sablyeys.